"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        Why is Dave doing this?
        Simple answer... Insanity.

The act of doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. In this case, with 75% substandard content.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

The act of doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. In this case, with 75% substandard content.
          Come on Zah.

Just relax and enjoy.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Fairwrning
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Why is Dave doing this?
            I think its kind of like the vibe around here..he just cant or wont let it go..Much like a Sammy interview..

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
              I think its kind of like the vibe around here..he just cant or wont let it go..Much like a Sammy interview..
              Done it for so long can't even entertain the thought of stopping.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                Come on Zah.

Just relax and enjoy.
                I'm relaxed... just not enjoying this. The wealth of what could be done by this man far exceeds the value proposition of anything of interest he could derive from these recordings.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by MasonL
                  Hard to tell. He seems to just do things on a whim without a real endgame in mind. That’s all the way back to the beginning of his solo career. If he had really stuck with that band and made an effort he could’ve maintained some relevancy.

But it could be a way to prime people for a renewal of his Vegas shows. Or just planting a flag and saying “hey I can still do this.” Who knows
                  You nailed it. It's like his Tattoo skin product line. I think Dave had some great ideas but he didn't carry it through. Dave is short bursts of brilliance but he's so eccentric he's all over the place and tends to self-destruct.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

Well the VH road crew did have to restrain Dave with a straight jacket. Ha! Ha! Who knows what's going to happen when Dr. Rockso gets wound up.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                      Yes exactly why I am not a singer. So I give him A for effort.
                      I always like to go see Cheap Trick when I can and every time without fail Robin Zander always sounds great. He's no spring chicken and those guys are always on the road. That's a lot of singing. I don't know how his does it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                        I think what happens is when he's in a groove and wants to let out a classic Dave scream, he tries but then what comes out is garbly goo.

We've all tried it. Singing along to CVH in the car or wherever and then trying to do those screams. What comes out doesnt sound good. Lol

Dave doesn't have the scream anymore so when he tries it, a garbled yell comes out.
                        He went from a groupie giving him a finger up the ass during a blow job to an old dude groaning during a prostate exam.

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I'm sorry. I just don't see the point of these releases. I'm definitely not putting on one of these recordings instead of the original versions. Hell, I'm not even putting one of these on over the live bootleg versions from the 80's.

I just don't get him doing this. If it is to prove he can still sing, then fucking go do it in front of an audience. Or go doctor up that abortion of a live album Van Halen released. There is ZERO reason to be recording and releasing these songs with a cover band.

Is his creativity really this stagnant?

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I'm sorry. I just don't see the point of these releases. I'm definitely not putting on one of these recordings instead of the original versions. Hell, I'm not even putting one of these on over the live bootleg versions from the 80's.

I just don't get him doing this. If it is to prove he can still sing, then fucking go do it in front of an audience. Or go doctor up that abortion of a live album Van Halen released. There is ZERO reason to be recording and releasing these songs with a cover band.

Is his creativity really this stagnant?
                            Perhaps it is we don't know.

Clearly with Ed gone Dave seems to be sputtering. Not knowing what to do next.

He could resume his solo career or get the EEAS band back together and so some festival gigs. Like I said if all his contemporaries who croak through their own songs are still out there why not him?

But he doesn't want to do that either. Or can't - physically. Who knows.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

If Dave wants to do solo work then do solo material... he's got 6 solo albums plus the Bar-B-Q, John5 and several singles worth of material to dick-around with.

EEAS won't reunite... they couldn't even pull off a one-off gig at this phase. Plus, no one from that band is interested or capable of organizing such a venture.

Live "In the studio" is not fucking Live. It's Dave, a cover band, an engineer and the janitor... If this is Dave's way of carrying on the legacy of Van Halen or the highlight of his Van Halen career... sorry Pal, half-assed doesn't cut it. The legacy stands on it's own without this watered down crap. Go big... or get a new dog and stay home... Enjoy retirement.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                I always like to go see Cheap Trick when I can and every time without fail Robin Zander always sounds great. He's no spring chicken and those guys are always on the road. That's a lot of singing. I don't know how his does it.
                                The last I'd heard of Zander live was maybe...7 years ago. He was no spring chicken then, either, but his voice had held up very well.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...