SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

God I fucking hope so...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Terry
      I mean, is Hagar doing one more tour with Van Halen really the final step that needs to be taken to ensure Hagar's tenure with the band is considered as effective/important as that of the CVH lineup? Is one last Van Hagar tour really going to change anybody's mind about the two lineups one way or the other at this point? Is it really the case that whoever fronts the band on their last tour - Roth or Hagar - somehow 'wins' this 3 decades-long running debate?

"oooh, Sammy toured with the band last, then the band folded, so clearly Sammy 'won'! Yay!!!"

Honestly, fuck it. Give a tubby old tequila salesman a chance to show us all what dreams are made of one last time. Who gives a shit? Let Hagar stand up onstage with his bloated face, extended gut, ridiculous goatee, shit-eating grin and that stupid 5150 vagina hand sign while the Van Halens churn out mid-80s lame synth pop.

However, I DO think Roth should not associate himself with such a tour. If Hagar wants to hit the road with Van Halen, let him do it under the sole draw of the Van Hagar material. Don't enable Hagar to reap any benefit of the CVH stuff via Roth co-headlining the tour. I don't even want to hear the Sam Halen lineup play ANY CVH material. Not Panama. Not Jump. Nothing.
      love this
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Hagar not only thinks he's Roth's equal, he thinks he's better. Probably too many years of spouting bullshit sales and tour attendance claims in interviews have made Hagar actually believe the lies he has told.

I mean, at this late date, who gives a shit who was better? It was all pretty lame and ridiculous thirty years ago, now it's just ancient and pathetic.

I don't think it will be a case of Dave "letting it happen" in terms of Hagar touring with Van Halen again, because Roth's not really in a position to dictate anything to the Van Halens anymore. It's not the CVH era, where Roth is on equal footing with the Van Halens in terms of how the band is run. To be sure, it's Roth's choice to make about a co-lead singer tour. Outside of that, the Van Halens are gonna do what they're gonna do.
        Yeah. Sammy wants one more shot at glory after selling overpriced rot gut and fucking his chum Emril Lagasse up his greasy cajun ass.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          Yeah. Sammy wants one more shot at glory after selling overpriced rot gut and fucking his chum Emril Lagasse up his greasy cajun ass.

BAM! Gay anal sex notches unknown!!!
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
            Would you mind posting the definition of "niche" for Zah?
            Yeah... help an old guy out! That must be some hipster millenial speak for something fucking ultra cool...
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

BAM! Gay anal sex notches unknown!!!
              Maybe that's where the lyrics for "Up For Breakfast" came from...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

No that was done by building sentences at random using an 11 year old boy to throw lumps of human faeces extracted from corpses at outsize Dr Seuss books and choosing the words in order of the amount that stuck to each one.

Comment

• smorgdonkey
                  Roadie
                  • Jul 2004

I think that Sam would love for this to happen because he doesn't have the wear and tear that Dave has. Dave was an unbridled animal whereas Sam was a watered-down replacement.

Hagar thinks that he is a big rocker but he never was in Dave's class so that he can do better versions of his weak stuff NOW than Dave can do of his amazing stuff now, means nothing to the people who know anything. It might mean something to the people who were casual enough fans to not favor the Van Halen or the Sam Halen or the people who are hard onto Sam's side but it means very little to people who can actually discern what good music is & what isn't good music.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by smorgdonkey
                    I think that Sam would love for this to happen because he doesn't have the wear and tear that Dave has. Dave was an unbridled animal whereas Sam was a watered-down replacement.

Hagar thinks that he is a big rocker but he never was in Dave's class so that he can do better versions of his weak stuff NOW than Dave can do of his amazing stuff now, means nothing to the people who know anything. It might mean something to the people who were casual enough fans to not favor the Van Halen or the Sam Halen or the people who are hard onto Sam's side but it means very little to people who can actually discern what good music is & what isn't good music.

I mean, if Hagar wants another crack at Van Halen in terms of a tour to at least end his association with the band on a professional and positive note...I can't really blame the guy for that. That 2004 tour was a fucking fiasco. According to everything Hagar said, he knew Eddie was in a fucked up condition in the months leading up to the tour. Apparently, Eddie couldn't even get through a full-set rehearsal. Hagar admittedly kept telling himself that Eddie would somehow get his shit together, but it didn't happen. I understand contractual obligations, but my own feeling is Hagar should have pulled the plug on the tour before the contracts were even signed and made it known he wasn't going to participate if Eddie wasn't sober.

Whatever. The tour went ahead, to a pretty dismal result: I can't even imagine Van Hagar fans - low as their standards of excellence may be - could have been too happy with what transpired onstage from the clips I saw.

If Hagar's motivation now is to repair his relationship with the Van Halens and end the Hagar era of the band on a better note than it did 13 years ago, I get that. If Hagar's co-headlining tour idea springs from a genuine spirit of having everybody - Roth included (as well as fans of both lineups) - get along and wind down the band on a positive note for everybody...well, a pretty tall order, but I can appreciate the spirit of it.

If Hagar's motivation is to simply show up Roth (and, let's face it, Roth isn't what he was even ten years ago far as singing and performing goes) and put some bizarre final stamp on who the best singer for Van Halen was...even for a cheeseball like Hagar, THAT would be beyond ghey at this stage of his life.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

If Hagar's motivation now is to repair his relationship with the Van Halens and end the Hagar era of the band on a better note than it did 13 years ago, I get that. If Hagar's co-headlining tour idea springs from a genuine spirit of having everybody - Roth included (as well as fans of both lineups) - get along and wind down the band on a positive note for everybody...well, a pretty tall order, but I can appreciate the spirit of it.

If Hagar's motivation is to simply show up Roth (and, let's face it, Roth isn't what he was even ten years ago far as singing and performing goes) and put some bizarre final stamp on who the best singer for Van Halen was...even for a cheeseball like Hagar, THAT would be beyond ghey at this stage of his life.

I honestly think it's both.....

I think he's sincere that he wants to mend the fences with the brothers, but I don't think that applies to DLR. I think he wants to humiliate him night after night... That's why IMO he wants to play a few Van Hagar songs, then bring DLR on for Van Halen songs, etc.
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        I honestly think it's both.....

I think he's sincere that he wants to mend the fences with the brothers, but I don't think that applies to DLR. I think he wants to humiliate him night after night... That's why IMO he wants to play a few Van Hagar songs, then bring DLR on for Van Halen songs, etc.
                        Yeah, but all that would serve to do is embarrass what Roth has become in terms of a singer and performer now when contrasted with 30 + years ago. And, truth be told, Hagar might have held up better than Roth over the years re: now vs. back then, but even Hagar isn't the performer he was 30 years ago, either.

None of that will elevate the actual recorded legacy of the band, in terms of one era vs. another, inasmuch as I can't imagine that happening with any reasonable person. It'd be hard to imagine those partial to CVH reassessing that stance if such a co-headlining tour happened and Roth bombed while Hagar knocked the Van Hagar set out of the park.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Roth's last two tours with the band haven't been all that great from a lead vocal perspective, and that level of performance clearly is what it is now: you either accept it and continue to buy tickets for the shows, or you don't.

In the age of youtube and fan-made videos, potential ticket buyers have an idea very early on in a tour - within a couple of hours of the first show of Van Halen's 2015 tour ending - how the band is sounding. So most people outside of those ticket holders for the initial dates basically know what they're getting. I say all of this because that's how I made my choice not to see any 2015 shows.

So, if Hagar has some bizarre idea that a co-headlining tour would elicit some large-scale reassessment of either of the eras to Hagar's benefit, I mean, clearly he's free to believe that...apparently he believes Van Hagar sold 80 million records, so hyperbole isn't a concept he is unfamiliar with.

I just don't see Dave doing it in the end. I mean, if his personal, individual guarantee was massive...if he had a worthwhile payday for such a tour...maybe he would. As sort of a Last Waltz with a big check handed to him. Because, really, the idea of Dave going back to doing solo gigs in smaller venues...he's on the wrong side of 60 for that stuff, and the demand for Roth solo isn't high. I have no idea what Roth's finances are like - if he's set up for life or not - but I'd have to imagine a big, last payday would be appealing. Juxtaposing that, it'd still be hard to imagine Roth wanting to do such a co-headlining tour. Not because he's afraid of the Hagar comparisons in terms of Roth looking bad, but rather because Roth clearly believes what he did with Van Halen was exceptional, and that Hagar doesn't even deserve to be associated with that body of work.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yeah, but all that would serve to do is embarrass what Roth has become in terms of a singer and performer now when contrasted with 30 + years ago. And, truth be told, Hagar might have held up better than Roth over the years re: now vs. back then, but even Hagar isn't the performer he was 30 years ago, either.

Yeah, I don't think Hagar is capable of much more than Dave at this point....

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              Yeah, I don't think Hagar is capable of much more than Dave at this point....
                              I mean, I've seen some clips of Hagar's recent shows - specifically the band playing Poundcake - and Hagar's voice wasn't what it used to be, either...and the band were playing at least a half-step down from the recorded version, to boot. Hagar was just walking around the stage, slightly bloated...he wasn't belting the tune out in a manner that recalled the original version, so if THAT is the level of performance Hagar would bring to a theoretical Van Halen/Van Hagar co-lead singer headlining tour, I don't see Hagar having the ability currently to make Roth feel embarrassed.

It'd be two aging ex-lead singers from Van Halen instead of one, with neither of them really able to bring to the stage a level of performance equal to their heydays with the band.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Oh by the way, in case if you were wondering if DLR is out of his yelping phase....

Um, no....

[ Sorry, I can only find the video posted on Toshi's FB page.... ]

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...