X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    This all seems like some sort of mystical Star Wars saga... what will the surviving aged Jedi masters do to restore justice to the Republic... will the son rise to his father's greatness and bring the evil Sith lord Hagar's rule to an end..?

All this pinned on some form of Hope... for the vaults to set be free to the Galaxy...

Meanwhile, back in Pasadena...

I believe this interview took place a few months before Ed's passing. So Alex's motivations and aspirations may shift significantly with his brother gone. Back to the "Hope" element...

If WB can present a compelling sell on their vault material to the Van Halens... there could be classic live show material making it's way out of storage, plus some of the scraps from the recording sessions pre-1985. There is a compilation release that's pretty much ready to go that got shelved a few years ago based on the Sunset Studio blogs.

If someone organizes a tribute concert for Ed this year and they get Alex & Wolf on-board that could be a catalyst for the VH's to get motivated in sharing the genius of Ed's work and legacy... that's a stretch with a low probability factor.

If Wolfgang comes to the realization that a large part of his interest base and success is tied to his father's legacy and global popularity. A vault release followed by his solo work could be the fuel to launch a life long career in music. That concept shits on the "highly principled" industry cred of not cash grabbing off of his father's death... but he's living in the real world, right now and at some point has to fuel his career.

Final thought... Alex passes away, his kids and wife inherit his interests. They have none of the high falutin musician cred bullshit motivating them and chose to share their dad/husband's legacy. The vaults get opened and the releases flow... or the attorneys get called and the battles follow.

Then there's the tale of Obi Wan Roth... in a galaxy far, far away...

Oh, to be sure, it seemed foolish on the face of it for the Van Halens NOT to put out a dvd of the glory days/CVH years. Fuck me as to why that never came to pass. Especially when Eddie was slapping his EVH Franky logo on everything from guitars to shoelaces.

I'm not saying I wasn't hoping for such a release.

It's just like...much like, say, Mike Anthony rejoining the band for a final CVH tour...the rumors of that potential scenario started breaking in late 2018. Then, after Ed passed away, Mike confirmed that he was approached with such a scenario around that time that the rumors were breaking. For me, problem was by 2018...really didn't matter much to me anymore if CVH reunited. As a fan, just too much time frittered away...it's been a lot of years since 1996, you know?

Like, so much time wasted that people aren't even buying dvds anymore: there's so much free live cvh bootleg stuff out there just on youtube alone...

Doubtless, one imagines the remaining Van Halens, Roth and Anthony probably have some stuff in their private stash nobody has seen yet. Doesn't do me any good if that stuff remains unreleased in terms of merely knowing it exists.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

There never seems to be much to chew on coming out of these interviews. I wish someone would ask Alex if he ever took the time to listen to any Roth solo stuff. Any songs he would have liked to have played on? What did he think of Bissonette? What did he think of Vai compared to Ed?
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
        There never seems to be much to chew on coming out of these interviews. I wish someone would ask Alex if he ever took the time to listen to any Roth solo stuff. Any songs he would have liked to have played on? What did he think of Bissonette? What did he think of Vai compared to Ed?
        I'm pretty sure he thinks it's funny Dave had to get a keyboard player to fill up all the empty space Vai left by not being able to play rhythm and lead, like Ed.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
          I'm pretty sure he thinks it's funny Dave had to get a keyboard player to fill up all the empty space Vai left by not being able to play rhythm and lead, like Ed.
          And just having a weird tone. I acknowledge that Vai is a great player, but can't sometimes I can't stand what sounds to me like a pithy. wanky tone...

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
            Veteran
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
            No doubt Von!
            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

Working...