• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Sears Closing Over 100 Stores

Laying off 5,457 people.

I thought Obama had the economy humping? Wiki Nicki says the stock market is proof.

Seriously, It's been all down hill since they eliminated their catalogs. They could have been Amazon if they had any forward thinking management on staff. They already had the warehousing, logistics, inventory control, and a variety of good quality products. They were just too stupid to see what the future would bring. Believe it or not, they stopped the catalog and closed huge, state of the art warehouses because of their amortization schedule.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Sears started going downhill the minute they merged with KMart. And then they fucked up their strongest brand name, Craftsman Tools, first by allowing them to be made in China crap, and then by licensing the brand out to other chain stores. The local Sears store here is the last remaining survivor of the original mall that opened in 1966. The rest of the mall died out in the 1990s and was replaced by a Target.

Can't recommend everything they sell, but the Kenmore Air Conditioner I bought there in 2003 is still going strong - not that I needed it much this last summer.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

The Sears in the local mall shut down last month. I haven't bought anything in a Sears in years. When I was a kid we used to shop there for just about everything because it was affordable and good quality stuff. But the last time I stepped on the local Sears, the prices were anything but "affordable". I mean I could walk down to Belk and get the exact same shoes for my kid cheaper than Sears. And just about every time we went thru the store it was a ghost town. Sucks to see it go though.

Now I just hope Amazon finally crushes Best Buy. I'm gonna piss on the building when it goes out of bidness.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I refuse to go into Best Buy anymore, simply because they have all these fucks from other companies stalking you and trying to sell you shit. They're worse than the vultures in the furniture stores.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

The first house my grandfather built was a Sears and Roebuck mail order house. You built the foundation and the wood and other parts were delivered. If you were a good builder and followed the instructions you got a pretty decent house. Since all the wood was cut and shaped in an industrial wood working factory everything fit tight. My dad always bought Sears stuff because if it broke they would replace it and you could always get parts.

Sears used to mean quality for the dollar but maybe they let the quality slip, the prices rise and they never marketed the brand very well in the later years. Plus there is too much retail for the demand right now and a shakeout is needed. It looks like Sears is going to go the way of Oldsmobile. A historic brand that once meant quality but became forgotten.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 10-23-2014, 03:00 PM.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            The Sears in the local mall shut down last month. I haven't bought anything in a Sears in years. When I was a kid we used to shop there for just about everything because it was affordable and good quality stuff. But the last time I stepped on the local Sears, the prices were anything but "affordable". I mean I could walk down to Belk and get the exact same shoes for my kid cheaper than Sears. And just about every time we went thru the store it was a ghost town. Sucks to see it go though.

Now I just hope Amazon finally crushes Best Buy. I'm gonna piss on the building when it goes out of bidness.
            I'm finding I have to mail order more and more things I used to get in brick and mortar stores. I needed some bits for my machine lathe and some machinist dye and this store I used to go in and buy them no longer carries them so I have to mail order everything now. Amazon is going to be the biggest retailer because that is where you go when you just don't want to waste time looking for something in stores or they don't have it. If it ships from Reno I get it usually in two days.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
              Laying off 5,457 people.

I thought Obama had the economy humping? Wiki Nicki says the stock market is proof.

Seriously, It's been all down hill since they eliminated their catalogs. They could have been Amazon if they had any forward thinking management on staff. They already had the warehousing, logistics, inventory control, and a variety of good quality products. They were just too stupid to see what the future would bring. Believe it or not, they stopped the catalog and closed huge, state of the art warehouses because of their amortization schedule.
              The stock market has done well simply because all the money the Federal Reserve Bank has been issuing is going into it. The stock market does not reflect the real economy most people work and do business in. It reflects a lot of funny money going to investment banks and buying up shares of stock. That money never sees the average American. In other words the money is not trickling down to the real markets that actually hire people. It's going to speculators. Speculators who don't shop at Sears. They shop at Cartier, Gucci, and Armani.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Laying off 5,457 people.

As soon as I lost interest in the women's underwear section of the Sears and JCPenny catalogs, I lost interest in those catalogs and brands. Blame Penthouse.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Jesus fuck, you're blaming Obama for Sears?

Have you been in an Kmart, lately?

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    As soon as I lost interest in the women's underwear section of the Sears and JCPenny catalogs, I lost interest in those catalogs and brands.
                    When you turned 14 and started wearing women's underwear, as opposed to just looking at it in a catalog?

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Jesus fuck, you're blaming Obama for Sears?

Have you been in an Kmart, lately?
                      Kmart is owned by Sears.

Wiki it, dumbass.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I hate that they closed the Sears Hardware stores. The local one was next to the Super K so it was expendable. The big advantage was not having to drive to the mall.

The last couple times I've been to Sears the clerks try to ring up purchases on iPhones or something and they never work. There's never anyone in there, maybe five cars outside the doors that lead to the tool department. Even Penney's sees more traffic.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, last time I was in Sears, I was taking advantage of the Die Hard battery warranty, and getting it charged (got zapped by the cold winter, and I knew the jumpstart wouldn't last). There were about three other people waiting around the automotive department. Figured I would go next door to Target and kill some time while waiting (rather than watching FAUX Noize in the waiting room). So I walked through the Sears.... Not a single fucking soul in the rest of the store. The auto department is probably the only thing keeping this store open, and I wouldn't be surprised to read it was among those on the death watch list.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• cadaverdog
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Aug 2007

I'll miss Sears for one reason. It was easy to get new electronics at Sears for half price. You get a friend to buy something you want and then return it. Then you buy it for half price as a returned item. The salespeople didn't give a shit. They even let me buy stuff I returned for half price as long as I paid cash.
                            Beware of Dog

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Kmart is owned by Sears.

Wiki it, dumbass.
                              NO FUCKING WAY! REALLY? Thanks bud!

Any other breaking news on the ticker tonight?

Comment

Working...