• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • if6was9
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Calderone
    You meant it's typical for those now-aging rock singers, you are wrong
    They always did that back in the 70's , i think you didn't read what i post they do that because if they sing the same thing over and over after 100 or more gigs its get boring ! that's why !
    I read what you had posted. And I 100% agree. Singers get bored and start to sing old songs another (thay think "better") way. But when they get older, they simply lose "it" and new, sophistocated versions just don't work. I've heard it so many times that I believe it's sort of inevitable.
    Last edited by if6was9; 01-08-2012, 05:41 PM.
    Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• Calderone
      Commando
      • Jan 2004

You are right with the "they think "better" way , sometimes its better , sometimes its not , personally , i don't like the 94pitch on the classic songs , at all ! but its a killer on Can't get this stuff no more !
      or maybe Night life !

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Get any boot from the 2007-2008 tour. NO....Dave was not singing perfect there either. HOWEVER, he was putting a lot more effort into singing everything than he did in the 1978-85 time frame. He is older, wiser, and knows what works for his voice.

IF YOU WANT PERFECTION GO LISTEN TO A STUDIO ALBUM.
        And EVEN IN A STUDIO SETTING, did Dave sing everything to absolute "perfection" on the studio records? NO!

Tell, me Dopie, when Dave said "Ohhhh I think the clock is slow...." on the 1984 album, was his diction perfect? Did he SPEAK those words PERFECTLY and ON KEY?

Get over it. One thing you must learn: Studio and live are two different things. Period. In the studio you can take 3 days to get a single line perfect. You are rested, relaxed, in a studio with expensive recording gear. Hell there is even AutoTune these days.

Live.....the singer is (hopefully) performing for the crowd, walking or running around the stage...possibly out of breath, may or may not be in good health (try singing with larnygitis), may or may not be under the influence of drugs/alcohol, is NOT in a controlled studio environment, but in a venue that more often than not sounds crummy because it was not made for audio performance, with a different sound coming through the monitors every night, etc.

Need I go on?

Well, I will just say two more words on this subject:

ROB HALFORD

Rob Halford IS the Metal God.....a vocalist that nobody else has even been able to touch. His vocal abilities were (in the day) on the level of any opera star. A range that was unmatched by most mortal vocalists.

Guess what?

In LIVE PERFORMANCE, he was frequently off key, his timing was not bad but sometimes was off, and in general, despite his jaw-dropping performances, his delivery was NOT as perfect as the performance on the studio albums.

You want perfection? Go listen to a computer.

Dave knows his voice. We know his voice.

But his voice is only one small part of the package. He is the GREATEST Frontman in rock and roll. He has ATTITUDE. A NECESSARY AND VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIENT FOR ANY ROCK VOCALIST/FRONTMAN.

Would you like to see some idiot stand on stage....perfectly still....singing perfectly...absolutely boring....or see someone who is an ENTERTAINER, even when they are not the greatest vocalist, who can get the audience eating out of the palm of his hand?

You have the nerve to expect to complain about Dave's vocals in a club gig here and not have a bunch of us jump on you? Are you nuts?

Ok....I am done beating the dead horsie.
        Last edited by Hardrock69; 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
          Dunno about the rest, but Sneezy had this to say...

Dude...WHO IS THAT?

I am mesmerized......I have been sitting here watching this for 5 minutes....looks like it was from some kind of awards show or something.....I don't recognize who that is, but I GOTS TO KNOW!
          Last edited by Hardrock69; 01-08-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
            Dude...WHO IS THAT?
            Her name is Margaret Nolan. The clip is from a film called Carry On Girls (nah, me neither), but she also appeared in Goldfinger as Bond's masseuse Dink. She was quite a number, back in the day.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• if6was9
              Head Fluffer
              • Mar 2007

Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• chi-town324
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Feb 2007

i thought Dave sounded better than ever on the last tour.....maybe grumpy would be happy if he lip synced the entire show

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  Her name is Margaret Nolan. The clip is from a film called Carry On Girls (nah, me neither), but she also appeared in Goldfinger as Bond's masseuse Dink. She was quite a number, back in the day.
                  Ahh I thought it was Daphne from Frazier...

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Dayum Craig.....glad you know who it is....I was expecting you to say something like "I dunno...just found the clip".

Yes, James' masseuse in Goldfungus.....and he was flirting with her just like he did with all the other bitches, lol.

Man...she is smoking hot!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Dude...there are naked pictures of her on the net!

Won't post in this thread. But WOW!

Dude.....Picture-palooza.....

Comment

• Hummarstra
                        Commando
                        • Feb 2004

Look, Dave has lost a lot of his singing skills, but let's not ruin everybody's fun here. I know exactly what dopie is saying but this tour is more of a celebration of VH's legacy than anything else. So, let it be.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                          Dude...there are naked pictures of her on the net!

Won't post in this thread. But WOW!

Dude.....Picture-palooza.....
                          Damn! I simply went to Photobucket for the image, as I was trying to save time while watching football. If I'd gone where I normally do for pictures (Google Image), my mind would have been blown, distracting me further and sidetracking me from bothering to post!

Thanks for the heads-up!

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• pkolb
                            Groupie
                            • Jun 2004

Last edited by pkolb; 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Calderone
                              Commando
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hummarstra
                              Look, Dave has lost a lot of his singing skills, but let's not ruin everybody's fun here. I know exactly what dopie is saying but this tour is more of a celebration of VH's legacy than anything else. So, let it be.
                              I don't think he has lost em , his voice has changed , and changed around 92-94 , i cannot tell you what exactly happend but it changed a lot , maybe he got vocal lessons
                              and that affected his voice ...who knows , he only knows . but that was the time when he lost the classic scream , he still has it but it's "hidden" , he tries it from time to time
                              but i think he should try it more !

He tried a lot in this 99 performance at the beggining but he switched to his "james brown whistle" , at 3:03 he tried the classic scream
                              but its clearly "hidden"

He did it a lot here specially on the beggining ...but this is the way the classic scream is now : check 3:03 as well !

"RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL". HARTFORD CT. 8-23-2002. THE BAND: DAVID LEE ROTH - VOCALS & ACOUSTIC GUITAR. BRIAN YOUNG - LEAD GUITAR. RAY LUZIER - DRUMS. JAMES L...
                              Last edited by Calderone; 01-08-2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2005

Yeah Craig. Back in the 60s she was posing NAKED, not just 'topless'.

Comment

Working...