ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Saw them plenty in that era. They had more stage energy but in the technical music sense they played the best that last tour. I bet Alex Van Halen would agree with me. As far as a complete rock and roll presentation the early days were legendary.
    The 2007-2015 shows don't measure up to the '78-'84 shows, or before, in any metric. NONE.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (06-08-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    I saw them on their final tour, got second row seats day of show. The band WAS tight, Ed played flawlessly but he looked like he was on auto-pilot. There was minimal interaction between them, and most of it looked forced. Dave was fair to poor but probably did not care….he was on stage in front of 20 some thousand people, that’s all he was ever after.
    More or less what the Red Rocks show was like with one exception. I thought Eddie played brilliantly and really energized the audience. Seems the onus was on him to not only carry the band but Roth as well and there were times when Eddie looked upon Dave with contempt. Roth was irascible when Eddie upstaged him and that alone ruined that show for me. I guess if you were one of the lucky ones who saw them play back in '78-'82 (maybe '84) you'll have great memories of them but in 2015 hearing Roth sing was like going to a dentist without any anesthetic.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. 2 users say thank you to Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (06-09-2022),Von Halen (06-08-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    The best you ever saw them play? I'm guessing you never saw them from '78-'84 then.
    I often wondered just how loud Eddie was playing in those days

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    More or less what the Red Rocks show was like with one exception. I thought Eddie played brilliantly and really energized the audience. Seems the onus was on him to not only carry the band but Roth as well and there were times when Eddie looked upon Dave with contempt. Roth was irascible when Eddie upstaged him and that alone ruined that show for me. I guess if you were one of the lucky ones who saw them play back in '78-'82 (maybe '84) you'll have great memories of them but in 2015 hearing Roth sing was like going to a dentist without any anesthetic.
    First saw them in Philly in ‘84, 2 nights in a row. They filmed the concert and crowd scenes for the Panama video there, if you look really hard you still won’t see me. They were probably at their apex then, but it was the David Lee Roth show with a slamming band. I remember how both shows were identical, set list, ad libs, Dave’s “jokes”, forgetting the same lyrics at the same point. Loooong breaks between songs for you know who to pontificate…..still one of the best concerts I ever attended.

7. 2 users say thank you to Heater for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (06-08-2022),Terry (06-08-2022)

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Depends. Saw Cheap Trick and they are still good. Robin Zander sings as good as ever. Saw Ace Frehley. Must have been a good night. I enjoyed it. His solos were great. Alice Cooper still worth seeing. With Ace he had a great band. He lays back and let’s the band carry him while he throws picks out but when it’s Ace do a solo time he’s still Ace Frehley.
    Haven’t seen Ace Frehley live in a long time, but there’s plenty of YouTube’s that are recent where he is really good. Back in his heyday, brief though it may have been, I think he did a great job. His solos fit the song and they were well executed. Ace made me want to pick up a guitar, and then others came along who made me not want to put it down.

9. Thanked Heater for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-08-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    I often wondered just how loud Eddie was playing in those days
    From what I can remember of the 1984 show I saw, Eddie and the band weren't the loudest band I'd heard live, in terms of sheer volume.

The venue I saw them in was the same venue I saw upwards of two dozen shows in from 1983 to 1985. The loudest band I ever saw live was Deep Purple on their Perfect Strangers tour: my ears were literally ringing for days afterward.

The second loudest was Black Sabbath on the Born Again tour: the bass in particular was deafening.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So, I was fortunate to get to watch the whole soundcheck at The Palace Of Auburn Hills here in Michigan on the 2007 tour. I posted about it here, at the time. It was a closed soundcheck. Not even arena staff were allowed in. I was standing there talking to Doug, the sound man, and Ed walked up. I had been briefed as to act like I belonged if I were asked. Not to panic, or act like a fan boy. Only speak if I was directly asked a question. Don't dare pull out my phone. Well, I nearly shit myself when Ed walked up. I was standing right by the legend. He was talking to Doug and then looked at me, looked back at Doug, and then asked Doug who I was. Doug simply said something about me being okay, I was with him. I thought for sure I was going to get tossed out. I never said a word. But, to your point of the relapse Terry. They brought out a 6 pack of bottled beer, and set it side stage. I saw it with my own eyes. I remember being so disappointed. Since Dave doesn't do soundchecks, Wolf sang all the songs. As I recall, I ran into some dude from this site before the show started, who was up from Tennessee. I gave him my pass and he went backstage and ended up running into Dave!
    Very interesting.

I couldn't see Eddie drinking during the Tampa 2008 show, but it became apparent to everybody as the show went on (and particularly when his solo spot came up toward the end of the show, so the arena is just totally focused on Eddie, and Ed's image is being displayed close-up and larger than life on the large video screen) that Ed was either drunk or fucked up on something. He wasn't stumbling down fucked up, but he was toasted.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    First saw them in Philly in ‘84, 2 nights in a row. They filmed the concert and crowd scenes for the Panama video there, if you look really hard you still won’t see me. They were probably at their apex then, but it was the David Lee Roth show with a slamming band. I remember how both shows were identical, set list, ad libs, Dave’s “jokes”, forgetting the same lyrics at the same point. Loooong breaks between songs for you know who to pontificate…..still one of the best concerts I ever attended.

That 1984 show was probably the biggest I ever saw at the Providence Civic Center in terms of stage production. In the 2 to 3 years I was going to shows there in the 80s, Van Halen 1984 DEFINITELY had the most lights and the biggest stage/ramps erected. I didn't really perceive it to be the David Lee Roth Show with a slamming band, because everybody got to do a solo spot - Eddie in particular had a very lengthy guitar solo spot - but, yeah, Roth did a LOT of inbetween song raps. He did a joke about picking up a woman and taking her back to his hotel room, where she proceeded to take off her wig and put it on the nightstand table. Then she took off her false eyelashes and put them on the nightstand table. Then she took off her high heels and put them on the nightstand table. Then she took off her padded bra and put it on the nightstand table. She got into the bed, and David got up. She asked Dave where he was going, and Dave replied "I'm going over to fuck the table."

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Haven’t seen Ace Frehley live in a long time, but there’s plenty of YouTube’s that are recent where he is really good. Back in his heyday, brief though it may have been, I think he did a great job. His solos fit the song and they were well executed. Ace made me want to pick up a guitar, and then others came along who made me not want to put it down.
    I mean, the stuff he did on KISS Alive...technically, it wasn't difficult, but I just loved what he did.

Same goes for, like...the solo on Calling Dr. Love was just...perfect, you know?

I still think his 1978 solo album was great.

14. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (06-09-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Very interesting.

I couldn't see Eddie drinking during the Tampa 2008 show, but it became apparent to everybody as the show went on (and particularly when his solo spot came up toward the end of the show, so the arena is just totally focused on Eddie, and Ed's image is being displayed close-up and larger than life on the large video screen) that Ed was either drunk or fucked up on something. He wasn't stumbling down fucked up, but he was toasted.

I saw them a couple of months later in Baltimore in 2008 and as you say he wasn't a mess but he was below par. He was just about adequate but you didn't feel like you were in the presence of a guitar god, he ducked the difficult bits and his solo spot was a bit meh. Roth was just about the best I've ever seen him.

16. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022)

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

...Roth did a LOT of inbetween song raps. He did a joke about picking up a woman and taking her back to his hotel room, where she proceeded to take off her wig and put it on the nightstand table. Then she took off her false eyelashes and put them on the nightstand table. Then she took off her high heels and put them on the nightstand table. Then she took off her padded bra and put it on the nightstand table. She got into the bed, and David got up. She asked Dave where he was going, and Dave replied "I'm going over to fuck the table."
    Man, I thought I'd heard just about all of DLRs concert banter but damnned if that one isn't new to me.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I mean, the stuff he did on KISS Alive...technically, it wasn't difficult, but I just loved what he did.

Same goes for, like...the solo on Calling Dr. Love was just...perfect, you know?

Hit and miss drug addict with a lot of natural talent. When Ace is firing on all cylinders he’s great. Great tone and really makes his guitar say something. Good players make their guitars talk and sing.

19. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    A lot of technically proficient players will bore you to tears. You have to be entertaining or everyone except for the biggest guitar nerds will hate you.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    From what I can remember of the 1984 show I saw, Eddie and the band weren't the loudest band I'd heard live, in terms of sheer volume.

The venue I saw them in was the same venue I saw upwards of two dozen shows in from 1983 to 1985. The loudest band I ever saw live was Deep Purple on their Perfect Strangers tour: my ears were literally ringing for days afterward.

The second loudest was Black Sabbath on the Born Again tour: the bass in particular was deafening.
    The loudest for me was Ted Nugent in 1980. Holy shit! My left ear rang for three days. I thought I had tinnitus.

22. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The 2007-2015 shows don't measure up to the '78-'84 shows, or before, in any metric. NONE.
    I saw them on the Diver Down tour and they were kind of sloppy that night. The US Festival too. Not every night was good in the old days. Saw them in 1980 twice and they brought the goods both nights.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I saw them a couple of months later in Baltimore in 2008 and as you say he wasn't a mess but he was below par. He was just about adequate but you didn't feel like you were in the presence of a guitar god, he ducked the difficult bits and his solo spot was a bit meh. Roth was just about the best I've ever seen him.
    That was really kind of Tampa in a nutshell: Ed was JUST ABOUT adequate...his solo spot sort of devolved from him trying to do Eruption and not really pulling it off in terms of it being fluid (and, I mean, Ed not being able to do Eruption?) and then doing the trilling speed picking and sort of stumbling with that, and eventually he just started hitting harmonic whammy bar dives...and the crowd had this hushed, sort of confused vibe watching Ed not being able to play as well as he could, or should, or whatever.

Roth, by contrast...I mean, I had seen him play in 2005 and 2006, and at both those gigs he wasn't exactly phoning it in but he was hardly...he couldn't have been accused of trying too hard at either of those shows, either, you know? The contrast between those two shows and what he did fronting Van Halen in 2007-2008...I've doubtless said it before, but Dave really upped his game. He wasn't treating the reunion like some half-assed victory lap with a guaranteed jackpot regardless: you could tell Roth had put in the preparation and was making the effort. Which is what you as a fan expect anyway, right? But I've noticed at more than a few shows I've been to in the last twenty years - most of which were older, established bands - that sometimes these living rock legends don't TRY very hard anymore. Either because they can't or they don't have to, I dunno.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Man, I thought I'd heard just about all of DLRs concert banter but damnned if that one isn't new to me.
    He did what I later found out was the typical Roth quips. "Look at all the people here tonight!" "You all here are the rowdiest bunch of motherfuckers!" "I forgot the fucking words!" I didn't know when I saw the concert that Roth tended to use those same lines night after night, because the only live stuff I'd seen or heard up to that point was the 3 Oakland Fair Warning videos and the edited/abbreviated US Festival set that was aired on cable tv a few months after the US Festival.

But I do remember that nightstand table joke. Mostly because he took a long time telling it...and I remember when he told the punchline about half the audience laughed and the other half groaned.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hit and miss drug addict with a lot of natural talent. When Ace is firing on all cylinders he’s great. Great tone and really makes his guitar say something. Good players make their guitars talk and sing.
    I was about to say that...like, I have a memory of listening to KISS Alive at an older relative's house in 1976. I was listening to it on headphones, and those lead parts just sort of...sang. And this was...I mean, back then it was a couple of years before KISS were on tv with any frequency...I'd see pictures of them in rock magazines or whatever, but mostly I remember staring at the KISS Alive album cover and listening to them. I hadn't even started playing guitar back then...I was 6 years old in 1976. But I remember listening to that album over and over again, hearing the explosions at the end of Black Diamond, and listening to the lead guitar parts.

I recall Paul Stanley around the time of the Revenge album saying that Ace had a lot of natural talent and a Jimmy Page-quality to his playing that never really blossomed, and I think to a degree that may be true. I can't say that I've even heard any of Frehley's stuff post-1980s, mostly because I haven't. But Frehley took bits and pieces of what Clapton, Page, Beck and Hendrix were doing...I can hear those influences in his playing. Ultimately, Ace is definitely representative of that 1970s blues pentatonic-based rock, and that style has limitations. But in the long haul I find these days I'd rather hear rock guitar that sings as opposed to just being this blinding display of high-speed technical ability.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The loudest for me was Ted Nugent in 1980. Holy shit! My left ear rang for three days. I thought I had tinnitus.
    That Black Sabbath Born Again show was the first loud rock concert I ever went to, at the princely age of 13, so I suppose it was natural that the volume sort of stunned me.

The Deep Purple Perfect Strangers tour was a year and a half or two years later, and I had been to a bunch of concerts between the Born Again show and the Perfect Strangers show, so I was used to loud rock shows...or so I thought. Deep Purple were fucking LOUD.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The solo in Calling Dr. Love is probably my favorite of his. The Alive II version of that song…..forget about it.

Also, the solo in Got to Choose is the best part of that song.

29. Thanked Heater for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022)

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That 1984 show was probably the biggest I ever saw at the Providence Civic Center in terms of stage production. In the 2 to 3 years I was going to shows there in the 80s, Van Halen 1984 DEFINITELY had the most lights and the biggest stage/ramps erected. I didn't really perceive it to be the David Lee Roth Show with a slamming band, because everybody got to do a solo spot - Eddie in particular had a very lengthy guitar solo spot - but, yeah, Roth did a LOT of inbetween song raps. He did a joke about picking up a woman and taking her back to his hotel room, where she proceeded to take off her wig and put it on the nightstand table. Then she took off her false eyelashes and put them on the nightstand table. Then she took off her high heels and put them on the nightstand table. Then she took off her padded bra and put it on the nightstand table. She got into the bed, and David got up. She asked Dave where he was going, and Dave replied "I'm going over to fuck the table."
    At the Philly shows it was the one about the girl screaming and banging on his hotel room door all night long…..he finally got tired of listening to her so he unlocked the door and let her out.

31. Thanked Heater for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022)

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A lot of technically proficient players will bore you to tears. You have to be entertaining or everyone except for the biggest guitar nerds will hate you.
    Agree, there’s a point when it becomes little more than a lot of notes in a short amount of time. As an example, to ME, all of the Yngwie songs I’ve heard sound about the same due to that.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Agree, there’s a point when it becomes little more than a lot of notes in a short amount of time. As an example, to ME, all of the Yngwie songs I’ve heard sound about the same due to that.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Ace's solos on all those classic 70s KISS songs are stellar.

And yes, there's not many guitar players that can make their solos actually "sing" and make the listener even sing along to them.
    Ace did that in spades (no pun intended).

The solo on Rocket Ride is just so awesome. Never get tired of hearing it.

35. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (06-10-2022),Terry (06-09-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

That Black Sabbath Born Again show was the first loud rock concert I ever went to, at the princely age of 13, so I suppose it was natural that the volume sort of stunned me.

The Deep Purple Perfect Strangers tour was a year and a half or two years later, and I had been to a bunch of concerts between the Born Again show and the Perfect Strangers show, so I was used to loud rock shows...or so I thought. Deep Purple were fucking LOUD.
    So it must have been Ian Gillan's fault then, since he's the common denominator in those two tours. Maybe he loves the sound of his own screams?

37. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    So it must have been Ian Gillan's fault then, since he's the common denominator in those two tours. Maybe he loves the sound of his own screams?
    Ha! You know, for whatever reason, I hadn't really considered that Gillan was the common denominator!

With the Deep Purple show, I recall it was actually Blackmore's guitar that was particularly piercing to my ears.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Could have been worse... loudest concert I ever went to was Bon Jovi in the Tacoma Dome in 1989. So loud it was distorted and I couldn't tell what song they were playing most of the time. Never was a big fan of the band, went with friends, and basically because the chicks would be there. For that reason, the show was much easier on the eyes than the ears.

40. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (06-10-2022),Terry (06-09-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I was about to say that...like, I have a memory of listening to KISS Alive at an older relative's house in 1976. I was listening to it on headphones, and those lead parts just sort of...sang. And this was...I mean, back then it was a couple of years before KISS were on tv with any frequency...I'd see pictures of them in rock magazines or whatever, but mostly I remember staring at the KISS Alive album cover and listening to them. I hadn't even started playing guitar back then...I was 6 years old in 1976. But I remember listening to that album over and over again, hearing the explosions at the end of Black Diamond, and listening to the lead guitar parts.

I recall Paul Stanley around the time of the Revenge album saying that Ace had a lot of natural talent and a Jimmy Page-quality to his playing that never really blossomed, and I think to a degree that may be true. I can't say that I've even heard any of Frehley's stuff post-1980s, mostly because I haven't. But Frehley took bits and pieces of what Clapton, Page, Beck and Hendrix were doing...I can hear those influences in his playing. Ultimately, Ace is definitely representative of that 1970s blues pentatonic-based rock, and that style has limitations. But in the long haul I find these days I'd rather hear rock guitar that sings as opposed to just being this blinding display of high-speed technical ability.
    Ace has his own style. He has great vibrato and great control of his picking. The guy can play. Hell, most the time Ace played better live than Jimi Page ever did. Ha! Ha!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Ace's solos on all those classic 70s KISS songs are stellar.

And yes, there's not many guitar players that can make their solos actually "sing" and make the listener even sing along to them.
    Ace did that in spades (no pun intended).

The solo on Rocket Ride is just so awesome. Never get tired of hearing it.
    Ace had the rocket sauce. There’s a reason people love him. He has to be the most adored screw up there is but what’s more rock and roll than that?

43. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022),Vinnie Velvet (06-10-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That was really kind of Tampa in a nutshell: Ed was JUST ABOUT adequate...his solo spot sort of devolved from him trying to do Eruption and not really pulling it off in terms of it being fluid (and, I mean, Ed not being able to do Eruption?) and then doing the trilling speed picking and sort of stumbling with that, and eventually he just started hitting harmonic whammy bar dives...and the crowd had this hushed, sort of confused vibe watching Ed not being able to play as well as he could, or should, or whatever.

Roth, by contrast...I mean, I had seen him play in 2005 and 2006, and at both those gigs he wasn't exactly phoning it in but he was hardly...he couldn't have been accused of trying too hard at either of those shows, either, you know? The contrast between those two shows and what he did fronting Van Halen in 2007-2008...I've doubtless said it before, but Dave really upped his game. He wasn't treating the reunion like some half-assed victory lap with a guaranteed jackpot regardless: you could tell Roth had put in the preparation and was making the effort. Which is what you as a fan expect anyway, right? But I've noticed at more than a few shows I've been to in the last twenty years - most of which were older, established bands - that sometimes these living rock legends don't TRY very hard anymore. Either because they can't or they don't have to, I dunno.
    I saw VH in 84 three times. One show I was right up front. Ed played part of his guitar solo sitting on the edge of the stage right in front of me. He was in his own world totally off into solo land. Kind of cool seeing him play probably 8 feet away.

Anyways those shows were good but Ed was doing shows. He seemed substance worn and there because there was a show to do but you could tell he lived playing.

Anyways who I saw the last tour was a different guy. He was having the time of his life. The guy was happy and I don’t think he made a single mistake the whole show. Maybe I saw him on a good night who knows but I was sober, Ed was sober and he played great.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It's over.

Rest In Peace, both to Eddie Van Halen and Van Halen.

The one classy move left at this point? Put it to rest and refrain from picking at the carcass. Leave that shit to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Agree..at least we still have Nerd Halen

46. 2 users say thank you to Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022),Von Halen (06-10-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyways it’s about entertainment, not music. If your music entertains no one, nobody cares. A simple reality so many people don’t understand.

48. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Agree..at least we still have Nerd Halen

The fat lady not only sang but farted.

50. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Could have been worse... loudest concert I ever went to was Bon Jovi in the Tacoma Dome in 1989. So loud it was distorted and I couldn't tell what song they were playing most of the time. Never was a big fan of the band, went with friends, and basically because the chicks would be there. For that reason, the show was much easier on the eyes than the ears.
    The Purple show was loud, although when the band were playing the songs the mix was good enough where it wasn't distorted.

It was when Blackmore did his solo spot...and all he really did was a bunch of feedback tremolo stuff, but it sounded like it was louder than when the entire band was onstage playing together.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ace had the rocket sauce. There’s a reason people love him. He has to be the most adored screw up there is but what’s more rock and roll than that?
    I mean, Vinnie Vincent and Bruce Kulick and Tommy Thayer are all technically proficient players, but all of them were a bit too polished to me...even Ace's mistakes still sounded great, you know? Like, those other three guys, you knew they were never gonna hit a bum note. Even though I've heard it a zillion times, when I listen to She off of Alive! and that solo bit at the end Ace does...Ace had that screw up quality where to this day I listen to him doing his sort of slow Chuck Berry bends up the neck and I STILL think he's gonna blow it! And then he starts speeding up the lick when he gets toward the top of the fretboard, and it's like you're just waiting for Ace to fuck it up...even though you've heard it a million times.

53. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (06-10-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I saw them in an opening band slot in 1985, before Slippery When Wet came out, and wouldn't have believed it then if somebody had told me within a couple of years they would have been half as huge as they ended up being. But, Jon Bon Jovi was a good-looking guy. The little girls in the audience were squealing for Bon Jovi and Sambora even back in 1985 BEFORE Slippery When Wet came out.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Roth, by contrast...I mean, I had seen him play in 2005 and 2006, and at both those gigs he wasn't exactly phoning it in but he was hardly...he couldn't have been accused of trying too hard at either of those shows, either, you know? The contrast between those two shows and what he did fronting Van Halen in 2007-2008...I've doubtless said it before, but Dave really upped his game. He wasn't treating the reunion like some half-assed victory lap with a guaranteed jackpot regardless: you could tell Roth had put in the preparation and was making the effort. Which is what you as a fan expect anyway, right?
    I may be wrong but at worst I'm only a bit wrong but to my knowledge that tour was the only time before or since he rehearsed for a few weeks properly with Van Halen or his solo band since at least the 90s...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I mean, Vinnie Vincent and Bruce Kulick and Tommy Thayer are all technically proficient players, but all of them were a bit too polished to me...even Ace's mistakes still sounded great, you know? Like, those other three guys, you knew they were never gonna hit a bum note. Even though I've heard it a zillion times, when I listen to She off of Alive! and that solo bit at the end Ace does...Ace had that screw up quality where to this day I listen to him doing his sort of slow Chuck Berry bends up the neck and I STILL think he's gonna blow it! And then he starts speeding up the lick when he gets toward the top of the fretboard, and it's like you're just waiting for Ace to fuck it up...even though you've heard it a million times.
    David Lee Roth put it best. You don’t want things too perfect. You want your jeans faded with a few holes in them. You want the silver a little tarnished. There’s an art to making mistakes and Ace was a master at it.

Our daughter loves Ace Frehley. She discovered him on her own. She got me back listening to Ace stuff. But she said he’s just cool. Our daughter is a classically trained pianist by the way. She took years of lessons. She knows music but she loves ol’ tarnished Ace Frehley. She saw him open for Alice Cooper and loved it.

57. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-10-2022),Vinnie Velvet (06-10-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Chick bands. I swear a Duran Duran show I was at smelled like wet pussy. I remember some security guy saying the seats were wet from the girls at a Beatles show in the 60’s. I thought he was exaggerating but maybe not. The venue was hot and tangy.

59. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-10-2022)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The loudest I ever got was at a small venue in Savoy. Northern French death metal band called Loudblast nearly ruined my eardrums.

The riffs were cool, but I always find the vocals and mean attitudes fucking ridiculous, so I never listen to that kind of stuff,
    except Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss maybe once every three years.

Thread Information