The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by K-tuna
    I bought the single. I listened to it multiple times. Listening to it now.

Just not enjoying it. I felt the same way with the 30 and 90 second preview. I couldn't quite put my finger on why before, but i have some idea. I WISH i could like it as much as some of you other guys ( or al least talk myself into liking liking like some of you seem to be).

I Love the 6 pack and I've been listening to VH since high school ( I was born in the early 70's ) and I've been waiting for things to go well with the Guys and Dave.

But this tune is uneven. The verses are clever and the Riffs and leads are smooth as hell. Some of the other lyrics are just cheesy ( "swap meet Sally..." really? and some of you are looking to even see what that means because its obscure and outdated ) "show me your/sexy dragon magic" .....ouch.

Also, I really don't need Dave to tell me about the Unions ( their purpose is fine but their leadership are thugs and bullies ) and his politics. ( BTW---this verse wasn't in the preview or else I would've brought it up then and to be fair , I don't wanna hear any musicians, writers, sports figures or actors politics--- I listen to music to get away from that crap).
    You love CVH, you don't want cheesy but you don't want anything about the real world.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

'Everybody wants some
    I want some too
    Everybody needs some
    How about you'.

Cheesy or too political or just right?

Comment

• SNIPER
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

I really love the song and I know the other tunes are gonna smoke. But the video kind of let me down a tad. I can't watch it.

Comment

• K-tuna
        Groupie
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        You love CVH, you don't want cheesy but you don't want anything about the real world.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

'Everybody wants some
        I want some too
        Everybody needs some
        How about you'.

Cheesy or too political or just right?
        Didn't say I loved EVERY little thing about it. But theres no denying CVH has changed modern music and guitar in ways we won't still understand. The fact alone it gave us Dime is worth praising.

Hearing Slammy Hagar say and write the mean shit he has gets him no love in my book , but I won't apologize for digging some riffs Ed did during his time. ( Humans Being and Summer Nights are still some of my fave riffs )
        Last edited by K-tuna; 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM.
        "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
          Commando
          • May 2004

HEADLINE: Rock and Roll in desperate need of adrenaline, hires The Mighty Van Halen to administer the dose! Film at 11.

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I bought the single. I listened to it multiple times. Listening to it now.

Just not enjoying it. I felt the same way with the 30 and 90 second preview. I couldn't quite put my finger on why before, but i have some idea. I WISH i could like it as much as some of you other guys ( or al least talk myself into liking liking like some of you seem to be).

I Love the 6 pack and I've been listening to VH since high school ( I was born in the early 70's ) and I've been waiting for things to go well with the Guys and Dave.

But this tune is uneven. The verses are clever and the Riffs and leads are smooth as hell. Some of the other lyrics are just cheesy ( "swap meet Sally..." really? and some of you are looking to even see what that means because its obscure and outdated ) "show me your/sexy dragon magic" .....ouch.

Also, I really don't need Dave to tell me about the Unions ( their purpose is fine but their leadership are thugs and bullies ) and his politics. ( BTW---this verse wasn't in the preview or else I would've brought it up then and to be fair , I don't wanna hear any musicians, writers, sports figures or actors politics--- I listen to music to get away from that crap).

Also , something about the synths in this make it feel like a leftover Robert Palmer tune ( for better or worse ).

I STILL think strategically, this song being the first release was a bad move...ESPECIALLY because of the good will they got in the press after the Cafe Wha' performance. Yeah , I know this was concrete before the gig, but i woulda scrambled to get STW out there instead.

I still have very high hopes for the rest of the album but this is a b-side at best.

BTW, NO WAY IN HELL does this out shine MWM. ( Still can't believe Im reading that one from some folks ).

let the flaming commence..... :P

M-Kay. That was very well thought out. I am fairly confident that you will find several tunes on the new album that you will like though. And besides they will play a ton of the classics on tour.

Comment

• SNIPER
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

Fucking love this shit!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Didn't say I loved EVERYTHING about it. BUt theres no denying CVH has changed modern music and guitar in ways we won't still understand. the fact alone it gave us Dime is worth praising.
                Ah you're one of those shouty music people.

No you're not going to like this one, may be something else for you on the album though.

Comment

• lesfunk
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

What we are obviously looking at here is a single. The hook is infectious. It's not the best song on the album. She's the Woman is the Old VH. This is New VH. It works it's way in to your brain and next thing you know you're humming then singing the fucking song while making coffee. It's brilliant. It's doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Everybody's talking. Everybody's Laughing. The driveway is full. People are parking on the lawn. Long lost friends are coming through the door. I can smell the Charcoal Grill in the back yard. Beer on ice. Summertime's here babe. Does it seem warm in here to you? Anything left in that bottle?
                  These are Good Times. Damn Good times.
                  http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• K-tuna
                    Groupie
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                    M-Kay. That was very well thought out. I am fairly confident that you will find several tunes on the new album that you will like though. And besides they will play a ton of the classics on tour.
                    Never had a doubt about that, just not feeling this particular tune. Seeing the Cafe' show assures me i'll dig AT LEAST one tune on the album.
                    "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

No you're not going to like this one, may be something else for you on the album though.
                      I'm one of those 'shouty music' people, and I LOVE this.

Music is about emotional content, like any artform.
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• njbill
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Mar 2006

I like it, but it sounds like solo Dave to me. The guitar really isn't driving the song, the lyrics/rhythm section is. I also dont like the production on the chorus it just sounds weird. I wasn't expecting the hot sauce salesman's high harmonys but something a little more natural sounding.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                          What we are obviously looking at here is a single. The hook is infectious. It's not the best song on the album. She's the Woman is the Old VH. This is New VH. It works it's way in to your brain and next thing you know you're humming then singing the fucking song while making coffee. It's brilliant. It's doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Everybody's talking. Everybody's Laughing. The driveway is full. People are parking on the lawn. Long lost friends are coming through the door. I can smell the Charcoal Grill in the back yard. Beer on ice. Summertime's here babe. Does it seem warm in here to you? Anything left in that bottle?
                          These are Good Times. Damn Good times.
                          Brilliant post. Love it.

Can I get an AMEN?
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Jan 2004

Actually, it's "Mousewife to bombshell." M's and B's look similar when spoken. The word momshell makes no sense in context with the song, even for Dave.
                            I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• K-tuna
                              Groupie
                              • Jan 2012

Im one of those " it must kick my ass " music people....whether its Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, Eric Johnson, B.B. King, Sheryl Crow, 'Tallica, Danzig, VR, Corrosion Of Conformity, Anthrax......or ....gasp!!!! .......NICKELBACK ( I defy you to find better produced guitar sounds, even if they have too many sappy love songs) .... if it sounds good, I dig it.

just to be clear.
                              "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• chuckie lee
                                Groupie
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by vinnie velvet
                                brilliant post. Love it.

Can i get an amen?
                                amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...