Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I don’t think Al is going to shit on anyone. I think the book will be focused on his and Ed’s life story. I think he’s more interested in doing that than slinging dirt.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

In the 1800’s Sam would be riding around in a wagon selling snake oil. He probably would have ended up being hung or shot.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        I don’t think Al is going to shit on anyone. I think the book will be focused on his and Ed’s life story. I think he’s more interested in doing that than slinging dirt.

I wouldn't want the book to be a hatchet job or merely slinging dirt.

Can't say it'll be of interest to me if it's just a puff piece, though.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• MasonL
          Groupie
          • May 2022

The big question I have is: can Alex even write? Is that something he is even remotely capable of?

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MasonL
            The big question I have is: can Alex even write? Is that something he is even remotely capable of?
            I don't think Alex is retarded...I tend to doubt Alex physically wrote anything in terms of the book. He probably told his stories to a writer (who may or may not be credited in print), and said writer typed them up or voice dictated them or whatever. Like, I don't think Alex was physically sitting at a laptop hunting and pecking and actually writing his stories or whatever.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

To be fair Roth is clearly very smart but also used a ghost writer.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

I think Dave said something about how he walked around and talked into a tape recorder or a Dictaphone or whatever, then Roth gave the tapes to the person writing the CFTH book. which is why when you read CFTH it came across on the page like Dave was talking to you one-on-one.

Honestly, the only times I've heard Alex talk that I can recall are when Van Hagar did that MTV special in 1986, along with Ed and Al being interviewed in 1996 for MTV post-VMAs answering what was happening with the group and there was a supplemental dvd that came out with ADKOT that had a couple of interview segments with Ed, Dave and Al. In 4 and 1/2 decades of liking the band, I can't think of a single verbatim quote from Alex that was interesting let alone memorable. Thus, I kinda actually hope the person Alex wrote the book with - ghostwriter or credited - has the ability for a clever turn of phrase, because so far Alex hasn't exhibited anything that makes me think he has an innate ability re: clever turn of phrase, even just in verbal terms (let alone print).

Maybe the book will have a lot of never-before-seen photos from Alex's private collection and some tales about Eddie and/or others in Van Halen that we haven't heard before...maybe Al will fess up to the truth of the rumors that Dave fucked his wife.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah I agree maybe the big job on Dave's book was the editing.

I'm not sure either of the Van Halen brothers were any great loss to rocket science when they became rock musicians to be honest and that's probably part of why they were so much better than any of us could ever be. Alex I think was clearly the smarter of the brothers.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    I wouldn't want the book to be a hatchet job or merely slinging dirt.

Can't say it'll be of interest to me if it's just a puff piece, though.
                    I don’t think it’s Al’s personality to slag former band members. Al and Ed always viewed themselves as musicians and they had pride that they were following in their father’s footsteps. The book will be honoring the family legacy.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Watch it turn out that Greg Renoff is working with him like he did with Ted Templeman. That wouldn’t be a bad move.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Speaking of Greg, was anyone here aware, before reading Van Halen Rising, that Ed nearly OD’ed at the Golden West Ballroom in ‘76? Pretty sure Al was instrumental in saving his kid brother’s ass. Wonder if that’ll come up in his book.

Comment

• Catfish
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Yeah I agree maybe the big job on Dave's book was the editing.

I'm not sure either of the Van Halen brothers were any great loss to rocket science when they became rock musicians to be honest and that's probably part of why they were so much better than any of us could ever be. Alex I think was clearly the smarter of the brothers.
                          In DLR's book he credits Paul Scanlon for editing it down from 1,200 pages (to 359).

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            I'm guessing Hagar is shitting his pants right now...
                            although that in and of itself might have nothing to do with the book...
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              although that in and of itself might have nothing to do with the book...
                              I think it was to do with the tacos at the Cabo Wabo. I bet they make you ass blast so hard it feels like the toilet bowl is going to blow apart.

Comment

• Silexxx
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Sep 2010

New details about the book. Basically it's Alex's tribute to his late brother.

Comment

Working...