X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    It just saddens me seeing this current state of Van Halen and Dave's musical catalog...

Knowing that a significant amount of really interesting recordings, from classic live performances, studio out-takes and just raw scratch/jam tracks sit idle in storage somewhere. The best that is produced today is Karaoke Dave and the Cover Band™...

Fucking pathetic...
    I will lay most of that blame on Alex. If he wanted to release vintage stuff we wouldve seen it but he doesn't want to do anything.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Alex? Oh yeah. Fuck him too!
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I personally don’t think there is this big stash of unreleased VH material. I think the best stuff got released and the good unofficial stuff stuff is on YouTube. I don’t think there’s anything all that great in Ed’s tape vault either. There’s only so much you can do on a guitar. I think it’s stuff we heard before and would recognize.

Yeah Alex could be some creative merchandising pimp. Maybe some fans wish Al was like Gene Simmons in that regard because they want the stuff but that’s never been Van Halen.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
          Agreed.

Alex won't be playing anything with anyone else like ever. Has he ever played with anyone besides Ed? Nope.

Eddie on the other hand did. He jammed with others many times. Perhaps much easier to do just plugging in your guitar rather than have to set up your own drums for a gig. But Alex never played with anyone else besides his brother.
          The Van Halen’s have always been very guarded. They don’t like to share everything with the public. You have to be in the inner circle. It’s actually a very Asian way of thinking. This is not for you unless you are welcomed in. The Van Halen’s attitude always has been, you buy a ticket we are obligated to show up and give you a good show. You own the album you bought, you don’t own us. Get the fuck outta here! You ain’t in our group!

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Dave put up a new version of Everybody Wants Some

Last edited by twonabomber; 12-26-2022, 01:46 PM.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• MasonL
              Groupie
              • May 2022

The lack of good drums really stick out like a sore thumb on that one. Jesus. That song is anchored by Al on the drums. But good to hear Dave still wailing and he sounds pretty good, tuned or not, after decades of doing his job.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah... that one sounds more like an Ac/Dc tribute band with a fake Eddie guesting on lead guitar.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  Yeah... that one sounds more like an Ac/Dc tribute band with a fake Eddie guesting on lead guitar.
                  AC/DC is what I thought too. Or Electric-era Cult. I don't mind the lack of reverb, could get used to the less busy drums.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

That fucking sucked!

Comment

• moose
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2004

30 seconds was enough for me....

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

What a gawd damned embarrassment... There's a herd of 16 year olds that can perform that song better all day long...
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Silexxx
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Sep 2010

Unchained. New Roth Show also on Spotify.
                          Last edited by Silexxx; 03-02-2023, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Silexxx
                            VH covers now available in Tidal and Spotify. Released under Wawaza!! Records. No Michael Anthonys name in credits for VH originals, just Dave, Eddie and Alex.
                            Meanwhile, as they have pointed out on the DLR Podcast no DLR Band album on Spotify even though it was released under his own record company. You can't listen to 'Weekend With The Babysitter' but you can listen to the Ashley Abernathy song

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

I dunno...I just have no interest in these Roth Rerecords CVH Tunes cuts. I listened to...WTF was it...Panama (I think) earlier in this thread and there was nothing about it that made me either want to hear it again or see the necessity of it in any shape or form.

As I may have mentioned, I could see where Roth might have desired to have videotaped or record musicians playing CVH tunes live in an audition situation as a way of him being able to go back and assess who he wanted in his band for potential live performances.

From what I gather, though, this was Roth re-recording the CVH material in a studio situation after the last Vegas stint was cancelled and he was already ostensibly retired...do I have that correct in terms of the situation/chronology?

If so, it's both weird and not of interest to me. If I wanna hear Everybody Wants Some I'll throw on WACF. What I'm not gonna do is listen to Roth circa 2022 take a bunch of working musicians in the studio and try to recreate the CVH material. Is there anybody who really wants to hear that? Fuckin' christ.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

So much great material locked in vaults... the best they have to offer is Cover Band™ Dave and remastered Hagar era crap.

Seriously... pathetic.
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...