Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

hey kwame, this story of heartbreak and joblessness has made me seen the light. We need more government programs like this, just as well run, to make sure our system isn't abused!

What a heartwarming story!

Lottery winner on food stamps: ‘I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not working’
    The Daily Caller – 8 hrs ago

While most people have played the “if I had a million dollars I would ____ ” thought game, few fill that blank in with “stay on public assistance.”

Amanda Clayton, a 24-year-old from Lincoln Park, Michigan, is one of the few who does, and she is getting away with it. Clayton won $1 million from the Michigan State Lottery this fall, but she is still collecting and using $200 a month in food assistance from the taxpayers with her Michigan Bridge Card.

“I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn’t, I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not working,” the lottery winner who just purchased a new house and car told Local 4 in Detroit. The station even filmed her shamelessly purchasing goods.

When Local 4 asked if she felt she had a right to the money, Clayton responded, “I mean I kinda do.”

Clayton justified the sentiment by explaining that after taking her winnings in a lump sum and having to pay taxes, the total amount was just over half of the initial winnings.

“I feel that it’s okay because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay,” she said. “I have two houses.”

A bill to prevent this type of behavior, sponsored by state Republican Rep. Dale Zorn has passed the state House, as has a companion bill in the state Senate.

“Public assistance should be given to those who are in need of public assistance, not those who have found riches,” said Zorn, who has sponsored a bill requiring the state to cross-check the names of lottery winners of prizes over $1,000 with names of individuals on the dole.

Until Clayton is cut off, however, she says she intends to continue to use her benefits.
    While most people have played the “if I had a million dollars I would ____ ” thought game, few fill that blank in with “stay on public assistance.”
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Angel
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Wow, are you guys ever behind the times! We've checked lotto winnings against welfare rolls since the 80's in many provinces up here...
      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Dr. Love
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

here's a flow chart to help you guys decide who to vpte for

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dr. Love
          hey kwame, this story of heartbreak and joblessness has made me seen the light. We need more government programs like this, just as well run, to make sure our system isn't abused!

What a heartwarming story!

http://news.yahoo.com/lottery-winner...161650898.html
          A bill to prevent this type of behavior, sponsored by state Republican Rep. Dale Zorn has passed the state House, as has a companion bill in the state Senate.
          Yep, throw out the whole system because of her!

While people are living in tents here and the unemployment rate is 9.3% [underemployment and people who have just given up is through the roof] we should just say fuck the starving people, right? Why don't you come up here and share some of your smugness with people who are really struggling. I'm sure they'd appreciate it!

Don't try and close up loopholes or amend the current program!

I know! Let's deregulate it!
          Last edited by kwame k; 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM.
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Dr. Love
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
            Yep, throw out the whole system because of her!

While people are living in tents here and the unemployment rate is 9.3% [underemployment and people who have just given up is through the roof] we should just say fuck the starving people, right? Why don't you come up here and share some of your smugness with people who are really struggling. I'm sure they'd appreciate it!

Don't try and close up loopholes or amend the current program!

I know! Let's deregulate it!
            Would you support federal legislation that requires each working person in this country to donate a specific amount of money to a charity to help these people?

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dr. Love
              Would you support federal legislation that requires each working person in this country to donate a specific amount of money to a charity to help these people?
              Sure, I believe they call it taxes but........I see where you're trying to go with this.

If we were living in an era where churches and people helped their neighbors, like in the past, it would work. Back in the early 1900's when Grandpa was a kid, it worked perfectly

We don't!
              Originally posted by vandeleur
              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Yes we do...

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Kwame, here's the great thing about freedom. If you believe in a cause, you can donate to it, support it and invest your time and money to ensure that it succeeds. If you don't believe in a cause, then you don't have to. No one can force you.

Except the government. Then, if enough people believe you should be forced to do something, they can pass laws to force you to do it. That is where you lose freedom.

There are a lot of people that donate to charities to help people that are in unfortunate circumstances. I'm one of them. Those organizations help people in my area. I'm proud of what they do and I'm proud of my contribution. My company and my coworkers donate time every quarter to go help underprivileged families and children have food to eat, or playgrounds built, or trees planted, or houses built. If I didn't have so much taken away from me in taxes, I'd donate more time and money, because I would be able to afford to.

I do not see a lack of effort or desire in my community to help people who have fallen on hard times.

Maybe you just live in a shitty place where no one cares about each other. I don't know.

What you're saying is that people don't believe in helping each other, so they should be forced to do it.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

That was awesome Doc...

Comment

• Dr. Love
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

kickme isn't dumb, but he believes in the current system, and there's lots and lots like him...

Comment

• Dr. Love
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

I agree, kwame isn't a dummy. That's why I enjoy debating him.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            kickme isn't dumb, but he believes in the current system, and there's lots and lots like him...

No, he doesn't...

Have you not read his [and mine] RANTS about the need for CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM AND OVERTURNING CITIZENS UNITED????

Don't be dumb.
                            Originally posted by Kristy
                            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                            Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Dr. Love
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

I agree, Lounge. But that's not a solution, that's only a beginning.

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

Of course I read it...

Comment

Working...