Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete video of 1983 Montevideo, Uruguay concert FOUND!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Pah....I want pro-shot stuff from 1978-1981. THAT would be the shit!
    Some stuff from the 1980 Invasion tour would be pretty sweet. Haven't seen much of that tour at all...just a few snippets of audience-shot stuff.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Hmmm.. Clip looks real. This guy posts this then dissapears ?? Nice tease for a bunch of people that would love to have this stuff ! Hope he comes back and offers to trade or whatever.

Comment

Was revisiting this thread this morning and read the original post... I can only assume in the excitement of the possibility of something rare, unseen surfacing... most of you, especially Mr Walker, glossed over a blaring historical fact that makes this whole prospect highly suspicious and very unlikely.

Let's review a few facts...

In the 80's, his ex-wife worked at a company which did business with the band's management, and she was able to access the band's library of recordings. The recording is similar to that of the other concerts in circulation from that tour, including the A/V quality, although the band has a bit more energy on this one, and the crowd was really into it the whole night.

His ex was able to copy quite a bit of material back then, including several complete proshots from different tours with Dave which are not in circulation yet. I saw the list of recordings he has, and the best way to describe it is that it's a goldmine. Aside from the Uruguay show, the only other footage he showed me was of a proshot of one of the 1984 shows; the camerawork and video quality is amazing. I had to ask him about the Grail, and his ex wasn't able to find anything, just the three videos of the Oakland show already in circulation.
        Factual evidence exists that all archival audio and video material from Van Halen was stored at Pacific Title Archives. The inventory sheets have been posted here many times and show all the various pro-shot video and recorded audio tape stuff for several known recorded performances. It was all stored in climate controlled vaults as you see below. Note a very important key fact... this was ALL on TAPE and FILM STOCK stored in a secure storage facility.

Early 1980's technology... remember before the current digital age. The wonderful world of analog video film and magnetic tape for recording live performances. Video was shot on film... audio was recorded to tape both on separate machines and spliced together and synced before transferred to another tape media format that combined them both. No digital storage devices... no CD's, no flash memory, etc... Hell the Sony Beta Cam was introduced in 1982... but commercial pro-shot was still huge cameras and separate sound recording units. VHS camcorders didn't emerge until 1985.

Why all the history lessons... well it's simple. You would need a truck load of huge video/audio transfer machines to "copy" pro-shot film and transfer 2" analog audio tape... then more machines to sync and audio and video into a single source. Remember Van Halen's media was all in secured archival storage. Which did not house the machines to duplicate this stuff on site. The possibility of someone's ex wife having access is one thing... the plausibility of her having access to the complex analog duplication technology of the times and the ability to even operate it just doesn't add up... at all. In 1985, nor even in 1990 it's not like you could walk up and connect a cable and dump something to CD... nor flash drive, nor even plug your new camcorder into a film/tape duplicator and burn a quick copy for yourself.

Sorry to piss on anyone's hopeful leg and tell em it's raining... but consider the story and then apply the real technology. None of the pro-shot CVH stuff could have easily been copied without a ton or two of huge complex analog machines. Plus given the one and done posting... this person just pulled a classic "Sea Gull" antic long known on these boards... Fly in, make a whole lot of noise, crap all over the place and fly off...

Happy Easter...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Originally posted by ZahZoo View Post
          Was revisiting this thread this morning and read the original post... I can only assume in the excitement of the possibility of something rare, unseen surfacing... most of you, especially Mr Walker, glossed over a blaring historical fact that makes this whole prospect highly suspicious and very unlikely.

Let's review a few facts...

Factual evidence exists that all archival audio and video material from Van Halen was stored at Pacific Title Archives. The inventory sheets have been posted here many times and show all the various pro-shot video and recorded audio tape stuff for several known recorded performances. It was all stored in climate controlled vaults as you see below. Note a very important key fact... this was ALL on TAPE and FILM STOCK stored in a secure storage facility.

Early 1980's technology... remember before the current digital age. The wonderful world of analog video film and magnetic tape for recording live performances. Video was shot on film... audio was recorded to tape both on separate machines and spliced together and synced before transferred to another tape media format that combined them both. No digital storage devices... no CD's, no flash memory, etc... Hell the Sony Beta Cam was introduced in 1982... but commercial pro-shot was still huge cameras and separate sound recording units. VHS camcorders didn't emerge until 1985.

Why all the history lessons... well it's simple. You would need a truck load of huge video/audio transfer machines to "copy" pro-shot film and transfer 2" analog audio tape... then more machines to sync and audio and video into a single source. Remember Van Halen's media was all in secured archival storage. Which did not house the machines to duplicate this stuff on site. The possibility of someone's ex wife having access is one thing... the plausibility of her having access to the complex analog duplication technology of the times and the ability to even operate it just doesn't add up... at all. In 1985, nor even in 1990 it's not like you could walk up and connect a cable and dump something to CD... nor flash drive, nor even plug your new camcorder into a film/tape duplicator and burn a quick copy for yourself.

Sorry to piss on anyone's hopeful leg and tell em it's raining... but consider the story and then apply the real technology. None of the pro-shot CVH stuff could have easily been copied without a ton or two of huge complex analog machines. Plus given the one and done posting... this person just pulled a classic "Sea Gull" antic long known on these boards... Fly in, make a whole lot of noise, crap all over the place and fly off...

Happy Easter...
          Well there is a clip !! That looks real. Maybe she just ended up will a few VHS tapes someone handed her. Those shows were all filmed for tv over there. I would question the 1984 show though. No clip and he didn't say were it was from. Monsters of Rock maybe ? Hope it's all true. Time will tell.

Comment

I dunno, maybe I am crazy but look at everything before the solo on the clip. It looks right, but could be carefully put together to approximate what should be there. The solo does look to be YRGM and syncs perfectly with what I am seeing.
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Romeo Delight View Post
              I dunno, maybe I am crazy but look at everything before the solo on the clip. It looks right, but could be carefully put together to approximate what should be there. The solo does look to be YRGM and syncs perfectly with what I am seeing.
              It does look very convincing.. I just don't get why Ed would do the encore song on the double neck, but hey.. whatever - if it's real I'm on board.
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                I think it's legit...

But the audio sounds fine...

I hate when non-professionals try to "clean up" the A/V...

Even so called "professionals" can fuck it up...
                I agree.

I'd love to see if the band is going to do something in the future entailing a DVD...

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                  Wouldn't be a shock to see a full-length 1984 pro-shot concert start surfacing and making the bootleg rounds, even after all this time.

Van Halen, and Roth, knew the value the band in terms of visuals live. Shit, I'll bet between Roth, Anthony and the Van Halens there are PLENTY of shows stashed away in their own private collections, maybe even to the point where these guys can't remember which specific shows they're sitting on.

For years there weren't any FW tour dates available on film outside of the Oakland clips and some rough Super 8 stuff from Chicago, then one day a 1981 Memphis show shot on video from the soundboard starts getting traded.

I'll tell you one thing. If that dude is the real deal, that is one fucking HELL of a first post!
                  There's a rumor that the Buffalo, NY show in March of 1984 was recorded at the old Memorial Aud using the cameras for the Buffalo Sabres telecast, tried to track this down a bit but got nowhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Walker View Post
                    Why can't you take the guy at his word?
                    If he shares it, great... it will get around and everyone will see it.
                    If he doesn't... then he doesn't "and as sure as the sun will rise in the morning, they'll be drugs for sale..."
                    There's really no downside if this stuff ends up being legit or not.

Like most potential releases Van Halen related, I remain in a state of cautious optimism until said hypothetical release is actually put out there...remains true for bootlegs, too. Did a trade once with someone who, in passing, claimed to have the 1984 VH Donnington show in video in its entirety and was willing to trade for it. After we completed an unrelated trade, I started asking when we could trade up for Donnington. This began a series of bullshit excuses on their end as to why they couldn't produce the goods they claimed they had.

Some traders are legit. Others just like to fuck with people. Others still aren't really sure WHAT they have in terms of a specific show: once did a trade with someone for a 1983 VH Argentina show and they sent me 1983 Brazil. When I informed them about the mistake, they were adamant that the show they sent me was Argentina.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Isn't there a clip during the Panama video
                      That is proshot?
                      If I'm not mistaken Dave is running across the stage being filmed from a position in the upper
                      level, there are a lot of live clips in that Video
                      Could very well be from
                      A proshot 84 show

:-)
                      Last edited by moose; 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                        There's a rumor that the Buffalo, NY show in March of 1984 was recorded at the old Memorial Aud using the cameras for the Buffalo Sabres telecast, tried to track this down a bit but got nowhere...
                        The 1984 show I went to in Providence, Rhode Island has long been claimed as one of the shows where footage was used for the Panama vid live clips. Roth even claimed onstage that the show was being filmed, and I could see camera operators in the camera positions high up near the roof pointing cameras at the stage...the same cameras used to film basketball and hockey games.

Nothing has ever surfaced, and later down the line I read that it was just a ruse to get people pumped up at the shows, and that there wasn't any film in the cameras.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

it's legit !

Comment

Originally posted by ZahZoo View Post
                            I was waiting for you to whip this out ZZ......
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Not so fast guys.

Do you think that VH's management would want to haul out a film truck and mobile studio every time they wanted to watch one of the shows they filmed?

If I were the band or management, I would want some VHS copies made to keep at home or office. This could very well be what the poster was talking about.

This would make what his friend has "second-generation" material (copy of a copy of the master), and if you include the encoding to digital, that would make it 3-times removed from the master. Still very clean.

So I would say his story is plausible.

As with everyone else....if he were to actually provide a full show on DVD to someone here, THEN I would believe it 100%, but right now, we cannot just go whole hog and believe him 100% even with the short clip. If Uruguay was like a lot of other South American countries back then, it is possible the show was telecast live on TV, and this could be a VHS recording from the TV broadcast.

We still have to wait and see.

The next move belongs to scottxconn.....all we can do is wait and see if it pans out.....

Comment

Originally posted by 78/84 guy View Post
                                Well there is a clip !! That looks real. Maybe she just ended up will a few VHS tapes someone handed her. Those shows were all filmed for tv over there. I would question the 1984 show though. No clip and he didn't say were it was from. Monsters of Rock maybe ? Hope it's all true. Time will tell.
                                Thats what this guy said !

Comment

Working...
                                X