X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

You guys have been saying that forever....

But are you OBJECTIVELY saying the Leonard, while "running", never got any good scoring shots in?

Because if your answer to that is No, that's where you're dead wrong....

That makes it sound like you can only win a fight if you go toe-to-toe with your opponent, and if you don't you can't win....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Originally posted by ashstralia
      Hey do any of you guys and girls care about mundine v sugar shane here next Wednesday?

I hope mouthy mundine gets knocked into next week. Never has an Aussie sportsman been so hated.
      He could have been the most awesome indigenous ambassador in history; but chose instead to be an arrogant humorless big mouthed wanker.
      Fight cancelled.

Mundine managed to get KO's by Sven Ottke, a man who has powder-puff fists. He has always been a big-mouthed dickhead.
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

But are you OBJECTIVELY saying the Leonard, while "running", never got any good scoring shots in?

That makes it sound like you can only win a fight if you go toe-to-toe with your opponent, and if you don't you can't win....
        This

Everytime I watchec Hagler-Leonard, I get a different result. It really was a close fight - Hagler remains pissed about it, but the truth is if you were Leonard what would you do? Stand in front of the naturally bigger dude and trade punches? Or frustrate him, nullify his strengths and use your speed?

Last time I watched it, I had Hagler by a round for what it's worth.
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

He got in scoring shots. Just not "good" scoring shots. Definitely not enough to even come close to winning the fight. With your logic, a fighter could run the whole fight, stick his hand out and tap his opponent on his head lightly, and still win the fight. That's basically what Leonard did that whole fight.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
            He got in scoring shots. Just not "good" scoring shots. Definitely not enough to even come close to winning the fight. With your logic, a fighter could run the whole fight, stick his hand out and tap his opponent on his head lightly, and still win the fight. That's basically what Leonard did that whole fight.
            Oh come on Von, you telling me he wasn't getting "good" scoring shots? Please...

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
              Veteran
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
              Are you talking about Leonard or Mayweather? Sounds like you are describing the same fighter.
              RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
              LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

Last time I watched it I had hagler by possibly a couple of rounds but I can see how people can by generous when scoring it more favourably to sugar ,his hand speed and flurries could catch the eye .
                Just not haglers
                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2005

I think the judges favored Leonard in the fight because he exceeded expectations. He had been retired for a while and i don't remember anyone giving him much chance when the fight was made. To come into the fight and do what he did was pretty remarkable. I think the judges may have gotten caught up in the wave of excitement that started building as the fight progressed. I didn't have any problem with a Leonard decision but i could certainly see how it could have been a draw or gone either way by a point or two.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

I sure wish i could find a copy of the Hagler Duran fight. That was a killer fight as well. Hagler barely got past Duran and that would have been a great rematch given their styles.

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Oh come on Von, you telling me he wasn't getting "good" scoring shots? Please...
                      A few. Most of those missed, were blocked, or had zero power behind them. Those flurries were more like paddy cake, than boxing.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                        I sure wish i could find a copy of the Hagler Duran fight. That was a killer fight as well. Hagler barely got past Duran and that would have been a great rematch given their styles.
                        You're welcome.

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

My best memory of Hagler/Leonard is him " stealing" rounds with a 30 sec flurry at the end after moving backwards for 2 1/2 minutes..

Comment

• DlocRoth
                            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                            I think the judges favored Leonard in the fight because he exceeded expectations. He had been retired for a while and i don't remember anyone giving him much chance when the fight was made. To come into the fight and do what he did was pretty remarkable. I think the judges may have gotten caught up in the wave of excitement that started building as the fight progressed. I didn't have any problem with a Leonard decision but i could certainly see how it could have been a draw or gone either way by a point or two.
                            And that's precisely why I don't like Leonard. Everyone is always saying how he exceeded expectations. WTF? He's an all time great!

He had ALL of the skills. But he acted like a little pussy all of the time with his woe is me bullshit.

My fights were such wars that I had to retire....... I gave everything.......

His hype was just SOOOOO staged. As if he wasn't training EVERY day during his "retirements".

If he would have just stood on his own justified merits as a great champion I would have a lot more respect for him.
                            Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                              And that's precisely why I don't like Leonard. Everyone is always saying how he exceeded expectations. WTF? He's an all time great!

He had ALL of the skills. But he acted like a little pussy all of the time with his woe is me bullshit.

My fights were such wars that I had to retire....... I gave everything.......

His hype was just SOOOOO staged. As if he wasn't training EVERY day during his "retirements".

If he would have just stood on his own justified merits as a great champion I would have a lot more respect for him.
                              He did exceed expectations for that particular fight with Haglar. There is just no way around it. Maybe it isn't that big of a deal to have a 3 year layoff now and come back but at that time it was unheard of. If you will remember he retired the first time in 82 and came back after 2 years and fought Kevin Howard. He won the fight but got knocked down in the process. He quickly retired again after that fight because he didn't look like the old Leonard. So by the time he came back against Haglar in 87 after another 3 years it was only the 2nd time he was fighting in 5 years.
                              I was 17 at the time. I was going to go down to the local colliseum and watch it on closed circuit t.v. since ppv didn't exist yet. My folks dropped the hammer on me at the last minute due to grades and wouldn't let me go. Anyway, the feeling at the time was that people were genuinely afraid for Ray because of what Haglar had done to Hearns. If Ray got knocked down by lowly Kevin Howard 3 years prior, what in the hell was Haglar going to do him? Hell, i was afraid for Leonard. I remember this well. What he did was a shocker.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Ill give Leonard props for fighting a smart fight..that was 15 rds too I think..against a guy that had a chip on his shoulder and came non-stop the entire time. But he didnt win..

Comment

Working...