X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Matt White
    Yessir....GRATE pipes but that boy ain't right! LMAO Cherone was pretty good in Extreme...awful with VH. Just "another" singer in Dave's band...who couldn't hold a candle to DLR when it comes to lyrics.
    I can't comment on VHIII because I haven't really listened to it yet but as a fan of Nuno Tenniscourt I know a lot more about Extreme. (I know it's incongruous but I shouldn't have to explain that here of all places).

Some of Cherone's lyrics are toe curling Hagar level.

In the words of Spinal Tap (which I'm disappointed went over Ed's head according to an earlier post) there is a fine line between stupid and clever.

Because Hot For Teacher worked doesn't mean this is good in any possible way.

It's getting late
    So, Mutha don't you hesitate
    To pack my lunch
    And I'll be on my way to school

Mutha, Don't wanna go to school today
    I think I'd rather go outside and play
    Or when he's lifting from Alice Cooper compare Elected with

First things first, we're gonna change the rules
    Better listen up, all you boys and girls
    Your prez says there'll be no after school
    So vote for me, now wouldn't that be cool?

(Yeah), yeah
    (Yeah), yeah

Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-09-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
      Don't go Sesh! Even though your vodka soaked insides would probably kill the Covid, I don't want you to take that chance!
      Shots every 15 minutes...

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        This is not like Prince.

Prince had tons of stuff recorded but was also releasing a huge amount right up to his death.

As I have said before, the idea that Eddie had 10 albums of great material but chose to release Up for breakfast or instead use old demos for ADKOT is ridiculous.

Also in what crazy dark as fuck scenario do you have his family saying 'finally he is dead now we can release that stuff he didn't want released to increase our fortunes by 1%'?

It's all nonsense that we will be reading about for years now.
        That always kinda struck me as odd, too...the idea that Ed had all this recorded, unreleased stuff in the can, yet half of ADKOT ended up being re-recorded versions of 30 year old demos. Unless Roth just couldn't get a handle on the stuff Ed had in the can in terms of adding lyrics to it, and in terms of expediency redoing the Zero/Simmons demo stuff was the easiest route.

I'd be willing to wager there's plenty of home demo stuff Ed recorded...'noodling' as he once termed it...but how much of that is stuff one actually wants to hear...or how much of that stuff has any memorable riffs in terms of a ratio of memorable riffs to just Ed sort of 'noodling' around...like, how much of it was actually tracked out - complete with drums and bass - and just needed lyrics and vocals...

I'd tend to doubt the Van Halens would just throw that stuff out there for a cynical cash grab. At least, one would hope not. It'd be a shame to see that stuff given the treatment that, say, Jimi Hendrix's unreleased material got after he died, where some of it was good/interesting but more than a bit of it was clearly material Hendrix wouldn't have released in the state it ended up being released in, in terms of very rough demos/home recordings being put out there for purchase.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Igosplut
          He fixed it for you...
          Actually Von did.

Hopefully he can reset that date soon as well so we don't have to listen to all that whining...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

RIP Eddie. A truly bad ass original. Your talents will shine on. Getting old sucks.

Comment

• BottaGetta
              Full On Cocktard
              • Jun 2004

RIP EVH. You are an original, the gold standard and there will never be another.

I am still WRECKED.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
                Unless Roth just couldn't get a handle on the stuff Ed had in the can in terms of adding lyrics to it,
                By lyrics you mean a vocal melody and lyrics.

It would have to have been pretty out there - look what he did with "Ripley" making that into "Blood and Fire". Roth is a genius at converting music into a song, its maybe his key superpower!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

I’ve been listening to ADKOT this evening while doing my woman’s work cleaning the house (this is what was called a joke before everybody turned into PC sissies in 2020). Eight years later, I think it holds up really well. As Is sounds like it could have come off the DLR Band album. I dig it.

And whilst doing my chores - my daughter moved out two months ago so I don’t have anybody to help carry the load lol - I was thinking about the complex relationships those guys have all had with each other over the years. And even though Mikey hasn’t said he was in contact with Ed - yes, I know what Sammy said - after watching the video those two put out and reading Nuno’s interview...it makes me glad to know those guys reconnected. My best friend is my dog. My brother is a kid I met in seventh grade. And the first time I saw him walk into class I was sure I didn’t like him lol. 37 years later, we ain’t friends - we’re brothers. Luckily, we’ve never once had a serious argument. Oh, there have been threats of punching each other in the head and the like. But we have always respected each other and have never once been mad at the other for more than a few minutes. 37 years.

So I don’t care if everybody on social media, aka Facebox, wants to rip Sammy for saying how happy he was to rekindle his friendship with Edward. Blowhard that he is, Sam makes a good point. And I just wanted to say - love your friends. Check on those bastards lol! Talk shit to them! Argue and make fun of each other! Some of them may be people here you used to raise hell with or raise hell against. But you better cherish every moment. And you damn well better make the effort. Because the Grim Reaper is knocking on all our doors. I ain’t as old as ZZ or Von, but we ain’t got but so many days left. And that’s not a sad thing - I think it’s an opportunity to really live this life.

I picked a hell of a month to quit smoking...��
                  American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• So this is love
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

Long time no see Donnie, geez thats alot to read...
                    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
                      Long time no see Donnie, geez thats alot to read...
                      Skip to the last sentence and then use your imagination for the rest. It helps lol
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
                        He fixed it for you...
                        I noticed that today. Almost spit my coffee at the screen.
                        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                          I’ve been listening to ADKOT this evening while doing my woman’s work cleaning the house (this is what was called a joke before everybody turned into PC sissies in 2020).

I dunno what bozo was representing us in the negotiations but he came out with a deal where the women's work is now split 50/50 but we still have 100% of the mens work...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                            Getting old sucks.
                            Nah... saying goodbye sucks, sometimes...

Living life at it's fullest and pausing to appreciate all that it's brought you it is where it's at. I'm pausing briefly here to appreciate the sound track to my life... the brother and sisterhood shared... then pushing play and continuing the journey... crank it up!! There's more livin and shenanigans ahead!!
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Posted on Facebook...

Eric Johnson

There was a band in Austin Texas called Geneva and the gentleman. My friend Roscoe Beck played bass in this band. It was a nice jazz band that played around town quite frequently in the late 70s.
                              One night, I had gone down to sit in with them at the Sheraton hotel in Austin. After playing a couple of tunes with them I walked off the stage and a young gentleman came up to me and said hello. He was very friendly and mentioned that he was staying at the hotel and had just played a show at the Palmer Auditorium in Austin. He was in a band that had just recorded their first record and they were on their first tour of the US. I wasn’t familiar with them at this early time in their career.
                              We had a nice chat. His name was Eddie Van Halen and it was the first of two times that I met him. I never knew him well but I did visit with him one other time, years later after he had a number of records out and had become very successful.
                              I had been invited back to meet the band after their performance in Austin in the early 1990s. I had a nice chat with Eddie and he was once again very cordial.
                              Probably since Jimi Hendrix, Eddie was the principal guitarist that re-shaped and re-wrote rock guitar.
                              He left a huge and indelible mark on the evolution and contribution of great guitar playing. It’s hard to think that he’s not here anymore because he has had such an impact on guitar music.
                              God bless him and keep him. 🙏
                              Eric
                              Last edited by ZahZoo; 10-10-2020, 10:01 AM.
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

You know how they say you go through different stages of emotions during the grieving process? Well, my devastation and sadness over this death, will never subside. But, now I feel some anger seeping in. There's the obvious anger of Ed not taking care of himself. But hey, he was a rock star. I'd probably have been just as bad, or worse. Only I wouldn't have smoked. But what I really find myself angry over, is the same thing I've been so angry with this band about, for years. The time wasting. Yes, it's great he made up with Mike and even Clichegar. Yes, it was great he wanted to put the original band back together for one last hurrah. But he wasted so much time, it ended up being too late. I always thought, but never wanted to believe, this is what would happen. It would be too late.

I was working on the dune buggy last night in the garage, and I put on the US Festival show. I know, from a performance perspective, it wasn't the greatest show ever. But it was Van fucking Halen tearing it up in front of 300,000 (according to Dave) people. It gave me goosebumps. It put me back at the shows I saw. I would have loved to have seen that one more time. I really hope that Wolf, Al, or whomever, will at the very least realize how much it would mean to fans like us here, to have a high quality version of any of those shows, to enjoy anytime we want, as much as we want.

After that was over, I was searching YouTube and I came across some garage band show from 1996 hosted by Paul Schaeffer. It had a bunch of different musicians playing at the same time. Doing cover songs. Ed was on lead guitar. I had never watched it before. It was awesome. Ed looked like he was having such a great time.

Man, I'm still having trouble believing he's gone....

Comment

Working...