X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
    Does Dave sing his bad version of DTNA, or his really really bad version of DTNA?

Just curious.
    He sings in a very weird way. I hadn't listened to that particular tune on the videos of the Japanese concerts, it made me real perplex. But as Vaijuju says, it's OK once the first verse is done.

I'm listening to the album again, this time at home with my sound system - JVC, the right tool for the job.
    Better than in the car, though my stereo is pretty good.

First of all, the overall sound is pretty good, very adequate IMHO. The mix is fair to every band member.

I didn't know Al's drums solo had become so short (I honestly skip them), but I found it very catchy and entertaining with Ed and Wolf's participation (did they edit it?). His drumming is impeccable on every track.

Wolfgang nails every single tune on bass. The boy can play. As for backing vocals, it sure is different from what they would be if it were CVH, but he often makes up for Dave's not singing what he should at certain moments.

As for Ed, he DELIVERS... His sound is there, and he sets each part of each song on fire. Al and Wolf play full tilt along fitting in perfectly, and Dave, though he isn't in the same shape as he was in 2007/08, is great on almost all songs. Yes, great!

The weak tracks for Dave are She's the Woman (transition between verse and chorus), Tattoo (a setlist mistake for the whole band, though I still dig the studio version), Dance the Night Away (first verse) and probably China Town (but I keep skipping it).
    I'm listening to Jump just now, it seems that the way he sings it, changing melodies, he feels like singing it. Still not the moment I'm waiting for in a VH concert, but this version makes it.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the shipwreck we were fearing. To be listened to on adequate sound sytems.

Basically, even if it isn't what we consider is the "definitive" VH live album, and though it was recorded during a single night,
    THIS DOUBLE LIVE ALBUM IS A BLAST!!!!

I'm the One, Everybody Wants Some, Somebody Get me a Doctor, Hot for Teacher, Women in Love, Romeo Delight, Mean Street, Beautiful Girls and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love are really breathtaking. The best tunes here are Mean Street Everybody Wants Some, Hot for Teacher and Romeo Delight IMO.

I think we can be happy with this live album, waiting for the glorious Oakland '81 release, someday... Something else for sure. But man how they played tight and delivered (Ed ahead) on this (absolutely not disappointing at all, on the contrary) Tokyo concert!
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

I guess we take what we can get then ? I'll burn the best on one disc.

Comment

• Monkeeman
        Groupie
        • Jul 2012

Why is there a one second silent break between every track? Normally live albums are continuous. Too much echo on Roth's solo vocal at the start of Ice Cream Man. Overall, bar the occasional dodgy vocal from Dave, I am really enjoying it. Still praying they open the vaults for some classic 78 - 85 era VH though.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
          But man how they played tight and delivered on this Tokyo concert!
          Nah...

I'd say lack luster at best...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Seriously...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

iTunes download is starting now.....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• perrin29
                Head Fluffer
                • Jan 2012

Mine is ready to go now. I'll hold off til Kimmel is over. Picking up the cd in the am.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  Nah...

I'd say lack luster at best...
                  Have you listened to the CDs?
                  posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                  posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                    Have you listened to the CDs?

Stuff like that isnt a prerequisite for Elvis to be an expert in it.
                    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Nov 2004

I mean seriously...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

I just listened to the digital copy with earbuds flying out west. I don't give a shit what you guys say, I think its damn good. The band is tight, Dave for the most part sounds good, and the quality of the recording is great.

Yeah, I don't like it either that there's no new material, and still no Mike, but this is better than nothing, and DEFINITELY better than fucking Hagar.

And you're damn right I'm going to see them out on tour again.
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

They must not have had the cabin oxygen level adjusted right, in that airplane. Come back to earth, then try and listen to it on a real sound system.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                            I just listened to the digital copy with earbuds flying out west. I don't give a shit what you guys say, I think its damn good. The band is tight, Dave for the most part sounds good, and the quality of the recording is great.
                            WVH Magical Mystery Earbuds - on sale now! Get yours and hear what you've been missing!
                            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Yeah, I don't like it either that there's no new material, and still no Mike, but this is better than nothing, and DEFINITELY better than fucking Hagar.

And you're damn right I'm going to see them out on tour again.
                              I listed to the live album beginning to end last night, downloaded from iTunes, and thought it was exceptionally good. The mix is a bit baffling, I suppose, with a lack of room ambience etc., the most noticeable thing that detracts from it. I can't see what Clearmountain has really done - sounds like a soundboard recording.

But, having seen the show on YT already, I knew it was a really good energetic show ... especially if you just went with it, rather than dipping into individual clips / songs and noticing something was a bit 'off' about Dave at times. But When you listen from start to finish even Dave's lapses don't seem that odd - really! It is just a warts and all live show, with the mistakes and Dave's lounge singer approach to a couple of songs, left in. I give them credit for that, even though I would have liked a bit more reverb in the mix.

One of the songs near the end - can't remember, and I can't check now - Dave does some brilliant improvised scatting, and says to Ed 'wait, try and play along with this.' Moments like that are great. Some songs are done brilliantly.

Want to blast it in my car, which is the best sound system I have, but need it on CD ...

So that will be two facking purchases already, as I can no longer burn CDs ...
                              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I wonder what the Japs thought about them playing "China Town"?

Comment

Working...