Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might take a few days to sink in. All the best to the Family.
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Just............fuck cancer.

Cocksucker!

Comment

Numb. This is never going to feel right.

Comment

So is Wolf's lp the last music Ed recorded? Did Ed play on it? Or is it possible the "Vault" could be released..if there is one..

Comment

He turned hard past few days apparently. Very sad

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
              Just............fuck cancer.

Cocksucker!

He died from choosing a lifetime of chain smoking and drinking and drugs. He wouldn't have died from cancer otherwise.

I'm stunned by this, but don't make it sound like he was randomly struck down.

He killed himself slowly.

Comment

Rip king edward!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fairwrning View Post
                  So is Wolf's lp the last music Ed recorded? Did Ed play on it? Or is it possible the "Vault" could be released..if there is one..
                  Wolf has stated that he plays everything on the record with no guest appearances.

Comment

Wow...I literally have not posted on this board in 16 years. I forgot my login info, so I made a backup account.

Really got knocked on my ass today hearing that EVH died. It compelled me to check back in on this place for some reason. I scrolled back and read some very cringey posts of mine from when I was 16, but at the same time it was comforting to relive a period of my life where I was sitting in my parents’ basement trying to riff VH songs on my dad’s Fender strat, and trying to express how much I wanted to see Dave rejoin the band.

So, so much time has passed since then. I got laid! I eventually got married! I have a kid now! The damn reunion actually happened!!!! What a time that must have been around here.

Thanks for all of the music and memories, Ed. Really doesn’t seem fair to lose a true genius from this world before you could even make it to 70. I will never forget watching you and Dave hug on stage in Philly, 10/1/07.

- ClubDave

Comment

Dave put this up on his FB just a few minutes ago and already a big response...

facebook make new album

Comment

From Va on the Roth Army Facebook page.

You knew the news could eventually come. Edward, ever the extremely private man, chose not to disclose it. However, there were enough legitimate news and music outlets reporting that his cancer had returned that we Van Halen fanatics had to start mentally preparing for 'that day'. It was very much, in my case anyway, like with the death of my parents. And still, when you first hear the news, it just hits you like the worst punch in the stomach you can imagine. I saw Wolf's post on Twitter with his Pop's picture today, and without seeing his text, I just knew this was it. Sadly, tragically, I was right.

Ten days after the death of original Van Halen bassist Mark Stone, and one day after the 5th anniversary of Van Halen's last concert with David Lee Roth at the Hollywood Bowl, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, the greatest guitarist of all time, succumbed to cancer today.
                        The outpouring, not even three hours after his death was announced, is simply incredible. And not just from fans and musicians. If anyone wanted to stop the endless political chatter, well unfortunately, this did it. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, stopped what they were doing. Newscasters, politicians, sports anchors, everyone. I think I saw EVH's solo from LWAN posted on Twitter a thousand times this afternoon. Do a Google search for "Van Halen", and just watch it go on and on and on.
                        Sammy Hagar posted his condolences a while ago. I have not seen anything yet from Michael Anthony nor David Lee Roth. And sure, while they've said over the years they hated each other, Dave and Eddie loved each other like brothers. I sure hope that Dave is sitting in his Pasadena house as we speak drafting one fabulous eulogy for his fallen brother.

What can you possibly say about Eddie Van Halen? Where do you start?
                        You know what, I'm just gonna skip all of the guitar accolades. It's too easy, ya know? I guess the only thing I'd mention is that a lot of professional guitarists didn't focus on the virtuosity, but rather on his rhythm playing.
                        As a father of two adult sons myself, I always admired the obvious love and pride Edward showed to his son Wolfgang. Skip all the silly band politics and the reason behind why Wolf replaced Michael Anthony. It was so great to see Ed looking over at Wolf, even as a 16 year-old, perform so well as a bassist in Van Halen.

What was always incredible about Edward to me was that Eddie Van Halen, arguably one of the biggest rockstars of all-time, absolutely hated everything about being a rockstar! Hated doing interviews and hated the adulation. What he loved doing was simply playing the guitar. And while I'm sure he hated the travel while on tour, he loved playing for an audience.
                        Compared to many Van Halen fans, I 'only' saw Van Halen in concert 11 times, mostly due to being stationed overseas for about 10 years. There's no doubt had I been in the States the entire times, that number would be at least 50. There was nothing like seeing The Mighty Van Halen in concert.

I never met Edward, but I could have, and I'll regret that for the rest of my life. When the Smithsonian honored EVH in 2011, a fellow Van Halen fan offered me a ticket. I turned it down, thinking it would be just an interview. Of course, not only was I wrong, with Ed playing many of his famous licks, but he also took pictures with all the fans! I'm still kicking myself.
                        And finally, to Wolfgang. You have been extremely strong while your father has valiantly battled his disease. And even in the last couple months when your father was starting to lose his battle, you continued to chat with us as if nothing was wrong in your personal life. Perhaps it was your way of catharsis. But please know that we know the pain is deep right now. But I hope you realize what joy your father brought to the entire world for over 40 years.

My sincere condolences to the Alex, Wolfgang, Janie, Valerie and the entire Van Halen family.

Rest in Peace, King Edward.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
                            I was just glad no one beat me to it!
                            It's okay because I am going to start the "Can They Open the Fucking Vaults Already?" thread...

Comment

I've been visiting this site intermittently for the last decade, though I rarely post -- but this moved me to come back and say something.

Eddie was a genius and a rare talent. He created a whole generation of musicians who set out to duplicate what he did. It’s quite remarkable that a guitarist from a Californian party band made metal mainstream. He changed music, and in so doing, changed the world. You can count on one hand the guitarists who had the impact he did. In fact, you can probably count on two fingers - Hendrix, then Eddie.

A terribly sad day. Long live EVH. Long live Van Halen.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
                                He died from choosing a lifetime of chain smoking and drinking and drugs. He wouldn't have died from cancer otherwise.

I'm stunned by this, but don't make it sound like he was randomly struck down.

He killed himself slowly.
                                Haven't you claimed you get drunk, do coke, and bang hookers? FFS STFU!!
                                Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-06-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X