Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, Dave wrote some "dirty old man" lyrics on YFLM, but at least he did it with a little class....

She needed classical music
    Or she couldn't make love at all
    And I was up there frequently
    And bringin' down the walls

Drop dead bombshell
    Clean-cut classy gal
    She was a good pal

And if you turned up the volume
    You could hear her demons call
    She'd say, "Fuck me like Chopin
    Or don't fuck me at all."

Tell me what you want
    And I'll take the scenic route
    Tell me what you want
    With your filthy little mouth

How 'bout a little Henry Miller
    With your Huckleberry Finn
    Assume the position, honey
    Let's begin

I'd bet Sammy doesn't know who Chopin or Henry Miller are. And he probably only knows Huck Finn from some movie he saw when he was a kid.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      I think age comes into it too and I thought it at the time.

When Hagar was writing lyrics like that on 5150 he was 39 which seemed like your old man cat calling your fellow students - creepy.

By the time Roth was that age he was writing the YFLM album not Everybody Wants Some.
      When I first heard Good Enough, right off the bat I remember thinking Hagar was copping a Roth, and getting it wrong. It came across as inauthentic. Then, as Vinnie Velvet mentioned, 2 albums later he's churning out drivel like Black And Blue, with a Dr.Suess rhyme scheme and all the charm of a Motley Crue tune. And along the lines of what you say, Sesh, such basic 'let's fuck' lyrics are perhaps understandable from a hair metal meathead frontman in his early 20s. Hagar is in his late 30s to mid 40s by this point: clearly he has little in the arsenal other than Hallmark Moon/June-level aspirational sentiments or 'let's fuck' tunes to offer.

With Roth, there was some subtlety and wit there, even when he was in his 20s fronting CVH. Naturally, those qualities sailed right over Hagar's head, so when he tried to mimic Dave in terms of approach he fell into the same trap a lot of those post-CVH LA bands did when they were borrowing from what CVH did, where the guitar players took the flash of Eddie's style without - for a large part - the great songwriting hooks and riffs and the lead singers got the base sexual elements Dave projected without the sense of humor.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I always thought Hagar's entire career was copping other people and being inauthentic - hopping on any trend that came along from dewy-pop lovy wuvy songs to tired rockers rather than doing anything innovative or interesting....

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
          When I first heard Good Enough, right off the bat I remember thinking Hagar was copping a Roth, and getting it wrong. It came across as inauthentic. Then, as Vinnie Velvet mentioned, 2 albums later he's churning out drivel like Black And Blue, with a Dr.Suess rhyme scheme and all the charm of a Motley Crue tune. And along the lines of what you say, Sesh, such basic 'let's fuck' lyrics are perhaps understandable from a hair metal meathead frontman in his early 20s. Hagar is in his late 30s to mid 40s by this point: clearly he has little in the arsenal other than Hallmark Moon/June-level aspirational sentiments or 'let's fuck' tunes to offer.

With Roth, there was some subtlety and wit there, even when he was in his 20s fronting CVH. Naturally, those qualities sailed right over Hagar's head, so when he tried to mimic Dave in terms of approach he fell into the same trap a lot of those post-CVH LA bands did when they were borrowing from what CVH did, where the guitar players took the flash of Eddie's style without - for a large part - the great songwriting hooks and riffs and the lead singers got the base sexual elements Dave projected without the sense of humor.
          Great post.

And that's what separates CVH from all the other bands that tried to copy them - including Van Hagar!
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            I always thought Hagar's entire career was copping other people and being inauthentic - hopping on any trend that came along from dewy-pop lovy wuvy songs to tired rockers rather than doing anything innovative or interesting....
            Certainly applies to his solo career in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Very derivative of what other bands did in terms of guitar work (riffs, hooks, etc.). Haven't listened beyond a few tunes to his post-Van Hagar stuff (nor do I intend to) but I'd be hard-pressed to imagine as a solo artist he has gotten any better. There wasn't anything Chickenfoot did that smacked of being particularly innovative to my ears in terms of songwriting even when Satriani was playing with them. Then again, Satriani has always been more of a technician than a composer when I consider his overall career.

The two things Hagar was involved with that approached quality were Montrose and Van Hagar. Each of those bands had some decent to good moments, but to my ears said moments all had to do with what was going on in instrumental terms rather than the vocals or lyrics...and Hagar really wasn't responsible for the instrumental moments either of those bands had, quality or otherwise.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Igosplut
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Nothing like trying to pour cold water on something that was just a Damn good time 35 years in the rear view mirror.
              Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                That's the problem with today's culture. Things like comedy (which is what the HFT video is) especially suffers because of it.
                Yeah, I'm thinking we'll soon be calling this the butt-hurt era...

Sadly... what many considered harmless, satirical comedy during their younger days... it's now being seriously classified as harmful racism, sexism, oppression, whatever negative label you want to apply to it. If you give it some sincere thought... in some cases, maybe these things we innocently thought were harmless... were not.

The challenge I question... Should one be made to feel guilty for the cultural things now deemed inappropriate in the time period they grew up in..?

I have no plans to fucking apologize to anyone for growing up in the 60's/70's/80's...
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  Yeah, I'm thinking we'll soon be calling this the butt-hurt era...

Sadly... what many considered harmless, satirical comedy during their younger days... it's now being seriously classified as harmful racism, sexism, oppression, whatever negative label you want to apply to it. If you give it some sincere thought... in some cases, maybe these things we innocently thought were harmless... were not.

The challenge I question... Should one be made to feel guilty for the cultural things now deemed inappropriate in the time period they grew up in..?

I have no plans to fucking apologize to anyone for growing up in the 60's/70's/80's...
                  Which, I mean...CVH was never considered kid-safe or family-friendly entertainment back in the day, for starters. And even just a casual glance at the top music acts of the last 15 years from the point of view of an old geezer such as myself...I mean, it's not like exploiting sexuality to sell records/tv shows/movies has exactly tapered off in any way with the new century: does one really need to go back nearly 4 decades to make that argument?
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well also we could start a thread on creepy misogynist lyrics way way worse than Van Halen.

For example

Run for Your Life

The Beatles

Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
                    Than to be with another man
                    You better keep your head, little girl
                    Or you won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
                    Hide your head in the sand, little girl
                    Catch you with another man
                    That's the end'a little girl

Well, you know that I'm a wicked guy
                    And I was born with a jealous mind
                    And I can't spend my whole life
                    Trying just to make you toe the line

Let this be a sermon
                    I mean everything I've said
                    Baby, I'm determined
                    And I'd rather see you dead

I'd rather see you dead, little girl
                    Than to be with another man
                    You better keep your head, little girl
                    Or you won't know where I am

Na, na, na
                    Na, na, na
                    Na, na, na
                    Na, na, na

Songwriters: John Lennon / Paul Mccartney

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Admittedly not one of John's best. Hard to believe he's the same guy who wrote "Imagine".
                      Actually, the song was directly inspired by Elvis Presley's "Baby Let's Play House", which has the following verse.....

Now listen to me, baby
                      Try to understand.
                      I'd rather see you dead, little girl,
                      Than to be with another man.
                      Now baby,
                      Come back, baby, come.
                      Come back, baby, come.
                      Come back, baby, I wanna play house with you.
                      Last edited by FORD; 02-09-2019, 01:02 AM.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        I don't think he ever got over his Robert Plant fetish. Not that he ever sounded remotely like Plant, but he tried to look like him. And even that last band of his was essentially a Zep cover band, right down to having Jason Bonham as a drummer. I'll bet Sammy is insanely jealous of the kid from Greta Van Fleet who actually CAN sing like Plant.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          Which, I mean...CVH was never considered kid-safe or family-friendly entertainment back in the day, for starters. And even just a casual glance at the top music acts of the last 15 years from the point of view of an old geezer such as myself...I mean, it's not like exploiting sexuality to sell records/tv shows/movies has exactly tapered off in any way with the new century: does one really need to go back nearly 4 decades to make that argument?
                          Most of the content of popular music, especially in the last 60 years, has been more of a reflection of the life/culture of 20-30 year olds... never kid safe... generally teen appealing... but considering the age range and content it's actually deeply "family-friendly" in the sense that all that partying and sex, sooner or later, leads to babies and the starting of... a family!

I'd deem that wholesome and the butt-hurt folks should be damn thankful that their existence sprang from the anthem of Everybody Wants Some and Girls Gone Wild...

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2012

Didn't have a problem with the lyrics in 1984, don't have a problem with them now. And is "steak-headed sexuality" all you got? Get the fuck out of here with that. If you want "steak-headed sexuality", hold my beer and i'll get Sam on the phone for you.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                              Didn't have a problem with the lyrics in 1984, don't have a problem with them now. And is "steak-headed sexuality" all you got? Get the fuck out of here with that. If you want "steak-headed sexuality", hold my beer and i'll get Sam on the phone for you.
                              Never heard the term "steak-headed sexuality"... googled it. Came up empty.

Is this something better grilled or smoked..?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

variant of meathead. Generally applied more often to football players or used self-derisively by more intelligent meatheads to show that they do have some trace of creativity.

Comment

Working...