X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mug
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
    July 19th, 1979. Century II Convention Center in Wichita, KS.

General admission. Waited all day in sweltering heat to get that spot. It was worth it.

SEEN them aug,21 Milwaukee auditorium. Cool!And every tour since.Oshkosh awaits!
    Last edited by mug; 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• mug
      Head Fluffer
      • Mar 2005

Still have all ticket stubs,just not tech savvy to post.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
        Going to get my stubs...

and Vonn...you haven't told everyone about your coffee table book? Are you just showing it to the webbies?
        I just made that up.

He should do it though, no?

Comment

• ffoner
          Full On Cocktard
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
          How about some of the guys from the Van Halen: The Early Years documentary. Reach any of them? Mark Stone?
          Yes, spoke to some of those folks.

Comment

• ffoner
            Full On Cocktard
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Von Halen
            I took my avatar pic in Salina, KS at the Bicentennial Center in 1980.

Awesome. I'm guessing that hall had no AC and it was about a 90 inside.

Comment

• ffoner
              Full On Cocktard
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
              Sounds great I got a few bucks laying around for just such a purchase.

I went to a book store when CFTH book was about a month away from release and the manager didn't know about it, so I got him to oder 15 books hard bound for his store he sold out.

If your book is as good as it sounds I'll do the same.
              Thanks, appreciate it. I was very surprised to learn that Roth's book is out of print.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

We had a thread asking for ticket stubs for what, three months?

Geez....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  We had a thread asking for ticket stubs for what, three months?

Geez....
                  Sorry Va!

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Glad I ignored that "No Cameras" so prominently displayed at the bottom of that 1980 stub!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Von and I were at several of the same VH shows though we did not know each other. I did not make it to the Salina show the next year, though I saw every other show in Wichita except when they came through on the 1984 tour (I was on the road the entire year with a couple of bands).

Thanks, Von, for posting that ticket stub to the Century II show. I lived in a party house in the winter of 1981-82, and someone stole my ticket stubs from 1976 to that point.

Century II is the round building with the turquoise roof:

Anyway, at Century II.....the lines were long. It had sold out really fast, and there were many people hanging outside who had no ticket.

I brought my tape recorder with me. Got inside, only to realize I had left my new batteries out in the car. And if I went out, I would not get let back in, even with my ticket stub.

So I had to suffer, lol.

On the outskirts of Century II's mezzanine, there were all these old ladies sitting in chairs, guarding the doors to keep people from sneaking in.

The fans were so crazed, that some of them were jogging around the mezzanine, so they could suddenly run over and shove a door open.

A dozen people would cram through the door, fighting the little old ladies before they could shut the door. I saw this happen numerous times. People wanted in so bad they would just about do anything.

I bet at least a hundred people blasted through the doors like that without tickets.

Opening band was from Illinois....The Scream. They were VERY lame.

Needless to say, VH came out and totally destroyed the city. This was back when Ed was doing his solo and would take flying leaps at his amp stacks.

As Von can tell ya, it was a fantastic show. Hey Von, if you could post all the other pics from any other Wichita VH show you have, I would very much appreciate it. If nothing else, to save time, just dump them in a zip file or something.
                      I have no photos from the shows I saw in Wichita, except the one you just posted.

Cheers.
                      Last edited by Hardrock69; 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• mug
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Mar 2005

Parking fee .25 lol.Those were the days.Tic prices were great in those days to.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Action taken....

See that ??
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

So just to recap, lol, because I have the stubs here now....I saw them in Seattle in 1978, and in Wichita 1979, 1981, and 1982.

Of course if I had been older and wiser, I would have gone to see them in Tulsa, OKC, Salina, and KC every chance I got.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                              Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by ffoner
                              Thanks, appreciate it. I was very surprised to learn that Roth's book is out of print.
                              One of the members of -The RA- is a South American lady (Katina) she has a pic of her legs or knees or a foot or something ..lol..( kinda hot pic)..and she is pov across the book legs behind the book, and out to a blue sky, while she lazy's on a beach and the CFTH book is, soft cover ...I didn't know it came out in soft cover, I would have bought two.

I proudly display the book on my shelf with my "book collection" as you can tell from my typing skills I have a shelf with 7 books on it..lol.

As you may know from lurking here some of members here are very knowlegable about CVH..I... not so much, more of a super fan with a bad memory.

Saw the first tour summer of 78 both dates in K.C. Hooked from then on.

The "KC Star" newspaper archives, may have some good research material for you.
                              2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                              clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                                Von and I were at several of the same VH shows though we did not know each other. I did not make it to the Salina show the next year, though I saw every other show in Wichita except when they came through on the 1984 tour (I was on the road the entire year with a couple of bands).

Thanks, Von, for posting that ticket stub to the Century II show. I lived in a party house in the winter of 1981-82, and someone stole my ticket stubs from 1976 to that point.

Century II is the round building with the turquoise roof:

Anyway, at Century II.....the lines were long. It had sold out really fast, and there were many people hanging outside who had no ticket.

I brought my tape recorder with me. Got inside, only to realize I had left my new batteries out in the car. And if I went out, I would not get let back in, even with my ticket stub.

So I had to suffer, lol.

On the outskirts of Century II's mezzanine, there were all these old ladies sitting in chairs, guarding the doors to keep people from sneaking in.

The fans were so crazed, that some of them were jogging around the mezzanine, so they could suddenly run over and shove a door open.

A dozen people would cram through the door, fighting the little old ladies before they could shut the door. I saw this happen numerous times. People wanted in so bad they would just about do anything.

I bet at least a hundred people blasted through the doors like that without tickets.

Opening band was from Illinois....The Scream. They were VERY lame.

Needless to say, VH came out and totally destroyed the city. This was back when Ed was doing his solo and would take flying leaps at his amp stacks.

As Von can tell ya, it was a fantastic show. Hey Von, if you could post all the other pics from any other Wichita VH show you have, I would very much appreciate it. If nothing else, to save time, just dump them in a zip file or something.
                                I have no photos from the shows I saw in Wichita, except the one you just posted.

Cheers.
                                Ed had the Amps rocking so much, I thought they werre going to fall over!

I hate to nitpick, but I believe the opener was not The Scream, but Screams. Can't be sure if I am correct on that, but I believe that is two different bands. Yes, the got boo'd loudly!

I got as close as I did to take that pic of Ed because my friend Barrie and I were little high school punks, and we were getting smashed into the barrier. Crushed. Literally. We knew the security guy inside the barrier, Heavy, because he worked all the shows, and we went to all the shows. Everybody else they hauled over, they took out. He let Barrie and I watch the show from there. I was literally leaning on the stage. His only statement to us was "Don't put more than half your body up on the stage, or you're out". I got a hat from Dave. Guitar pick from Ed. Drum stick from Al. This girl ripped Barries shirt off, and it was hanging by on diagonal thread down the chest. We rode dirt bikes, and it was a motocross shirt. Had a guy flying out of the dirt on a dirt bike on the back. Dave grabbed it and put it on, and then turned his back to the crowd so they could see the motocross guy, and raised his fists in the air. I didn't get that pic, because I had run out of film. To this day, Barrie gives me shit about that! It was truly a religious experience.

I live and breathe this band. This band has meant more to my life than they will ever know. My family thinks I am certifiable. I don't give a fuck. I could have much worse addictions. Van Halen is a passion for me.

Comment

Working...