Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I think Campbell has dropped out because of his cancer. But I agree. I really thought he would provide more edge than he did. I think he was just a hired gun, and really had no input. This has to be Elliot and Collen's band now. I believe they ruined it for radio, and can't figure out how to get back to their roots. Which wouldn't work in the climate of todays music and music business, anyway.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by WARF
      Pyromania was pretty good too I guess but they were heading too much into the commercialized MTV era.

I can't stand this band now and refuse to see them live.
      Last time I saw them we left after 6 songs.

We were there to see Steel Panther support them.

Comment

• private parts
        Sniper
        • Jan 2007

Pyro was pretty good. Actually saw that tour from the front row (actually smashed up against the barricade) of festival seating (the good ole days).
        But Hysteria just got to tedious with all the guitar and vocal layering and techno sound effects.
        sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
          I think Campbell has dropped out because of his cancer. But I agree. I really thought he would provide more edge than he did. I think he was just a hired gun, and really had no input. This has to be Elliot and Collen's band now. I believe they ruined it for radio, and can't figure out how to get back to their roots. Which wouldn't work in the climate of todays music and music business, anyway.
          They would sell a shit ton more records if they went back to at least their pyromania sounds. They are alienating their old fans and not bringing much new fan base with anything they did in the past twenty years. I think they just wanna sell out shows based on the nostalgia of their 80's hits ( Viva Hysteria tour ) and they don't really care if they sell copies. I heard they have a deluxe edition of SLANG , bwahahahahahaha. I remember when I heard that WHEN LOVE AND HATE COLLIDES song and wondered how the fucking the mighty Def Leppard has transformed into NSYNC.... then I did some research they had the same writer.... seriously. What a fucking shit band!

Comment

• private parts
            Sniper
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by private parts
            all the guitar and vocal layering and techno sound effects.
            Aka "Pussification" which BTW got them a lot of it.
            sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• WARF
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              Last time I saw them we left after 6 songs.

We were there to see Steel Panther support them.
              Def Leppard should be supporting Steel Panther.

This was the last decent Def Leppard song.

It's not greatness but it at least shows some flashes of Pyro/Hysteria

Comment

• WARF
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

I also dig a couple tracks from RETROACTIVE mostly because they are Steve Clark recordings PUSSIFIED by Phil Colon....

But I still think is a really solid Def Leppard track, the best since Gods of War....

What do you think?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by WARF
                  I remember when I heard that WHEN LOVE AND HATE COLLIDES song and wondered how the fucking the mighty Def Leppard has transformed into NSYNC.... then I did some research they had the same writer.... seriously. What a fucking shit band!
                  I just checked the setlist of the show we walked out of.

Rocket
                  C'mon C'mon
                  Make Love Like a Man
                  Armageddon It
                  When Love and Hate Collide
                  Nine Lives

It took most of song 5 to ask everyone(there were 6 of us) if they wanted to go so we walked out as 6 started.

The bill was exactly upside down

Def Leppard
                  Motley Crue
                  Steel Panther

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'd never even heard 'C'mon C'mon' before, what a sack of Pop Idol shit that is.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • May 2010

Some of his later work:

Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                        Never noticed how much High And Dry sounded like an AC/DC song. This is the first DL song I remember hearing.
                        No question that Ac/Dc was a big influence on their early sound. In fact, there's a live video of "Problem Child" on one of Ac/Dc's recent video box sets. The performance was for some UK TV show called "Rock Goes To College" in 1977 or 78, and there's this group of poodle-haired kids near the front of the stage banging their heads along with the music. The camera doesn't stay on them long enough for a positive ID, but it looks a lot like the teenaged Def Leppard to me. They would have formed the band shortly after this, so perhaps that's where the inspiration came from.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• WARF
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

You mean this , FORD?

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yep, that's the one. Didn't even look for it on YouTube, because I figured the RIAA fascists would have already yanked it.

And sure enough.... they did just that. I swear those leeches watch this website.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• cadaverdog
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by FORD
                              No question that Ac/Dc was a big influence on their early sound. In fact, there's a live video of "Problem Child" on one of Ac/Dc's recent video box sets. The performance was for some UK TV show called "Rock Goes To College" in 1977 or 78, and there's this group of poodle-haired kids near the front of the stage banging their heads along with the music. The camera doesn't stay on them long enough for a positive ID, but it looks a lot like the teenaged Def Leppard to me. They would have formed the band shortly after this, so perhaps that's where the inspiration came from.
                              Not sure about that but Phil Collen's picture is on the back cover of Deep Purple's Made In Japan. The picture was actually taken at a private school in England.
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                                No question that Ac/Dc was a big influence on their early sound.
                                Their biggest influence was Mutt Lange and with him doing AC/DC albums at the same time as their early albums a lot of the sound would come from that.

There is no real reason to assume that Pete Willis leaving led to the pussification of DL. That happened over a number of years and maybe it was just in response to the fact that the more they went in that direction the more albums they sold.

By the end of the process the songs Mutt Lange was producing/writing with Bryan Adams even Shania Twain could just as easily have been on Def Leppard albums.

Comment

Working...