Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

BoV1 moving 8 million units certainly FEELS like a high amount...much higher than I would have thought...by as much as 3 to 4 million higher than I would have thought.

Particularly since the figures listed were from 2013.

Not that I'm doubting the figures, mind you: clearly the RIAA has better access to sales date than I do.

I also seem to recall each subsequent Van Hagar release sold a little less than the one before it, thus I was surprised to see Balance outselling FUCK, although to be fair I probably haven't even looked at sales figures for the catalog for perhaps 15 years now...the last time I looked, I seem to remember the CVH era having sold around 40 million and the Van Hagar years doing around 20 million.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-18-2020, 10:40 PM.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

I did think at one point that the CVH stuff had the advantage from a sales comparison of not having been initially released in CD format, which would necessitate people repurchasing the CVH material on cd as their records/tapes wore out. Although to be fair, Van Hagar's first two albums were released in record, tape and CD format...I'm assuming FUCK was, too, although by 1991 vinyl was certainly on the wane.

Others would say that CVH had an "unfair" advantage because they put out 6 studio albums vs. 4 for Van Hagar. I never understood THAT one: CVH put out more records in less time than Van Hagar...it wasn't Dave's fault the band stopped producing music as fast after he left.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        Exactly! What I wouldn't give for an official release of any of those shows!
        When I look at what KISS did with those KISStory dvd's or Led Zep did with their backlog of footage (with Page even soliciting/utilizing bootleg footage)...and then to think of all those CVH shows I mentioned (and those are just the ones off the top of my head, mind you) and yet all we ever got was Van Hagar official live video releases...goddamned ridiculous. Even Roth circa 2003 or so was saying in interviews that he was just as baffled as everybody else as to why Van Halen wasn't coming out with Deluxe versions of album reissues, or scouring the vaults for live dvd releases in light of how the live Zeppelin cd/dvd release of that period was selling like hotcakes.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I only bought the first of the KISStory DVDs but those things look like Chaim literally just put out some old bootlegs himself, with the official name & price tag on them. As opposed to the full on professional mastering job that Page did with the Zeppelin stuff. I'm hoping that when the Van Halen videos eventually get the official release, it's not a 10th generation bootleg used as the source material.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

and the Trunk interview

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
                and the Trunk interview

I am seriously debating whether I can stomach listening to this.

Comment

• Figs
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

This guy ..... this is not my kind of guy ....... (trunk)

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'll be skipping this, the Trunk bell end factor is just too high, I'm sure if there is anything interesting said I can just read a summary here instead.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

"Your dad got to meet me twice. Later Sammy told me your dad really seemed to like me but never said anything because he was kind of in awe"

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        "Your dad got to meet me twice. Later Sammy told me your dad really seemed to like me but never said anything because he was kind of in awe"
                        Did Trunk actually say that? If he did, well, what an asshole...

... and well, if he didn't, what an asshole anyway.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I dunno I haven't listened to it. Probably.

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

So, I listened to the Trunk interview, because I'm a VH geek and I just can't ignore anything that is about this whole deal. Other than Trunk talking about the one and only time he met Ed, when Ed requested to meet him , Trunk did a really commendable job on the interview. Trunk was smart enough to realize VH is hallowed ground, and he pretty much respected it. I will go so far as to say, I think Trunk did a much better interview with Wolfgang, than Stern did.

Wolfgang is very in tune with the wants and needs of CVH fan. Actually, he's very much in tune with what VH fan in general, wants and needs. I truly believe he kind of commandeered reuniting Roth with the band, for his Dad, and for us. I think his whole "Kitchen Sink" idea was for the same reasons. I believe he wanted no regrets for the band members and fans. It's unfortunate he wasn't able to pull that off, just from a peace of mind aspect. Mainly for his Dad and Mike Anthony. That would have been killer. I of course, am a dick, and am happy that Clichegar's last stand with VH was a disaster, and will remain so historically. But for peace of mind for all of them, it would have been cool if Wolfgang had been able to pull that off.

Comment

• silverfish
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              "Your dad got to meet me twice.
                              "...got to meet me"??!

Reminds me of the "all for the glorification of your massive ego!" Seinfeld quote...
                              Originally posted by sadaist
                              I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The Trunk interview was not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought there would be more Hagar talk.

Comment

Working...