Marshall YJM100: An Yngwie signature Marshall?? Seriously!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
    Thought the same thing when I read the specs... Add that to the list of things to check out at NAMM...

Dude, are you at the F.R.U. booth?
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
      I followed the autobiasing for a bit on the Slash model, the amp designer Santiago says it can use any tubes. EL34, 6L6, KT77, etc etc. It brings up the current to where it needs to be and plug and play.
      That's pretty cool. EL34s and 6L6s have a different pin configurations so you have to resolder some tube socket connections to switch between tube types. They must have an auto switching setup and then an servo pot that adjusts for the plate voltage flow. With modern electronics all this could be done but I've never heard of anyone doing it yet. You basically have a simple computer some sensors and auto adjustments.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Etienne
        Commando
        • Aug 2010

... 6. Built-in, infinitely Attenuator control which can take the output stage from 100% to 0.01% and anywhere in-between, while retaining the all-important tone and feel of the all-valve power section. This means the output power can be reduced to a staggering low of 0.05 Watts when in 50W power mode. ...
        Great Feature...

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
          Sniper
          • Oct 2009

Looks like a pretty decent amp... will definitely give it a try if it comes into the local guitar store...
          Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
            Dude, are you at the F.R.U. booth?

I will be part of the FU mob, yes...
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Etienne
              Great Feature...
              It needs a pull out clit buzzer and martini shaker and it would have all the essential features.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• indeedido
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

It comes with a trailer to carry the massive ego and donuts in.
                This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  That's pretty cool. EL34s and 6L6s have a different pin configurations so you have to resolder some tube socket connections to switch between tube types. They must have an auto switching setup and then an servo pot that adjusts for the plate voltage flow. With modern electronics all this could be done but I've never heard of anyone doing it yet. You basically have a simple computer some sensors and auto adjustments.
                  there is a trimmer on the back that allows you to choose your bias current between 20mA and 50mA per tube.

The autobias is not biasing the amp continuously, it biases it whenever the user wants and otherwise behaves exactly as having trim pots in the amp, the difference being that you won't need any tools to bias the amp.

It can be biased everytime you play and you can mix tube types without any problems.

Install the tubes, select the biasing current with the trimpot on the back (for example 35mA for EL34s) and then hold the FX switch while powering on. Wait approx 3 min and you are ready to go

any octal power tubes apart from 6V6 can be installed safely. You can even mix tube types, for example 2xEL34 with 2xKT88.
                  This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

From Woody Tone:

Whether Yngwie Malmsteen’s playing is your cup ‘o tea or not, one thing can’t be argued: his tone is woody, always has been. A boosted Strat into cranked 50w metal-panel Marshall Mark II heads – schweet!

So when I was tipped to the fact that Yngwie has a new signature Marshall head coming out (thanks Jon!), I assumed it would be a replica of the aforementioned head.

Nope.

It’s a replica (in some way) of a 100w Super Lead…with a Joe Satriani-esque built-in noise gate, as well as boost and reverb, and a built-in attenuator. Okay, not all effects, but WTF?!

Of course all that added-in stuff doesn’t automatically mean “bad” – and with Yngwie’s ears the head no doubt sounds good – but it sure as heck is surprising.

Here’s more on the head, from the Marshall press release:

Based on the power and tone of the “Holy Grail” 1959 Plexi head, the YJM100 offers the ultimate Neo-Classical amp [eye-roll] with the following cutting edge features:

1. Footswitchable* Boost with controls for Volume and Gain on the rear panel.

2. Footswitchable* Noise Gate with rear panel Threshold control.

3. Footswitchable* studio quality Digital Reverb with rear panel Level control.

4. Footswitchable* Series FX Loop.

* A four-way Footcontroller comes supplied with the YJM100, facilitating switching of Booster, Gate, Reverb and FX Loop features. This Footcontroller has been designed using Marshall Amplification’s patented STOMPWARE Technology, allowing the user to connect it to the amp using a standard 1/4″ guitar cable.

5. Half power switch which takes the output power from 100W to 50W when engaged.

6. Built-in, infinitely variable Attenuator control, which can take the output stage from 100% to 0.01% and anywhere inbetween, while retaining the all-important tone and feel of the all-valve power section. This means the output power can be reduced to a staggering low of 0.05 Watts when in 50W power mode. [And I am left to wonder of this is why there's a half-power switch – so someone can play their 0.05-watt Marshall?!]

7. Valve Failure Circuitry: meaning that if one of the output valves develops a fault, a visual indicator on the rear of the amplifier shows which one is working incorrectly. This “roadie friendly feature” will save valuable time getting the amplifier back up and running again, should a valve failure occur. [But don't try this at home, kids!]

8. Self-biasing circuitry to ensure proper power valve operation each time valves are changed. [I like this!]

What We Don’t Know

Note the line above that says the amp is “based on the power and tone of the ‘Holy Grail’ 1959 Plexi head….” Based on. What does that mean?

Does it mean that it’s the same basic circuitry as a Super Lead, with 4xEL34 power tubes? Or does it just use that circuitry as a starting point?

Or does it mean that it uses Super Lead tone as a starting point?

The tubes aren’t specified in the release, but if you stare long enough at the blurry back panel photograph they look like EL34s….
                    Bottom Line

> Will it sound good? Probably.

> Does it make sense? Not sure.

> Will it be expensive? The MSRP isn’t announced yet, might be announced at winter NAMM this month, but for sure it will be several $K.

> What does Yngwie say about it? “Vintage look and sound, with incredible versatility and features. Remember you can’t buy just one!”

“Vintage” and “versatility” don’t exactly go together in amps. But I am digging the idea of a built-in attenuator – if it sounds good.
                    This space for rent.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2004

I will be part of the FU mob, yes...
                      Cool, be sure to Youtube your adventures!
                      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Marshall FAIL.

OK, I'm going to post a NAMM 2011 thread tonight unless I'm too wiped or something ...interesting happens. At which point I will on Saturday. And I'm too wiped to post pics tonight either, but will get around to it. I DID want to share this however:

I went to check these out today, (the YJM, the AFD, the JVM - we wanted to hear them ALL) and the Marshall exhibit was just for show. not a guitar or guitar cable to be had in the entire exhibit. The (albeit rather impressive) wall of Marshall amps of every model you can think of may have well as been dummies. It was like a wank-free zone or something. The only dead-silent booth in the whole Convention Center. Uh , wtf? And I mean, wasn't just little ol' me and a bunch of random dudes, there were names I wont/can't drop here with us, and NADA.

FAIL.

Will try again this afternoon, but so far not so good on checking this out. I DID check out the EVH 5150 III 50-watt mini-head, which is voiced differently from its' 100-watt counterpart, and was VERY pleasantly surprised...
                        Originally posted by conmee
                        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                        Originally posted by eddie78
                        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• indeedido
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2004

Wow, that sounds interesting about the EVH mini head. I feel the gas coming on from NAMM already.
                          This space for rent.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

OK, I'm going to post a NAMM 2011 thread tonight unless I'm too wiped or something ...interesting happens. At which point I will on Saturday. And I'm too wiped to post pics tonight either, but will get around to it. I DID want to share this however:

I went to check these out today, (the YJM, the AFD, the JVM - we wanted to hear them ALL) and the Marshall exhibit was just for show. not a guitar or guitar cable to be had in the entire exhibit. The (albeit rather impressive) wall of Marshall amps of every model you can think of may have well as been dummies. It was like a wank-free zone or something. The only dead-silent booth in the whole Convention Center. Uh , wtf? And I mean, wasn't just little ol' me and a bunch of random dudes, there were names I wont/can't drop here with us, and NADA.

FAIL.

Will try again this afternoon, but so far not so good on checking this out. I DID check out the EVH 5150 III 50-watt mini-head, which is voiced differently from its' 100-watt counterpart, and was VERY pleasantly surprised...
                            Um so why did Marshall even have a god damn booth then? I fI want to see a stack of amps that don't work i'll go to a rock concert.

Comment

• indeedido
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2004

This space for rent.

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

It should be a YJM50...

Yngwie never liked 100 watt heads...

Comment