Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damngoodtimes
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

well, good thing I didn't buy my kid a #12 Browns jersey...

I like the way the Browns are going after it. Weeden has the size and arm strength that you need. T-Rich is going to be a stud. Glad they didn't let TB slide up ahead and grab him.
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i guess McCoy Tweeted "welcome to the team" after Richardson was picked, and didn't Tweet anything after Weeden was picked.

i cannot confirm the rumor that Brady Quinn called McCoy after the Weeden pick and said "i told you so."
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

It's still May, but Tribe's on a bit of a roll...

...keep it up, fellas

Comment

• damngoodtimes
          Sniper
          • Jan 2004

and the swoon may well be underway....

After a great series against the Tigers, the doors fell off against the PaleHose. Sox on such a run that our Tribe finds itself 1.5 games back all of a sudden. Big week coming up. Twins in town is a chance to right the ship before heading to Detroit. Then Interleague begins.

I read this morning that they might actually get Hernandez/Carmona back this year.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
            Sniper
            • Jan 2004

tough break for the Cavs in the lottery. That's two years in a row that the Cavs have seen their own top 3 pick fall to #4 in the lottery. Thank God for the cheap-ass Clippers that we got Kyrie...

looks like Bradley Beal might be the choice at #4 - Cavs need some wing players who can score, so that would be a good start.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

well, couldn't get Beal, we'll have to see how Waiters works out. Should give us some wing scoring, so that's a plus. Cavs are building a solid young core.

Browns took a bit of risk in the supplemental yesterday on this Gordon kid, but he's physically a stud and they get him a year early, so we'll see how that works out, too. God knows they needed a WR.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Browns getting new ownership!
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• redblkwht
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

You guys ok with new owner/s to be? If it was my bears, i wouldnt like the idea of
                  part owner of the vikings picking up the tab..IMO

BTW on paper the browns should be up and comers soon, those picks are stellar.

EUAS

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i'm not much of a fan. my only wish is that the Browns improve so i don't have to listen to my co-workers cry about them any more.

Haslam had to sell his interest in the Steelers before buying in to the Browns. i don't see a problem with that. at least he had some experience with a successful franchise. Carmen Policy was part of the ownership group when the Browns returned...okay, he wasn't from a hated rival team but he was still an outsider.

i think it's going to be interesting what happens with Holmgren, Heckert, and Shurmur. the Browns already went through a season with a lame duck coach, until Holmgren brought in his pick. does Haslam come in this year, suffer with what he was left, and make a change at the end of the season?

i've heard some people say that Haslam, with his Steeler ties, could possibly bring in Bill Cohwer to coach. coulda swore i read that Cowher told the Rooneys that if he returned to coaching that it wouldn't be in the AFC North. we shall see.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by redblkwht
                      You guys ok with new owner/s to be? If it was my bears, i wouldnt like the idea of
                      part owner of the vikings picking up the tab..IMO

BTW on paper the browns should be up and comers soon, those picks are stellar.
                      I think the whole angle of "Steelers fan buying the Browns" (which was the silly espn.com title) is just put out there for more hits. This guy is from TN; since they had no NFL team back then, he grew up (like a lot of kids back then) as a Cowboys fan. He later says he became a Colts fan (which is obviously because of the Peyton Manning - UT connection). He wanted to buy the Titans; when that didn't work out, he got in on the Steelers when the Rooney family was forced to sell part of the team.

At some point after that, somebody asked him if he was now a Steelers fan. As one of the owners, of course he said yes. It's not like the guy grew up waving a Terrible Towel. He clearly wants a majority stake in a franchise, and the Browns will be that opportunity for him. So, now, he'll be a huge Browns fan, of course. It's really as simple as that. So, no, I could care less where he comes from.

Lots of the locals seem thrilled to be getting somebody other than Randy Lerner; I'm not so sure. Haslam looks like he'll be much more involved/active. That may be nice from a PR front, but I'm not sure it makes the team any better. Usually seems to lead to the Snyder/Jones model of over-spending on free agents and splashy moves that don't necessarily equal wins. I think Lerner could have been a perfect owner if he could hire the right football men (local guy, shuts up and lets the football guys do their jobs). The problem he always had was not hiring the right football guys.

Lerner might've finally got it right with Holmgren. I know lots of folks are very impatient on this front, because we haven't seen an increase in wins, but I agree with the method by which Holmgren/Heckert are trying to build the team: draft well, try to acquire extra picks, don't overspend on free agents that will eat up your cap space and only get you from "lousy" to "mediocre". Unfortunately, that takes time that it looks like they won't get. Any new owner wants to bring in his own folks. Other than a lack of talent (which I think is related), what the Browns have really suffered from since coming back in '99 is a lack of a consistent vision. Every two or three years its another new regime. You never get anywhere that way.

So, while this MIGHT be a good thing long term, it looks like in the short term it will be another reboot. This coming at a time when I think there might be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I don't seem them being playoff contenders this year (too many rookies), but they have increased the overall talent level that should pay dividends starting in '13.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

sold! for...ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

$700 mil now, the remainder in four years.

Comment

• Unchainme
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          i've heard some people say that Haslam, with his Steeler ties, could possibly bring in Bill Cohwer to coach. coulda swore i read that Cowher told the Rooneys that if he returned to coaching that it wouldn't be in the AFC North. we shall see.
                          I always felt a guy like Cowher or Gruden would fit here like a fucking glove.

Browns fans love a guy with some passion, and we've not had that since fucking 1988.
                          Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Art Modell...dead. or close to it.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

So he left a big Cleveland Steamer in some hospital bed?

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                                Sniper
                                • Jan 2004

can't get myself too riled up about old Art taking the dirt nap.

however, I just read that the Browns are going to do something "appropriate" to acknowledge his death at Sunday's game. BAD IDEA! I know what the drunk fuckers at the stadium are going to do, and it's just gonna make Cleveland look bad. Mind you, I love those drunk fuckers (I just think they are misunderstood), but it's gonna be ugly.

Comment

Working...