Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Is Mobama Stupid???? Says Seafood From Gulf Of Mexico Is Safe To Eat

Not only after the oil spill, but after BP dumped thousands of tons of fucking solvent into the ocean down, I would think the seafood would be fairly hazardous to one's health.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100614/...il_spill_obama

Obama sees light ahead for oil-damaged Gulf Coast
    AP

THEODORE, Ala. – In a newly optimistic tone, President Barack Obama promised Monday that "things are going to return to normal" along the stricken Gulf Coast and the region's fouled waters will be in better shape than before the catastrophic BP oil spill.

He declared Gulf seafood safe to eat and said his administration was redoubling inspections and monitoring to make sure it stays that way. And his White House said Monday it had wrested apparent agreement from BP PLC to set up an independent, multibillion-dollar compensation fund for people and businesses suffering from the spill's effects.

Obama said the goal was to pay legitimate claims "justly, fairly, promptly."

With Obama hoping to convince a frightened Gulf Coast and a skeptical nation that he is in command, he is marshaling the tools at a president's disposal: a two-day visit via Air Force One, helicopter and boat in the stricken region, a prime-time speech Tuesday night from the symbolically important stage of the Oval Office and a face-to-face White House confrontation Wednesday with the executives of the oil company that leased the rig that exploded April 20 and led to the leak of millions of gallons of coast-devastating crude.

From an enormous waterside staging facility here, one of 17 across Gulf Coast where cleanup crews ready themselves and equipment to attack the spill, Obama mixed warnings that the recovery could take a while with unqualified optimism about the ultimate result.

"I can't promise folks here in Theodore or across the Gulf Coast that the oil will be cleaned up overnight. It will not be," he said, after encouraging hard-hatted workers as they hosed off and repaired oil-blocking boom. "It's going to be painful for a lot of folks."

But, he said, "things are going to return to normal. ... I am confident that we're going to be able to leave the Gulf Coast in better shape than it was before."

That pledge was reminiscent of George W. Bush's promise to rebuild the region "even better and stronger" than before Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Bush could not make good on that promise, and Obama did not spell out how he would fulfill his.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not eating any of that shit for a long time.

I'm sorry I don't trust our Government.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

If you want to be frightened of things you don't understand like some medieval peasant then that's up to you.

Obama is not a marine engineer.

If he is saying this then that means that the best American scientists have ascertained that the sea food is safe.

I think some people are forgetting just how much water is in the Gulf...

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    If you want to be frightened of things you don't understand like some medieval peasant then that's up to you.

If he is saying this then that means that the best American scientists have ascertained that the sea food is safe.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

All Americans are stupid....Haven't you figured that out yet?

And before you get all worked up...remember...you idiots elected George Bush TWICE.....

So I have proof you're all fucking stupid......

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post

And before you get all worked up...remember...you idiots elected George Bush TWICE.....

2000 popular vote = BUSH 50,456,002 GORE = 50,999,897

2004 popular vote = BUSH 62,040,606 KERRY = 59,028,109

US POPULATION = 307 MILLION

Bush wasnt elected in 2000, he was appointed by the USSC

And he stole Ohio in 2004

Regardless, we "all" didn't "elect" Bush twice, you drunken troll.

But hey, we like it when you come around every few weeks so we can bitchslap the Molson out of your mouth.

7. Thanked LoungeMachine for this KICKASS post:

Little Texan (06-16-2010)

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

]

or just how little critical reasoning certain people have...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Um, Obama said "seafood is safe." He didn't say where the seafood came from, you silly gooses. I think this was a message meant for panicky bitches that think all fish in the seafood section of the supermarket, or the local fishermans' warf, contains hydrocarbon infested fish. I think he's trying to say that seafood OVERALL is safe, and that there are many sources such as Alaska, so don't stop buying it...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Yet you voted for a conservative that sucked his cock? So who's dumber?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knuckleboner View Post
    or just how little critical reasoning certain people have...
    The concise Brittanica Encyclopedia estimates the surface of the Gulf of Mexico to be 1,550,000 km2 that is 1,550,000,000,000 m2 .

The maximum depth of the Gulf is 5203 m. The average depth is somwhere between 0 and that value. I guess 1/4 the maximum depth (because it gave me an almost round number) of 1300 m.
    Multiplying 1,550,000,000,000 m2 x 1300m = 2.015 x 10 E 15 m3 or 5.3 X 10 E 17 US Gallons (give or take 1223gallons) or about 650 Quadrillion gallons (650,000,000,000,000,000)

If there has been 100 million gallons leaked then if everything was mixed up then that means in each gallon of gulf water there would be 1/6500000000 of a gallon of water.

That works out at about a millionth of a teaspoon of oil per gallon.

I'm not saying it isn't very serious and a total misery but it's not near the coast so maybe it isn't going to be as bad as people fear and you would think most seafood will be fine.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-14-2010 at 11:31 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Obama isn't stupid. He's just a liar. I trust him as much as I trust my dog to guard my hamburger and fries.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Obama isn't stupid. He's just a liar. I trust him as much as I trust my dog to guard my hamburger and fries.

LOL. I took the dogs with me & had to run into the grocery store. Just for 1 thing, and NO...I don't leave my dogs in the car for any longer than 5 minutes at the very most. Usually 2-3 minutes, in the shade windows down.

Anyways, as I am walking back I see a lady loading her groceries into her car. Her back is turned and she doesn't see her toddler age 3 or 4, reaching up to my truck window and feeding my boxers his french fries. Slobber running down his arm and all over my half rolled down window. My dogs love fries. And this kid was having the time of his life feeding the beasts. Luckily my dogs look mean, but wouldn't hurt a 3 legged blind cat if it came up & peed on them. He would tip toe & reach up with a handful of fries, each mouthful of fries they would get the kids whole hand in their mouth and then he would slide it out slobbery....sans fries.

Sly dogs. I know exactly the look they must have given this kid for him to hand over the fries.

Huh? What were we talking about again?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LMAO! So you are saying the kid is smarter than Mobama?

That story is hilarious! Hey! Dogs won't pass up food! No way!

I know The Prez is trying to instill confidence in seafood from the Gulf Of Mexico. I just don't see the seafood being convinced.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Um, Obama said "seafood is safe." He didn't say where the seafood came from, you silly gooses. I think this was a message meant for panicky bitches that think all fish in the seafood section of the supermarket, or the local fishermans' warf, contains hydrocarbon infested fish. I think he's trying to say that seafood OVERALL is safe, and that there are many sources such as Alaska, so don't stop buying it...
    You read all of that BS in what Obama said ??

What other subliminal messages is he giving you ??

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, just like hybrid crops are safe.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post

Bush wasnt elected in 2000, he was appointed by the USSC

And he stole Ohio in 2004
    Quit whining you musically inept fatass bass player. Nobody stole Ohio, dumbass and 2000 was won within the confines of current law.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shaddap, Mr. Frontline Bitch!

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The "trickle down" affect is really the starting point. You don't have to worry about whats being sold NOW, try like in a few more months when the stuff REALLY spreads out. Shellfish are the things that seem to live for years with all amount of nasty shit in them, while fish are more fragle and will outright die (or starve) and their spawning areas will be fouled so no reproduction. I don't agree with everything in this article but it's a close description of things to come...

http://natural-health.guruz-blog.com...l-edible-fish/

We have two serious issues to look at when we decide whether we are comfortable eating seafood: firstly what types of toxins could find their way into fish and shellfish, and secondly what would be the effects of overfishing in the non-oil-affected parts of the world to make up for the shortfall in the supply of fish?

In terms of toxins, we have a number of different substances building up in fish that are living in oil affected waters. Firstly we have crude oil and secondly we have the dispersant being used, currently Corexit 9500. Crude oil contains both mercury and lead, which are obviously highly poisonous heavy metals. Crude oil also includes benzene, toluene and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), all of which cause cancer. While scientists claim that PAH does not accumulate in fish, they concede that it does accumulate in shellfish. The dispersant Corexit 9500 is a highly poisonous substance, roughly four times more poisonous than oil.

Heavy metals such as lead and mercury cycle through a fish’s respiratory system, eventually accumulating in its body. As some many larger fish are predatory, they receive both the environmental load of toxins, plus the accumulation of toxins from the smaller fish. This pattern continues up the food chain until the largest fish (those that are prized as being for human consumption) have significant accumulations of heavy metals. For this reason, a percentage increase in the heavy metal load due to the environment of the fish will have greater than the percentage increase in heavy metal accumulation in large predatory fish.

Mercury is associated with brain impairments, both degenerative in adults and the development of autism and chromosomal disorders (such as Down’s syndrome) in children. Mercury crosses the placenta in pregnant mothers and has its greatest effect on babies and children due to being significantly more concentrated.

Lead has been proven to be harmful even in the smallest doses tested on laboratory animals. No minimum quantity of lead has ever been accepted as safe. It affects the brain, the reproductive system, the nervous system and the kidneys, especially in children due to the higher level of concentration. Lead has been associated with low IQ, slow growth and hearing defects in children.

The chemical dispersant, Corexit 9500, used by BP to try to break up the oil from the surface of the water is known to be both more toxic and also less effective than other chemical disbursants, requiring a stronger application. I feel that we have a case of misaligned corporate ethics coming into this situation as Corexit 9500 was reputedly banned in Britain over a decade ago due to its highly toxic affects on both the environment and people. How ‘British’ Petroleum ended up with such a large supply then I do not know.

The use of Corexit 9500 in such quantities and at such oceanic depths is unknown in human history, and the exact contents of the mixture are a trade secret. Corexit 9500 increases in toxicity as it heats up, and oil in the water tends to increase the temperature of the water. It is expected that it will affect humans’ respiratory systems, nervous systems, livers, kidneys and also cause blood disorders. Just as with mercury and lead, Corexit 9500 will have a greater impact on children due to their smaller size. At the time that this article was written (early June 2010) over 600,000 gallons of Corexit 9500 have been applied to the ocean’s surface.

Clearly the fish and shellfish living in and around the Gulf of Mexico are going to be off the menu for some time. The government won’t willingly allow the people to eat contaminated fish, so all should be fine right?

Unfortunately however, the Gulf Coast is responsible for about 50% of the total US harvest in its peak season. Fishing in the Gulf of Mexico is estimated to be worth $2.4 billion per year. Not only is fishing an essential part of USA’s GDP, but people are still eating fish and so the demand causes pressure on other fishing localities to increase the supply.

Do not also forget that some fish are highly migratory, particularly deep ocean fish, sometimes travelling up to 200 miles for feeding and reproduction. It is not possible to identify whether any individual fish has ever come into contact with the oil or the disbursant that is choking the Gulf of Mexico area.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    LMAO! So you are saying the kid is smarter than Mobama?

No. The dogs are. They got the french fries!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Disgusting slobbering beasts...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

That's no-way to speak about Republicans.....

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes it is. Dems as well...

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 04:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yep! If the president says it, it must be true!

What a dumb thing to say, Sesh!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Need to train your dog better then...mine is completely trustworthy around my food.

Just sayin'.

26. Thanked bueno bob for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (06-16-2010)

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    Quit whining you musically inept fatass bass player. Nobody stole Ohio, dumbass and 2000 was won within the confines of current law.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post

Regardless, we "all" didn't "elect" Bush twice, you drunken troll.

But hey, we like it when you come around every few weeks so we can bitchslap the Molson out of your mouth.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I must admit, there has been no president (with the possible exception of Jimmeh-bwah Cawtuh) in my lifetime who was not a liar. Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush were all lying motherfuckers. Kennedy appeared to lie less, and appeared to have the greater good of the country in mind than any of the others I just listed.

I will say Obama is actually doing something. Whether or not his plans turn out to do US any good remains to be seen, but at least he is trying to solve some domestic issues, and not just sending soldiers off to be murdered based on LIES, while sitting on his fucking ass in the White House doing nothing for Americans on the home front (like Chimpy did for 8 goddamned years).

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sesh,

I enjoy your battle with equations, decimal points, powers, and many zeros, but you can't just average the spill against all the water, as the oil isn't evenly broken down and dispersed - it is still quite concentrated in an area the size of Delaware or maybe Maryland by now, not counting undersea plumes. Nevertheless, petroleum products are good for the skin and give hair shine, bounce, and volume, so we will have shiny happy people as a result.

I am also now an atheist as of June 1, due mainly to Sesh browbeating me on IM about God for the better part of five years... I give up... if there were a God, he would have put an end to Sesh by now, but lo and behold, he continues unabated, much like the gushing underwater oil well, he has fouled the ecosystem and marshes of my psyche and conscience... it could well take years, if ever, for me to believe in a higher power again... (P.S. The recent destruction of a "Touchdown Jesus" in Ohio struck by lightning and burned to a crisp is evidence of Sesh's powers).

In all seriousness though, I'm not one to be superstitious or a believer in conspiracies (ok, maybe occasionally), but I don't put a high degree of faith in the so-called scientists either. It will take more time and resources than have been currently deployed to develop a truer and statistically valid conclusion about what changes this disaster will have on the ecosystem as well as the food chain. As a precaution, not so much a superstition, I'm planning on avoiding food from the Gulf until further notice, even though the last time I had food from the Gulf was a visit to New Orleans in 2000.

That is all.

Icon©®™

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Disgusting slobbering beasts...

You just don't like them because they are brown.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by conmee View Post
    In all seriousness though, I'm not one to be superstitious or a believer in conspiracies (ok, maybe occasionally), but I don't put a high degree of faith in the so-called scientists either.
    Ridiculous.

Without scientists how would we do this?

35. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (06-17-2010)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

LMFAO!!! Are those MAGNETS on the soles the paws/feet?!?!? That is an awesome mad scientist photo!!! Holy shit that made me actually laugh today... lol

That is all.

Icon©®™

Thread Information