X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

FX series 'Justified'

I always dig hearing about Van Halen/Roth drops in pop culture... especially when it comes from something I like.

Wish I could just post a video clip but I haven't found one yet... but anyway, there was a Van Halen reference (culled from the VH reference at the end of 'Fast Times At Ridgemont High') during a pivotal scene of the critically acclaimed Emmy award winning FX series 'Justified'.

One of the main plots during the season is a hunt for 3.2 million dollars that was left behind when a main character committed suicide at the end of last season... kind like 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' with Oxycontin, bourbon, hookers, gangsters, US Marshals... yadda, yadda, yadda.

So when Marshal Givens (the kick ass Timothy Olyphant) realizes the money is with a preteen girl that he's taken a shine to (after saving her from sex offenders and murders), rather than seize the money he agrees to turn a blind eye from it but warns her that he doesn't want to see a new Lexus (?) in her drive way nor that she's 'hired Van Halen to play her birthday party'. And in one of the best lines of the season the chick deadpans "Marshal, do I strike you in any way as a Van Halen fan?"

Great stuff!

Same episode had another great scene where the main villain was chained up in a trailer with two hillbillie hookers doing Oxy shotguns through a real shotgun while REO Speedwagon's 'I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore' plays in the background... looks much better than it sounds.
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

That is such a great show. If you are into it and have not already done so, check out Elmore Leonard's novels Pronto (1993), Riding the Rap (1995) and Raylan (2012), on which the show is based upon. Seriously, this is the definition of "Must-See TV."

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Mr Walker
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Comment

• Mr Walker
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

I'll try and find (or create) a youtube clip later...

Comment

• TJMKID
          Veteran
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
          I'll try and find (or create) a youtube clip later...

Why hasn't any studio done a remake of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"? That is one of the most classic teen sex comedies of all time. Maybe a 30th high school reunion where Jeff Spicoli became an internet millionaire and actually does hire Van Halen to play?

Make it happen, you Hollywood dipshits!

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
            Why hasn't any studio done a remake of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"? That is one of the most classic teen sex comedies of all time. Maybe a 30th high school reunion where Jeff Spicoli became an internet millionaire and actually does hire Van Halen to play?

Make it happen, you Hollywood dipshits!
            I don't know if they could top this...

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• High Life Man
              Commando
              • Jan 2004

Such an incredibly great show. They do a great job of getting b-list actors into meaty roles. Bubba Gump anyone?

Comment

• Mr Walker
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

This wasn't so hard to do...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

This wasn't so hard to do...
                  The video says Fox blocked it "on copyright grounds"....Bastards!!!

Comment

• Mr Walker
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                    The video says Fox blocked it "on copyright grounds"....Bastards!!!
                    Are you serious?

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Are you serious?
                      Dude, I just hit it again and I get the same thing. WTF? If you chopped and posted it on youtube, then damn, those SOBs are FAST!!!

Comment

• Mr Walker
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Dude, I just hit it again and I get the same thing. WTF? If you chopped and posted it on youtube, then damn, those SOBs are FAST!!!
                        Fuck... they did... I was still able to see it here on my computer, but just checked my g-mail and saw that they hit me.
                        Oh well!

Your video "justifieds03e12VH.00.avi", may have content that is owned or licensed by FOX. As a result, the video has been blocked on YouTube. .

This claim is penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notices page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,
                        - The YouTube Team

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Fuck... they did... I was still able to see it here on my computer, but just checked my g-mail and saw that they hit me.
                          Oh well!

Your video "justifieds03e12VH.00.avi", may have content that is owned or licensed by FOX. As a result, the video has been blocked on YouTube. .

This claim is penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notices page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,
                          - The YouTube Team
                          Fuck!!! That was fast! What a bunch of crap - they're "penalizing your account status"....what ever. Hey, at least you gave it a shot.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Fuck!!! That was fast! What a bunch of crap - they're "penalizing your account status"....what ever. Hey, at least you gave it a shot.
                            I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I figured a little clip was no big deal. I'm just curious how they found it... the FX watermark? the justified word in the file name? I didn't tag it or anything like that. I was gonna rename it and try to crop out the FX and try again but figured it wasn't worth the hassle... people can watch the show if they want to see it.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I figured a little clip was no big deal. I'm just curious how they found it... the FX watermark? the justified word in the file name? I didn't tag it or anything like that. I was gonna rename it and try to crop out the FX and try again but figured it wasn't worth the hassle... people can watch the show if they want to see it.
                              It's a conspiracy I say!!! Ford could probably tell you who's behind it all

Comment

Working...