X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by NIN1211

Recent picture from the tool shed..wtf is wrong with this guy? Nonetheless, if you don't like VH 2012, go see the foot at a half sold out theater near you. I would take Dave in a wheelchair with a speech impediment and a touch of Alzheimer's over 99 percent of the "front-men" out there. If you don't like it, then why take the time to come here and talk shit. get a hobby dude.
    Sam looks like his ass is burning from being ass fucked too much and hot sauce infused ass juice has seeped into the torn rectum tissue. Metal mouth must be his homo flavor of the week lover.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Carmine
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by loucap81
      I don't feel like starting a new thread on this issue, so posting it in this one will have to suffice. Here are the aspects of Dave that are getting criticized and I'd like to give you my two cents.

1) Dave's moves on stage. Off as far as the on-stage moving around goes, is the show really any less of a show without jumping splits off the drum-risers? I think Dave's being smart about things in that regard and I admire he's still able to do what he does up there. I can't do that stuff and I'm 26 years younger than he is. And if he wants to dance and slide on that linoleum floor or whatever it is, he can dance the night away all he wants. Perfectly cool, and screw anyone who criticizes him for THAT of all things. How many frontmen of any age still care to do stuff like that to entertain their fans, not many.

2a) Ad-libs, talking, etc. during songs. I'm cool with the ad-libs, as long as he's not actively upstaging Eddie. Early in the tour, he just kept rambling during the songs and he wasn't letting things breathe. It was annoying, especially when he kept talking over Eddie's solos. But he toned it down and found a happy medium. I thought he was outstanding in Greensboro. LOVED what he did during Everybody Wants Some. And the Dance The Night Away moment where he had the camera put on the little girl was priceless. Only Dave comes up with stuff like that. Only Dave cares enough about making each show a party amongst friends to do stuff like that.

2b) Forgetting the words to the songs. Well, he's always done that. Now some nights like Atlantic City it got to be excessive and wearing. He definitely was all over the place that night. They also shouldn't have done Hang 'em High in Boston if he had to literally read the lyrics off the drum riser. Now a couple screw-ups, whatever. People have theorized that he just loses his place easily and that sounds plausible to me. At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal. It's live music, he has the balls and the ego NOT to want the aid of a teleprompter, which I respect, and as an avid listener of all the old concert recordings, I'm just kinda used to it. I don't think this is an issue of not giving it his all, he just doesn't have a superior memory for lyrics.

3) Dave's vocal cords. The real elephant in the room. I'm concerned more than anything else. In 2007-08, his voice was great. Many people believe it's the best he has ever sounded, and that's saying a lot. His voice was powerful, strong, he was nailing all the notes, and given Eddie's drug/alcohol problems and Wolf's green-ness, he was the star, the alpha and omega of that tour. But it's obvious that something happened between 2008 and 2012. What could it be, anyone have any ideas? It's not like he did any touring in that four year time. I hate to see singers lose their voice like that, and I'm sure he's not happy about it either. I hope it's something correctable and that that's the reason for the postponement. But can you get back to where you were after surgery? Guys like Doc Rivers of the Celtics have had vocal cord surgery for all the shouting they have to do as a coach, yet I still don't think his voice sounds very good. Maybe it's just some kind of long-term infection that's taking forever to go away?

So to the OP, I'm sorry you're unhappy with the current tour. It's not perfect, but the clock isn't going to be turned back either. I still challenge you, however, to find me a legacy band that puts on a better facsimile of the glory days. As long as Eddie stays clean (and thank God he has this tour) there ain't many, if any. How do you not get chills when they do improvised jams such as the one during Unchained that they're doing now? How do you not see that no one, not even his son Wolf, can bring the fury out of Eddie the way Dave does? No band on earth can top that combustion, that magic when Dave and Ed are on the same stage. Even in its 2012 state, that magic still holds power over me, still makes me weak like a woman who you know is flawed, can make life miserable at times, but at the same time you just can't get her out of your head and you fall for her every single time she comes knocking on your door. That's Van Halen, the only band in the history of music that has cast a spell on me like that. As long as everyone's clean, as long as they're working their asses off and giving it everything they have, I don't see myself ever breaking free of that spell. VH is most definitely NOT over for me.
      Yeah....what Lou said!

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

I don't feel like starting a new thread on this issue, so posting it in this one will have to suffice. Here are the aspects of Dave that are getting criticized and I'd like to give you my two cents.

1) Dave's moves on stage. Off as far as the on-stage moving around goes, is the show really any less of a show without jumping splits off the drum-risers? I think Dave's being smart about things in that regard and I admire he's still able to do what he does up there. I can't do that stuff and I'm 26 years younger than he is. And if he wants to dance and slide on that linoleum floor or whatever it is, he can dance the night away all he wants. Perfectly cool, and screw anyone who criticizes him for THAT of all things. How many frontmen of any age still care to do stuff like that to entertain their fans, not many.

2a) Ad-libs, talking, etc. during songs. I'm cool with the ad-libs, as long as he's not actively upstaging Eddie. Early in the tour, he just kept rambling during the songs and he wasn't letting things breathe. It was annoying, especially when he kept talking over Eddie's solos. But he toned it down and found a happy medium. I thought he was outstanding in Greensboro. LOVED what he did during Everybody Wants Some. And the Dance The Night Away moment where he had the camera put on the little girl was priceless. Only Dave comes up with stuff like that. Only Dave cares enough about making each show a party amongst friends to do stuff like that.

2b) Forgetting the words to the songs. Well, he's always done that. Now some nights like Atlantic City it got to be excessive and wearing. He definitely was all over the place that night. They also shouldn't have done Hang 'em High in Boston if he had to literally read the lyrics off the drum riser. Now a couple screw-ups, whatever. People have theorized that he just loses his place easily and that sounds plausible to me. At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal. It's live music, he has the balls and the ego NOT to want the aid of a teleprompter, which I respect, and as an avid listener of all the old concert recordings, I'm just kinda used to it. I don't think this is an issue of not giving it his all, he just doesn't have a superior memory for lyrics.

3) Dave's vocal cords. The real elephant in the room. I'm concerned more than anything else. In 2007-08, his voice was great. Many people believe it's the best he has ever sounded, and that's saying a lot. His voice was powerful, strong, he was nailing all the notes, and given Eddie's drug/alcohol problems and Wolf's green-ness, he was the star, the alpha and omega of that tour. But it's obvious that something happened between 2008 and 2012. What could it be, anyone have any ideas? It's not like he did any touring in that four year time. I hate to see singers lose their voice like that, and I'm sure he's not happy about it either. I hope it's something correctable and that that's the reason for the postponement. But can you get back to where you were after surgery? Guys like Doc Rivers of the Celtics have had vocal cord surgery for all the shouting they have to do as a coach, yet I still don't think his voice sounds very good. Maybe it's just some kind of long-term infection that's taking forever to go away?

So to the OP, I'm sorry you're unhappy with the current tour. It's not perfect, but the clock isn't going to be turned back either. I still challenge you, however, to find me a legacy band that puts on a better facsimile of the glory days. As long as Eddie stays clean (and thank God he has this tour) there ain't many, if any. How do you not get chills when they do improvised jams such as the one during Unchained that they're doing now? How do you not see that no one, not even his son Wolf, can bring the fury out of Eddie the way Dave does? No band on earth can top that combustion, that magic when Dave and Ed are on the same stage. Even in its 2012 state, that magic still holds power over me, still makes me weak like a woman who you know is flawed, can make life miserable at times, but at the same time you just can't get her out of your head and you fall for her every single time she comes knocking on your door. That's Van Halen, the only band in the history of music that has cast a spell on me like that. As long as everyone's clean, as long as they're working their asses off and giving it everything they have, I don't see myself ever breaking free of that spell. VH is most definitely NOT over for me.
        great post
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

I am one of the very few that saw Daves stint in Las Vegas / Ballys. Opening show...opening night. I gotta scan the stub to post here. Just happened to be in Vegas the week he started & had to see it.

His on stage dances were extremely similar to what he is doing now so it isn't really shocking me or standing out that much. Dave does what makes Dave happy. He just invites us for the ride along.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I know a lot can be done in the studio these days but if something did go wrong with his voice between tours, they did a hell of a job hiding it on the album which is his best studio performance in how many years? 18?

Also Lou to give your post even more credence I think you should share how many gigs in the last 2 tours you have been to, I'm guessing it's more than anyone else here(you nutter ).

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              I know a lot can be done in the studio these days but if something did go wrong with his voice between tours, they did a hell of a job hiding it on the album which is his best studio performance in how many years? 18?

Also Lou to give your post even more credence I think you should share how many gigs in the last 2 tours you have been to, I'm guessing it's more than anyone else here(you nutter ).
              "it" happened between café wha? and the warm up gig at Henson's
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

Wolfsbane: "I can't dance... I'm thinking..."

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• SparkieD
                  Veteran
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by binnie
                  Wolfsbane are still mighty in my book.
                  You know how deep my love is for Wolfsbane, but come the fuck on, Dude. You have to admit that it is utterly hilarious that someone with that screen name (assuming he is referencing the band) can piss and moan that DLR isn't moving like he used to. Yes, Dave is not exactly like he used to be, but he's making it work a hell of a lot better than any other guy pushing 60 I can think of. He's still moving like a mofo and at least he cares about his appearance. At least he didn't become a drunken overweight slob and still croon wildly about getting it on with anyone who will let him.
                  Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                  Originally posted by rustoffa
                  Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• BumBahDeeDah
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Mar 2004

The smile is wacky on youtube but never seems to be anything woth notocing in a negative way during a show.

Comment

• Angel
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BumBahDeeDah
                      The smile is wacky on youtube but never seems to be anything woth notocing in a negative way during a show.
                      That wacky smile makes me grin just thinking about it. I think it's incredible being able to witness somebody in their element.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
                      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                        And when Van Halen is Al, Ed and Wolfie...then what?
                        A VH instrumental album wouldn't be such a terrible thing...
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Jack68
                          Commando
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          A VH instrumental album wouldn't be such a terrible thing...
                          Id buy it.Lottsa musical possibilities there.
                          "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

I'd steal it off the net...

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              I'd steal it off the net...then piss and moan about it in every thread

fixed that for you

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                                fixed that for you
                                You need to learn how to live with your glass half full and stop seeing only the negative aspects of your pitiful existence...

Comment

Working...