Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Talking GEORGE LYNCH: DON DOKKEN 'Is Just A Piece Of S**t' - May 20, 2011

Rob Cavuoto of Guitar International has just conducted an interview with legendary guitarist George Lynch (DOKKEN, LYNCH MOB, SOULS OF WE). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Guitar International: I really thought the reunion [of the classic DOKKEN lineup] was going to happen when you went on Eddie Trunk's "That Metal Show". I assumed, as most fans, that this was a done deal.

George Lynch: I feel like a fool because I got played again for the last fucking time! Like an idiot I went along with it but looking back I see what he was really doing. He was blowing wind in his sails by creating the impression that there was a reunion pending. That people were going to wake up and pay attention, that his guarantees were going to go up, and people are going to show up to his shows thinking I'm in the band. If we did reunite we would all be working for him. He's a miserable guy and he will stay miserable in his own skin. I wouldn't want to have 100 million dollars and live in that guy's brain and skin. He is just a piece of shit.Guitar International: I'm not sure Don has a lot of credibility these days and think most fans realize that.

George Lynch: When the band was intact, he had to maintain a certain level of professionalism. He had to maintain his voice, his behavior and what he said. He didn't like that. He is a very lazy person. He doesn't have a good work ethic and he surrounds himself with himself. He will never be happy. What he will never get, and I told him, it's not about the money and success, though you want people to hear the music. It's about giving the fans something they would like and enjoy. It's not about you, we are just the conduits. It comes through us but it's not about us. He doesn't get it. When musicians start to take themselves too seriously that's when it gets ugly in believing all the hype. My heroes are blue-collar people that work for a living. Not assholes like him who take credit for shit they don't do and expect everything handed to them on a silver platter. Have some respect for the people who are paying your bills.

Read more at Guitar International.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    ... assholes like him who expect everything handed to them on a silver platter

I saw them at a small club in San Diego when Reb Beach was playing with them. We got there early & actually got to hang with Mick Brown for about 10-15 minutes (got him to autograph a dollar bill). My 2 buddies went back & talked with Reb.

Don would arrive just before curtain time in a private limo and not socialize with anyone.

The rest of the band, crew, etc...all came on the bus or in cabs from the hotel. Basically Don is the king and everyone else, including the fans and the band are all his subjects. Everyone is to be graced by his awesome presence....yep, even the band.

The guy is a pure tool. His voice has always been too feminine for hard rock. I remember watching Dio's Hear N Aid special and all the singers recording their parts. Dio kept telling Don to sing it more fierce. "Dude, we are singing about a harsh subject...your voice needs to reflect that & be more harsh". This aint no sissy love song is basically what Dio was telling him....just in Dio's nice way.

Funny thing about how Don Dokken thinks of himself as some high & mighty rock God. If he were in a room with the top 20 rock singers...he would be the 21st most important guy there and 17 of the 20 other guys wouldn't even know who the fuck he was unless he explained.

"I'm Don Dokken...of Dokken. I sang Dream Warriors for Nightmare on Elm Street part 27. I opened for Twisted Sister for Christs sake!"

"mmmm...kinda sounds familiar. Keep going"

"I wrote the album Under Lock And Key....."

"ummm"

"with George Lynch"

"Oh hell yeah! George Lynch rules! I love that guy. You were the singer for his band? How did he come up with the name Dokken anyways? Just cause it rhymes with Rockin?"

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to sadaist for this KICKASS post:

Jagermeister (05-20-2011),jhale667 (05-21-2011)

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    If he were in a room with the top 20 rock singers...he would be the 21st most important guy there and 17 of the 20 other guys wouldn't even know who the fuck he was unless he explained.
    Nice!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Don Dokken was definitely born with horseshoe up his ass.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I love Don to death and i think he has a tremendous voice. I buy any new Dokken to this day. However, i must say that he doesn't sound like a very nice guy. According to Don's response, Jeff Pilson couldn't get out of his Foreigner gig for the next few years and didn't want to ruin it. I don't blame him. I'm sure Foreigner to this day can still draw a decent crowd whereas Dokken, even with the original lineup, would have to open for someone on a big show or just play clubs. Now if George expected Dokken to play without Jeff and there was an agreement to that, i don't blame him for being pissed at Don. If Jeff speaks on it we will know for sure.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Lynch was/is/ and will always be the only good thing about Dokken.Period!

I can see it now.....................Dokken opening up for Pretty boy Floyd

8. Thanked Diamondjimi for this KICKASS post:

TFM_Dale (05-20-2011)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh man, Pretty Boy Floyd. There's a reason hair metal had to die.

I now have 'I Wanna Be With You' in my head.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Even at their biggest commerical peak in the 1980s, Dokken was still in the opening band slot. A bit of a shame, too, since Lynch was/is such a stellar guitarist...overall, though, Dokken's material was kinda run-of-the-mill for me; spectacular solos and some good guitar riffs and hooks, but precious few of the tunes managed to nudge against those sometimes intangible (yet easy to identify once heard) timeless qualities. Very much "of their time"...and, yes, Don Dokken never had a really distinctive voice. I mean, the guy could sing in key, but a very limited range coupled with very limited lyric writing abilities.

Don't think Lynch rejoining the band or not would make THAT much of a difference in terms of present day concert attendances. That motherfucker CAN play, though...no doubt about that.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Formulaic is the word that springs to mind, but maybe that is too harsh. I've certainly always found Dokken to be plodding.

12. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-09-2013)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Again...only Dokken song that ever worked for me..... Because I planned on reaching Paris someday....and I did.

Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-21-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: The "Cry" at :53-55 got me to listen to the rest.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

Breaking the Chains is the only one I know.

Reb Beach is no slouch.

The best lynch I've heard comes from those guitar teaching vids that used to happen in the early nineties that had 3 or 4 guys sharing some technique or an outtake from an album type solo. Lynch provided some ferocious outtake stuff from his Lynch Mob material.

15. Thanked ThrillsNSpills for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-21-2011)

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

I booked DOKKEN a couple of months ago [with Mick Brown still in the band at least] and I turned down booking Lynchmob.....

I'll say this, and take it for what it's worth...

Don was pretty much a prick backstage, BUT he was very engaging and cool to the crowd which was about 800 people.

3 nights before I went to see Lynchmob at a friend's venue, and there was 125 people and George never bothered to look up at the audience or engage them in the slightest....

I, too was told by a certain agent that a reunion was in the works.....

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Last time I saw Lynch Mob was at a theater in Pasadena where they were taping ABC's In Concert in 1991. Also on the bill was Little Ceasar, Roxette, and a couple of other acts. I brought my tape deck in and recorded almost all the acts. Will have to transfer this to CD someday...

Saw Dokken once with the original lineup, opeing for Priest in June of 1986 in Norman, OK.

Then saw the lineup with Reb Beach in Wichita, KS in the late 90s (my best friend's band opened). Jeff Pilson, Reb Beach and Mick Brown were all cool, and yes, Don did not show up until just before showtime. To top it off, halfway through the set he said he was going to let Jeff sing a song or two because he had a cold. Fucking idiot. All through the set he was drinking booze and smoking cigarettes. The highlight of the evening for me was getting to talk to Reb, as I had always admired his playing. And the show was a reminder of what a monster drummer Mick Brown is.

I really don't give a fuck about Don one way or the other, as I was never a real fan of Dokken to begin with. I always did dig George's guitar playing though, and I wore out the first Lynch Mob album.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-21-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Always was a huge Lynch fan...I saw Dokken open for Dio as a kid in '84, then again for Priest in 86, and on the Monsters of Rock tour in Pontiac Michigan of all places in '88...Van Hagar headlined, and I remember thinking how much they were lacking w/o Dave. But Dokken was always a solid band. Dug Lynch Mob too, Oni Logan kicks ass.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Formulaic is the word that springs to mind, but maybe that is too harsh. I've certainly always found Dokken to be plodding.
    Nah, I think you've got it right.

Solid (if not spectacular) band with average-to-decent tunes and a great guitar player.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Always was a huge Lynch fan...I saw Dokken open for Dio as a kid in '84, then again for Priest in 86, and on the Monsters of Rock tour in Pontiac Michigan of all places in '88...Van Hagar headlined, and I remember thinking how much they were lacking w/o Dave. But Dokken was always a solid band. Dug Lynch Mob too, Oni Logan kicks ass.
    I was at the same Van Hagar show

Dokken was an OK band.........Lynch was a fucking monster and really the only reason I ever listened to that band.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Yeah, I saw Dokken at Van Hagars Monsters of Rock. The problem was the majority of the 82,000 people didn't pay much mind to them as everyone was trying to recover from Metallica melting all our faces off. Scorpions came after Dokken and it wasn't until their set that people began to get their second wind. Dokken was the recovery intermission between Metallica & Scorpions.

I only really remember Mr Scary from the show....and it sounded good from what I remember.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember Lynch sounding better than everyone except Edward that night in Seattle. He blew me away, despite it being Dokken

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    I love Don to death and i think he has a tremendous voice. I buy any new Dokken to this day. However, i must say that he doesn't sound like a very nice guy. According to Don's response, Jeff Pilson couldn't get out of his Foreigner gig for the next few years and didn't want to ruin it. I don't blame him. I'm sure Foreigner to this day can still draw a decent crowd whereas Dokken, even with the original lineup, would have to open for someone on a big show or just play clubs. Now if George expected Dokken to play without Jeff and there was an agreement to that, i don't blame him for being pissed at Don. If Jeff speaks on it we will know for sure.

Pilson always seemed to me a good person, and he can sing! Lol Did not know what a good singer he was until he left Dokken. Good Call.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ergo:

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFlamma View Post
    I remember Lynch sounding better than everyone except Edward that night in Seattle. He blew me away, despite it being Dokken
    Lynch killed everyone that night in Pontiac (uh, actually they played in the afternoon, right after Kingdom Clone...I mean Come IIRC , but that's not surprising given the era. And yeah, I will admit to as a kid fast forwarding through some Dokken songs to get to the guitar solo...

Pilson is a cool dude, and yes - can sing his ass off - as good if not way better singer than Don IMO....

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2013 @ 11:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Shoot.... i love some of the stuff Dokken wrote and recorded...but after Lynch went and did Lynch Mob wow just mind blowing wicked sensation and the self titled album are just spectacular those albums just show how much he held back his talent with Dokken. I rather see Lynch rejoin with Robert Mason than Don anyday of the week the guy could actually sing live and make it sound like the actual album as for Don well.... i met lynch back in 09' the guy is such a humble and sweet guy the guy would get bombarded with fans and even let me come back and let me retake a picture with him even when he looked like he had his hands full. I saw the most nerdy fans annoy the crap out of him but he was still friendly, so i will take his word over Dons any day...Dokken is nothing anymore Lynch Mob was ten times what Dokken was even with the two main albums they had i just wish he started Lynch Mob in the early 80s and not when the music scene died to grunge..

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I love George's tone and technique but Dokken started to sound dated. I just don't feel it like I did 25 years ago.

I decided to liquidate some CDs because the collection was getting too large to handle, so....

Got rid of Tooth and Nail, kept Night Ranger Midnight Madness and Def Leppard Pyromania
    Got rid of Under Lock and Key, kept Queensryche Rage for Order and House of Lords
    Kept Back for the Attack and Beast from the East.

A good trip down memory lane while driving lonely Hwy 50 last week was Queensryche Operation Mindcrime

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I think by the time they were recording 'Back for the Attack' Dokken and Lynch were sending tapes to each other during the writing process because they couldn't stand to be in the same room as each other. Considering that then they did pretty well.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    This thread is like 1985 never went away!

30. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-09-2013)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Fine with me. 1985 was actually a good year. Gee. My health insurance was only $30 a semester then.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    This thread is like 1985 never went away!
    I was banging your mom back in the 80's, that's why I can't have sexual relations with you. I said No Kristy!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Shithead.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Yeah, I saw Dokken at Van Hagars Monsters of Rock. The problem was the majority of the 82,000 people didn't pay much mind to them as everyone was trying to recover from Metallica melting all our faces off. Scorpions came after Dokken and it wasn't until their set that people began to get their second wind. Dokken was the recovery intermission between Metallica & Scorpions.

I only really remember Mr Scary from the show....and it sounded good from what I remember.
    A very succinct summary. This is also how I remember it.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Same here. If I had a hot tub time machine set to revisit the day I saw the Hamsters Of Rock tour, I'd buzz in for Metallica, who tore shit up that day, then buzz the hell out.

36. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-09-2013)

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

George is badass. Always loved this tune. Shitty quality video but the sound is good.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It always felt to me that Don Dokken really wasn't suited to sing hard rock. His voice was just too thin and bland: no balls. Listening to him sing, I've always had the impression that he was uncomfortable in the genre he was in...that he'd be more comfortable singing in a straight-up pop band, because his vocal tone is too manginaesque.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Tooth & Nail & Back For the Attack are great albums. But I'll take the Lynch Mob albums anyday. Got too see George up close twice in a club. He got so close too our faces playing the Tooth & Nail solo we were moving our heads back !! Meet him after. Cool guy ! So was Mick Brown.

Thread Information