WHAT DID YOU PUT ON?...first 10 songs after hearing EVH RIP...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    My favorite, surprised they never played it live.
    Actually they did play it on some of the early dates of the 2012 tour....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

LOL as I was typing that I started to doubt myself but just kept going...

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        Actually they did play it on some of the early dates of the 2012 tour....

Man, I wish they played it when I saw them. It's a great song.
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I honestly don't know why they dropped it from the set list. Certainly a better song than "Tattoo".
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Pooh
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Oct 2020

They should have kept playing it.

Comment

• Pooh
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Oct 2020

I really missed Mike's backing vocals

Comment

• slimdon
                Roadie
                • Feb 2004

What did I put on?

I had just finished putting together a radio special about 1978 when I got blind-sided by the news of Ed's passing. So I immediately went to work on putting together a two hour-special on Ed before my deadline. I didn't really even have time to comprehend what the f**k was going on because it was such a whirlwind of emotions. By the time I hit the 90 minute mark I didn't really feel like talking anymore. What a f**king bummer.

The first time I heard Van Halen was when my neighbor's oldest brother cranked 'Feel Your Love Tonight' repeatedly out his window when the album came out. I was only 5 years old, and to this day I can still see the blue sky framing their house whenever those first notes come on. Anyways, here's my tribute to Ed if you wanna listen to a couple hours of our favourite band:

Godspeed. Long live the king!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I initially put on a few songs...

Take Your Whiskey Home
                  Drop Dead Legs
                  Beautiful Girls
                  Little Guitars

Then life got in the way... I've hopped on the Sirius tribute channel a few times while driving and watched his solo from Live Without a Net on-line. That's about it... got my fix and continued on living life.
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    I honestly don't know why they dropped it from the set list. Certainly a better song than "Tattoo".
                    I've grown to like TATTOO a lot...but it took a while. I was certainly underwhelmed at that being the first single.

But the thing that pissed me off the most about it was people like that fucking fatass Eddie Trunk used it as the proof he'd been waiting decades for that VH was better with Sam. Man, that pissed me off. The guy who claimed the 1984 tour was boring and nothing but personal solos and Dave showing off (I've watched the Montreal '84 show a couple dozen times and I'm always overwhelmed by how great it is...and they play a TON of songs, with a few theatrical moments, 2-3 Dave speeches), the guy who loves to claim that Sam made VH a better band, the guy who claimed Dave never bothered singing and had a completely shot voice during the reunion tours (this is bullshit...Dave actually sang better during the 2007-8 tour than he did at US Festival or other pre-break-up gigs I've heard)...the fat-mouth who claimed that TATTOO was the worst VH song ever certainly wasn't shooting his mouth off to point out to the world how terrible UP FOR BREAKFAST or LEARNING TO SEE are. Or SOURCE OF INFECTION (possibly the laziest vocal in history).

Man, I got worked up there. I'm just sick of Eddie Trunk and his opinions. I love people having opinions. But he's developed a massive ego over the decades and has begun to act like because he does all this for a living, his opinions are actually fact. If I were a DJ with a big audience and a stupid minority opinion concerning Sammy Hagar's place in Van Halen, I think I would have tired of trying to convince the majority of my listeners that they're wrong about David Lee Roth. He at one point claimed TOKYO DOME is one of the worst live albums ever because they didn't fix it in the studio. One of the things I love about that album is how real it is...yes, Dave fucks up HEAR ABOUT IT LATER, and maybe they could have picked a better show. But I've listened to it a bunch of times and really like it. To actually bitch that they didn't turn a live album into a studio creation is a joke. The band has admitted that RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW is almost completely a studio creation, with almost all drums, guitar, bass & vocals re-done at 5150...it's obvious where I place Sam in the band's history but at least WITHOUT A NET is mostly truly live and sounds a lot better than RHRN.
                    Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Funkmonkey
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

"So autobiographic!" I dig on Tatoo.

Mousewife to bombshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo! Ha!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Rikk
                        Man, I got worked up there. I'm just sick of Eddie Trunk and his opinions. I love people having opinions. But he's developed a massive ego over the decades and has begun to act like because he does all this for a living, his opinions are actually fact. If I were a DJ with a big audience and a stupid minority opinion concerning Sammy Hagar's place in Van Halen, I think I would have tired of trying to convince the majority of my listeners that they're wrong about David Lee Roth. He at one point claimed TOKYO DOME is one of the worst live albums ever because they didn't fix it in the studio. One of the things I love about that album is how real it is...yes, Dave fucks up HEAR ABOUT IT LATER, and maybe they could have picked a better show. But I've listened to it a bunch of times and really like it. To actually bitch that they didn't turn a live album into a studio creation is a joke. The band has admitted that RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW is almost completely a studio creation, with almost all drums, guitar, bass & vocals re-done at 5150...it's obvious where I place Sam in the band's history but at least WITHOUT A NET is mostly truly live and sounds a lot better than RHRN.
                        I'm fortunate in that I only came across Trunk in the last decade because we never got the shows he was on here. Before I even knew about his love for Hagar I first saw him on That Metal Show and was shocked that he was on TV at all, just some bland windbag with a fat face for radio. I know it was only VH1 but I remember thinking 'this is the best guy they can find in the US to talk about rock music?' He's just been some guy doing the spot that management of the stations didn't care about and has just ballooned upwards by default. As you say his ego is ridiculous at this point thinking that his audience or what's left of it is more interested in him than his guests.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

I play Van Halen all the time. My vinyle issues, mostly. It isn't my wife's cup of tea at all, but she understands.

I play the Hollywood Bowl concert in my car. It's great, except for many of Dave's vocals, oh my...

His rant in the middle of DNA is stellar, though!
                          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Funkmonkey
                            "So autobiographic!" I dig on Tatoo.

Mousewife to bombshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo! Ha!
                            I love those lyrics.
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              I'm fortunate in that I only came across Trunk in the last decade because we never got the shows he was on here. Before I even knew about his love for Hagar I first saw him on That Metal Show and was shocked that he was on TV at all, just some bland windbag with a fat face for radio. I know it was only VH1 but I remember thinking 'this is the best guy they can find in the US to talk about rock music?' He's just been some guy doing the spot that management of the stations didn't care about and has just ballooned upwards by default. As you say his ego is ridiculous at this point thinking that his audience or what's left of it is more interested in him than his guests.
                              Absolutely. I understand now towing the line if you're not happy with what bands are doing...but he's bitched so much about VH since they reunited that Dave, Al, Ed & Wolf never came on one of his shows because they were sick of his shit. Ozzy wouldn't go on any of his shows (mind you, his wife is crazy). Only former members of KISS would go on his shows (though I really do agree with his attacking them by touring with idiots like Tommy Thayer wearing Ace's make-up and copying Ace's solos). Now, I heard him bitching recently that Judas Priest members won't speak to him or go on any of his shows. He's alienated so many of the prime hard-rock/metal acts that he's going to have trouble booking bands other than fucking Faster Pussycat!!

And does he really think his random ramblings about how great Sam is how much Dave sucks are going to make his listeners suddenly go, "Okay, Eddie. You're right! POUNDCAKE is so much better than LIGHT UP THE SKY!"??? Maybe someone with his miniscule brain really can't understand the difference in the lyrical quality between LITTLE GUITARS and TOP OF THE WORLD...but that doesn't mean he has to keep trying to convince the majority to be as dumb as he is.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Funkmonkey
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                                I love those lyrics.
                                It rewards the careful listener.

Comment

Working...