X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    There's a difference between leather and fur. As long as people eat beef, then you might as well use the skin too. The animals killed for fur are generally not edible, so it's a wasteful practice, and it's not as though anybody is wearing fur because it's the only way they can stay warm in the winter.

The Native Americans took the proper approach with the buffalo. Show a little respect for the animal, kill it when you need to, and use every part of it that you can (hides for clothing and teepees, bones for tools, etc.)
    You also need to kill the animal quickly. If you aren't sure you can't make the shot you don't take it. Also, they have some wonderful bullets that if placed right really do the job. We had a discussion about this very topic. More animals have been wounded with a 7mm Magnum and a high powered scope than a lower powered rifle with lower powered optics. People get too overconfident in the equipment.

Even with a gun it's still stalking an animal and positioning for a shot. The indians had it harder because their weapons had less range and power but it's the same general idea. Then you get through all that and get to where you are ready to take the shot and you get buck fever. It's the desperation to get the shot off that takes over and you mess up there.

Hunting is a real mental game and if you are a person with no patience it's not for you. It's being in the woods for days, usually in freezing awful weather, going up steep mountain sides with heavy equipment and it's all about being in the moment. If you think golfing is a good escape hunting beats that by several fold.

It's kind of like fishing. Most people that say they are hunting mostly hang in camp and drink booze and tell lies. You have the few die hards in camp that take it seriousely. The problem is you have a bunch of drunks back at camp that are suppossed to have the food cooked when you get back after dark and they usually are three sheets to the wind and nothing has been done and there is no booze left for you because they drank it all. What's funny is my dad told me most the lodges when he was a kid also had gambling dens and whore houses. Sure the husband told the wife he would be hunting over the weekend but he never specified what he would be hunting. With less people doing it now, the whore houses and gambling are gone.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Now this is hunting. Funny how the game changed from zebra to fowl.

Comment

• moose
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        You also need to kill the animal quickly. If you aren't sure you can't make the shot you don't take it. Also, they have some wonderful bullets that if placed right really do the job. We had a discussion about this very topic. More animals have been wounded with a 7mm Magnum and a high powered scope than a lower powered rifle with lower powered optics. People get too overconfident in the equipment.

Even with a gun it's still stalking an animal and positioning for a shot. The indians had it harder because their weapons had less range and power but it's the same general idea. Then you get through all that and get to where you are ready to take the shot and you get buck fever. It's the desperation to get the shot off that takes over and you mess up there.

Hunting is a real mental game and if you are a person with no patience it's not for you. It's being in the woods for days, usually in freezing awful weather, going up steep mountain sides with heavy equipment and it's all about being in the moment. If you think golfing is a good escape hunting beats that by several fold.

It's kind of like fishing. Most people that say they are hunting mostly hang in camp and drink booze and tell lies. You have the few die hards in camp that take it seriousely. The problem is you have a bunch of drunks back at camp that are suppossed to the food cooked when you get back after dark and they usually are three sheets to the wind and nothing has been done and there is no booze left for you because they drank it all. What's funny is my dad told me most the lodges when he was a kid also had gambling dens and whore houses. Sure the husband told the wife he would be hunting over the weekend but he never specified what he would be hunting. With less people doing it now, the whore houses and gambling are gone.
        That's y I shoot a Mark V Wetherby in 270 WBY mag
        Using 150 grn Nosler Pt's
        Every animal I have harvested with that firearm died quickly and all
        With ONE shot
        I truly respect the animals I hunt and do everything possible
        To insure a quick and human kill
        And that includes taking the time to
        Practice, learn all I can about ballistics etc etc

I am so comfortable with the above firearm that I would face a charging lion
        With it......

Comment

• moose
          Veteran
          • Mar 2004

Now this is hunting. Funny how the game changed from zebra to fowl.
          http://youtu.be/QiFUCv9yti4
          Now I get the "Nitro Express" handle

570 NE
          470 NE
          600 NE
          Shoulder busters for sure
          LOL

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

That was what I always figured ?..Nitro Express.

Express meaning heavy duty ballistic.
            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by moose
              Now I get the "Nitro Express" handle

570 NE
              470 NE
              600 NE
              Shoulder busters for sure
              LOL
              You figured it out. Most people don't.

You know your stuff. 338 Winchester Magnum with Nosler Partitions for me. That's my main rig. I load it up or down depending on what I'm going for. Even more cool I built the rifle myself using a Mauser 98 action, a Douglas barrel, and a Timney trigger. I do have a muzzle brake on it. I carved the stock out of a nice piece of maple but then dropped it into a walnut stock because the maple one was just too damn heavy.
              Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by moose
                PETA
                People eating tasty animals

I hunt every year
                I kill
                I am man
                I am in the top of the food chain
                I EAT MEAT motherfuckers
                Fuck all you vegan retards
                Man has hunted from the get go and that will never change

I eat meat. Love a good medium rare steak, bacon, sausage, etc... (now for the hypocrite rant)

But this Trump thing has ZERO to do with being hungry and hunting for food. ZERO!

Just because after he killed animals he decided to toss the carcass to hungry local villagers does not make it that he was hunting for food. That's a bunch of shit to make it seem okay. These Trumps hunted for 2 reasons. Trophies and little dicks. Period.

I think my views are morphing as I get older. I have just experienced seeing too many creatures die. And when you watch something die & you can obviously tell it does not want to die & is fighting to live....it changes your perspective. It has mine at least. I'm not perfect, but I'm striving to be better.

How very complicated it is for something to have life. How simple it is to take that away.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

As far as the meat for our food supply...I actually contacted PETA to see if there were any programs or such that were working on improving the methods that these animals were being raised and ultimately put to death. The conditions are pure torture and the failed ways they are put down at the end are atrocious. I think this is seriously wrong. With as advanced as we are today, there should be a more humane way to put a head of cattle down. There should be a more humane way of allowing them space to move during their short life. Of course PETA just responded chastising me for eating any meat. I think they should work in areas where they can make a difference. $0.02

Humane.....not really very humane since I'm ultimately eating the thing. trust me, I see my own hypocrisy here. But really....just because I am going to eat this cow, does it need to spend a short life of torture & be killed in the most awful and slow ways?
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

The devil has come to Tsavo. His name is Trump.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                      As far as the meat for our food supply...I actually contacted PETA to see if there were any programs or such that were working on improving the methods that these animals were being raised and ultimately put to death. The conditions are pure torture and the failed ways they are put down at the end are atrocious. I think this is seriously wrong. With as advanced as we are today, there should be a more humane way to put a head of cattle down. There should be a more humane way of allowing them space to move during their short life. Of course PETA just responded chastising me for eating any meat. I think they should work in areas where they can make a difference. $0.02

Humane.....not really very humane since I'm ultimately eating the thing. trust me, I see my own hypocrisy here. But really....just because I am going to eat this cow, does it need to spend a short life of torture & be killed in the most awful and slow ways?
                      Any doctor worth his or her degree will tell you that stress and anxiety have an impact on your body. It's the same for any living creature, including the ones we eat. If a cow or a pig or a chicken has to live its life in a stress filled environment, obviously that's going to be reflected in the part of that animal that you eat. And that's not even accounting for the hormones, GMO corn fed to cows that shouldn't even eat ANY corn at all, antibiotics, etc. I think I've mentioned this before, but I worked for a while in a feed mill that made various types of animal feed for a local dairy company. You had to wear a mask at this job, not just because it was a dusty environment, but what some of that dust was, because the fumes from some of this shit would literally make you gag. When I quit that job, I had to throw away an otherwise perfectly good pair of shoes, because the stench of that place just couldn't be cleaned out of them. (And believe me, when you wear Size 15 shoes, as hard to find as they are, you don't throw them away unless you absolutely HAVE to)
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The devil has come to Tsavo. His name is Trump.
                        Now that's just completely unfair......... to the Devil
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Any doctor worth his or her degree will tell you that stress and anxiety have an impact on your body. It's the same for any living creature, including the ones we eat. If a cow or a pig or a chicken has to live its life in a stress filled environment, obviously that's going to be reflected in the part of that animal that you eat. And that's not even accounting for the hormones, GMO corn fed to cows that shouldn't even eat ANY corn at all, antibiotics, etc. I think I've mentioned this before, but I worked for a while in a feed mill that made various types of animal feed for a local dairy company. You had to wear a mask at this job, not just because it was a dusty environment, but what some of that dust was, because the fumes from some of this shit would literally make you gag. When I quit that job, I had to throw away an otherwise perfectly good pair of shoes, because the stench of that place just couldn't be cleaned out of them. (And believe me, when you wear Size 15 shoes, as hard to find as they are, you don't throw them away unless you absolutely HAVE to)
                          That's why the Japanese spoil the cows that are turned into Kobe beef rotten. They even get massages. It's a good life before you are finally killed.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

It's just a matter of time before Monsanto starts killing people with their GMO food and then turns the corpses into Soylent Green. In fact, I think McDonalds is already making their food out of Soylent Green.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

[QUOTE=FORD;1633435]Now that's just completely unfair......... to the Devil [/QUOTE

It's only a matter of time before someone takes a shot at that animal perched on top of Donald's head.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                I don't think anyone who eats meat can object much to people shooting deer but rich kids paying money to shoot a leopard or an elephant is sick shit.

Saying it was for food is obviously complete fucking bullshit.
                                100%! I don't find anything wrong with legitimate hunting, but killing endangered species is fucking sick. These guys should suffer til the end of their lives for this...

Comment

Working...