X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    So Alex gives Brian May his blessing and won't talk to Sam. Ha! Ha! Sam is the biggest attention whore who was ever in Van Halen. He doesn't want to do a tribute to Ed for Ed. It's all about drawing a big audience for Sam. Then he will go on every platform he can saying how great it was and Cabo this and Wabo that and Santo Maui blah blah blah.
    Brian May didn't need Alex's blessings to "remaster" this album. It was a Brian May solo project from the beginning and he owns all rights to the material. Alex didn't have any more say in this one that if Michael Jackson's relatives had 8 different remixes of "Beat It" with 8 different Eddie solos and were planning to include them all on the 40th anniversary remaster of "Thriller" . (Not saying any such plans exist, but that would be a comparable situation)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      Brian May didn't need Alex's blessings to "remaster" this album. It was a Brian May solo project from the beginning and he owns all rights to the material. Alex didn't have any more say in this one that if Michael Jackson's relatives had 8 different remixes of "Beat It" with 8 different Eddie solos and were planning to include them all on the 40th anniversary remaster of "Thriller" . (Not saying any such plans exist, but that would be a comparable situation)
      Brain had the courtesy to ask Alex if it was ok to re-release the Star Fleet project and Alex said go ahead. Alex has no legal standing but Brian May is a class act and asked because he knew Alex was having a tough go losing Ed and was very protective of his brother’s image. Also Brian and Alex are friends so he wasn’t cold calling.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Doing an Eddie Van Halen tribute this late would be stupid. The family aren’t interested and only a low life like Sammy would push having one.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Listen to Star Fleet before buying. It's not that great.
          Wrong again. I still have the original album I bought way back when, and I pretty much wore it out. I am very pleased with this new release, and am working on wearing it out too!

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Brain had the courtesy to ask Alex if it was ok to re-release the Star Fleet project and Alex said go ahead. Alex has no legal standing but Brian May is a class act and asked because he knew Alex was having a tough go losing Ed and was very protective of his brother’s image. Also Brian and Alex are friends so he wasn’t cold calling.
            Agreed that May asked Alex out of a general sense of decency. It was courteous and also useful to know what Alex's feelings were beforehand vs. releasing it and finding out afterward that Alex would have preferred it not be re-released which - legal standings to one side - would have cast a pall over it. Not that I'd imagine Alex would have had many misgivings about it being re-released since it was already released once and was already available free online...it wasn't like some EVH-related recordings that had sat in the can for 40 years and someone had looted it from 5150.

May has always come off as a decent and courteous guy publicly.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Doing an Eddie Van Halen tribute this late would be stupid. The family aren’t interested and only a low life like Sammy would push having one.
              It's been...what...coming up on three years since Eddie passed?

A live tribute now does seem a bit late. I guess there was some interest from Alex and Dave with that whole Satriani and Newstead thing but that ultimately fizzled out. Maybe some people would have liked to have seen that. I personally wouldn't. Do a live dvd release - or video footage people can stream via purchase or rental - of whatever CVH material is kicking around be it in Dave's/Alex's/Mike's collections...material that either hasn't been seen before or stuff bootlegged for decades that is professionally restored. Pay tribute to Eddie that way rather than trying to pay tribute by having someone else play Ed's licks; the real deal as opposed to someone imitating.

But, yeah, the Van Halens and Dave (and this is an old story) can't seem to get anything together for whatever reasons. Far as a live tribute now, maybe that's for the best anyway.

Hagar would doubtless be up for whatever. But what would be worth hearing from Hagar, Mike and Alex and some other guitar player who isn't Eddie? Drag some Eddie noodlings out of the unreleased recordings at 5150 and have the others try and construct a 'new' song a la The Beatles with Free As A Bird and Real Love in the mid-1990s? I'm sure there are some diehard Eddie fans who would like that...can't say as I would. At least if Alex opts to do nothing Van Halen won't end up like Lynyrd Skynyrd and start picking at the corpse.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                Wrong again. I still have the original album I bought way back when, and I pretty much wore it out. I am very pleased with this new release, and am working on wearing it out too!
                Eric Clapton thought it sucked. I listened to it and the album got tucked away in the bat cave never to be listened to again.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry

A live tribute now does seem a bit late. I guess there was some interest from Alex and Dave with that whole Satriani and Newstead thing but that ultimately fizzled out. Maybe some people would have liked to have seen that. I personally wouldn't. Do a live dvd release - or video footage people can stream via purchase or rental - of whatever CVH material is kicking around be it in Dave's/Alex's/Mike's collections...material that either hasn't been seen before or stuff bootlegged for decades that is professionally restored. Pay tribute to Eddie that way rather than trying to pay tribute by having someone else play Ed's licks; the real deal as opposed to someone imitating.

But, yeah, the Van Halens and Dave (and this is an old story) can't seem to get anything together for whatever reasons. Far as a live tribute now, maybe that's for the best anyway.

Hagar would doubtless be up for whatever. But what would be worth hearing from Hagar, Mike and Alex and some other guitar player who isn't Eddie? Drag some Eddie noodlings out of the unreleased recordings at 5150 and have the others try and construct a 'new' song a la The Beatles with Free As A Bird and Real Love in the mid-1990s? I'm sure there are some diehard Eddie fans who would like that...can't say as I would. At least if Alex opts to do nothing Van Halen won't end up like Lynyrd Skynyrd and start picking at the corpse.
                  Ed gets the last laugh. He’s finally where the mother fuckers can’t get at him. Enjoy the peace and solitude Eddie!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry

A live tribute now does seem a bit late. I guess there was some interest from Alex and Dave with that whole Satriani and Newstead thing but that ultimately fizzled out.
                    I think Roth wouldn't get involved if Hagar is which is one issue. I back him 100% on that. It does seem like Mike Anthony isn't a problem for AVH now if he ever was and we know despite some of the asshole swipes over the years 'perfect' MA has made at Roth, Dave either doesn't care or doesn't know about them and has no issue. So that just leaves Dave and/or Alex don't want to do it and I'm fine with that.

The last Van Halen show was the one at the Hollywood Bowl and it was a good one from everyone and it's available to watch on YouTube. I'm not sure how 8(fuck already!?) years on not having Ed but having Anthony and Satriani or whoever on guitar is going to be a more fitting legacy. Missing MA is a niggle but when this website was set up it back in the day it would have been a pipe dream that in 2015 the most important 3/4s of Van Halen would be playing that setilst and for all Wolfgangs faults I seriously doubt without him they would have been opening with LUTS a fan favorite I know Ray Luzier et al tried to get Dave to resurrect 20 years ago.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-17-2023, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eric Clapton thought it sucked. I listened to it and the album got tucked away in the bat cave never to be listened to again.
                      Eric Clapton thought his unplugged version of "Layla" was better than the original, so his judgment isn't always the best. Not to mention his ridiculous take on vaccines.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The only thing Clapton has been involved with I liked was the outro to Layla in Goodfellas.

Pretty sure he had very little to do with that anyway. People I like say he is/was good but I never got it and he has said and done some real asshole things over the years.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Eric Clapton thought his unplugged version of "Layla" was better than the original, so his judgment isn't always the best. Not to mention his ridiculous take on vaccines.
                          It as an impromptu jam session. There’s nothing that good on it. I see it the same way Eric did. I frankly don’t know what the big deal about it is. If Eddie wasn’t on it nobody would give a damn.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            The only thing Clapton has been involved with I liked was the outro to Layla in Goodfellas.

Pretty sure he had very little to do with that anyway. People I like say he is/was good but I never got it and he has said and done some real asshole things over the years.
                            He was God decades ago but I think people just don’t like him because they didn’t like what he said about some things. All a sudden he is not qualified to judge some music. Anyways if you want to make Brian May laugh to the bank be my guest.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

It as an impromptu jam session.
                              A great impromptu jam session.

There’s nothing that good on it.
                              It was good enough to get released in the first place, and good enough to get a re-release.

I see it the same way Eric did.
                              Two opinions that matter.

If Eddie wasn’t on it nobody would give a damn.
                              But Ed is on it.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

What's the difference between a bag of cocaine and a 4 year old?

Clapton wouldn't let a bag of cocaine fall out a window.

Comment

Working...