X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Not a Kurzweil 250 to be found on eBay or Reverb. I shoulda bought that one that the local music store had 15 years ago...
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Heater
      Foot Soldier
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rikk
      Yes, my very dear friend...not only Dave but band employees have completely confirmed that the band had a film crew following them for a few dates on the WACF tour and at least a few shows were filmed/recorded. I think there might be a pic or two out there confirming a show or two with film cameras visible on-stage. They filmed on-stage AND off-stage antics of this amazing band at an early peak, on the road in America and living the rock 'n' roll life in their mid-20s. If they somehow found this footage and proper multi-tracks, it would be the holy grail...possibly even more-so than the Oakland '81 footage. But who knows if it still exists? Ed built his studio in '83. But he was still a drunk...and he didn't have the best personal management. So who knows if he really put out the effort to dig up and locate all the old multi-tracks and footage that was already floating around before 5150 was built. He just never struck me as someone who had the prolific & organized nature Frank Zappa had with his vaults.

Fuck...this whole vault topic needs its own thread, methinks. I might get on that later.
      Wasn't that just a couple of guys with old prop cameras that they brought out on stage to hype the crowd? I seriously doubt there is a bunch of lost footage from this era.

Comment

• Heater
        Foot Soldier
        • Nov 2010

Channelling your inner AOC "the world is ending" nonsense. Sorry about Bernoe but let it go.....

Comment

• Heater
          Foot Soldier
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by FORD
          Eddie's "10 years worth of material" probably consists of raw riffs which might have turned into songs, given the proper process, but now that's not going to happen, for obvious reasons. The VDIII album was evidence that Ed needed a partner who did more than just write lyrics, he needed to help Eddie shape the riffs into an actual song structure. Cherone couldn't or wouldn't do this, at least not on that record. I don't know enough about Extreme to know what the songwriting process was between him & Nuno, so I can't speculate as to whether or not the songs on that second aborted Van Danniels record would have had a more coherent structure.

DLR was able to turn Eddie's riffs into masterpieces. Hagar was able to turn them into.... well, at least they were properly constructed songs, even if many of them were drowned in Velveeta.

So while Eddie's "10 years of riffs" might be interesting to listen to, as a fan, should they ever leak out, I doubt very much that they're in any sort of actual song structures. And therefore, it's nothing like the huge backlog of complete or nearly completed material that Hendrix or Prince had stashed away. Which actually sucks, because it wouldn't have been a bad thing to have "new" Van Halen records released up to 2060 - assuming any human life still exists on Earth by then.
          Still with the AOC/Bernie hysteria I see.

Comment

• Heater
            Foot Soldier
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by FORD
            Ironic that Ted Templeman didn't like "Jump" or Eddie's use of synthesizers, since he also produced the Doobie Brothers, and had no problem with what Michael McDonald did to them, which was pretty much the equivalent of Hagarization.
            So, did Hagar rape you or something? Or not rape you or something?

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

What kind of drugs is Bleater on tonight? This is the most incoherent I've ever seen this poor sheep...
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Heater
                Wasn't that just a couple of guys with old prop cameras that they brought out on stage to hype the crowd? I seriously doubt there is a bunch of lost footage from this era.
                In 1985 VH had 16 reels of 24 track audio from the Oakland 81 shows based on inventory sheets from Pacific Titles Archives that were stored there. No reason to believe there isn't video also stored from those shows either there or elsewhere...
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Spammy made Eddie a boat fuck of money. Sure, those the Spammy days were filled with some of the most mediocre 80's shit ever to be recorded and in a way, Spammy saved Van Halen so a lot of you with your weird, fucked-up homoerotic obsession you have for Roth could continue under the radar.

Oh, by the way, you cretins:

The Eddie Van Halen funeral will reportedly take place in the next few weeks, we’ve learned from VHLinks’ Right-Here-I-Say from a family source, who also says the legendary guitarist will be cremated. Eddie Van Halen’s rumored last call with David Lee Roth was recently detailed.

Weeks? To cremate a body? Is the L.A. County Morgue backlogged? Even so where are they going to spread the ashes? Oh, I know, at Eddie's local AA chapter. Gawd bless.

Comment

• lc317
                    Roth Army Recruit
                    • Oct 2020

Hey all. Used to post on this forum about 15-17 years ago, no idea what my handle was but was more of a lurker anyway so no big whoop. Found this forum in an old set of bookmarks and so glad it is still here and around, good shit.

Anyhow, turned 50 year and what a piece of shit these last 10 months have been, good lord. Yeah death is a part of life yadda yadda yadda, but I suppose there's just been a little "too much" life these last 6 months, I don't know.

First you turn 50 and are officially old and realize the world is rapidly changing; then some of your heroes from your life start dying off - first with Neil Peart and now with Ed.

Van Halen was always such a fucking constant, a band and sound of strength, a conduit to my youth of growing up in California in the 70s-80s. Now it's all just a blip in history, as we usher in the new age of technology, staying at home and away from people in the piece of shit political climate we are currently in.

Anyhow, glad this place is still and hope you are all holding up ok!
                    Last edited by lc317; 10-12-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by lc317
                      Hey all. Used to post on this forum about 15-17 years ago, no idea what my handle was but was more of a lurker anyway so no big whoop. Found this forum in an old set of bookmarks and so glad it is still here and around, good shit.

Anyhow, turned 50 year and what a piece of shit these last 10 months have been, good lord. Yeah death is a part of life yadda yadda yadda, but I suppose there's just been a little "too much" life these last 6 months, I don't know.

First you turn 50 and are officially old and realize the world is rapidly changing; then some of your heroes from your life start dying off - first with Neil Peart and now with Ed.

Van Halen was always such a fucking constant, a band and sound of strength, a conduit to my youth of growing up in California in the 70s-80s. Now it's all just a blip in history, as we usher in the new age of technology, staying at home and away from people in the piece of shit political climate we are currently in.

Anyhow, glad this place is still and hope you are all holding up ok!
                      It's the most action this place has seen in a decade....

Welcome back..
                      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Rolling Stone just released a podcast on the life of Eddie Van Halen. Basically told me what I already knew: that Van Halen were a limp-wristed Montrose cover band.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Here's the vid they were talking about

Comment

• SuchGoodPhotog
                            Roth Army Recruit
                            • Jun 2020

Thanks! Great video.

2:40-3:15 are the tapes, and Ed saying the only person that can archive it is him- but because it's about his taste, of course.

PS- around 4min, i had that "Flying Eddies" poster on my wall, friend took it from a magazine and gave it to me. Was under my light switch. Saw it every time i walked in/out my room
                            "Look, i'll pay you for it"

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Rolling Stone just released a podcast on the life of Eddie Van Halen. Basically told me what I already knew: that Van Halen were a limp-wristed Montrose cover band.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000494491127
                              If your intention is to be controversial, at least make a statement that isn't drenched in ignorance. Montrose was a good band and Ronnie Montrose was a killer guitarist. But he wasn't on the same level as Ed, nor was Montrose as a band on the same level as Van Halen. FACT!

I'd suggest you go get your vibrator and a bowl of buttered popcorn and sit down and watch the Largo bootleg. Since I doubt even the VH show will be enough to lubricate that old krusty snatch of yours, the butter from the popcorn will help. I promise, you'll be tingling all over in no time.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Shut up, Karen.

Comment

Working...