• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MAX
    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

America's Game NFL Film Series

Dunno if anyone will give a shit about this thread, besides my fellow NFL historian Craig? lol Well, Poj and RBW might, dunno?? Anyhoo, I fuckin' love this series and love the newer "missing rings" ones. This morning, the '77 Cowboys were featured and boy, did that bring back memories. Yup, I rooted for The Broncos that year and was a huge fan of Morton and The Orange Crush.

Well and getting back to the show, it had Hollywood Henderson on it. I'd totally forgotten about him, what a great player he was AND that he'd won the Texas State Lotto in 2000. One hundred million $$$!!! Too funny.

The series is also cool just cos of the old archival footage. Like NFL Today on CBS with Phyllis George and Jane Kennedy. Wanted to bang 'em both!!!

Comments?
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Comcast switched the tier the NFL Network came on, so now you have to purchase a boatload of movie channels (that you'll never have enough time to watch) in order to get it. There is an occasional highlight package of some shows in the "On Demand" section, so I'll have to check out if these films are included. I love this old stuff, particularly the documentaries voiced by John "Frozen Tundra" Facenda, so thanks for the heads-up!

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• MAX
      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
      Comcast switched the tier the NFL Network came on, so now you have to purchase a boatload of movie channels (that you'll never have enough time to watch) in order to get it. There is an occasional highlight package of some shows in the "On Demand" section, so I'll have to check out if these films are included. I love this old stuff, particularly the documentaries voiced by John "Frozen Tundra" Facenda, so thanks for the heads-up!
      So, you haven't seen ANY of these?? :confused:

They're fucking epic. They cover almost every Super Bowl Champion team. Like they have my two Broncos victories that have commentaries from Elway, Schlereth, Davis and even Neil Smith.

The one on The '72 Dolphins had Czonk, Shula and I cannot remember.

Seriously bro, they're incredible.

I love Facenda, the true Marlboro voice. Seriously, did he ever do ads for them way back in the day??
      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Here ya go...
        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MAX

I love Facenda, the true Marlboro voice. Seriously, did he ever do ads for them way back in the day??
          Believe it or not, he never did commercial voice overs except for one department store and a few documentaries. He was a news broadcaster, and met Ed Sabol in a bar one evening. The tv was on with the sound off, and Facenda started narrating the action. Sabol overheard this, then introduced himself. They wound up getting tanked together, and the next day he was hired to work for NFL Films.

Ya know, you might be thinking of Bill Woodson. He was the narrator of ABC's The Invaders tv show and The Odd Couple. He was the guy that originally said the "Frozen tundra" phrase, but that idiot Chris Bermann credited it to Facenda.
          Last edited by chefcraig; 05-24-2010, 04:51 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• MAX
            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Believe it or not, he never did commercial voice overs except for one department store and a few documentaries. He was a news broadcaster, and met Ed Sabol in a bar one evening. The tv was on with the sound off, and Facenda started narrating the action. Sabol overheard this, then introduced himself. They wound up getting tanked together, and the next day he was hired to work for NFL Films.
            Thanks and I should already know that. lol

The only drawback to these docs are the narratives. Instead of an old-school, stellar, gruff, whiskey and ciggybutt voice they opted for Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen and Tom Selleck. lol At least there's one gun nut in the mix amongst the softies who prolly never played a game, let alone even touched a pigskin in their entire lifetime.

For footy docs, they should use peeps like Clint or even Dennis Leary. IMO.
            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

merry christmas max

anyways, yeah, the series is rather good, my favorites are the "85 Bears" and "96 Packers" ones, also "the missing rings" ones are really good as well, 98 vikings being my favorite, though I wish they'd cover the '86 and '87 Browns teams.

speaking of Facenda. Best NFL FILMS Yearbook ever!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Unchainme
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2005

also, if any of you guys are into torrenting, this site has like a ton of old NFL films and games, only downside is they have a tracking limit

Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• MAX
                  Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Just saw two of 'em covering the 49ers in '88 and '89. Forgot how great of a team they once were.
                  EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

Working...