Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MA Reveals When He First 'Came To The Conclusion' That DLR Was 'Bipolar'

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As talented as Eddie was, I don’t think he would have become famous without Dave. Dave understood promotion and showmanship better. I think it’s unrealistic to think egos that big could stay together once success came. Dave wanted to take full advantage of 1984’s success. Being impatient he did Crazy From the Heat and the success from that made him create his own band which was great but doing that destroyed Van Halen. Sammy Hagar woul be a side note of the 70’s and 80’s if Dave didn’t Persue his own interests. There would be no Cabo Wabo because that started with Van Halen. So Dave made Sam by default.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Most successful acts last five years. That’s about how long Van Halen lasted.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Most successful acts last five years. That’s about how long Van Halen lasted.
    It's one of things where at the time the split was announced in 1985 it seemed like CVH had more juice in the tank. While it might seem to be just a rationalization - because the band split - it may well be that the band didn't have any juice left in the tank. Eddie and Dave just couldn't paper over their differences on either a personality level or a musical level. Or didn't want to, which amounted to the same thing.

It is true that most successful rock acts don't last very long, and even the ones that do defy the 5-10 year rule tend to exist in band name only. For every band like Rush who managed to crank out good material beyond a decade with the same/definitive lineup there are far more brand bands who might still be out there touring but have few (if any) members of their definitive lineup and haven't come up with anything decent on a creative level in decades.

Van Halen as it was when they were at their peak managed to come up with 6 fantastic albums. There were tensions between Roth and the Van Halens even before Roth joined the band...may well be another rationalization, but it was perhaps more amazing that lineup stayed together as long as they did.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The guys in Rush were actually friends. It was more than a working relationship. You have that plus three guys who are passionate about what they do and they keep it going. That’s very rare.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rammstein has had the same 6 members for what, 20 something years at least? Extremely rare not to have replaced at least one member.

Van Halen had 6 great albums. I'd like to think had Dave stayed, they'd have had at least 10. Some will argue the 4 with Clichegar are also great, so they do have 10 great albums under the Van Halen name. As a whole, I don't think the Van Hagar albums have stood the test of time nearly as well as the Van Halen albums. My girlfriend is a Dave era fan. But she's more of a fan of the more popular tunes. When we are cruising in the dune buggy and I have the playlist on the 6 pack, she will hear a song she's never heard or rarely heard and every time will go "Wow, that's another great song." Really, the only song I skip in the whole playlist, is "Jump". I didn't like it the first time I ever heard it, and I still don't like it. I can close my eyes and go back to the first time it was played on the radio. I was so disappointed. My buddies razzed the shit out of me too. But then, the rest of the album came out. Wow. To come out with an album like that, and then break up the band after the tour. A fucking travesty. It's just a shame the way it all played out. I have to believe they all have their regrets. I believe even Ed had regrets. They did so much between 78 and 84, and so little between 2007 and 2015 new music wise. I don't think Ed ever believed the sands of time were running out. Then boom. They did. Quickly.

Man, I'm still devastated over the break up after 1984. I'm still devastated Ed is gone.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They desperately needed a break from all things VH by 1985. And especially a break from each other.

Many bands of the era had done this. To release creative tension you allow band members to go out and do solo projects but making sure the band was still unified. VH just didnt have that strong of a management team to foster something like that. Noel did what he could but he wasn't great at dealing with the strong personalities. Van Hagar would've imploded long before '96 but Leffler was good at keeping it together.

So lets say the CVH break happened the way it should've....let Dave do CFTH and his movie. Heck, let Eddie do more tv soundtracks and even do some songs with various singers for his solo album. Allow Alex to get sober.

Then by 1987 reconvene and pump out the follow up to 1984 by 1988.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    They desperately needed a break from all things VH by 1985. And especially a break from each other.

Many bands of the era had done this. To release creative tension you allow band members to go out and do solo projects but making sure the band was still unified. VH just didnt have that strong of a management team to foster something like that. Noel did what he could but he wasn't great at dealing with the strong personalities. Van Hagar would've imploded long before '96 but Leffler was good at keeping it together.

So lets say the CVH break happened the way it should've....let Dave do CFTH and his movie. Heck, let Eddie do more tv soundtracks and even do some songs with various singers for his solo album. Allow Alex to get sober.

Then by 1987 reconvene and pump out the follow up to 1984 by 1988.
    Good call. What VH got with Sammy was a great manager. Probably the main reason they had any success. Notice VH fell apart after that manager died.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It is true that most successful rock acts don't last very long, and even the ones that do defy the 5-10 year rule tend to exist in band name only. For every band like Rush who managed to crank out good material beyond a decade with the same/definitive lineup there are far more brand bands who might still be out there touring but have few (if any) members of their definitive lineup and haven't come up with anything decent on a creative level in decades.
    Even Rush started at early Van Halen creativity level and ended at well, end Van Halen creativity level. Rush released 10 studio albums in their first decade, 5 in the second, 2 in the 3rd and 2 in the last.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The guys in Rush were actually friends. It was more than a working relationship. You have that plus three guys who are passionate about what they do and they keep it going. That’s very rare.
    Plus a lot less cocaine than Van Halen. I don't think it's a helpful drug for band unity and long term friendships.

In the 90s bands moved on to heroin and then instead of cocaine egos causing bands to split up the problem became band members not being able to function or just plain dying.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-11-2023 at 09:54 AM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good call. What VH got with Sammy was a great manager. Probably the main reason they had any success. Notice VH fell apart after that manager died.
    Leffler was probably a decent enough manager for them. Since we already have the Rush comparisons in this thread though, their manager seemed to work for them too... which is ironic, since he destroyed any other band he touched. That would be our old friend Ray Danniels, of course.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Leffler was probably a decent enough manager for them. Since we already have the Rush comparisons in this thread though, their manager seemed to work for them too... which is ironic, since he destroyed any other band he touched. That would be our old friend Ray Danniels, of course.
    Its no secret, despite the public display of chumminess, the brother's relationship with Sam by 1991 wasn't as strong as it was in 1986.

But Leffler was definitely the glue that held it together. Leffler dies and Van Hagar barely survives with just one more album and tour without him.

If CVH had a manager like him they don't break up IMO.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Or if they had got that guy that rebuilt Aerosmith, Tim Collins.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Rammstein has had the same 6 members for what, 20 something years at least? Extremely rare not to have replaced at least one member.

Van Halen had 6 great albums. I'd like to think had Dave stayed, they'd have had at least 10. Some will argue the 4 with Clichegar are also great, so they do have 10 great albums under the Van Halen name. As a whole, I don't think the Van Hagar albums have stood the test of time nearly as well as the Van Halen albums. My girlfriend is a Dave era fan. But she's more of a fan of the more popular tunes. When we are cruising in the dune buggy and I have the playlist on the 6 pack, she will hear a song she's never heard or rarely heard and every time will go "Wow, that's another great song." Really, the only song I skip in the whole playlist, is "Jump". I didn't like it the first time I ever heard it, and I still don't like it. I can close my eyes and go back to the first time it was played on the radio. I was so disappointed. My buddies razzed the shit out of me too. But then, the rest of the album came out. Wow. To come out with an album like that, and then break up the band after the tour. A fucking travesty. It's just a shame the way it all played out. I have to believe they all have their regrets. I believe even Ed had regrets. They did so much between 78 and 84, and so little between 2007 and 2015 new music wise. I don't think Ed ever believed the sands of time were running out. Then boom. They did. Quickly.

Man, I'm still devastated over the break up after 1984. I'm still devastated Ed is gone.

The best I'll ever say about the Van Hagar albums is that they have their moments with Ed on guitar. I hate Sam's vocals but if some love his range IDGAF, that's their taste. I just fucking hate his pitch, that's not to say there isn't anything listenable. But the Van Hagar era's albums seem very un-"Balanced". It seems they shot for 4-5 money makers then mailed the rest in, OU812 is a prime example. There is little or no filler on the Sixpack and they are way more consistent.....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was supposed to be after the Fair Warning Tour, but fate intervened in a successful (Oh) Pretty Woman single pushing them into doing DD. I've always said they might have made it a lot longer with that hiatus but WB was run by greedy a-holes.....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Or if they had got that guy that rebuilt Aerosmith, Tim Collins.
    If I remember correctly from that Hagar book he wrote years ago - but never officially published - Collins was the guy Sam wanted to take over after Leffler died. Danniels got the gig because his sister was married to Alex at the time.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Its no secret, despite the public display of chumminess, the brother's relationship with Sam by 1991 wasn't as strong as it was in 1986.

But Leffler was definitely the glue that held it together. Leffler dies and Van Hagar barely survives with just one more album and tour without him.

If CVH had a manager like him they don't break up IMO.
    The honeymoon was well over by 88' and the Monsters of Cock tour...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If I remember correctly from that Hagar book he wrote years ago - but never officially published - Collins was the guy Sam wanted to take over after Leffler died. Danniels got the gig because his sister was married to Alex at the time.
    Hagar lies constantly though so who knows?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From what I remember, Collins was reluctant to take on Van Hagar because this was around the time that Eddie shaved his head and was in the middle of some sort of breakdown. Collins witnessed this and said "I already have to deal with Steven Tyler. I don't need this shit".

I used to have a copy of that Hagar book, but I think it vanished in a hard drive crash, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd look up the direct quotes.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From what I remember, Collins was reluctant to take on Van Hagar because this was around the time that Eddie shaved his head and was in the middle of some sort of breakdown. Collins witnessed this and said "I already have to deal with Steven Tyler. I don't need this shit".

I used to have a copy of that Hagar book, but I think it vanished in a hard drive crash, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd look up the direct quotes.
    So you gave your harddrive AIDS....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rush was a cake band to manage. All members were friendly and no drama. They just kept making great music and doing tours. I did a set up and tear down for Rush. They had a great crew.

Thread Information