This wikileaks guy should be "taken out" of the picture.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Amazon Says Government Pressure Didn't Lead to WikiLeaks Ban

Amazon booted WikiLeaks due to copyright ownership violation

Amazon says WikiLeaks violated its terms of service

Amazon Web Services denied Thursday that a government inquiry -- or even a massive denial-of-service attack -- prompted it to kick WikiLeaks off its servers.

WikiLeaks accuses cowardly Amazon of lying

In other news

WikiLeaks Rebounds as New Hosting Provider Seeks Protection

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic

Comment

• Oolith
      Full On Cocktard
      • Oct 2010

State Department Warns Students Against Discussing WikiLeaks on Facebook, Twitter

A State Department official warned students at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs this week that discussing WikiLeaks on Facebook or Twitter could endanger their employment prospects.
      The official, a former student of the school, called the career services office of his alma mater to advise students not to post links to WikiLeaks documents, nor to make comments on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook, as "engaging in these activities would call into question [a student's] ability to deal with confidential information, which is part of most positions with the federal government," he was quoted as saying in an e-mail sent to students by the career services office on Tuesday.

h

Excuse me? My and that is involved status before the world court is profound compared to the US. As long as the US refuses to be held accountable, they are deviants, as deviant as the mothers that sold children to the Jacksons.
      #ccc

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

This is a direct link to Wikileaks.org

WikiLeaks: Internet backlash follows US pressure against whistleblowing site

Individuals redirecting parts of their own sites to Swedish internet host amid 'censorship'

American pressure to dissuade companies in the US from supporting the WikiLeaks website has led to an online backlash in which individuals are redirecting parts of their own sites to its Swedish internet host.

Since early on Friday morning, it has been impossible to reach WikiLeaks by typing wikileaks.org into a web browser because everyDNS, which would redirect queries for the string "wikileaks.org" to that machine address, removed its support for Wikileaks, claiming that it had broken its terms of service by being the target of a huge hacker attack. (See What is DNS?)

Without a DNS record, it is only possible to reach WikiLeaks by typing in the string of numbers which, for most web users, is too unmemorable to make it feasible.

That, campaigners say, points to the principal weakness in the internet's pyramidial DNS setup, where a limited number of site registrars can control whether a site is findable by name or not.

Website hosts are being encouraged to add a "/wikileaks" directory into their sites, redirecting to which redirects to http://88.80.13.160/, run by the Swedish hosting company Bahnhof.

At present, that location redirects users to a Wikleaks page at http://213.251.145.96/, which is run by a French company, but if pressure from the French government pushes Wikileaks off that host, it will still have the Swedish location.

At the same time, scores of sites "mirroring" WikiLeaks have sprung up – by lunchtime today, the list was 74-strong and contained sites that have the same content as WikiLeaks and – crucially – link to the downloads of its leaks of 250,000 US diplomatic cables.

The backlash has also gained its own tag on the microblogging service Twitter, where people who have linked to the main site are using the hashtag #imwikileaks.

The technical details of how to make a site's subdirectory point directly to the WikiLeaks site are described by Paul Carvill, a British developer, and Jamie McClelland.

"I've done this as a simple gesture of my support for WikiLeaks and my opposition to arbitrary censorship of the web by governments and corporations," Carvill says on his page, while McLelland says that adding his support "seems like a good way for us all to really pitch in and share the risk that the folks at WikiLeaks are taking all by themselves".

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Arrested WikiLeaks chief denied bail in U.K.
          Assange tells court he will challenge bid to send him to Sweden to face sex offense allegations

LONDON — WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was refused bail and jailed for a week by a British court Tuesday, pending an extradition hearing over alleged sex offenses in Sweden.

Assange surrendered to U.K. police earlier in the day in the latest blow to his WikiLeaks organization, which faces legal, financial and technological challenges after releasing hundreds of secret U.S. diplomatic cables.

Swedish prosecutors had issued an arrest warrant for the 39-year-old Australian, who is accused of rape and sexual molestation in one case and of sexual molestation and unlawful coercion in another.

Assange surrendered at 9:30 a.m. local time (4:30 a.m. ET) Tuesday. The U.K.'s Guardian newspaper reported that Assange later arrived at a London court accompanied by British lawyers Mark Stephens and Jennifer Robinson.

During his court appearance, Assange said he would fight extradition to Sweden and provided the court with an Australian address. Britain's Sky News reported that Assange was receiving consular assistance from officials at the Australian High Commission.

The next court hearing is scheduled to take place December 14, and Assange will remain in custody until then because he was deemed to be a flight risk.

Judge Howard Riddle told Assange that he had "substantial grounds" to believe he wouldn't turn up for subsequent proceedings.

In response, WikiLeaks tweeted: "Let down by the UK justice system's bizarre decision to refuse bail to Julian Assange. But #cablegatereleases continue as planned."

Several supporters gathered outside the court holding placards reading "Gagging the truth" and "Protect free speech," NBC News said.

Assange had been hiding out at an undisclosed location in Britain since WikiLeaks began publishing hundreds of U.S. diplomatic cables online last month.

The legal troubles for Assange stem from allegations leveled against him by two women he met while in Sweden over the summer. The arrest warrant under which he was detained by British police arrived on Monday this week.

Assange denies the allegations, which his lawyer Stephens says stem from a "dispute over consensual but unprotected sex." Assange and Stephens have suggested that the prosecution is being manipulated for political reasons.

'He is not violent'
          One of the women involved in the sexual abuse allegations told the Swedish daily newspaper Aftonbladet that she had had voluntary relations with him and had never wanted him to be charged with rape, the Guardian said.

"He is not violent and I do not feel threatened by him," she said — anonymously — according to the paper.

A spokesman for WikiLeaks called Assange's arrest an attack on media freedom and said it won't prevent the organization from releasing more secret documents.

"This will not change our operation," Kristinn Hrafnsson told The Associated Press.

Also on Tuesday, The Australian newspaper published an op-ed by Assange in which he says WikiLeaks is "fearlessly publishing facts that need to be made public."

'Poison pill'
          British police have been caught in the middle of the legal dispute over WikiLeaks and Assange's rape accusations, a former assistant commissioner at the Metropolitan Police told msnbc.com Tuesday.

"This is a set of circumstances that the Metropolitan Police will not want to get folded into," Andy Hayman said. "They got drawn into it.Ultimately it's between his lawyers, the Swedish authorities and possibly the Americans."

Hayman added that it was now up to Sweden to prove to the U.K. that there were grounds to extradite Assange.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, visiting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and U.S. troops in Afghanistan, was pleased by the arrest.

"That sounds like good news to me," he said.

Meanwhile, the Guardian reported that WikiLeaks had no current plans to issue the code for an encrypted version of the rest of its documents — which has been called a "poison pill" — that would enable them to be published instantly, as it had threatened to do if its staff were arrested.

The organization's room to maneuver has been narrowing by the day. It has been battered by Web attacks, cut off by Internet service providers and is the subject of a criminal investigation in the United States, where officials say the release jeopardized national security and diplomatic efforts around the world.

But amid Assange's personal legal troubles, his website continued to reveal state secrets.

According to the latest diplomatic cables — reported by the Guardian — NATO has drawn up secret plans to defend the Baltic states, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, and Poland against any Russian threat.

Nine NATO divisions were identified for combat operations in the event of Russian aggression and countries were grouped together in a new regional defense scheme codenamed Eagle Guardian, the cables said.
          Video: Stakes raised in WikiLeaks investigation (on this page)

And in one of its most sensitive disclosures yet, WikiLeaks released on Sunday a secret 2009 diplomatic cable listing sites around the world that the U.S. considers critical to its security .

Such revelations have prompted the U.S. to consider prosecuting Assange, but the rape allegation presents a more immediate issue.

'Dangerous'
          Pentagon spokesman Col. David Lapan called the WikiLeaks' disclosure "dangerous" and said it gives valuable information to the nation's enemies.

NBC News reported that jihadists with connections to al-Qaida have started communicating online about the release.

"We want to exploit this document," one reportedly wrote.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday the Obama administration was considering using laws in addition to the U.S. Espionage Act to possibly prosecute the release of government information by WikiLeaks.
          Video: Defiant Assange fights legal, online attacks

Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard told a news conference Tuesday that it is "grossly irresponsible" for WikiLeaks to publish items like critical infrastructure lists.

But she backed away from her comment made last week that posting classified U.S. government documents on the WikiLeaks website was an "illegal" act.

She said police were still investigating whether Assange had broken any Australian laws.
          More from breakingnews.com

For days, WikiLeaks has been forced by governments, hackers and companies to move from one website to another. It is now relying on a Swedish host.

But WikiLeaks' Swedish servers were crippled after coming under suspected attack again Monday, the latest in a series of such assaults.

It was not clear who was organizing the attacks. WikiLeaks has blamed previous ones on intelligence forces in the U.S. and elsewhere.

WikiLeaks' huge online following of tech-savvy young people has pitched in, setting up more than 500 mirrors.

Meanwhile, the Swiss postal system's financial arm, Postfinance, shut down a bank account set up by Assange to receive donations after the agency determined that he provided false information regarding his place of residence in opening the account. Assange had listed his lawyer's address in Geneva.

"He will get his money back," Postfinance spokesman Alex Josty said. "We just close the account."

Assange's lawyers said the account contained about $41,000. Over the weekend, the online payment service PayPal cut off WikiLeaks and, according to Assange's lawyers, froze $80,000 of the organization's money.

Visa also said Tuesday that it had suspended all payments to WikiLeaks pending an investigation of the organization's business.

The group is left with only a few options for raising money now — through a Swiss-Icelandic credit card processing center and accounts in Iceland and Germany.

NATO combat plan
          According to the latest leaked cables, NATO took a secret decision to draft contingency plans for the former Soviet states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania earlier this year at the urging of the United States and Germany.

The move ended years of division within the alliance over how to view Russia, the Guardian said.

In parallel talks with Warsaw, the newspaper added, Washington offered to beef up Polish security against Russia by deploying special naval forces to the Baltic ports of Gdansk and Gdynia, putting F-16 fighter aircraft in Poland and rotating C-130 Hercules transport planes into Poland from U.S. bases in Germany.

NATO leaders were understood to have quietly endorsed the new strategy to defend vulnerable parts of eastern Europe at a summit in Lisbon last month, the Guardian said.
          Slideshow: WikiLeaks in cartoons (on this page)

In Lisbon, NATO and Russia agreed to cooperate on missile defense and other security issues, and hailed a new start in relations strained since Russia's military intervention in Georgia in 2008. U.S. President Barack Obama has a policy of "resetting" relations with Moscow.

But the WikiLeaks cables point to the underlying tension in the relationship between the former Cold War adversaries.

The plan entailed grouping the Baltic states with Poland in a new regional defense scheme, codenamed Eagle Guardian, the paper said.

Poland, the Baltic states and others were rattled by Russia's brief war against Georgia and have been irked by large-scale Russian army exercises in Belarus and by Moscow's new military doctrine that sees NATO expansion as a threat.

The Guardian said nine NATO divisions — U.S., British, German and Polish — had been identified for combat operations in the event of aggression against Poland or the Baltic states.

Earlier this year, the United States started rotating U.S. army Patriot missiles into Poland.

But the secret cables exposed the Patriots' value as purely symbolic. The Patriot battery was for training purposes, and was neither operational nor armed with missiles, said the Guardian.

NBC News, msnbc.com staff, The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

This guy is being set up...

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
              Assange could be the fall guy in an organization that was actually set up by people interested in destabalizing the world and using it as an excuse to clamp down on free speech in the US. It's all creepy and fishy to me. Even if Wikileaks is dirty we need to stand with Assange and demand his release because if they can do it to him, they can do it to us. Our government is so corrupt exposing the dirt is actually a positive thing. People need to wake up before all this corruption buries us in fascism.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                because if they can do it to him, they can do it to us.
                but you didn't create and maintain a website which openly divulges state secrets. so i think you're safe, mate.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2004

If an empire wants you dead, you needeth not break any actual laws. Ye can take My word for that one.

Of course in My case, death was only a temporary setback, but that is beside the point.

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                    If an empire wants you dead, you needeth not break any actual laws. Ye can take My word for that one.

Of course in My case, death was only a temporary setback, but that is beside the point.
                    JESUS! MAAAAAATE!
                    how do you answer the prayers which begin;
                    my name is mbango. i am a weathy industrialist......

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      For once I agree that this could be a conspiracy.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ashstralia
                        but you didn't create and maintain a website which openly divulges state secrets. so i think you're safe, mate.
                        It's kind of debatable whether once you give 3 million people access to information if it is still a state secret.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          For once I agree that this could be a conspiracy.
                          Me too. But what are the Swedes getting out of it?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            It's kind of debatable whether once you give 3 million people access to information if it is still a state secret.
                            It's funny, but I heard journalists on an NPR program saying that they approached the U.S. gov't about not printing details if they threatened anyone's life (sources) and the gov't wanted them not to print stuff that was just embarrassing to diplomats and foreign leaders. But he (I didn't get his name) speculated that there might actually be some positives, even a net overall positive effect as the cables showed diplomats in actions actually trying to do what the gov't claimed publicly, and he cited the fact that the cables revealed that Arab gov'ts are every bit as afraid of Iranian nukes as the Israelis are, and that this might possibly liberating the Middle Eastern Arab press to begin opining openly against the Iranian gov't on this issue and others...

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                              JESUS! MAAAAAATE!
                              how do you answer the prayers which begin;
                              my name is mbango. i am a weathy industrialist......
                              Oh, that's an easy one....

Sell all thy possessions and give the money to the poor. Then get back to Me

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                Maybe World War III has already started. The war between the hackers. You can't control the world by controlling the mainstream press anymore.
                                LONDON – Hackers rushed to the defense of WikiLeaks on Wednesday, launching attacks on MasterCard, Swedish prosecutors, a Swiss bank and others who have acted against the site and its jailed founder Julian Assange.

Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

Working...