Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm still not convinced warmer temperatures are a significant factor in slowing spread of the virus.

Along with shortages of plastic grocery shopping bags, where allowed... I noticed trash bags were in short supply last week at the store. I guess with more stay at home more household trash... plus bored people cleaning out their junk.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      Even with all the social distancing that has been in place for the last month, down here in Florida we're averaging around a hundred new confirmed cases daily over the last week, give or take.

Considering the vast majority of the population down here haven't even been tested at all, one guesses the actual amount of cases per day is higher.

Schools are closed through the end of the semester.

People seem to be gearing up for May 1st as some sort of reopening day, but exactly what restrictions will be lifted and how businesses will reopen in terms of procedure remains to be seen.

Lot of smaller/independent/non-corporate or non-conglomerate businesses...it'll be interesting to see how many of those actually come back at all, seeing as more than a few of those didn't get their small business stimulus funds before it was too late for them anyway: some of these businesses can only stay afloat for so long with next to no revenue coming in while operating expenses (even at a reduced capacity) are still going out.

The smaller, family-run hotels and motels on the Gulf? Man, they already lost part of February, all of March and now half of April, which is essentially one of THE busiest times of year where I'd imagine a healthy chunk of their yearly revenue is made...lotta available commercial real estate will be up for grabs down here in fairly short order.

The one positive thing is Trump is going to send FL lots of federal money to try and buy the election.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As if Florida needed any help in stealing elections??
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          I'm still not convinced warmer temperatures are a significant factor in slowing spread of the virus.

Along with shortages of plastic grocery shopping bags, where allowed... I noticed trash bags were in short supply last week at the store. I guess with more stay at home more household trash... plus bored people cleaning out their junk.
          Viruses don’t live that long and warm weather tends to reduce the spread of them. It’s why flu season is during the colder months. Anyways Fauci predicted 2 million dead Americans. That model scared the hell out of people and created a panic. In most places it hasn’t been that bad. You have a low probability of dying from COVID19 in California. Even with it’s dense population, COVID19 has not been the problem that is has been in the NYC area. California is a car culture. New Yorkers use more public transportation. That may be the difference. Anyways the death numbers from this haven’t even come remotely close to the predictions.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            UV and warmer temps with humility do kill the virus, but you still have to be careful as many countries had large spread in the midst of the southern hemisphere summer, like Australia...
            Probably because COVID19 is more contagious. People will build up immunity from it also. That’s also a factor. It’s not catching the coronavirus that’s deadly. It’s the secondary infection that causes pneumonia that is. That can be treated with antibiotics but the key to that is to get on them early. It’s pneumonia killing people and the type of people who are more susceptible to die from pneumonia are more susceptible to die from this.

Anyways you can’t shut the economy down too long because that will create a bigger crisis than COVID19. People aren’t going to stay home much longer and let their lives rot regardless of what the government says.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

One thing that isn’t being said is eat right, exercise, get enough sleep and stay hydrated. That’s how you build a strong immune system. In general, Americans are in pretty shitty shape and that makes you susceptible to getting sick. I haven’t been really sick in 20 years.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                One thing that isn’t being said is eat right, exercise, get enough sleep and stay hydrated. That’s how you build a strong immune system. In general, Americans are in pretty shitty shape and that makes you susceptible to getting sick. I haven’t been really sick in 20 years.
                Sleep has been an issue for me lately, the rest I'm ok. I'm still going out for short rides until it gets warmer and I can do some 30 milers. Back down to 183, which isn't too bad considering I can't go to the gym.

I have said all along that there's gonna be a lot of fat kids here soon.
                Last edited by twonabomber; 04-24-2020, 08:00 PM.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• silverfish
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sadaist
                  I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Probably because COVID19 is more contagious. People will build up immunity from it also.

Well yeah.

That’s also a factor. It’s not catching the coronavirus that’s deadly. It’s the secondary infection that causes pneumonia that is. That can be treated with antibiotics but the key to that is to get on them early. It’s pneumonia killing people and the type of people who are more susceptible to die from pneumonia are more susceptible to die from this.
                    Yeah, kind of an ignorant post as COVID-19 is in itself a viral pneumonia not affected by antibiotics. In addition there are all sorts of weird shit going on with a new virus in the human ecosystem, the latest is that in NYC they're finding relatively young people dead in their abodes from strokes that had Coronavirus with no symptoms and died....

Anyways you can’t shut the economy down too long because that will create a bigger crisis than COVID19. People aren’t going to stay home much longer and let their lives rot regardless of what the government says.
                    Yeah well something on the order of 70% support social distancing other than the often extremist fuckwits protesting. The data from the "Spanish Flu" of 1918-1920 shows that the cities that practiced stringent social distancing actually recovered much faster than the Dumbfuckistan states like Georgia...
                    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-24-2020, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

One thing that isn’t being said is eat right, exercise, get enough sleep and stay hydrated. That’s how you build , a strong immune system. In general, Americans are in pretty shitty shape and that makes you susceptible to getting sick. I haven’t been really sick in 20 years.
                      Again sort of a dolt post, after the second wave of the Spanish Flu, the young and healthy were the main death demographic, as the Cytokine Storm killed them the most. The immune system is aided by healthy behaviors, but it is built by exposure to cold and flu viruses and the resulting antibodies...
                      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-24-2020, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I don't believe we can lump all viruses together and assume that treatments and impacts will be similar.

Reading some of the scientific data on this COVID-19 variant... it appears the virus has mutated multiple times and we're seeing significant variation in who has mild and severe symptoms. Plus differing variations in geographical areas. Like the people most impacted in Italy have very different response and demographics compared to the people infected in California. It's actually 2 variants with differing mutations in the DNA/RNA of the virus.

Bottom line... we don't know enough about this virus to make any definitive assumptions, treatments and preventatives. Much more work ahead...
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

That said I'm pretty sure injecting bleach is a bad idea.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

On the plus side, they managed to make Whitecraw taste better!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                                I don't believe we can lump all viruses together and assume that treatments and impacts will be similar.

Reading some of the scientific data on this COVID-19 variant... it appears the virus has mutated multiple times and we're seeing significant variation in who has mild and severe symptoms. Plus differing variations in geographical areas. Like the people most impacted in Italy have very different response and demographics compared to the people infected in California. It's actually 2 variants with differing mutations in the DNA/RNA of the virus.

Bottom line... we don't know enough about this virus to make any definitive assumptions, treatments and preventatives. Much more work ahead...
                                Here ya' go! From The Daily Mail:

Sunlight may kill the coronavirus on surfaces within minutes, according to an unpublished study carried out by US Department of Homeland Security scientists that has not been reviewed by independent experts.

Their results suggest radiation given off by UV rays can damage the virus' genetic material and hamper its ability to replicate on surfaces. There is no evidence UV rays can kill the coronavirus in the body.

The 'evidence' was unveiled at last night's White House press briefing by DHS offical Bill Bryan, who has no scientific background - and triggered a bizarre outburst by Donald Trump.

On the back of the claims, Trump proposed two dangerous new treatments, which included injecting cleaning agents in the body and the use of ultraviolet lights.

Comment

Working...