Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

But I'm not expecting much. From either Roth or Van Halen going forward. They aren't in a situation where they have to prove anything anymore to anybody in terms of packing venues. No manager is going to breathe any sense of fire or purpose in these guys in terms of doing anything beyond what they have self-limited themselves to doing, which is a periodic nostalgia trip.

I'd like to hear a brand new album, with all the material created from scratch. Even if they don't tour it. Even if it takes them a few years to create it. Shit, it takes them 3 + years between greatest hits tours now, so a few years for a new album...whatever. As long as I'm still around to hear it, I'll buy a new Van Halen album with Roth. Without even previewing any of it in advance.

I don't really know as Roth has a solo career to go back to at this point. An EEAS reunion? Meh. If Dave isn't getting the job done with Van Halen, I don't see him getting it done with the 1986 EEAS band, the members of whom have held up much better physically and in terms of playing ability than Eddie Van Halen has. I think, if anything, an EEAS reunion would only illustrate Roth's wane even MORE than a Van Halen tour (let's be frank: Eddie - considering the years of self abuse he has heaped upon himself - only has to perform adequately these days to be considered doing great...he gets points for still being vertical).
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry

Exactly right that by the time 2012 rolled around, Roth took a step backward. Because he could? Dunno. Problems with the "onstage blowers" (lack of backstage blowers?)? Dunno. Awful vocals ever since. Fixable? Perhaps.
      I still think he was sick much of that tour...

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        I still think he was sick much of that tour...
        I made that mental concession at the time, because he didn't have a good night in Tampa 2012: he was basically 50/50, and even that is probably being a little kind on my part. To be sure, anybody can have an off night, and if a singer is sick it's not as easy for the singer to play through that as, say, a bass player.

But he didn't get any better after that tour. The Tokyo Dome recordings were...clearly not doctored post-performance, and one wishes maybe they had been. I saw 3 full 2015 gigs online prior to tickets going on sale for my area, and it was more of the same from Dave. And these recent one-off solo appearances he has done...he's just getting worse to my ears. Like I said: Paul Lynde wardrobe choices, lack of hair, hammy Wacky Uncle Dave between song patter...I'm used to that from him. But if those three things are all he has left in his arsenal - if he can't just sing the tunes properly - I dunno…

Am I asking too much? Am I just being pissy about it? Should I just take a pill, chill out, be happy he is still around and go to the shows even when his vocals sound bad to me? Am I taking it all too seriously? Should I just not give a shit and enjoy whatever is left of it?
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• diamondclaudio
          Roadie
          • Jan 2004

I think Van Halen has recorded a new album. They have finished( or almost) more than a year ago. Wolfie has finished his solo album. They will tour next year- a full blast reunion- ( original line up). Wolfie and his friends will open for them. And that`s it!!! ( remeber that bald- head performance with Dave G, it was pre-tour).-
          So: get ready. The great final is coming soon!!!

Comment

• diamondclaudio
            Roadie
            • Jan 2004

P.S.: and yes, Dave still will do some jumpings, dancing and movings. He got pretty much left in the tank for this one!!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              Yeah the lack of athleticism was inevitable... surprised Dave can even walk considering all the drum riser splits jumps, flying drop kicks, etc... that he pulled off shit-faced and didn't actually destroy his knees, hips and spine.

I keep returning to the quality of Dave's performances during the 2007/2008 tour... I think physically he could still perform at that level. It was busy enough to be visually entertaining.

Vocally... Dave needs to go do another Bluegrass record. Whatever he did to prepare for that album forced him to improve his vocal performance exponentially which shined during the 07/08 tour... more so than even any of his live singing performances 10-15 years prior. By the time they got back on tour in 2012 Dave had reverted back to his previous phone it in performance style.

Now about this new bleached, crew-cut look...
              Dave is still smoking. Not good for the voice and he didn't have a great natural singing voice to begin with. As far as fitness goes considering heavy cocaine and alcohol use he's in great shape considering. I think he avoided injuring himself by having mats placed on the stage to land on. Look at the old stage photos and you will see there are mats under the stage veneer right where Roth would land after jumping from the riser. He also stretched himself out good before going on stage. The injuries come from sudden jars and hammering the joints and not properly warming up and stretching yourself out. Noel Monk said Dave was pretty disciplined on doing those things.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                I made that mental concession at the time, because he didn't have a good night in Tampa 2012: he was basically 50/50, and even that is probably being a little kind on my part. To be sure, anybody can have an off night, and if a singer is sick it's not as easy for the singer to play through that as, say, a bass player.

But he didn't get any better after that tour. The Tokyo Dome recordings were...clearly not doctored post-performance, and one wishes maybe they had been. I saw 3 full 2015 gigs online prior to tickets going on sale for my area, and it was more of the same from Dave. And these recent one-off solo appearances he has done...he's just getting worse to my ears. Like I said: Paul Lynde wardrobe choices, lack of hair, hammy Wacky Uncle Dave between song patter...I'm used to that from him. But if those three things are all he has left in his arsenal - if he can't just sing the tunes properly - I dunno…

Am I asking too much? Am I just being pissy about it? Should I just take a pill, chill out, be happy he is still around and go to the shows even when his vocals sound bad to me? Am I taking it all too seriously? Should I just not give a shit and enjoy whatever is left of it?
                Dave is a good bullshitter. Maybe he should run for political office. He still can grab ass and party. He would fit in well in most state capitals and Washington DC.

Comment

• wiseguy
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Feb 2004

6DF5ED0F-74A1-4A42-959E-9949A4BA34BC.jpeg

Looks good to me!!Like fine wine, he only gets better.
                  Stay frosty now.
                  Nostalgia is a form of denial. I love denial. I like selective amnesia, too. Mix the two and you've got a hell of a weekend-DLR

Comment

• Heater
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                    Does this look like a sad picture of old age..?

No, just an old and creepy lookin’ has been standing next to some models he paid to stand next to him. Dave is a lot like that Pauly Shore......the tighter he holds on to his past glory days, the sadder he looks.......

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I actually dig his current look. Of course he's old, they can't all choke to death on their vomit, or shoot smack and OD in a Paris bar restroom stall before they're 35 and remain young forever. He looks like a cool older man and knows his limits, but still has a good time...

I don't have to relive being 14/18/21/30 forever vicariously through my rock star idols...
                      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

At 64, he looks a heck of a lot better than a lot of folks much younger... Dave and the swimsuit models were all paid to be there and look pretty by the promoter. That's what people in the entertainment industry do.

I have no desire to relive 14/18/21... the dues were paid and life went on!!
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• src
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Dec 2008

Yeah but i bet he can still get the pussy.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I dont get all the hate regarding Dave's vocals.

Aside from a little more yelping - shit he's been doing since YFLM - his vocal delivery hasn't been all that different since then. While I do agree he was singing good on the 07-08 tour - again not very different. Sure the squeals and screams are long gone and they were gone in 07-08 as well, with exception to the odd classic scream here and there.

So all this hating on Dave these days I dont understand. Perhaps its the culture of hating. Lol

His singing on California Girls at this event was actually pretty good.

Want to really hear a singer actually struggle to get through a song? Check out Paul Stanley these days.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              I actually dig his current look. Of course he's old, they can't all choke to death on their vomit, or shoot smack and OD in a Paris bar restroom stall before they're 35 and remain young forever. He looks like a cool older man and knows his limits, but still has a good time...

I don't have to relive being 14/18/21/30 forever vicariously through my rock star idols...
                              I think Dave looks like Bob Barker when Bob got grey. The only question I have is who got more ass? Dave in Van Halen or Bob on the Price is Right?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

I find it amazing all the original members of VH are not only alive but seem to be rather healthy. Them boys drank a lot of booze, snorted a lot of coke, and smoked a lot of cigarettes, and stuck their dicks in contaminated holes. Still around and can still play. Dave isn't on oxygen being rolled around in a vegetable state.

Comment

Working...