Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Anyways if the guy doesn’t change his tune he’s going to die a lonely miserable fuck in his 50’s from a heart attack. It’s about when those fat fucks go who have been fat since they were in diapers. I give Wolf another 20 years or so.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

He seems to want VH fan to accept and love him, but he wants to shit on us at the same time. Ignoring "the vault". Ignoring the old live shows. Publicly stating he doesn't give a fuck what VH fan wants. Well fuck you. Any fleeting thought I had about attending his show here, that sold for shit, went out the window with his shitty attitude.
      He can feel that way but he was dumb enough to tell us. Ha! Ha! Yeah I could have easily saw his Salt Lake and Boise shows but why bother. I would rather see a farting contest after a chili cook off.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Dave is probably going you little shit you! Let’s see your fat ass jump off a 12 foot drum riser.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It was dumb as fuck for Roth to have a go at Ed for being culturally illiterate not because it wasn't true - of course he was he even said he hadn't listened to anyone else's music in how long? 20 years?

It was still dumb because Ed is dead, it's too soon and thems the rules.

As far as any memorial show show or whatever goes, if I'm Roth I probably wouldn't have done it either. Who knows but likely scenario is Mammoth support then Hagar and his pals from that mediocre Chickenfuck band playing Van Hagar, then a bit of Van Halen then everyone on stage for 'Can't wank at 75' or whatever? Who needs that?

The last Van Halen show at the Hollywood Bowl is on YouTube, it's better than the live album and pretty much the best thing they did since 1985 so that is a good enough legacy to bow out on.
          Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-20-2022, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I hate the idea of a memorial show. Who gives a fuck how culturally diverse Ed was. He spoke two languages and had a Indonesian mom and a Dutch father. That’s more diverse than most people. Did he read classic literature and attend the performing arts? I doubt it. We were interested in Eddie Van Halen for one simple reason. He could blow you away. It was the WOW! Factor. Simple as that.

If someone wants to put up a plaque or even a statue that’s cool. I think the Pasadena Civic Center put a plaque up.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Maybe Dave sabotaged the memorial concert on purpose because he didn’t want to do anything with Nacho Cheese Hagar and Sauce Sowoleski. Dave knows the memories and music are the real memorial. If he hosed the thing on purpose thank you Dave! Thank’s for saving us from a horrid wank fest.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well that's kind of what I was hinting at.

There is this fan thing you get where people scream they want stuff and then complain about how much they didn't think it was any good.

Maybe there are no good tapes in a vault and maybe a memorial show would have been pretty cringe.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

I felt if the remaining members of Van Halen were adamant about a tribute to Eddie involving a performance that the 1992 Queen Wembley template wasn't a bad one to use.

Personally, it really didn't matter to me if it happened or not, even though I'd have preferred it didn't. I'm not too old to still enjoy rock music, but am too old to give a fuck like it was 1985 (or 1996, or 2004 or even 2007) all over again. What the band did with Dave back in the 70's and 80's still resonates with me to the point where nothing that happened after 1985 dimmed it. Therefore, the band continuing on in whatever form for however long even after Eddie passed wasn't going to matter. Not to me, anyway.

Even so, I thought the Wembley-type thing would have been useful in not having a theoretical tribute devolve into a bunch of bickering between former band members as to who gets to play and who doesn't. Get 'em all up there. Dave, Wolfgang, Alex, Mike, Hagar...fuck, even bring Cherone back for a tune. At that point, why the fuck not? Everybody gets to play at the proposed one-off event. Otherwise, the show would have been overshadowed by the backstage drama, or excluded former members going online and making bitchy comments. Casting a pall over what would/should have been as positive an experience as possible.

I'd rather a one-off than trying to reconstitute the band for a Mach 5 thing, only without Eddie. It was bad enough post-1985 that the band was only 3/4's original for most of those years (1996 excepted), but at least Eddie was in all those lineups. With Eddie gone, a Mach 5 would be devolving into what too many other rock bands turned into. Just another old band with less and less original/definitive members in the lineup.

Overall, it's best that nothing live-wise has happened. It'd be better if that remains the case. I mean, shit, to have seen what is left of the band pull their shit together now and get Dave, Alex and Mike Anthony together onstage performing after Eddie died vs. the years from 1996 to 2015 when they could have gotten CVH back together for a tour? THAT would have been the final 'fuck you' to the Van Halen fans who wanted to see a CVH reunion happen from 1996 onward. Fuck Jason Newsted and fuck Joe Satriani. I don't want to see those two onstage with Al and Dave playing Van Halen songs, nor any other bass player who isn't Mike Anthony and any other guitar player who isn't Eddie Van Halen. Who really wants to see Van Halen continue touring now that Eddie is gone? Cunts who can't let go and accept that the band Van Halen is over: the moment Eddie passed, there was no more 'going forward'.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

There is this fan thing you get where people scream they want stuff and then complain about how much they didn't think it was any good.

Maybe there are no good tapes in a vault and maybe a memorial show would have been pretty cringe.
                    There was a youtube clip I saw posted somewhere recently - could have been here - with an interview of a guy who was involved with the band over around 2006 or so. From what I recall, he worked with the group at 5150, and he was describing some of what was in 'the vault'. I didn't get through the whole clip, but the upshot was that it wasn't quite the holy grail fans have long assumed it was.

Even with the CVH-era stuff, all those albums were analog recordings made on tape, right? Back in a time when outtakes or alternate takes were as likely as not discarded after the album was done? And even if they weren't, how likely was it that these materials were stored in a climate-controlled setting? More likely, the reels were left in a box in storage somewhere, if they even exist. Same for the footage the band shot on videotape for their own use, never mind the shows professionally shot on film, possibly rotting away in cans somewhere for 40 years and perhaps beyond salvaging today. Although I do imagine Dave, Mike Anthony and the Van Halens saved some of that stuff. But what difference does the existence of any of it make if we never get to see and hear it?
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
                      I felt if the remaining members of Van Halen were adamant about a tribute to Eddie involving a performance that the 1992 Queen Wembley template wasn't a bad one to use.
                      A few things about copying that.

Van Halen haven't played a headline gig in the UK since 1980.

Secondly Gary Cherone and Extreme played a blinder at the Freddy show, they are still together so maybe Extreme could have performed the whole of Van Halen III?

Finally if you remember the Freddy Mercury tribute was to raise money for AIDS research and spread awareness about the disease. Would this gig have been to raise money for research and to raise awareness about the dangers of metal guitar picks giving you cancer?

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

It was dumb as fuck for Roth to have a go at Ed for being culturally illiterate not because it wasn't true - of course he was he even said he hadn't listened to anyone else's music in how long? 20 years?

It was still dumb because Ed is dead, it's too soon and thems the rules.

As far as any memorial show show or whatever goes, if I'm Roth I probably wouldn't have done it either. Who knows but likely scenario is Mammoth support then Hagar and his pals from that mediocre Chickenfuck band playing Van Hagar, then a bit of Van Halen then everyone on stage for 'Can't wank at 75' or whatever? Who needs that?

The last Van Halen show at the Hollywood Bowl is on YouTube, it's better than the live album and pretty much the best thing they did since 1985 so that is a good enough legacy to bow out on.
                        I think Dave is tired of all this VH drama.

And doesn't like his name getting ran through mud in some Rolling Stone article.

I'd prefer if he didn't say anything but he felt compelled enough to respond. For us fans, we know Dave always liked AC/DC. But this article suggested otherwise.

Dave's comment about Ed being culturally illiterate is what we heard him say many years before. Dave is just referencing what he said. But yeah maybe not a good thing to say right now but in light of the article that slams him for whatever reason, Dave felt the need tor respond.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I heard that Pete Angelus has full audio, maybe soundboard quality of Oakland 1981. Sure, we all know there isn't video footage beyond the three songs but that doesn't mean there isn't full audio.

Also, Angelus apparently has many 1984 shows as well that were recorded (audio).

So clearly there is material that can be put into nice collector box set packages for these live shows. But alas Alex does nothing. And we fans are left with nothing.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                            I heard that Pete Angelus has full audio, maybe soundboard quality of Oakland 1981. Sure, we all know there isn't video footage beyond the three songs but that doesn't mean there isn't full audio.

Also, Angelus apparently has many 1984 shows as well that were recorded (audio).

So clearly there is material that can be put into nice collector box set packages for these live shows. But alas Alex does nothing. And we fans are left with nothing.
                            If Al was like Sammy Hagar he would be selling it all to us and we would be totally exhausted from the non-stop sales pitches. Carnival barker Sam told Gene Simmons to hold his beer while he demonstrates what a real pimp looks like.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Ed himself described what’s in that wall of tapes at 5150. It’s just him jamming and he rolled tape in case anything magical happened and he could have a recording of it so he would know how to do it again. On the road if he had a good idea he would use a tape recorder. It’s not tapes of finished songs or the band. It’s Ed’s noodle tapes so someone would have to listen to it all and try and extract something the public would like to hear. The public like finished songs, what’s on those tapes would only interest guitar geeks.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

A memorial show would suck. It would devolve into a tequila and hot sauce infomercial.

Comment

Working...