Sammy Still Begging . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Oh by the way, in case if you were wondering if DLR is out of his yelping phase....

Um, no....

[ Sorry, I can only find the video posted on Toshi's FB page.... ]

https://www.facebook.com/toshimusic/...5920085659905/
    Wow, next year's tour is gonna be awesome...
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Ouch
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
        Oh by the way, in case if you were wondering if DLR is out of his yelping phase....

Um, no....

[ Sorry, I can only find the video posted on Toshi's FB page.... ]

https://www.facebook.com/toshimusic/...5920085659905/
        Honestly, pretty abysmal and painful to listen to.

Does nobody tell Dave this? Apparently not. This was his vocal strategy in 2012, and it's not working.

Sadly, all Roth needs to do is sing and leave the yelping to one side: Roth's normal singing voice now isn't all that great, either, but ditching the yelping would be a marked improvement.

As to the rest of it, all the herky-jerky Wacky Uncle Dave stage theatrics...ugh.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Definitive David Lee Roth?

Motherfuckers still want to see Dave with the EEAS band? Seriously? He couldn't sing those songs properly 15 years ago, he sure as fuck can't (won't) do it now.

It pains me to admit it, but Dave has become a sad caricature of himself.

Comment

Band does a good job on Jump.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Thats not saying a lot tho .... Daves dance moves are getting creepier as the years go by.
              More the clown from it than the frontman from van halen.

People say he can't hit the same register ..... gonna end up on one
              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Where is that footage even from? Has Dave gone back to backyard parties in Pasadena?

I'm assuming this is some sort of private or corporate gig?

Comment

Originally posted by Von Halen View Post
                  Definitive David Lee Roth?

Motherfuckers still want to see Dave with the EEAS band? Seriously? He couldn't sing those songs properly 15 years ago, he sure as fuck can't (won't) do it now.

It pains me to admit it, but Dave has become a sad caricature of himself.
                  I mean, I personally don't get any sense of snarky satisfaction watching Roth's performances as of the last several years and pointing out the nosedive in terms of quality, but what he brings to the stage now...it's past the point of trying to cobble together enough bits of silver to manufacture a lining for the guy.

If Dave can't cut the mustard with Van Halen onstage, regardless of Anthony being in the group or not...shit, Dave isn't even cutting it in those clips...WHY would one think it would be any better with the EEAS band?

And it's just...I don't WANT to say sad, but it is. To me, Roth was one of THE best all-around rock front men of all time. And I don't think it's beyond Roth to come up with new material better suited for what is left of his range these days that could make for interesting listening. But he HAS become a bit of a sad caricature of what he could bring to the stage 40, 30, even 20 years ago. Since 1999, he has just been waning. He took a major dip after the 2007/2008 tour, and hasn't gotten any better since. Just a little less effective with each subsequent outing.

That's a big part of why it matters not to me if Van Halen reforms with Hagar for a tour at this point: there's really nothing left for the band TO do with Roth going forward other than more of the same, and that just isn't cutting it anymore.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by vandeleur View Post
                    Thats not saying a lot tho .... Daves dance moves are getting creepier as the years go by.
                    More the clown from it than the frontman from van halen.

People say he can't hit the same register ..... gonna end up on one
                    Ha!

Comment

I was thinking about something. I remember seeing live Stones footage when I was a young teenager and thinking how bad Mick sounded. Just terrible. It really reminds me of how Dave has become. Then I saw The Stones in 88 and I was really impressed by how much better Mick sounded. Since then it seems he has taken a better shot at trying to sing better. He's still not the most amazing vocalist ever, but he doesn't sound fucking terrible like he did in the early 80's footage. I had heard that he took vocal lessons. Perhaps it did and he got help in his delivery through new techniques, and perhaps it could benefit DLR to do the same. I mean come on Rob Halford blows your fucking eardrums hitting high notes still, it isn't impossible at advanced age to keep a modicum of vocal skills sharp, but I dunno, it seems very similar to me with Mick/DLR except that at one time DLR has some great live vocals(Listen to him do the screams on the first concert of the VHII tour in Outta Love Again-impressive) while Mick never was a vocal ace . But Mick sounds better live now than DLR does. Is it lessons? Is it the material? Is it technique? Is it that he cares a bit more than DLR? Did he take criticism to heart at some point?
                      I just find it very similar and think DLR could get some help and sound better. There are times when you see his approach working better on some songs until he reverts back to a technique that used to serve him well that sabotages him . Hell , I just saw Ratt a few months back and Pearcy notoriously has but ok to downright terrible in the 4 past times I saw him , yet he sounded really good this time.

Comment

I'm thinking VH should do the Dio thing, and just put a hologram of 1980 Dave out there.

Comment

Just like people in later life buy that car that they had when they were young, looking for that "elusive" return to youth through reliving often leaves them empty more than scratches the itch. Things get old, and bands/performers do too, and most of the time it's never pretty......
                          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

Originally posted by Igosplut View Post
                            Just like people in later life buy that car that they had when they were young, looking for that "elusive" return to youth through reliving often leaves them empty more than scratches the itch. Things get old, and bands/performers do too, and most of the time it's never pretty......
                            Nostalgia tours are only worth seeing if the band can reasonably approximate the material onstage as it was originally recorded.

Most times, it is the lead vocals that end up doing these aging bands in for me. I get that it must be a motherfucker to maintain a lead singer's voice when they age. Particularly if their catalog is rife with screaming and high notes sung by a young man in his 20s or 30s: it's just not reasonable to expect that stuff to be replicated 30+ years on.

So these bands tune down from the original recorded versions to give the lead singer some room to breathe and not strain as much. But some of these bands are tuning down more and more as they age to the point where even the instrumentation just sounds weird/off/wrong. And eventually it inevitably reaches a point where the lead singer's voice just gives out in terms of cutting the mustard. Van Halen have reached that point.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Grit View Post
                              At every chance Sammy Hagar can . . . . he tells every interviewer that he lusts for a Van Halen Reunion with Dave and him trading songs. Is it possible that such an event (which I hope never happens) could create a real battle between Dave Fans and Sammy Fans? I can see a Hagar fan booing Dave or vise versa and a huge fight happening. Of course Dave Fans would kick the shit out of Sammy fans but does anyone else think that might happen if they actually toured? . . . Curious.
                              Yes, there would be actual fights and I have mentioned this too before in a post where you allow both fractions of a band with a fractioned identity present a show where one fan based is forced to endure another version which they despise
                              I got lost in the...

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                                Roth's last two tours with the band haven't been all that great from a lead vocal perspective, and that level of performance clearly is what it is now: you either accept it and continue to buy tickets for the shows, or you don't.

In the age of youtube and fan-made videos, potential ticket buyers have an idea very early on in a tour - within a couple of hours of the first show of Van Halen's 2015 tour ending - how the band is sounding. So most people outside of those ticket holders for the initial dates basically know what they're getting. I say all of this because that's how I made my choice not to see any 2015 shows.

So, if Hagar has some bizarre idea that a co-headlining tour would elicit some large-scale reassessment of either of the eras to Hagar's benefit, I mean, clearly he's free to believe that...apparently he believes Van Hagar sold 80 million records, so hyperbole isn't a concept he is unfamiliar with.

I just don't see Dave doing it in the end. I mean, if his personal, individual guarantee was massive...if he had a worthwhile payday for such a tour...maybe he would. As sort of a Last Waltz with a big check handed to him. Because, really, the idea of Dave going back to doing solo gigs in smaller venues...he's on the wrong side of 60 for that stuff, and the demand for Roth solo isn't high. I have no idea what Roth's finances are like - if he's set up for life or not - but I'd have to imagine a big, last payday would be appealing. Juxtaposing that, it'd still be hard to imagine Roth wanting to do such a co-headlining tour. Not because he's afraid of the Hagar comparisons in terms of Roth looking bad, but rather because Roth clearly believes what he did with Van Halen was exceptional, and that Hagar doesn't even deserve to be associated with that body of work.
                                If Dave does not do a tour with Van Halen and share the stage with Hagar, then Hagar will never get justification to be included in what people call 'Van Halen'. Hagar knows this and Dave has complete control of Hagar's Van Halen legacy. Now Hagar has become what he really was, 'a replacement singer'... Hagar touring with Van Halen without Dave does nothing for him and that is why Hagar is willing to do it for free with the whole "give my money to charity for the gig" as a holier than thou excuse to cloak his desperate position
                                I got lost in the...

Comment

Working...
                                X