X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Was it a tribute or an excuse for promoting the living? A tribute is a nice funeral, a moment of silence, or even a monument but you don’t make $$$$ doing that.
    True. So perhaps the "tribute" was used to make $$$$.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Inherited?

He played the two VH tunes well. He can clearly play guitar. It wasn't really shocking how well he played those VH tunes, in that by this point 40 years or more on, a LOT of people can play those tunes well now. I can play those two tunes as well as he can. So can a million Youtubers. Although in all honesty I'd be more than a little nervous (far more nervous than him) going onstage and playing them in front of that many people. I suspect more than a few of those Youtubers I mentioned would be pretty nervous, too....

But whatever. I suppose I should take it for what it was, which was a nice, innocuous tribute to his father, rather than nitpick the shit out of it.
      Funny but Steve Vai, that slouch on guitar, had a tough time making CVH covers work live on EEAS tours. Yeah a lot of people can cover them but getting close to the actual feel of the song and tone are a whole other kettle of fish. My point is that his tone is pretty close to Ed's, not just virtuosity. You seem a tad ornery of late...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Steve Vai is great, but his tone is a very jazzish clean sharp sound that didn't mesh well with Ed's style, even if you could argue that maybe Vai was the better technical player though I would never...

I liked EEAS but hearing some renditions of songs like Panama made be cringe and almost cry saying "Dave, WTF did you do?"...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
          Hey, you're talking to NickDoesn'tknowshit. Keep in mind, he is defending douchebag Dave Grohl in this thread. Neither have created anything original in their lives.
          See my latter comments and fuck off, Von Helen. You're the first one to trash other players covering CVH, you hate EEAS. That's my whole fucking point, it's not just about technical virtuosity but the actual fucking fingers that define your sound. Not just the gear and style...

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Was it a tribute or an excuse for promoting the living? A tribute is a nice funeral, a moment of silence, or even a monument but you don’t make $$$$ doing that.
            I don't know if the concert itself was designed as a "benefit" show (much like the Freddie Mercury tribute in 1992 raised money for AIDS related causes) but the MTV you tube feed had a fundraising link to a non-profit called "MusicCares".
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              Steve Vai is great, but his tone is a very jazzish clean sharp sound that didn't mesh well with Ed's style, even if you could argue that maybe Vai was the better technical player though I would never...

I liked EEAS but hearing some renditions of songs like Panama made be cringe and almost cry saying "Dave, WTF did you do?"...
              I agree Vai's take on the CVH material wasn't great. Maybe that's why Vai wasnt necessarily Dave first choice. He originally went to Steve Stevens who I think would've pulled off Ed's stuff better.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                Fatty fingers will only take him so far. Dude could never play a complete set of CVH songs on guitar.

He looked gassed after playing two.

He did play well but let’s be honest he desperately needs to lose weight.
                Wolfgang is very er... hefty for sure, but if you take a close look at his fingers you'll see they aren't chubby, but surprisingly rather slim.
                Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 09-06-2022, 02:49 PM.
                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                  I agree Vai's take on the CVH material wasn't great. Maybe that's why Vai wasnt necessarily Dave first choice. He originally went to Steve Stevens who I think would've pulled off Ed's stuff better.

Steve Stevens would have made a great "fake Eddie"
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Guy who wrote to Beato was probably that "Satan's Bush" douchetube who posted his insane conspiracy theories about Wolfie miming his bass parts to tapes on the 2007 tour.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Mushroom
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by FORD

Steve Stevens would have made a great "fake Eddie"
                        No. Just No.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

This. THIS is where it's at, you cretins

Comment

• Mushroom
                            Commando
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            It's nice to hear a positive fresh take instead of reading a bunch of old curmudgeons in a groupthink

Comment

• Mushroom
                              Commando
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                              This. THIS is where it's at, you cretins

A stage-full of douche bags.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                                It's nice to hear a positive fresh take instead of reading a bunch of old curmudgeons in a groupthink

(p)Rick Beat Off To is a failed musician and a con artist. This dick weed thinks if he hangs around and interviews musicians who have talent maybe some of that mojo will rub off on his tiny dick when he's not rubbing it off. His shitty theory books are overpriced and he has this weird obsession with chord progressions that musicologist can't seem to understand. This guy is a fucktard with capital TARD. He's too stupid to become a music critic so he goes on YouGoob and outembarrasses himself. Fuck this fart slammer with a coffee mug just purchased at the local CVS pharmacy.

Oh, and you're old.

Like really old.

Comment

Working...