Stand Your Ground Doesn't Equal Neighborhood (Death Squad) Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MUSICMANN View Post
    Like i said, would this have made national news if Zimmerman would have ended up the victim and the teen runs away in the night , with nobody knowing what had happened.
    Not the same situation, Zimmerman had a gun, the kid had Skittles...

I can use personal experience, not first hand, but a cousin in my family, that shot a illegal Mexican that was banging on his door at 2:00 in the morning. My cousin said he clearly shouted at the guy to leave and get off his property, but the dude didn't. He kept trying to get in the house. Now my cousin had a choice, he could have fled out the back door and called the police while getting as far away as possible, or do what he did. Went out the back door, dude up front trying to get in, my cousin approaches him, the dude turns around and my cousin shoots him dead with a shotgun. He never went to jail and was cleared of any wrong doing.
    Sounds almost hypothetically implausible, but okay: the guy was on his property, again not even a remotely similar situation. Your cousin has a right to defend his property and family. Why exactly he'd do an "end-around" I don't know...

My point being, that was a, in the moment situation and not a premeditated one. The same can be said about this right here. Now that the story is becoming clearer, it definitely seems like it was a, in the moment confrontation where you had one armed individual that felt his life was being threatened in that moment in time.
    Um, the kid was on a public street and not trying to enter anyones' property. Maybe your cousin can go out and accost people then shoot them based on poor judgement?

Why did the teen approach Zimmerman and starting beating him down. He didn't know Zimmerman from Santa Claus and surely didn't think far enough ahead that he could be possibly confronting another person that might have a weapon. The right thing he should have done was run away but he didn't. He took a chance and paid for it with his life. In this day and age, you just never know what people will do in stressed situation. You don't know if their armed or drugged out or just fucking crazy. You know the old saying, don't bring a knife to a gunfight, but really if all you have is your fist and you don't know if the other person has a knife or gun, it's best to run.
    Um, Zimmerman approached him. Everything afterward is based on Zimmerman's unquestionably biased account of what happened next...

Comment

• Originally posted by gbranton View Post
      Yeah, I think people HAVE forgotten. The KKK lynched more Republicans than blacks back in the day.
      It was a completely different Republican Party, one that didn't benefit from white southern racists defecting in droves after Democrats rammed through desegregation...

Are you guys suddenly "Radical Republicans" now?

Comment

• There's also this thread to chew on:

Comment

As Ronnie was quoted in the very first post on this thread, the Republicans are the party of individual rights, they had probably had enough of working for the collective.
          Unless you're black and walking in the wrong time and place apparently...

Comment

By the way, Lincoln did not like black people. Though he signed the Emancipation Proclamation, he wanted to send tem all back to Africa or put them all on an island in the Caribbean.
            He postulated this early on as a way to remove any arguments by white plantation owners, the very small minority of southerners that controlled policy, then disposed of the ideas as impractical and impossible. I believe Lincoln personally had a black valet or butler that was considered a close friend and confidant...

What he REALLY fought the Civil War for was to preserve the Union.
            And the Union was being destroyed by...DUM...dum..DUMMM!!! (slavery)...

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union." - Abraham Lincoln, August 22, 1862.
            That's called being a politician. Slavery was in fact being ended and made obsolete anyways, the Southern States seceded because they knew this. But I applaud your ability to fraudulently quote history out of context...

Comment

States did and technically still do have the right to succeed. It was protectionism for Nothern manufacturers. The southern states leaving the union would have had a devasating effect on the North's economy, as many essental goods such as cotton and tobacco came from the South. Factories would have been idled, unemployment would have been rampant and the North's economy could very well have collapsed. Lincoln relied on heavy contributions from manufacturers and the railroad industry, who needed to keep the Union intact in order to keep their businesses running, many think he gave in to that pressure to preserve the Union.
              Succession only made the Northern industry stronger, and the South was seceding because they thought they were being economically marginalized. Also, the South simply stole a whole host of resources that were financed via mostly Norther expenditures such as military armories and forts without any sort of negotiation or agreement...

Comment

• Shut the fuck up nickdfeltch. Damn!

Comment

• Originally posted by Catfish View Post
                  This thread is a bunch of liberals gagging on each others' pricks! It's hilarious!
                  Welcome to my world bro.

Comment

I don't think they serve the SAME corpoate intersts entirely. There is some overlap, but Repubs are more cloesly aligned with the military industrial complex, which explains their affinity for being the world police and their zeal to bring "freedom" to everyone who has the resorces to pay for weapons, while the Dems are in the pockets of those selling carbon credits and the like, which explains them throwing away money on non-sustainable "green" technology and the EPA.
                    There seems to be two camps behind the scenes of the politics. One camp seems to want non stop war to feed the military industrial complex. The other camp seems to want to have high taxes on energy and have the energy itself tightly controlled and expensive.

To be honest, I think if we had a president make a challenge to get off oil in ten years we could do it. I think we could make energy so cheap it would transform the world. The thing is it would make the oil industry a buggy whip industry. To continue the oil program will only mean more environmental damage from fracking, strip mining tar sands, to deep ocean blowouts. I notice they have had another one in the north sea now.

We could do a lot of things but sadly it seems like the institutions who could actually organize and finance the solutions are the problem themselves. Too many crooks wanting to fleece the public rather than help them. People seem to be waking up to it now though. The only question is how to you fix it?
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Why is it okay for Spike Lee to text his 250,000 followers Zimmermans address? What is he hoping/expecting them to do with it? If something happened & someone went and killed him, wouldn't Spike be responsible?

Dumb Spike texted the wrong address. lol. what an idiot. Poor people that do live there are in a motel out of fear. I hope they sue his crappy movie making ass for ton$.

*urged friends on Facebook to "REACH OUT & TOUCH HIM"
                      Last edited by sadaist; 03-28-2012, 08:38 PM.
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Jagermeister View Post
                        Shut the fuck up nickdfeltch. Damn!
                        Fuck you, Fagerfister!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                          Succession only made the Northern industry stronger, and the South was seceding because they thought they were being economically marginalized. Also, the South simply stole a whole host of resources that were financed via mostly Norther expenditures such as military armories and forts without any sort of negotiation or agreement...
                          War always makes industry stronger unless of course it gets bombed out by the enemy. Once Lincoln printed up his green backs and accepted them as payment of taxes, he had what he needed to oil the north's industrial base and winning the war fueled the demand.

Comment

• You think the South could ever have won?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                              Fuck you, Fagerfister!
                              Have you been drinking? WTF is wrong with you?

Comment

I PERSONALLY wouldn't rank him too highly. He suspended Habius Corpus, then issued an arrest warrant for a Supreme Court Chief Justice when he correctly ruled that according to Article I of the Constitution, only Congress, not the president, could suspend the Great Writ of Habeas Corpus. He jailed newpaper editors who dared disagree with him, turned the US Army on it's own citizens in placs like New York City to quash protests and then put tens of tousands of them in prison. He put captured Confederate soldiers into prison camps where thousand died of hunger, disease and exposure.
                                Lincoln probably wouldn't be looked at too highly if he didn't free the slaves. He probably would be looked at as a tyrant president that caused a big bloody war. My family immigrated to the US after the civil war so it really had no impact from an ancestral point of view. My father in law is from the south an had lots of ancestors who fought for the confederacy. He views Lincoln in about the same light as Adolf Hitler. A real tyrant. But then he calls the civil war the war of northern aggression. I grew up with the typical school textbook Lincoln. He was the guy that wore the stove pipe hat who freed the slaves. It was funny to hear him put in the same class as Hitler.

Comment

Working...
                                X