Thread: 1999 Roth Tour announced 10 years ago today...

Which wallet is yours?
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-07-2023 @ 10:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

1999 Roth Tour announced 10 years ago today...

Ten years ago today, the Diamond One announced to the world that he was going to be kicking off his first tour since his stint in Las Vegas in 1995. It was a tour that DLR fans had waited (in my opinion) way too long for being that it was Dave finally returning to big rock. Like many others on this site, in 1998 I was still reeling about the VH fiasco from two years earlier, and I was just dying for some kind of answer/retaliation from the Roth camp besides one new song on a Best Of compilation and an autobiographical book. Don’t get me wrong, “Don’t Piss Me Off” was cool in its own little way, and I still pick up my hardcover copy of CFTH from my bookshelf and read a chapter here and there. But I’m sorry, I wanted the real deal. I wanted a new, kick-ass album. A full-length album of newly-written, newly-recorded studio songs that would just blow VH away. I say “newly-written” because I didn’t want newly-recorded OLD music (sorry, but I’m now reminded of 2003’s Diamond Dave CD). I just didn’t want that. What’s so wrong about wanting a new album from a musician that you like? Then, when news of two new hard-rocking songs from Roth came (which were rumored, at the time, to be included on a new upcoming full-length album), I jumped (no pun intended) at hearing the samples of them that made their way onto the Internet. It was like my wish came true. I bought the Slam Dunk/King of the Hill CD single as soon as my local record store could order it in, and I salivated from then until the day of the DLR Band album’s release. Bought it in June (the 9th if I remember correctly) when it came out, listened, and wanted more! But then after that, the wait continued and I remember thinking, “Where’s the tour?” I also remember scratching my head and thinking at the time that releasing an album without touring on it was kind of like putting a new engine in a car and then not running the car or cooking food and then not eating it. You get the idea. I waited.

Enter 1999. Long story short, Dave announced on this day in April, when I was finishing up my Junior year in college, that he would be starting a tour in June with his new band: Bart Walsh (Atomic Punks) – Guitar, Todd Jensen – Bass, and Ray Luzier – Drums. I remember thinking: who better to fill EVH’s shoes than an EVH impersonator. Say what you like, but I saw Dave twice on that tour, and those were damn good times (again, no pun intended). I wish they would have played more DLR solo stuff, but I’m certainly not complaining. I got my money’s worth. My only real problem worthy of mention was that I didn’t get chance to see them a third time. Or a tenth time!

Dave played 62 shows (4 shows were cancelled). I don’t know how much money the tour grossed or any figures like that, but if the other 60 shows were anything like the 2 shows I saw, it really didn’t matter if Dave made a single penny. What he earned was something more than any amount of money could get him. He showed the VH camp that he still was “the guy”, regardless of how much the VH camp wanted the world to believe otherwise. Dave kicked ass on that tour…plain & simple. And he did so for one reason: He was a man on a mission. He had something to prove again. And fuckin’ A, he did!

Man, to be able to go back 10 years, especially when that would mean going back to being 21 years old, still in college, and still living the worry-free, care-free, maturity-free, routine-free, responsibility-free, party-hearty college lifestyle (Loooooooong sigh). So, to quote Ric Flair, “I say with a tear in my eye”, this sucks getting fucking older!!!!!

Your thoughts, people?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
    Reason
    Yawn

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    04-29-2012 @ 08:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well 10 yrs ago I was already 32 but the Roth tour news was really cool.
    I remember checking out the VH Newsdesk at the time and seeing photos of various gigs, (remember the yellow overalls?)....and I was thinking, Damn.....Dave's turned into a long-haired rocker again.(Good job-whoever "helped" with the hair).
    The gigs were great and the band and Roth definitely delivered some kick-ass R&R!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    12-20-2010 @ 02:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw Dave live for the very first time in 1999 when he opened up for Bad Company in Winston-Salem, NC. My gf and I got there seven hours early so we would not miss the show. We even had Bart's family right in front of us. It was a great show. We then went down to Myrtle Beach later in the year to see Dave again at the House of Blues. Dave's hair extensions looked the best on that tour. They were blonde, but not that washed out whitish-blonde he sported on the Dave-Sam tour.

5. Thanked dlrevh00 for this KICKASS post:

if6was9 (05-07-2009)

STAY FROSTY
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-25-2022 @ 12:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dlrevh00 View Post
    Dave's hair extensions looked the best on that tour. They were blonde, but not that washed out whitish-blonde he sported on the Dave-Sam tour.

Hair Extensions 1999 Tour!

unforgetable

Which wallet is yours?
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave's hair was definitely memorable on that tour! I saw him at Montage Mountain, PA when he opened for Bad Company and again on the second leg of the tour at the The Silo Bar in Reading, PA. The Silo was so cool cuz I was only about 6 feet from him.

It was a smaller crowd, but to me that was so damn cool because it seemed more personable and everybody was having such a great time. I'll never forget...in between songs the crowd starts chanting "Eddie sucks, Eddie sucks!". Dave: No, Eddie doesn't suck....Eddie just stands there, it's Gary that sucks!!

Totally unforgettable.

8. 05-07-2009, 01:48 PM
    Reason
    go deep throat a shotgun katie

9. 05-08-2009, 06:14 AM

Reason
    same stupid Katiespam, different day..... YAWN.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looking back through some clips, Dave's hair looks better from the front on the 2002 tour....in '99 he is kind of bald in the front.
    Looks like Mike Anthony is not the only Chia head out there....lol

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-24-2017 @ 11:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw him in 99 for the first time. Awesome show. Diamond Dave was the absolute best.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    99 marked the beginning of Dave's campaign to reunite with VH. Shame it took 8 years to come to fruition...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    99 marked the beginning of Dave's campaign to reunite with VH. Shame it took 8 years to come to fruition...
    Yep. Where he really concentrated on Van Halen songs without the Vegas Mambo or Sinatra type stuff. I saw him Jan 7, 2000 at the House of Blues inside the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. Open floor type place, probably got to where 4th row would be (mostly cause I kept working my way back out to grab 2 more beers at a time.). Very cool to watch Dave from up close. I took to very crappy pics, but here they are anyways. Sorry, I just scanned the photo album page cause I'm lazy today.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

2002 Dave was in great form vocally,physically and presence-wise.
    That would have been an awesome year for a real VH tour, not like I'm complaining about the 2007/08 one!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yah View Post
    2002 Dave was in great form vocally,physically and presence-wise.
    That would have been an awesome year for a real VH tour, not like I'm complaining about the 2007/08 one!
    Heck, any year is good for a Van Halen tour. But in 1996 they had the whole world by the balls and everyone was interested because they had been starved of real rock and roll for so long.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Heck, any year is good for a Van Halen tour. But in 1996 they had the whole world by the balls and everyone was interested because they had been starved of real rock and roll for so long.
    Yep, no real VH/Dave fan will ever forget the '96 Debacle.....they were all younger back then and it probably would have been magic.
    I think you could measure the disapointment on a richter scale back then when they started bitchin at each other and split, yet again.

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-22-2021 @ 02:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

That was a great tour with a tight band

Which wallet is yours?
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jero View Post
    That was a great tour with a tight band
    Oh, hell yeah! Not to stir up shit here, cuz I know for some EVH fans it's a touchy subject, but Bart's rendition of Eruption was so damn hot you could feel the heat coming off of it...especially when we saw them at The Silo where we were only a few feet away from him.

And I gotta tell you, if you closed your eyes, there were times when you couldn't tell if it was Todd Jensen or Michael Anthony doing those background vocals. Tight, man, tight!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yah View Post
    Well 10 yrs ago I was already 32 but the Roth tour news was really cool.
    I remember checking out the VH Newsdesk at the time and seeing photos of various gigs, (remember the yellow overalls?)....and I was thinking, Damn.....Dave's turned into a long-haired rocker again.(Good job-whoever "helped" with the hair).
    The gigs were great and the band and Roth definitely delivered some kick-ass R&R!

The yellow overalls were 2001.

Dave looked like an idiot in 1999.......with the fucking polka dot outfits.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Yep. Where he really concentrated on Van Halen songs without the Vegas Mambo or Sinatra type stuff. I saw him Jan 7, 2000 at the House of Blues inside the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. Open floor type place, probably got to where 4th row would be (mostly cause I kept working my way back out to grab 2 more beers at a time.). Very cool to watch Dave from up close.
    I saw him at the same place in '06... Met Bantonelli and AlbertR there also...

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw this tour, TIGHT So Damn TIGHT!!

I liked the 2001 tour better, both great times.

Aw hell everytime I see DLR it's better.

Which wallet is yours?
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    The yellow overalls were 2001.

Dave looked like an idiot in 1999.......with the fucking polka dot outfits.
    Now way, man! The polka dot outfits were pure Dave. As always, it was Dave being Dave and showing his own personal style...flash...pizzazz...or as Dave would say, "Charasma"!

Somehow I just couldn't picture Dave coming out on stage wearing dark gun-metal blue dirty faded frayed jeans that are 5 sizes too big on him and hanging down below his ass so that you see his boxer shorts, black steel-toe boots, a chain wallet where the chain hangs down to his knee, a thick black leather strap with spikes on it around his wrist, and a black 3XL t-shirt with (INSERT A HEAVY METAL BAND'S NAME HERE) on it.

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hell yeah I liked that band...the only tour I've seen Roth live.

Which wallet is yours?
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yikes, another 10 years gone by since Dave announced the '99 tour! Where have all the good times gone?

Thread Information