X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

i don't think kristy liked the show...
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

What an idiot.

With his fresh Japanese tattoos peeking from beneath his sleeveless vest
      Last I checked, a vest doesn't have sleeves. If it did, it would be a jacket or shirt, no?
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
        Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by twonabomber
        What an idiot.

Last I checked, a vest doesn't have sleeves. If it did, it would be a jacket or shirt, no?
        Same kind of assmuncher who didn't realize that, assless chaps, was perhaps one of the goddamned stupidest grouping of words in history. The first person who wrote that should be dug up hung then shot...and it has continued for decades.

I saw the word ,vapid, ( I ran as fast as I could away from the page) in the second paragraph very pathetic word only used by cunts...no I'm wrong wannabe cunts too ultra superior in their writing skills.

Roth On!
        2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
        clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Angel
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
          Angel, if you believe he really went to that show, I have some swamp land I'll sell you.
          Hell no....not unless someone paid all expenses, lol.
          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
            Sniper
            • Apr 2004

Audio is up at Dime, coupled with a pretty shitty review.

Notes: We'd previously seen the mighty Van Halen in 2007 in Chicago, then again in early 2008 in Denver and figured that was all we needed to see with the Dave-led lineup; we skipped their 2012 Denver area performance. But, when they announced the 2015 tour with a stop at Red Rocks, both my wife and I agreed that the venue choice made one more Van Halen performance a necessity for us.

But, the truth is: at $185+ per ticket, I'm not sure that it was worth it. We got rained on the entire trip up to Morrison, and the rain fell all through the opener, Kenny Wayne Shepherd (due to the rain, we didn't try to record him). Fortunately, it stopped just before VH took the stage. But, while they have a lot of great songs, virtually all of them were ruined with mid-song breakdowns where Dave just TALKED. I've read other comments from earlier performances on this tour criticizing him
            for this, but, I didn't realize how seriously this messes up the flow of the show until I saw it for myself. I mean, I will tell you that the band had the crowd eating out of their hands - until the first breakdown during Everybody Wants Some. At first, I thought, 'this is cool, kind of like The Doors, where he's just freestylin',' but, by the time he did it again during Feel Your Love Tonight, the crowd was definitely getting restless. By the time he got to the story about him and Ozzy during
            the 1978 tour, people were starting to leave - the show was REALLY running long with Dave's constant rapping, and it was killing the momentum.

When they broke down AGAIN during Unchained - one of my fave VH songs - I decided I'd had enough and went to the bathroom (clipping the mike to my wife's shirt and handing her the recorder - this occurred at the start of Somebody Get Me a Doctor as well). When they broke down YET AGAIN during You Really Got Me, Dave even says 'have you ever wondered why there are all
            these slow spots in these songs?' I heard someone behind me yell 'NOOOO!'

Eddie launched into his extended solo, and at that point, my wife was ready to call it quits, but, I convinced her that we were near the end - I'm a guitar player, but, 10 minutes of public masterbation on the guitar does not impress me nearly as much at 44 as it did when I was 17; especially when EVERY. SINGLE. SONG. has already been spread out past the breaking point.
            I know that there are a lot of guitar players that wait breathlessly for Eddie to break into his solo, but, the screaming banshees around us notwithstanding, there were many more people streaming to the restrooms or for the exits. At this late point in his career, I think Eddie would do well to understand that "less is more."

Some good things - Alex is an amazing drummer; having seen mostly over 50 acts of late, I was very impressed that he does not seem to have lost anything, and he kept the tempos up. Wolf is a stud on bass and backing vocals - my wife also plays bass guitar and she was totally blown away by his playing. I'd rather have Michael Anthony but...blah blah blah. Also: Ed looks good and sounds good - his playing was top notch, and he had quite a bit of energy. I truly like Dave in Van Halen, and his "singing" does not bother me as much as some - my wife was totally annoyed that he doesn't seem to sing his own lyrics! But, seriously, Dave - lose 90% of the during-song chit-chat.

My take is that Van Halen has a super strong set of 90 or so minutes of Roth-era material that they ballooned out past 2 hours, which left our group ready for the end when it arrived - and, from what I saw, quite a few people around us had left by the end as well. That's my 2 cents - your mileage may vary. I have at least two copies of every Van Halen album and know them all pretty well. I've seen them (and taped) now 3 times and collect all of their shows up through the Hagar-led 2004 reunion - but, this show left me feeling like I've seen them for the last time. Little Guitars is my favorite VH song, and I was delighted to see it back in the set, and the rarities were OK, too - though, placing more obscure songs like In A Simple Rhyme and Dirty Movies before Dave's LOOOONG story probably isn't ideal. Lots and lots of bathroom breaks were observed during that stretch.

It was nice that the rain stopped, but, the wind and breeze continued throughout, which was throwing the mix around the whole time - this is reflected in the recording. Also, there was one super annoying woman behind me to my right who insisted on screaming - off key - pretty much the entire time; by the end, I had a pounding headache from her screeching, which might have
            also had an impact on mine and my wife's enjoyment of the concert. By and large, I kept quiet, though, you do hear my wife and I talk a little; generally, all things considered, the recording is not bad and a pretty accurate capture of the show we saw.

One last question, that my wife asked me about: so, what does all this mean for the Van Hagar material? Does VH just continue to pretend that those songs don't exist and never play them again? That's what I think happens, but, my wife made the great point that 'there's at least 10-15 songs from that period that get played on the radio that people remember and want to hear - doesn't Eddie, at some point, have to bring those back???'

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
              Same kind of assmuncher who didn't realize that, assless chaps, was perhaps one of the goddamned stupidest grouping of words in history. The first person who wrote that should be dug up hung then shot...and it has continued for decades.
              I've said that before...if chaps had an ass, they'd be PANTS.
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2015/0...review/106005/

i don't think kristy liked the show...
                It was a decent show despite the lackluster perforce that is/was Roth. Could have been that fucking night that made for a dreary night.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

you mean rain?
                  Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Kristy
                    It was a decent show despite the lackluster perforce that is/was Roth. Could have been that fucking night that made for a dreary night.
                    Did you stand there staring at the stage pissed off before they started ?? Dave hasn't sung great since 2008. What did you expect ? He did bullshit way too much for me at this one though from what I've seen so far.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

you mean rain?
                      Yes, I did.

A bit of a tradition. Never have gone to a show at Red Rocks in July where it hasn't rained.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2007

Yes, I did.

A bit of a tradition. Never have gone to a show at Red Rocks in July where it hasn't rained.
                        did you at least smile...some? did you sing out loud?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Yes, I did.

I simply admire the fact that you went in the first place! That places you smack dab in the middle of 1985 with the rest of us.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            I simply admire the fact that you went in the first place! That places you smack dab in the middle of 1985 with the rest of us.
                            Ticket stub or it didnt happen..

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

did you at least smile...some? did you sing out loud?
                              Only to the Katy Perry cover songs.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                                Ticket stub or it didnt happen..

Comment

Working...