Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

VH Tour Rehearsal At The Roxy - December, 2011

From theroxyonsunset website:

VAN HALEN REHEARSALS

For the past 2 months VAN HALEN has been rehearsing here 2-3 times a week!!!!!!

Do you have any idea how hard that was to not tell you?? When you come in at 10:00AM and David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Wolfgang Van Halen are on stage with 3 other people in the room playing “Running With The Devil” and you can’t say anything?! It’s tough, to put it simply.

It all began with a 3 day video shoot for their newest single that you don’t know about yet (shhh) and we were all geeking out like never before. Little did we know, the guys had fallen in love with the room and decided to rehearse for their upcoming unannounced tour for the next 2 months!

We couldn’t film it for obvious reasons, so we’ve decided to share some of our favorite VH moments that happened for the next 2 months.

“My favorite Van Halen moment was when I came out of the kitchen and they were doing Panama. I was one of the only people standing in the room by the stage. David Lee Roth looked at me, smiled, and waved. I thought to myself “that is the only time in life I will know David Lee Roth was actually singing to me.” – @LizzyDStadler

“It was so nice being at my desk listening to “Jump” & “Panama”, the songs I grew up with by the actual Van Halen. I mean, really – it’s the actually f**king Van Halen!” – Tina

“Watching David Lee Roth film the opening part of this video was one of the most awesome things. He was standing there smiling with a gigantic grin on his face for at least 5 minutes and HeKo & I were standing off to the side trying not to laugh (or get in the shot), but it was incredible. The week they finally brough in the synthesizers and played the opening to “Jump” over & over made it really difficult to not jump out of my seat accordingly with the song. JUMP!” – @toneyeah

“What was my favorite part about it? Everything. I know it sounds stupid, but I can’t put it any other way. To walk through the club and have Eddie Van Halen smile at me or pat me on the back, the guys were so nice, it was unbelievable. In my 9 years at the club, this is by far one of the best things that’s happened.” – Scotty

“The positive energy VH brought to the daytime was fantastic. During the day, it’s always so quiet and work, work, work and even when a band does rehearse, it’s always so serious. Van Halen was having fun the entire time and we could feel it throughout the building.” @Heko310

“I just loved the first time they played “Running With The Devil” it sounded exactly like it did when I was working box office at The Whisky.” – Kathy

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 13 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Blaze (12-29-2011),bluepenguin (12-30-2011),Cato (12-29-2011),Coyote (12-29-2011),Halen High (12-29-2011),kwame k (12-29-2011),Little Texan (12-29-2011),sonrisa salvaje (12-29-2011),SunisinuS (12-29-2011),TAKIN WHISKEY (12-29-2011),Terry (12-29-2011),ThrillsNSpills (12-29-2011),VHscraps (12-29-2011)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Luckiest motherfuckers on the face of the Earth. I want to post something nice here Craig, but I'm way to damn jealous. ARGH! I repeat, ARGH!!!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Really is amazing how well these things have been kept under wraps.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dunno about you guys, but I can't seem to get past the notion that either the brothers shop at the same Wal Mart or got a discount on a bulk case of those identical shirts.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 12-29-2011 at 05:55 PM.

6. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Coyote (12-29-2011),Little Texan (12-29-2011)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Damn - imagine trying to keep that a secret from your nearest and dearest lest it slip out on the internet grapevine.

Almost 38 years since they pitched up at Gazzarri's, practically next door - a hop, skip'n'jump past The Rainbow ...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Positive energy!!! Van Halen always having fun!!! And to think that it came from someone who was around them a couple times a week for two months straight. All the doom and gloom just went out the window as far as I'm concerned. It sounds like they really are a band again and I can't wait to here this new album. This tour is going to kick some major ass.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Damn - imagine trying to keep that a secret from your nearest and dearest lest it slip out on the internet grapevine.
    It really isn't all that difficult...

10. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Douglas T. (12-29-2011)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

i wonder if they will move to rehearsing on the full stage in the near future. someone out there will have to stake out the Forum again.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Absolutely amazing.....for all the shit I've given the PR brain trust up on Howdy Doody Mountain.....they sure can keep a secret.

With stories like these, Dave's video diary and the tour announcement video.......the buzz on the net is reaching a fever pitch.

Guess the old maxim is true.....Always leave them wanting more.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Yea our own Government does a lot worse.....and since Assange was already busy.....

Nj People.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This is incredible. Had i been working there i never would have left. They could have just locked me in and i would have slept under the bar. How this didn't get out before now is unreal. I mean, it is a long way from 1984 considering the way media and communication has advanced.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sweet merciful FUCK!!!

When it rains, it pours!

The avalanche of information in the last 5 days is incredible compared to the drought of the last 4 years!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2015 @ 08:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Absolutely amazing.....for all the shit I've given the PR brain trust up on Howdy Doody Mountain.....they sure can keep a secret.

With stories like these, Dave's video diary and the tour announcement video.......the buzz on the net is reaching a fever pitch.

Guess the old maxim is true.....Always leave them wanting more.
    This whole thing has been well planned and it has Dave stamped all over it. It's been frustrating for all of us at times, but I think that's based on the history of all the let downs. Putting that aside, I've enjoyed the mystery, anticipation and build-up because I've been more certain than ever that it was really going to happen this time.

17. 2 users say thank you to Halen High for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (12-29-2011),DLR Bridge (12-29-2011)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Halen High View Post
    This whole thing has been well planned and it has Dave stamped all over it. It's been frustrating for all of us at times, but I think that's based on the history of all the let downs. Putting that aside, I've enjoyed the mystery, anticipation and build-up because I've been more certain than ever that it was really going to happen this time.
    I'm starting to think what a brilliant PR move.......say nothing till the tour's planned/booked and an album's in the can!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm starting to think what a brilliant PR move.......say nothing till the tour's planned/booked and an album's in the can!
    I think it is brilliant too. Let the doubters and Chickens shove a foot up their ass by expending everything which is nothing they can say and then when they are at the bottom of their barrel in ammo...unleash a massive assault on them, and it does not require much for all the Van Halen info to be huge because the lack of it over the last months makes even a pen drop worth more than what they could say in a novel.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If my memory serves correct, there were a lot of big tours in 2007 and Van Halen was still one of the biggest money makers. There is not a lot going on this coming year. You just know VH is going to make a mint out there with zero competition. They won't even have to check the rearview mirror.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2015 @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    If my memory serves correct, there were a lot of big tours in 2007 and Van Halen was still one of the biggest money makers. There is not a lot going on this coming year. You just know VH is going to make a mint out there with zero competition. They won't even have to check the rearview mirror.
    You know what they say, those Jews know how to make money!

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

There is not a lot going on this coming year. You just know VH is going to make a mint out there with zero competition. They won't even have to check the rearview mirror.
    Well, there are the septuagenarian Beach Boys with their 50th anniversary tour, but yeah, VH is going to do well this upcoming 2012 tour.
    Last edited by Little Texan; 12-29-2011 at 10:37 PM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Springsteen is going to tour, and there's always the possibility that the Stones will go out for their 50th anniversary. but beyond those, i haven't heard of a lot of big tours for '12.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Springsteen is going to tour, and there's always the possibility that the Stones will go out for their 50th anniversary. but beyond those, i haven't heard of a lot of big tours for '12.
    There is also Black Sabbath.

You can call 2012 the old timers year! Even Granny Madonna is coming out with a new album.

But the kind of attention VH gets is second to none.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It will be interesting to see how well the tour does considering the state of the US economy. The number of stories we see on our news about people in the US living in poverty, unemployed, losing their homes......it's shocking. Even for people in full-time employment, attending a rock show in 2012 could be a bridge too far. This could be the reason for a lack of high profile tours planned. Of course, the bands could always consider lowering their ticket prices......

That said, people could also be looking for a distraction from their troubles, find the money somehow and get out for some Van Halen style good-time rock n' roll. I think the first single will be just that - a radio-friendly tune with a 'Dance the Night Away' vibe, but a little crunchier perhaps. The video snippets point to that and I love the setting they (Dave) chose for it - The Roxy.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave talked about this approach in an old interview (can't remember which one now - it may have been with Frank Meyer). The way he described how he would handle marketing and publicity for VH is almost a perfect template for what we have seen over the last year or so. Sometimes I get this surreal feeling about all this - fuck I am so stoked!!!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-15-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree with Halen High theway the US economy is at the moment is very worying, if the US goes into another recession.Anyway Australia because of the dollar at the moment can certainly accomodate VH touring down under for as long as they want!.There is word on some Iron Maiden fan blogs, about unconfirmed reports of the band doing another retro tour this year, focusing on the early days part 3, which will be a retro 7th son tour.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    If people really want to see this VH tour they will get the money. Entertainment is one of the industries that can do well during down times but it has to be good and worth sacrificing for. People just aren't going to throw their money away on crap now. The problem with the economy is we are running up debt bailing out companies that should have just been left to the invisible hand to fail and then invested that money into something that would provide a return. In other words resources are being wasted on bailing out some con men while real production is starved. Then the Federal Reserve prints a bunch of funny money to rally the stock markets while the banks don't loan. This is why there is no hyperinflation even though the Fed is printing full steam ahead. Then you have the dumb assed government not putting together a long-term tax plan or economic plan. Businesses just don't hire when they don't know what their expenses are going to be because taxes and labor are the biggest expenses.

It really is a political problem more than an economic problem. The cronyism and collusion between business and government have actually killed the free market and the economy shows it.

Stay Frosty!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-29-2016 @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If they grossed $93 million during the 2007-08 tour, they'll easily surpass that amount in 2012 just on the coattails of a new album.

New music = higher visibility in the mainstream media.

BTB PRODUCTIONS!!!
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-27-2013 @ 12:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This is fucking awesome and I cant believe someone did not film anything.....undercover of course!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-25-2020 @ 11:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Just a thought here . . . I put in VH Greatest Hits Vol 1 last night on my way home from work . . . Usually I listen to all the good stuff, then skip Spammy Hagar . . . except for 1 song "Humans Being". Love the music on this one. Wouldn't it be cool if David Lee Roth put his touch on this with new lyrics and they made it part of the show? The guitar, drums, bass really rock on this one. Hell . . . AC/DC did it with "Whole Lotta Rosie". Plus it would piss on Hagar a little as well!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    Plus it would piss on Hagar a little as well!
    Unnecessary. By simply walking into a room and being photographed with Edward Van Halen, without words David Lee Roth says more about Van Halen and the truth about the group's place in history than any festering compost pile heaped with Hagar's comments (on any subject) ever could hope to.

BTB PRODUCTIONS!!!
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-27-2013 @ 12:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    Just a thought here . . . I put in VH Greatest Hits Vol 1 last night on my way home from work . . . Usually I listen to all the good stuff, then skip Spammy Hagar . . . except for 1 song "Humans Being". Love the music on this one. Wouldn't it be cool if David Lee Roth put his touch on this with new lyrics and they made it part of the show? The guitar, drums, bass really rock on this one. Hell . . . AC/DC did it with "Whole Lotta Rosie". Plus it would piss on Hagar a little as well!
    are you kidding me? Roth redoing a Van Hagar tune? seriously!!! bullshit....no way!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    “I just loved the first time they played “Running With The Devil” it sounded exactly like it did when I was working box office at The Whisky.” – Kathy[/I]
    I hate to rain on an otherwise great parade but I fear that means piped in backing vocals again.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I hate to rain on an otherwise great parade but I fear that means piped in backing vocals again.
    I would think it will be a given....the classic sound needs Anthony...and we will expect the classic VH.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

If I had any image or video clip posting savy, I'd post a picture of the 'Jump to Conclusions' bit from Office Space. Come on guys, vox are gonna be fine. Besides, all I give a flying F about is holding a new CD in my hands. Yep. Losing my fucking mind.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-31-2024 @ 03:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,469 Posts

I wonder if those lucky mofos got hear any of the new songs...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    I wonder if those lucky mofos got hear any of the new songs...
    Am guessing when they did the video for the single it will have been played over and over again to take the various shots .... Someone needs to speak to these fuckers they probably know the album backward without even realising it .... some bar man at the roxy is probably singing the single as we speak he just cant remember were he heard that killer riff lol

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess, just think that Eddie layed down a good piece that Spammy spoiled. Dave could make it a great piece with his lyrics and vocals, but again . . . I get your point.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    are you kidding me? Roth redoing a Van Hagar tune? seriously!!! bullshit....no way!
    I guess, just think that Eddie layed down a good piece that Spammy spoiled. Dave could make it a great piece with his lyrics and vocals, but again . . . I get your point.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Agree, I loved Humans Being until the Bridge Troll Drone opened his mouth.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Van Halen back to trending at #4 on Yahoo based upon this news.....and another article about it:

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Van-Ha..._story-8484889

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Amazing in this day and age of the interweb that this was able to be kept quiet. Couldn't have been too quiet on the sidewalk out front.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Amazing in this day and age of the interweb that this was able to be kept quiet. Couldn't have been too quiet on the sidewalk out front.
    Are you new to the Van Halen world?

Chripes...I'm sure spED and neckbrace held the firstborns at gunpoint, and NEVER LEFT THE ROXY FOR TWO MONTHS...

seriously...what kinda fucking drugs did they put Roth on to keep him quiet...

he had to be like a fart in a bottle...

Thread Information