Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official August 7 Toronto, ON, Molson Canadian Amphitheatre Meetup/Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking the newspaper sites, don't see any reviews.
    WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Romeo Delight View Post
      A funny part of the show occurred when Dave couldn't find his mike stand at the beginning of Beautiful Girls...he had the mic but not the stand but decided not to sing until he had both...the band looked around confused.

Dave ended up telling the band he was going to start from the beginning and he actually did really well with it I thought.
      I remember that, I was on the lawn, so I wasn't really sure what happened.....They had the 2 tv screens on the left and right, but they weren't very big, but I didn't care, you could feel the music in your bones.....
      Last edited by Full Bug; 08-08-2015, 09:33 AM.
      Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• David Lee Roth ruins Van Halen's vibe in Toronto

BY JOHN WILLIAMS, POSTMEDIA NETWORK
        FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, AUGUST 08, 2015 09:06 AM EDT | UPDATED: SATURDAY, AUGUST 08, 2015 09:16 AM EDT

Artist: Van Halen

TORONTO - "Hey Eddie, can you see if Sammy Hagar is still available?"

After Friday night's two-hour performance by the David Lee Roth-led Van Halen at the sold-out Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto, some may be asking that very question that I just posed.

And, really, it's damn shame. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen has clearly got his mojo back - he's playing, sounding and looking better than he ever has - it's really a testament to a man who is focused on keeping the demons of his past in the past, and he’s clearly fallen in love with music again - you can see it on the glowing smile on his face.

No, we're definitely not referring to him. Nor his son/bassist Wolfgang (even though yours truly has a soft spot for former bassist Michael Anthony), or to trustworthy backstopper Alex Van Halen.

We're looking straight at you, Diamond Dave.

Singer Roth seems to be eyeing a career in old Las Vegas, what with all his wardrobe changes right in the middle of the show (which included a body shirt with tattoos adorned on it - so badass!), the way he struts around in a slow-paced fashion, or how he expects a response from the crowd every time he smiles at them.

And let's be realistic. We weren't expecting the same leg kicks from yesteryear (and he thankfully left the spandex pants at home), nor were we waiting for the high-pitched "Wooooos!" and "Ohhhs!" We were, however, hoping for more than a half-assed lounge singer. And an excruciatingly bad one at that. This cannot be the same guy who made caterwauling and being a rock frontman an art form.

Roth spent a good chunk of the time talking – or sometimes mumbling -through a lot of Van Halen staples on this night, including Runnin' With the Devil, Everybody Wants Some!!, Hot For Teacher, Panama and their 1981 classic, Unchained – which was barely recognizable.

I mean, even Eddie Van Halen has admitted that Roth is the guy that fans want to see, but at least on this night, those in attendance may be rethinking that standard party line.

And any notion that Eddie Van Halen and Roth don't get along (as mentioned in the revealing EVH/Billboard interview from a few months back), was dispelled early on, with the two interacting frequently, whether it was smiling at each other while sharing the same microphone or gleefully admiring one another from the either end of the stage. Or perhaps they are both just supreme professionals, and it's no different than you and I being mildly affable with an extremely annoying co-worker.

The group is smack dab in the middle of an ambitious 40-date tour which runs into October. Given the band's tumultuous history, one wouldn't be too far off in thinking that it may not have gotten to this point. But it has.

Roth’s night wasn’t a complete disaster. He showed shades of his old voice on tracks like Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love, Hot For Teacher and a stellar version of Little Guitars, with EVH lighting up the crowd with some sizzling guitar work and backing vocals.

Opening for VH was axeman Kenny Wayne Shepherd, whose backing band seemed bored of the proceedings, and who could blame them. Most of the tunes were just one giant set-up for his long, meandering guitar solos that left the smattering of people in attendance heading for the concession stands.

Twitter: @johnwillms

Email: john.williams@sunmedia.ca
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Before the show, I was by myself, so I had the guy sitting next to me take a pic....
          Attached Files
          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• I don;t know who that douche JOHN WILLIAMS is, but everyone kicked ass....
            As far as Dave goes, I actually noticed he didn't talk as much during the show as he sometimes does.....

Comment

• It was a great show! :-) Fricken awesome to be 12 rows from the stage centre :-) Would love to go again soon :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
                http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/08...ibe-in-toronto

David Lee Roth ruins Van Halen's vibe in Toronto

FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, AUGUST 08, 2015 09:06 AM EDT | UPDATED: SATURDAY, AUGUST 08, 2015 09:16 AM EDT

After Friday night's two-hour performance by the David Lee Roth-led Van Halen at the sold-out Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto, some may be asking that very question that I just posed.

And, really, it's damn shame. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen has clearly got his mojo back - he's playing, sounding and looking better than he ever has - it's really a testament to a man who is focused on keeping the demons of his past in the past, and he’s clearly fallen in love with music again - you can see it on the glowing smile on his face.

No, we're definitely not referring to him. Nor his son/bassist Wolfgang (even though yours truly has a soft spot for former bassist Michael Anthony), or to trustworthy backstopper Alex Van Halen.

We're looking straight at you, Diamond Dave.

Singer Roth seems to be eyeing a career in old Las Vegas, what with all his wardrobe changes right in the middle of the show (which included a body shirt with tattoos adorned on it - so badass!), the way he struts around in a slow-paced fashion, or how he expects a response from the crowd every time he smiles at them.

And let's be realistic. We weren't expecting the same leg kicks from yesteryear (and he thankfully left the spandex pants at home), nor were we waiting for the high-pitched "Wooooos!" and "Ohhhs!" We were, however, hoping for more than a half-assed lounge singer. And an excruciatingly bad one at that. This cannot be the same guy who made caterwauling and being a rock frontman an art form.

Roth spent a good chunk of the time talking – or sometimes mumbling -through a lot of Van Halen staples on this night, including Runnin' With the Devil, Everybody Wants Some!!, Hot For Teacher, Panama and their 1981 classic, Unchained – which was barely recognizable.

I mean, even Eddie Van Halen has admitted that Roth is the guy that fans want to see, but at least on this night, those in attendance may be rethinking that standard party line.

And any notion that Eddie Van Halen and Roth don't get along (as mentioned in the revealing EVH/Billboard interview from a few months back), was dispelled early on, with the two interacting frequently, whether it was smiling at each other while sharing the same microphone or gleefully admiring one another from the either end of the stage. Or perhaps they are both just supreme professionals, and it's no different than you and I being mildly affable with an extremely annoying co-worker.

The group is smack dab in the middle of an ambitious 40-date tour which runs into October. Given the band's tumultuous history, one wouldn't be too far off in thinking that it may not have gotten to this point. But it has.

Roth’s night wasn’t a complete disaster. He showed shades of his old voice on tracks like Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love, Hot For Teacher and a stellar version of Little Guitars, with EVH lighting up the crowd with some sizzling guitar work and backing vocals.

Opening for VH was axeman Kenny Wayne Shepherd, whose backing band seemed bored of the proceedings, and who could blame them. Most of the tunes were just one giant set-up for his long, meandering guitar solos that left the smattering of people in attendance heading for the concession stands.

Twitter: @johnwillms

He's a sheep.

We should hammer his Twitter account.

@johnwillms
                WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Full Bug View Post
                  I don;t know who that douche JOHN WILLIAMS is, but everyone kicked ass....
                  As far as Dave goes, I actually noticed he didn't talk as much during the show as he sometimes does.....
                  You're absolutely right here. I think we should all turn up at his office and beat the piss out of him. I'm critical but there's no way anything negative could be directed towards Dave last night. This guy and the sound guy should be sent to Devils Island for a few years with no hope of escape. . .

Comment

• WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• Originally posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
                      Cool!

Comment

• Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
                        http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/08...ibe-in-toronto

David Lee Roth ruins Van Halen's vibe in Toronto

After Friday night's two-hour performance by the David Lee Roth-led Van Halen at the sold-out Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto, some may be asking that very question.

Singer Roth seems to be eyeing a career in old Las Vegas, what with all his wardrobe changes right in the middle of the show (which included a body shirt with tattoos adorned on it - so badass!)

There are some people in this world who are extremely talented (Van Halen) and then there's a 'critic" writing for the shittiest Toronto newspaper. He probably thinks he's the John Williams that scores major motion pictures. . .

"Body Shirt with Tattoos adorned on it"? . . I may just email this guy and let him know what a hack "journalist" he is.

Comment

• I like the ADKOT songs in the set. In fact, I'd like to see DTNA and I'll Wait eliminated for a couple more off that album. Honeybabysweetiedoll would work! I'd really prefer they eliminate the solo's and fill that time with songs. I'd also prefer Stay Frosty over Ice Cream Man, at this point.

Comment

• "Half-assed lounge singer"? Fuck this guy, Dave was on last night....

Comment

• Originally posted by Von Halen View Post
                              I'd also prefer Stay Frosty over Ice Cream Man, at this point.
                              Agreed, although I do like what he is doing now with the harmonica....

Comment

• WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

Working...
                                X