Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Momshell
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Holy cow, what a show! @VanHalen ROCKED #Amway Center!!! twitter.com/anchortom/stat…— Tom Johnson (@anchortom) April 13, 2012
    Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• Momshell
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

Yes!RT “@VanHalenNews: Van Halen: The Greatest Rock Comeback Of All Time? fb.me/1DuC35poG”— Tom Johnson (@anchortom) April 13, 2012
      Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

It's been fun guys (and gals) - see you in the am, hopefully with some youtubes.
        Stay Frosty!

Comment

• qikgts
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2012

What an awesome show!!! I gave it the Army try to do the updates but my connection was too slow... Btw it sounded to me like Dave botched HAIL and then Ed stumbled on it too. Otherwise I thought it kicked major ass!

I was in the back facing the stage and Dave sounded good although his level was a bit low. No doggie stories, no long bullshit sessions, just the blower rant. I'm convinced it was schtick tonight.

I was blown away by Wolfgang. That dude has chops and he sings everything right the fuck on.

Wish I had more dough to see them again and be in a spot where it sounds better. No worries though, they kicked ass even though the crowd kinda sucked. Most of the people in my section were sitting down and were almost pedestrian. I guess that just proves VH with Dave is enough to get people to come out.
          You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• Momshell
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

Eddie's solo

The only youtubes I could find were this one and Alex (which I decided not to post). Guess it's still too early.
            Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Hot For Teacher
              Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Check out the jump about 3 mins into the above video (HFT)!
                Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

Unchained
                  Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Concert review: Van Halen at Amway Center
                    Concerts — posted by jimabbott on April, 12 2012 10:47 PM

Van Halen is on the road behind a new studio album, its first with singer David Lee Roth since the MTV glory days.

The new release, “A Different Kind of Truth,” is a solid collection of songs, if not transcendent enough to compete with the classics. Of course, Van Halen’s devoted fans haven’t let that detail interfere with analysis of every derivative chord pattern and guitar riff.

On Thursday at Amway Center, the band’s current lineup of Roth and the Van Halen boys – guitar god Eddie, his bass-playing son Wolfgang and drum-pounding brother Alex – downplayed the new material. “A Different Kind of Truth” was represented by less than a handful of songs in a 1 hour, 45 minute set that emphasized old favorites.

“Runnin’ With the Devil,” offered in the opening moments, hasn’t lost much swagger since its unveiling on the band’s self-titled 1978 debut album. Although the sound-mix submerged the arrangement in a muddy pool of bass and drums, Eddie’s solo still soared on wings of intricacy and power.

Even more impressive, the modest offering of new songs dovetailed effectively with the proven commodities. “Runnin’ With the Devil” segued into “She’s the Woman,” another platform for the lead guitarist’s virtuosity. Later, the frantic “China Town” yielded more flamboyant shredding. Who cares if it was hard to decipher what Roth was singing – or was that merely shouting?

In front of the band, Roth sported a sensible hair-cut and basic black leather, a less garish outfit than the ringmaster garb he wore at the band’s 2008 show at the old Amway Arena. He seemed less physically demonstrative, though he executed his leg kicks, spins and poses with style. He also complained about being too cold because of the arena’s air-conditioning, which was odd.

Not all the new songs were winners. “Tattoo” is another showcase for Eddie’s guitar, without enough substance to make it worth the effort. On the positive side, the band shrank the arena (which had noticeable patches of empty seats in the upper bowl) with a massive stage-length video screen that made the musicians larger than life.

When Van Halen turned to its signature songs – and when Eddie took the spotlight alone for his extended solo – the music had a similar stature: “Oh, Pretty Woman,” “You Really Got Me,” “Dance the Night Away,” “Hot for Teacher,” “Panama” and “Jump” turned back the clock without missing a beat.

Speaking of nostalgia, Kool & the Gang opened the show with an energetic 50 minutes, laboring valiantly to spark a party vibe among the early birds. Alas, a booming sound mix undercut the impact of oldies such as “Fresh,” “Too Hot,” “Hollywood Swinging” and the obligatory “Celebration.”

And Van Halen? The band is still worth celebrating, a truth that isn’t much different after all these years.
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

"He also complained about being too cold because of the arena’s air-conditioning, which was odd."

Odd? I guess this guy hasn't been following like us looneys.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

I'm starting to feel a little cheated... In Atlantic City Dave remembered all the words and didn't do a 'blower rant'... but he did talk about his dogs, so we did get that.

Comment

• chi-town324
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Feb 2007

maybe Dave knows his voice is not sounding that good, so he's using the blower as an excuse?

Comment

• perrin29
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jan 2012

I've watched some of the clips from Orlando and they sounded pretty good. There must be some truth to it as Ed is over by his amps during the rant blowing his honker. "This is not the Ice Capades!" Dave is the enforcer on the stage. If he does it with humour it's cool. I've seen many a band pitch a fit on stage when shit isn't working right. Dave can pull it off because he's Dave.

Comment

• perrin29
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by perrin29
                              I've watched some of the clips from Orlando and they sounded pretty good. There must be some truth to it as Ed is over by his amps during the rant blowing his honker. "This is not the Ice Capades!" Dave is the enforcer on the stage. If he does it with humour it's cool. I've seen many a band pitch a fit on stage when shit isn't working right. Dave can pull it off because he's Dave.

Comment

• BenJammin
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by VAiN

We are having too much fun!!
                                Wiseguy looks like Quentin Tarantino in that pic.
                                "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

Working...