X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    I wouldn't waste too many worry cycles over this... AI isn't smart enough to do anything on it's own without a human showing it how.

Sex robots won't be replacing the real thing any time soon... can you imagine the cost of battery replacements in one of those things..?

If you bruise like a peach though... you may want to stay out of Roth's garden. Ole Russ may make a meal out of you...
    Honestly, I wouldn't even want to meet Roth these days, much less break onto his property...or mow his lawn and get bit by his dog.

While I'm sure it would have been an experience hanging out with Dave thirty-odd years ago, I think the novelty of hanging out with him now would wear off as quickly as it took him to laugh at one of his own jokes...which is to say, pretty damn quick: for the last twenty years, he has come off more and more like a progressively looney, aging, eccentric loner.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Not buying it. If Roth was signing autographs near where you live you would head right down. Most of us would and there is nothing wrong with that. Last time I was in LA I drove over to Orange Grove there in Pasadena just to check his house out and I went over to Las Lunas just to check out the old Van Halen house. I grew up on their music. Those were the places a lot of the songs I was listening to were written. Of course you don't try and scale Dave's wall or pester the people currently living in Eddie and Alex's old house. It's just visiting some places where history was made and we all do that.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        I wouldn't waste too many worry cycles over this... AI isn't smart enough to do anything on it's own without a human showing it how.

Sex robots won't be replacing the real thing any time soon... can you imagine the cost of battery replacements in one of those things..?

If you bruise like a peach though... you may want to stay out of Roth's garden. Ole Russ may make a meal out of you...
        The only people who are going to bang sex robots are the people who never could get a real woman to begin with. They are apparently popular with people who never could afford a decent call girl. They can bang Barbie instead of some old saggy ho who was ridden hard and put away wet.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          The only people who are going to bang sex robots are the people who never could get a real woman to begin with. They are apparently popular with people who never could afford a decent call girl. They can bang Barbie instead of some old saggy ho who was ridden hard and put away wet.
          Look, I've had a real woman, and I've ALWAYS had enough money in the bank to afford a decent call girl...

You WERE referring to me, right?
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Not buying it. If Roth was signing autographs near where you live you would head right down. Most of us would and there is nothing wrong with that. Last time I was in LA I drove over to Orange Grove there in Pasadena just to check his house out and I went over to Las Lunas just to check out the old Van Halen house. I grew up on their music. Those were the places a lot of the songs I was listening to were written. Of course you don't try and scale Dave's wall or pester the people currently living in Eddie and Alex's old house. It's just visiting some places where history was made and we all do that.

Shit, when Van Halen were peaking in the early 1980s, I thought Roth was da bom, yo! Is still right up there in terms of the great rock front men in my book. One of the better performers, great interview subject back in the day. High energy, positive vibe. Plus, because of my age, he wasn't a guy who had already come and gone like The Beatles, or had already peaked like The Rolling Stones, or disbanded like Led Zeppelin, or was plodding along post-apex like the Moonless Who, or had went to disco route like KISS. And back then I was still young enough to sort of buy into the rock star myths and images.

Still enjoyed his performances even through the...um, let us say 'wilderness years' post-1996 debacle. Saw him in 1999, 2002, 2005, 2006. Did great in 2007. Not so hot in 2012. By the time 2015 rolled around, he was done. I couldn't be bothered even seeing the band in 2015, and the venue was less than 10 miles from my house, the ticket prices weren't expensive and it was on a night that would have been totally convenient to go.

Also, it ties into something I remembered from the few brief celebrity encounters I've had either at record store signings or random, chance encounters at airports which is coupled by something Eddie Trunk (of all people) recently said, in that most rock stars don't particularly want to meet their fans. The flip side being that the few celebrity encounters I have had weren't anything particularly special...none of them. As well as to be expected, really, because these people are all...people. And it's foolish to think otherwise, although with America and the cult of celebrity clearly plenty of people do.

I'd agree there's nothing wrong with getting an autograph, but I have no particular reason to want an autograph from Roth at this point: if I can't be bothered to go see him perform anymore, his signature on a slip of paper doesn't have much of anything by way of meaning for me, even if he's signing it right in front of me.

STILL one of the all time rock front men greats in my book, though. Always will be. This is also to be expected, homoerotic parents basement dwelling middle aged wanna be rock star failure that I am.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              Look, I've had a real woman, and I've ALWAYS had enough money in the bank to afford a decent call girl...

You WERE referring to me, right?
              Haha! No.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Who needs sex dolls when you have vodka? May all of your fantasy girls piss the bed in your drunken dreams. If you want something wet and fishy smelling, have some caviar. Russian collusion? Absolutely!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've never had much motivation to seek out and see celebrity homes and never sought an autograph, ever... in most cases they're just unremarkable structures where daily life occurred. When I have, it was boring as hell and a waste of time going there.

As historic houses go there were 2 exceptions for me based on the vibe I felt being there... Ulysses S. Grant's home in Galena, Illinois is relatively plain and extremely devoid of much fancy adornments or interesting architecture. But the building and property layout projected a strong sense of simplistic order in it's design elements. Also a lot of dark energy there.

Graceland was another... from a distance it appears larger than life and packed full of grandeur. Once inside it felt tiny, cramped and almost claustrophobic. It's got a really weird blend of tacky decor while also combined with normal crap you see in a home of that time. It's a really strange contradictory blend of weirdness... The end of the tour puts you in a garden where Elvis is buried. All I can say is it had a strange energy that made me want to leave and never return.
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I thought George Washington's estate at Mount Vernon was interesting. They are still making whiskey there. Jefferson's Montecello is interesting as well. I found the Rockefeller estate in Kyquit quite bizarre. Hearst Castle is an interesting former private estate. The top private home is the Winchester mystery house in San Jose, CA. Sarah Winchester was a builder's dream.

Comment

Working...