Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dave opening for KI$$...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Any more than 30 minutes of 1/4 Halen and it becomes obvious to even KISS fans that their music is wanting. Never understood the appeal
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-07-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

This is damn good. Even the YouTube comments are 90% excellent.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. 4 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-07-2020),Jetstream (02-06-2020),katina (03-04-2020),Romeo Delight (02-06-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    This is damn good. Even the YouTube comments are 90% excellent.

You think that's good? You need to get to some AA meetings.

That was absolutely unbelievably awful.

How can anyone say that was good?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post

How can anyone say that was good?
    They had the volume turned off.

Is it just me or does anyone else see a resemblance?

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Review of the 2/5 Buffalo show:

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/06/a...-still-a-kiss/

"Roth let the band carry the songs, while he clowned with the crowd like some kind of
    demented Rat Pack extra, and this was smart – his voice is not what it once was, and
    he had trouble hitting the highest notes, so sticking to his lane was a wise move."

8. Thanked silverfish for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (02-07-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Review of the 2/5 Buffalo show:

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/06/a...-still-a-kiss/

"Roth let the band carry the songs, while he clowned with the crowd like some kind of
    demented Rat Pack extra, and this was smart – his voice is not what it once was, and
    he had trouble hitting the highest notes, so sticking to his lane was a wise move."
    Reviewer is clueless. Didn't notice even KI$$ were miming or that the backing vocals in Dave's weren't real. I see he loved the Super Bowl halftime show although even he noticed that the music was likely prerecorded so maybe he just isn't bothered about minor points like that.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but aside from the ignorance or lack of commentary re: the backing vocal tapes, I'd say the rest of the characterization was more or less on point.

I mean, it's not really a criticism...Roth WAS clowning with the crowd, his voice is NOT what it once was, and he DOES have trouble hitting the highest notes. He can't do his karate acrobatics anymore to compensate for his voice being shot, so sticking to his lane IS a wise move.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Doc McGee says Paul and Gene are going to hang it up after this tour. KISS will go on. They will hire some guys to wear the makeup and replace them. Not a bad move. Gene and Paul are showing their age and people still love KISS. Why not keep it going? I probably would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. Some bands you can't keep going. Rush being a good example. You can't replace Niel Peart and it's not Rush without him or any of them. You can keep KISS going. KISS is kinda interesting that way. I always enjoyed how they shamelessly sold the KISS franchise.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Well... clowning to the crowd is about 60-75% of Dave stage appeal... with a little singin thrown in for good measure!! Just to keep it real...

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2024 @ 08:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

From the couple of clips I saw Dave sounded pretty good all things considered. Not a big enough Kiss fan to consider dropping a few Benjamin’s to seeDave live the You Tube clips will do me justice. Hard to criticize Dave when he’s obviously enjoying himself while I’m in my recliner on a Friday night drinking a few Ultras eating Keto pizza (I’m under 190 from 215 ��)with the Mrs. binge watching The Outsider on HBO. Not complaining just saying to each your own. I hope theirs people in the arena when he’s playing. Rock on Dave!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Doc McGee says Paul and Gene are going to hang it up after this tour. KISS will go on. They will hire some guys to wear the makeup and replace them. Not a bad move. Gene and Paul are showing their age and people still love KISS. Why not keep it going? I probably would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. Some bands you can't keep going. Rush being a good example. You can't replace Niel Peart and it's not Rush without him or any of them. You can keep KISS going. KISS is kinda interesting that way. I always enjoyed how they shamelessly sold the KISS franchise.
    Pathetic idea for Kiss. Keith Moon was irreplaceable also. Except he was for 3 decades at this point. If Rush goes out with the guy from Dream Theater ( a band I've never heard ) count me in. No disrespect to Neil.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yeah, but aside from the ignorance or lack of commentary re: the backing vocal tapes, I'd say the rest of the characterization was more or less on point.

I mean, it's not really a criticism...Roth WAS clowning with the crowd, his voice is NOT what it once was, and he DOES have trouble hitting the highest notes. He can't do his karate acrobatics anymore to compensate for his voice being shot, so sticking to his lane IS a wise move.
    Truth ? Some. But to just dismiss Roth's improved vocals is just the haters at this point. Sure he needs to pick the correct songs. Dance The Night Away & Just Like Paradise aren't good choices. That falls on Dave. He shouldn't be doing them. Otherwise he seems to be doing fine. I'd be glad to go through the names of the millions of other singers that are way below their original talents that get a free fucking pass because they're not Roth. Or the list is shorter for the guys that still are decent. Maybe 10 guys. Starting with Paul Rodgers. Bruce from Maiden ????? Maybe it's less then 10......Hag sure the fuck isn't on it anymore....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Well... clowning to the crowd is about 60-75% of Dave stage appeal... with a little singin thrown in for good measure!! Just to keep it real...

I really don't know what fucking planet some of the posters here live on with their expectations.

They should all post naked looking in a mirror.

17. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-07-2020)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Truth ? Some. But to just dismiss Roth's improved vocals is just the haters at this point.
    Improved maybe but still far from what anyone not wearing a hearing aid with dead batteries would consider decent. I don't hate Dave. I'm just giving my honest opinion on his ability to sing now.
    Hag sure the fuck isn't on it anymore....
    I'd ask you if you'd still say this if you didn't hate Hagar but you do and you'd just say yes. A lot of the people who post here don't hesitate to bad mouth musicians and bands they don't like no matter how good of a performance they give yet they do the exact opposite when it comes to musicians and bands they do like. Roth could mumble the lyrics to a song and they'd still say he did a fine job.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Improved maybe but still far from what anyone not wearing a hearing aid with dead batteries would consider decent. I don't hate Dave. I'm just giving my honest opinion on his ability to sing now.

I'd ask you if you'd still say this if you didn't hate Hagar but you do and you'd just say yes. A lot of the people who post here don't hesitate to bad mouth musicians and bands they don't like no matter how good of a performance they give yet they do the exact opposite when it comes to musicians and bands they do like. Roth could mumble the lyrics to a song and they'd still say he did a fine job.
    Not true in the least. Hag WAS a good singer in his prime. I like a lot of his solo work. If people think he's as great as 1988 their fucking delusional. Is Roth as good as 1980 or 1988 ? No. But he's better then 2012 or 2015. I see you avoided debating MANY other singers that are limited ( being generous ) in 2020. Why ? Are you a Hag drone ?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really don't know what fucking planet some of the posters here live on with their expectations.

I couldn't agree more. Dave HAS improved vocally. One guy he is opening for is lip synching for God's sake ! He's 65 having a great time. Fuck the dildo haters. Sad & pathetic. Does he need to be out there ? No. But he is. And doing a decent job. Go have fun or stay home and kick the dog. Me ? I'm going. Just wish Ed was there.......
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 02-07-2020 at 09:56 PM.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    That's why I never went out of my way to see Dave perform with or without Van Halen after the US Festival. I thoroughly enjoyed their performance musically but the staged comedy stuff didn't really float my boat. I was too burned out after being treated like I was part of a herd of cattle for hours between the time the Scorpions finished their set and VH finally started theirs. I saw them live in 79 before they added the comedy routines. I preferred it when Dave was just a singer not a "frontman".

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You shouldn't have wasted your time seeing 5 mediocre bands before V.H. got onstage. That's their fault ? Roth told comedy at the U.S. Festival ? The 15 seconds he ripped the Clash ? Yeah he ruined Van Halen.....spare me.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not true in the least. Hag WAS a good singer in his prime. I like a lot of his solo work. If people think he's as great as 1988 their fucking delusional. Is Roth as good as 1980 or 1988 ? No. But he's better then 2012 or 2015. I see you avoided debating MANY other singers that are limited ( being generous ) in 2020. Why ? Are you a Hag drone ?
    I wasn't avoiding debating the subject but some singers get worse than other over time. What Roth does now isn't singing. It wasn't singing in 2012 and it's not singing now. IMO the only reason Eddie allowed the Live In The Tokyo Dome album to be released is to show how good he still is with a guitar and how bad Dave is with a microphone.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

[QUOTE=cadaverdog;1942049]I wasn't avoiding debating the subject but some singers get worse than other over time. What Roth does now isn't singing. It wasn't singing in 2012 and it's not singing now. IMO the only reason Eddie allowed the Live In The Tokyo Dome album to be released is to show how good he still is with a guitar and how bad Dave is with a microphone.

Sad. Fake news if you think Roth isn't better than the 12 or 15 tours. Honestly dude you're just a dick hater saying that. Why are you here ? And Ed's to stupid & lazy to try and impress people like that. And yes you are avoiding the debate if you think you're favorite singer from Def Leppard, GNR, The Who, Robert Plant, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Sam Hagar, Motley Crue, Kiss sound like they did 20 years ago. Are you on their websites whipped up about their abilities ? My guess ? No.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 02-07-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Buffalo setlists & some photos:

Kiss and David Lee Roth Stampede Through Buffalo: Photo Gallery
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss...h-photos-2020/

26. Thanked silverfish for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-07-2020)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Honestly dude you're just a dick hater saying that. Why are you here ?
    Sorry if you can't handle someone criticizing your hero. I missed the memo that said never criticize Roth and make sure you mention Hagar in every post when I joined this group. You must have missed the one that explains how the quote function works.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry if you can't handle someone criticizing your hero. I missed the memo that said never criticize Roth and make sure you mention Hagar in every post when I joined this group. You must have missed the one that explains how the quote function works.
    Oh honey get over the hate. Mentioning that Hagar stinks at 71 is just a fact. It must suck to once be considered a great singer with range then lose it. Remember I mentioned about 10 other singers also. You had no comment because it doesn't fit your agenda to say Roth is the ONLY guy with beyond lost abilities. In closing fuck off troll.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 02-08-2020 at 12:05 AM.

29. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (02-08-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Opinions vary depending on the perspective of each person... 2 people can experience the same performance in the same time and space and walk away with completely different takes. Neither being wrong... As with virtually any activity involving the human body... very little improves with advanced aging. Especially singing...

For this Diamond Dave outing... I'm very appreciative of the widespread negative criticism voiced far and wide by fans after his opening night performance. It mirrored the half-assed, phone it in™ bullshit Dave pulled far too frequently during the 2012/2015 tours.

The amazing part is someone got out in front of this... or got it in front of Dave and David Lee Roth got caught paying fucking attention... for once!

I think most would agree that Dave still has a vocal range that plays to his true strengths and aged abilities. It ain't in the gawd-damned high register... He also retains memory of the correct melody of most of his top material. Stay in that range and follow the original recipe and hot damn... the magic lives to fight another day!

With that... thank you to all who called bullshit on poor performances. It had to be said... and the performance quality is approaching the fair value of the ticket price now.

31. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-08-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Truth ? Some. But to just dismiss Roth's improved vocals is just the haters at this point. Sure he needs to pick the correct songs. Dance The Night Away & Just Like Paradise aren't good choices. That falls on Dave. He shouldn't be doing them. Otherwise he seems to be doing fine. I'd be glad to go through the names of the millions of other singers that are way below their original talents that get a free fucking pass because they're not Roth. Or the list is shorter for the guys that still are decent. Maybe 10 guys. Starting with Paul Rodgers. Bruce from Maiden ????? Maybe it's less then 10......Hag sure the fuck isn't on it anymore....
    Keeping in mind what ZahZoo said re: opinions/individual perspective, while Dave's vocals have certainly improved since the opening night of the Vegas stint (a point I made earlier) that isn't quite the same thing as saying Roth is singing particularly well. His live vocals from 2012 onward have been dicey at best, and the bar I set for him in terms of acceptable vocals wasn't a high one to hurdle even given his age.

Not to be cheeky, but sitting in an audience listening to Dave yell off-key, I tend to doubt thinking that most other rock vocalists Roth's age are struggling makes the experience any easier to listen to. I do readily agree with the idea that Dave needs to pick the correct songs that his present abilities play to the best - sticking in his lane - and drop the ones that don't: he has enough material to choose from where he can swap the two that don't work well with others that would (ex. one would think he could still knock Little Dreamer right out of the park...and that would be an acceptable to substitute for, say, JLP).

It has been an odd thing for me post-2007/2008 tour, in that Dave's live vocals are very hit or miss, oftentimes within a singular tune. Like, he'll sing a line of a verse and it will sound fine, then he'll yelp the next line...it comes across like he's bored with simply singing the tunes in key so he will speedtalkalineofasongreallyfast then YELL THE NEXT LINE REALLY LOUD in order to...keep it interesting for him, maybe? Yet he's still capable of singing the odd line in key when he wants to, which makes me think he (even at this late date) could be sounding much, much better than he does with minimal effort, but simply chooses not to. At that point, what am I to conclude other than he's just up there more for himself than the audience paying to see him? And that's fine if one accepts the premise that Dave will be Dave and you either take it or leave it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Simple fact is he could be singing much better than he does with less physical effort re: lungpower than he is expending to sound worse than he does.

My expectations are ground-level: I don't expect anything in the way of movement from him onstage other than what he's doing. I don't expect anything by way of banshee shrieks. I don't even expect him to sing half or more of the choruses anymore. Goofy jokes/comments are a given. Furiously mugging with Cheshire Cat grin firmly affixed to his mug? Check. Flamboyant and anachronistically-muddled wardrobe? Double check. Listenable lead vocals? Nope.

Did you want that nude selfie posted to the public board, or should I just PM you one like last time?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mentioning that Hagar stinks at 71 is just a fact.
    Fact, obsession, whatever.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not to be cheeky, but sitting in an audience listening to Dave yell off-key, I tend to doubt thinking that most other rock vocalists Roth's age are struggling makes the experience any easier to listen to.
    I agree. I imagine some of these aged vocalists keep performing because they need the money. Some do it because they think they still have "it" even though they don't. Dave does it because he needs the spotlight. He needs it to convince himself he's still Diamond David Lee Roth the character not David Lee Roth the man.
    Yet he's still capable of singing the odd line in key when he wants to, which makes me think he (even at this late date) could be sounding much, much better than he does with minimal effort, but simply chooses not to.
    I think he thinks that's what his fans want. Some probably do. I don't.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

At KeyBank Center show, a Kiss is still a Kiss

As has been true for years, the Kiss performance at KeyBank Center was more spectacle than traditional concert. (Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News)
    By Jeff Miers
    Published February 6, 2020|Updated February 6, 2020

What a long, strange, pyro-heavy trip it's been.

Kiss rolled into town with its greasepaint and electrified boogie in tow Wednesday for a KeyBank Center stop on its “End of the Road” tour, a lengthy sojourn that the band insists will be its last. And for so many rock fans spanning several generations, saying farewell to the glam/power-pop/hard rock quartet bears significant emotional weight.

Becoming a Kiss fan and catching one of the band’s over-the-top, gloriously bombastic live shows is, for many, a rite of passage, and something that has been passed down to — and experienced alongside of — their kids.

The concert, with former Van Halen frontman and current uber-hilarious lounge lizard David Lee Roth opening, was not sold out, with the uppermost tier of the arena largely vacant. Still, considering that Kiss already played our market once on this tour – in the Darien Lake Amphitheater in August – the turnout was impressive.

The mellow-ish crowd did not deter Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer from exerting the full force of their gloriously trashy and explosive production and celebrating the highs (and occasional lows) of their 45-years-deep song catalog.

Paul-Stanley-Sports-Scull-David lee Roth-Keybank-Center-Kiss-2020
    Paul Stanley of Kiss mugs it up for the fans — and the cameras — at KeyBank Center. (Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News)

The band took to the stage following the time-honored “You wanted the best, you got the best” intro announcement with the road-battered warhorse “Detroit Rock City,” and yes, I immediately felt like a giddy 12-year-old again, as Stanley strutted to the microphone atop his 10-inch platform heels like some ageless dandy from the underworld, exhorting us all to “get up” and then immediately “get down” again, as if presiding over an aerobics class in hell (or Las Vegas). There, to Stanley’s right, was the “bat-lizard,” the “demon,” or just plain old Gene Simmons if you prefer, half-crouched, oversized tongue wagging, wielding his bass like a sweaty, makeup-encrusted warlord with a battle-ax. It was gross — and awesome.

The hits came like clockwork then – “Shout it Out Loud,” “Deuce,” “Calling Dr. Love,” all played with gritty precision, even if Stanley’s acrobatically soulful vocals occasionally capitulated to the insistent ravages of time. The guy turned 68 last month, but for the most part, sang like a man half that age.

My favorite Kiss tunes have always been the deeper cuts, but the band tends to shy away from those. However, we were treated to a stellar take on “Parasite,” the Yardbirds-inspired nugget penned by former guitarist and founding member Ace Frehley. But if you’re a Kiss fan coming to see the band for what it insists will be the last time, do you really want to hear “Say Yeah,” “Heaven’s on Fire,” “Psycho Circus” and “Crazy Nights” instead of, say, “Strutter,” “Firehouse” and “Hotter Than Hell”? I doubt it.

The occasional inexplicable setlist inclusion was largely smoothed over by the immaculate pacing and ceaseless spectacle of the show, with Simmons blowing fire from a sword-shaped torch during “War Machine,” Stanley flying above the heads of the crowd to a satellite stage via a trapeze-like contraption during “Love Gun,” Simmons being hoisted to the rafters after spitting stage blood to sing “God of Thunder” and Singer performing “100,000 Years” atop his elevated drum riser.

It was impressive, it was ridiculous, and it was a helluva lotta fun.

Sports-Scull-David Lee Roth-Keybank-Center-Kiss-2020
    David Lee Roth put on a show for the crowd as a warm-up for Kiss. (Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News)

Speaking of ridiculous, David Lee Roth’s opening set was partly that and partly high-octane “big rock,” as the singer used to describe the Van Halen he fronted back in the day.

Roth's set was almost exclusively culled from the Van Halen catalog, and his insanely tight backing band – lead guitarist Al Estrada, rhythm guitarist Frankie Lindri, bassist Ryan Wheeler and drummer Mike Mussleman – delivered the goods, including startlingly full three-part harmony vocals. “You Really Got Me,” “Unchained,” “Panama,” “Jamie’s Cryin’ ” – all classics and all impeccably performed by the band Roth assembled for the Vegas residency he recently interrupted to hit the road with Kiss.

Roth let the band carry the songs, while he clowned with the crowd like some kind of demented Rat Pack extra, and this was smart – his voice is not what it once was, and he had trouble hitting the highest notes, so sticking to his lane was a wise move.

Sadly, as strong as the set was, its most notable achievement was making the listener long for the real Van Halen. C'est la vie.
    \
    The Buffalo News

37. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

katina (03-04-2020)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It’s this simple folks. If you have to stop and think if it’s good or not it’s not good. You should immediately sense the goodness of something. That happened to me the first time I heard Van Halen in the late 1970’s. I’ve watched several of Dave’s performances and I want to say it’s good but emotionally it does nothing for me. Music and performance is a form of art. The old Dave just doesn’t do it for me. I saw The Rolling Stones up in Seattle last year and enjoyed it. Saw Van Halen with Dave and Wolfie and appreciated how well Eddie played but other than that, it was kind of blah.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-09-2020 at 01:24 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    As has been true for years, the Kiss performance at KeyBank Center was more spectacle than traditional concert. (Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News)
    By Jeff Miers
    Published February 6, 2020|Updated February 6, 2020

What a long, strange, pyro-heavy trip it's been.

Kiss rolled into town with its greasepaint and electrified boogie in tow Wednesday for a KeyBank Center stop on its “End of the Road” tour, a lengthy sojourn that the band insists will be its last. And for so many rock fans spanning several generations, saying farewell to the glam/power-pop/hard rock quartet bears significant emotional weight.

Becoming a Kiss fan and catching one of the band’s over-the-top, gloriously bombastic live shows is, for many, a rite of passage, and something that has been passed down to — and experienced alongside of — their kids.

The concert, with former Van Halen frontman and current uber-hilarious lounge lizard David Lee Roth opening, was not sold out, with the uppermost tier of the arena largely vacant. Still, considering that Kiss already played our market once on this tour – in the Darien Lake Amphitheater in August – the turnout was impressive.

The mellow-ish crowd did not deter Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer from exerting the full force of their gloriously trashy and explosive production and celebrating the highs (and occasional lows) of their 45-years-deep song catalog.

Paul-Stanley-Sports-Scull-David lee Roth-Keybank-Center-Kiss-2020
    Paul Stanley of Kiss mugs it up for the fans — and the cameras — at KeyBank Center. (Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News)

The band took to the stage following the time-honored “You wanted the best, you got the best” intro announcement with the road-battered warhorse “Detroit Rock City,” and yes, I immediately felt like a giddy 12-year-old again, as Stanley strutted to the microphone atop his 10-inch platform heels like some ageless dandy from the underworld, exhorting us all to “get up” and then immediately “get down” again, as if presiding over an aerobics class in hell (or Las Vegas). There, to Stanley’s right, was the “bat-lizard,” the “demon,” or just plain old Gene Simmons if you prefer, half-crouched, oversized tongue wagging, wielding his bass like a sweaty, makeup-encrusted warlord with a battle-ax. It was gross — and awesome.

The hits came like clockwork then – “Shout it Out Loud,” “Deuce,” “Calling Dr. Love,” all played with gritty precision, even if Stanley’s acrobatically soulful vocals occasionally capitulated to the insistent ravages of time. The guy turned 68 last month, but for the most part, sang like a man half that age.

My favorite Kiss tunes have always been the deeper cuts, but the band tends to shy away from those. However, we were treated to a stellar take on “Parasite,” the Yardbirds-inspired nugget penned by former guitarist and founding member Ace Frehley. But if you’re a Kiss fan coming to see the band for what it insists will be the last time, do you really want to hear “Say Yeah,” “Heaven’s on Fire,” “Psycho Circus” and “Crazy Nights” instead of, say, “Strutter,” “Firehouse” and “Hotter Than Hell”? I doubt it.

The occasional inexplicable setlist inclusion was largely smoothed over by the immaculate pacing and ceaseless spectacle of the show, with Simmons blowing fire from a sword-shaped torch during “War Machine,” Stanley flying above the heads of the crowd to a satellite stage via a trapeze-like contraption during “Love Gun,” Simmons being hoisted to the rafters after spitting stage blood to sing “God of Thunder” and Singer performing “100,000 Years” atop his elevated drum riser.

It was impressive, it was ridiculous, and it was a helluva lotta fun.

Sports-Scull-David Lee Roth-Keybank-Center-Kiss-2020
    David Lee Roth put on a show for the crowd as a warm-up for Kiss. (Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News)

Speaking of ridiculous, David Lee Roth’s opening set was partly that and partly high-octane “big rock,” as the singer used to describe the Van Halen he fronted back in the day.

Roth's set was almost exclusively culled from the Van Halen catalog, and his insanely tight backing band – lead guitarist Al Estrada, rhythm guitarist Frankie Lindri, bassist Ryan Wheeler and drummer Mike Mussleman – delivered the goods, including startlingly full three-part harmony vocals. “You Really Got Me,” “Unchained,” “Panama,” “Jamie’s Cryin’ ” – all classics and all impeccably performed by the band Roth assembled for the Vegas residency he recently interrupted to hit the road with Kiss.

Roth let the band carry the songs, while he clowned with the crowd like some kind of demented Rat Pack extra, and this was smart – his voice is not what it once was, and he had trouble hitting the highest notes, so sticking to his lane was a wise move.

Sadly, as strong as the set was, its most notable achievement was making the listener long for the real Van Halen. C'est la vie.
    \
    The Buffalo News
    Good review. KISS is fun and Dave’s band is tight and Dave is well Dave.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree. I imagine some of these aged vocalists keep performing because they need the money. Some do it because they think they still have "it" even though they don't. Dave does it because he needs the spotlight. He needs it to convince himself he's still Diamond David Lee Roth the character not David Lee Roth the man.

I think he thinks that's what his fans want. Some probably do. I don't.
    That's the thing, in that some of those seeing Dave nowadays may not particularly care beyond just wanting to go, hear a few CVH tunes, and whatever Dave does...well, it's gonna be what it's gonna be, so why bother bitching if Dave doesn't sound particularly good?

Probably a healthy attitude to have. Much more than investing any emotional weight to lamenting that Dave could be singing/sounding better. Mostly because even if he were, the reality at this stage of the game is it isn't going to make much of a difference, anyway.

I dunno. It's been this up and down line for me with Roth since 1993, where I keep rooting for the guy to get back on top without realizing that his peak - even back then - was already behind him. I thought his first Vegas period was mildly ridiculous, was psyched when he was recording with Van Halen in 1996, bummed when that didn't culminate into a full-fledged CVH reunion, enjoyed the DLR Band album, enjoyed the Bar-B-Que, thought he looked ridiculous during the Sam and Dave tour and when the Diamond Dave CD was released it has been more down than up for me.

First Van Halen reunion tour, Roth upped his game to about as good as one could have expected. The longer he has hung in there post-2008, for the most part I have gotten the feeling he should have just packed it in after that first Van Halen reunion tour in terms of him going out on a high note. But, he kept hanging around, because what the fuck else is he gonna do, right? Open a Starbucks franchise?

It's just hard for me to accept what he has been doing the last 8 years in terms of the performances he has been turning in. But, people are still willing to pay money to see what he's bringing to the stage, so - honestly - who the fuck am I to complain?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's the thing, he hasn't really performed on a daily basis for 8 years Terry. It's been 3 tours. One was great. Dave almost at his best. Then 2 mediocre ones. Yeah it sucked it happened to him for whatever reason. But he seems to have bounced back pretty good after the first miserable Vegas gig. I'm amazed how people get so hung up on Roth's vocals like he's the only guy out there at an older age struggling a little. Hell since when was Roth ever considered great live anyways ? Maybe that's were it comes from ? So people pile on. But funny you got Joe Elliott & Paul Stanley lip syncing. Don Dokken talking through EVER song on the reunion shows he did with George a few years ago. Talk about awful ! Axl Rose shrieking through half the Guns catalog. Roger Daltrey lost his range 2 decades ago. Bon Jovi ? Don't even get me started on his awful live vocals. Still selling out arenas though right ? YUk. Just watched a newer Scorpions show. He is cooked. Stood there like a statue talking the words. I mean it was so bad I turned it off. Who was better live then him ? Bruce from Maiden maybe ? He is one of the few who still have it. Alice Cooper sounds good. & Paul Rodgers. Who has the crowd sing half the words. I guess that's how he saved his voice ? Dave's voice was horrible in 94 when I saw him. I thought He was cooked. Then he disappeared until 99 and sounded pretty good touring steady up through 2006. I went to see him about 4 times. Ever show he was great. Then somehow he stepped it up another notch for Van Halen for the 07/08 run. Sadly his voice issues seemed like they were not going to get better. But like after 94 they have. As good as 07/08 ? No. But he's doing Just as good as the many other guy's I've mentioned. Yet they all seem to get the free pass. Maybe all that Dave bashing the sisters Van Halen started after he bailed really sunk in with the masses. Talk about the heard following the sheep. Then Hag can't help himself & jumps on board with his delusions of grandeur. Don't even get me started on how great people still think he is live. in closing, My two cents are if you're going to be ripping Roth you should all be on these other bands boards ripping them. I'll start with Robert Plant doing Black Dog country style. Yeah, such integrity Bob. But playing it correctly with Page is sacrilege in his eyes. Spare me.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

First Van Halen reunion tour, Roth upped his game to about as good as one could have expected. The longer he has hung in there post-2008, for the most part I have gotten the feeling he should have just packed it in after that first Van Halen reunion tour in terms of him going out on a high note. But, he kept hanging around, because what the fuck else is he gonna do, right? Open a Starbucks franchise?
    I was going to say relax and enjoy retirement but that's not what most old rock and rollers do. I'm sure Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Roger Daltrey, Pete Townsend , Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Roth and countless other old rockers could live out the rest of their lives in luxury without ever singing or playing another note but they choose not to. With Roth I think it has more to do with loneliness than a need to make more money. But I'm basing that on what I think I know about the man. I'm not married or "living in sin" either but I have a large extended family to keep me company. I'm not sure Roth does.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm amazed how people get so hung up on Roth's vocals like he's the only guy out there at an older age struggling a little.
    This is a David Lee Roth message board. Most of the members here are fans of his because he was a decent singer at one time. Unlike you and Sesh they listen to what he does now and realize he's no longer willing or capable of doing that at a decent level anymore. You obviously can't accept that fact and lash out at others who can by calling them haters and trolls. Comparing him to other musicians who aren't what they once were doesn't make what he does now any better no matter how many times you do it.
    Last edited by cadaverdog; 02-09-2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Missed an S

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is a David Lee Roth message board. Most of the members here are fans of his because he was a decent singer at one time. Unlike you and Sesh they listen to what he does now and realize he's no longer willing or capable of doing that at a decent level anymore. You obviously can't accept that fact and lash out at others who can by calling them haters and trolls. Comparing him to other musicians who aren't what they once were doesn't make what he does now any better no matter how many times you do it.
    That's the thing. You wanna twist my words into Roth is back to 1978 form. Never said it. You still seem hung up.on his 12 & 15 vocals. Are you ready fucking trying to tell me Roth's vocals on these first few gigs are somehow so much worse than he sounded on the Diver Down & 1984 tours ? If you say no he doesn't sound better you're dellusional. I guess you must never go to concerts anymore with all these other guy's not getting it done to your amazingly high standards. If you are why ? It seems so upsetting to you.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 02-09-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And for the record Sesh is correct that a ton of people are giving Roth credit for putting in an effort on these shows. Nobody is saying he's perfect. Even on YouTube shockingly. The Roth bashing capital of the world. People were so upset when he came back in 07 they didn't even notice the effort Roth put in on the tour. It's more fun Dave bashing because he's Dave. It doesn't matter Ed struggled that tour. He's THE KING !! Pathetic. Then again I'm sure most of them were worshipers of his majesty Hag the great.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Are you ready fucking trying to tell me Roth's vocals on these first few gigs are somehow so much worse than he sounded on the Diver Down & 1984 tours ? If you say no he doesn't you're delusional.
    Why would I say no? His vocals are that much worse. I saw VH live at the US Festival in 83 after the Diver Down tour. His vocals where fine that evening. He doesn't even attempt to sing anymore. I think it's you that's delusional.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why would I say no? His vocals are that much worse. I saw VH live at the US Festival in 83 after the Diver Down tour. His vocals where fine that evening. He doesn't even attempt to sing anymore. I think it's you that's delusional.
    He doesn't even attempt to sing anymore ? Spare me. On those two tours He sang about every other line because he was to drunk. Or to busy jumping around the stage. Christ even the Hagar lap dog Eddie Trunk has said Dave tries harder to sing the words now than he did back then. I agree, especially if you're talking about those two tours. But hey you'd know. You were at the U.S. Festival. Have you watched a copy of that train wreck performance ? By ALL of them. I think you also said Ed let Tokyo Live out to upstage Roth. First of all Roth picked the show. no not a good choice by all means......Maybe Roth should've picked a 07 show were he was the best guy on the stage. People would've probably been up in arms saying Roth rerecorded all of his vocals.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, maybe he cannot sing like he used to (and he once really could sing in his own unique way) and maybe we can all bitch and moan as if we are his quality and control personal advisers, but as long as he can get a standing ovation, I will not tell this old fart to stop having fun and making some people happy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJm-qod4E0

49. 2 users say thank you to Jetstream for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-09-2020),katina (03-04-2020)

Thread Information