Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Also there seems to be deeper issues at play here.

There is the VH camp which is Dave and Alex. And then there is the Wolf Camp which is Fatty, his Uncle Manager and his Mom.

Its basically VH vs Bertinelli Inc.

Alex has controlling interest to all things "Van Halen" and has final say with releases etc - Dave would I think have say on material he was a part of. But clearly ends with Alex.

Wolf appears to have control over stuff sitting at 5150. How much say Alex has over that is not clear.

Bertinelli Inc is interested 100% in furthering Wolf's career so anything 'Van Halen' related they see as detriment to that goal.

Alex has to deal with Bertinelli Inc. who most likely come back and say what they dont want released vs what they see as ok (Van Hagar remasters).
    Now Bertinelli Inc don't have final say but they probably complain enough to Alex who then simply wants to keep peace within both camps.

This relationship most likely frustrates Dave and Al as well. So that's where ADKOT comes into play and the reason why they arent quick to renegotiate a new deal for the album to be re-released and back on streaming platforms.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

I love A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. I waited decades for that album. It was great to finally have songs like PUT OUT THE LIGHTS, BIG TROUBLE, LET'S GET ROCKIN', SHE'S THE WOMAN, DOWN IN FLAMES, BULLETHEAD, etc. in new studio versions. I loved CHINA TOWN, BLOOD & FIRE and other songs too. It's a pretty amazing album. There were a few songs that didn't jump out to me right away (AS IS, HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL, THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER) and even those I like a lot.

I still listen to that album pretty regularly.

I'm not crazy about the production...but the thing rocks. Tell you this: it is the best VH album since 1984 (not that that's saying a lot) and the world is a better place for its existence.

I wish we got a follow-up. Eddie wanted to do one...and from everything I've read, it was Dave dragging his feet about that.

Lots of fans bitch about TOKYO DOME...but I fucking like it. I have something like 15-20 Blu-Rays of fan-made multi-cam, 1080p reunion shows with Dave...and I've watched almost all of them, some of them more than once. TOKYO DOME is no better and no worse than those shows...actually...TOKYO DOME is not as good as some of the 2012 shows I have. But it's worth having. They could have picked a better show...but it's still worth having.

If TOKYO DOME were a multi-track mixed show that leaked...or if it were some radio-recorded concert...some live-stream...fans would be creaming themselves about it.

The first two people I heard who bitched about TOKYO DOME were: 1) Sammy Hagar; 2) Eddie Trunk. And I'm fucked if I ever put any stock in their opinions. TOKYO DOME is a professionally-recorded/professionally-mixed concert with Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen & Diamond David Lee Roth. I'll be fucked before I apologize to people for loving listening to it. The AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE on that sucker is pretty amazing...nice jam and improvisations on that track. CHINA TOWN is pretty outta-sight on that album too.

The band's drum tech stated pretty recently that one of the reunion band's Madison Square Garden shows was not only recorded on multi-track but also filmed with multiple cameras in HD for a possible DVD/Blu-Ray release. I'd LOVE it if that got released...

...even if Wolfgang is on it. I didn't hate Wolfgang then...but I'm really starting to hate him now.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

It’s so funny reading all of the Ultimate Rock type of garbage FB pages trying to report on this. The essence of Dave’s video bits can’t be reported on in a few printed quotes. And of course, the comments sections are even better, with whiners thinking Dave meant Mammoth WVH was dead on arrival because they didn’t read the stupid article.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rikk
          I didn't hate Wolfgang then...but I'm really starting to hate him now.
          A sentiment universally shared in this particular group, I’m sure.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by nick500
            But he shouldn't be willing to sacrifice ADKOT because Wolfhead is on it.
            He could have said "No way" to a new album when they tried to do it if he was so concerned about his old fat bass player as opposed to his new fat bass player.
            He's sacrificing Ed's last finished work along with it.
            Most people actually like the album just for that alone.
            And the much maligned Tokyo Dome has about 15,000,000 streams all told on Spotify.
            That's another 10,000 sales.
            Maybe Dave is jealous that some Wolf tracks will soon be surpassing his solo stuff in streams and even some VH stuff.
            Believe it or not.
            David Lee Roth will be remembered decades from now. Wolfie Van Halen and Sammy Hagar will not. Dave already has the legacy and if it ain’t Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth it’s not worth selling to the public as a Van Halen product. Dave is protecting the Van Halen legacy. It’s more than just Eddie Van Halen. It’s the integrity of the whole classic unit.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              But its not only Dave who thinks this way about ADKOT. Its Alex as well.

They both don't feel its worth it to get it back on streaming platforms - as is - at this time.

That doesn't negate any future agreement that would see it back though.
              I think Dave and Alex are in agreement. The only good thing ADKT did was get a cleaned up Eddie Van Halen back in the public eye. Ed went out with some dignity instead of dying as a freak. Ed had one good last run.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                It’s so funny reading all of the Ultimate Rock type of garbage FB pages trying to report on this. The essence of Dave’s video bits can’t be reported on in a few printed quotes. And of course, the comments sections are even better, with whiners thinking Dave meant Mammoth WVH was dead on arrival because they didn’t read the stupid article.
                Low IQ people don’t get Dave. It all goes over their heads. Dave is excentric but he’s niether stupid or crazy. In fact he’s a guy who lives life on his own terms. Something the snowflakes most our society is composed of are scared to death to do.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

So is anyone craving another album of Wolfie singing about standing up, not backing down and I miss daddy! to hard power chords and heavy handed drumming separated by light strumming? Rinse wash repeat.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

You left out blame casting. Another running theme.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I think Bertinelli Inc. Is pretty accurate. Patrick Bertinelli is Wolf’s manager. Also I lived in Park City, Utah where Vallerie’s brother was living in a home Val and Eddie owned there. Val’s brother was a ski instructor living in their house. Basically a ski bum. He told me he used to crash on Ed and Val’s couch instead of going home which was his parent’s house. I’m thinking what a bum. When Dave said both him and Ed couldn’t stand Val’s brothers or parents I just laughed.

After Ed’s death Val is sounding like she was his widow. He was mine! Val says. Fruitcake on display. Ed told Steve Rosen Val was very controlling. All I know is Ed went from a burned out wreck to being a human being again marrying another woman.

The Bertinelli’s to me seem very self-centered, very low IQ and thuggish. So camp Bertinelli would be deffinately something you would want to target with a flame thrower and Dave has done that.
                      Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-07-2024, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

If Dave and Ed hated Val’s family chances are good Al does too. Since Wolf inherits what Janie didn’t get he’s the guy to leach from. What would just everything at 5150 go for at auction? Plus your last name is a brand. Wolf is the favorite nephew.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Anyways how much longer the Hagar/Bertinelli fag dance will go on is hard to say. Even Mike was making soft jabs at Hagar in a recent interview. He seems a bit worn down by all of Sammy’s product promotion and luxury lifestyle.
                          Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-07-2024, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Dave wrote all the lyrics. He has publishing credits. Now how that is shared with the rest of the band I don’t know. But the music industry considers lyrics a key song component. Dave should have a lot of pull on anything he’s on. Wolfie was just the bass player.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Dave made the point you don’t stay at the top long. Most of the career is ascending or descending. He’s pointing at the flag he planted on Mount Everest and said Wolfie was never there and neither was Sammy Hagar.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

I was talking to someone who runs marathons all over the country and they ran a marathon in LA and one of the top finishers was Aric Van Halen. She says he was super nice so not all the Van Halen offspring are fat pricks.

Comment

Working...