Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Police managed to get their shit together for a reunion 2003 and i bet that there was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes for the same deal with Van Halen in 2007 but true to form they made a complete fucking mess of it.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      You would imagine they would fix it so that they don't have two huge selling acts with crossover appeal like Dire Straits and Bon Jovi in the one year, would make more sense for them to hold one back for a later year.

It pains me a little bit to put them in the same genre but there will be literally millions of people who bought albums by both of them.
      Well, like twona said, Brothers In Arms and Slippery When Wet were two massive albums in the mid-1980s. You know, how many copies were probably sold to parents buying them for their kids for presents only because they were so massively popular (and not necessarily because the parents had even heard the albums).

But, yeah...I mean, Brothers In Arms oddly isn't even my favorite Straits material, but to have it lumped in with anything Bon Jerkoff did under any circumstances seems a bit...much.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        The Police managed to get their shit together for a reunion 2003 and i bet that there was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes for the same deal with Van Halen in 2007 but true to form they made a complete fucking mess of it.
        I hear The Police are considering recording new music together, which I will be interested to hear should that come to pass.

Doubtless should Van Halen put out something new I'd want to hear that too, but after ADKOT my expectations for new Van Halen music wouldn't be particularly high: Van Halen are a spent force in creative terms.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Last I read Sting said no new Police music, no more big Police tours.

Stewart Copeland is in a new band called Gizmodrome, with Mark King and Adrian Belew. Andy Summers was in a band called Circa Zero but they were only together about a year.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            Last I read Sting said no new Police music, no more big Police tours.

Stewart Copeland is in a new band called Gizmodrome, with Mark King and Adrian Belew. Andy Summers was in a band called Circa Zero but they were only together about a year.
            I heard the Police new album thing on the radio this week, and the upshot was that the band were considering making a new album.

Could be complete bullshit rumor, because I haven't read or heard anything about that in terms of one of the band members confirming it.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              I heard the Police new album thing on the radio this week, and the upshot was that the band were considering making a new album.

Could be complete bullshit rumor, because I haven't read or heard anything about that in terms of one of the band members confirming it.
              Well, if true on the upside it would prevent Sting from making more solo records...

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I googled it earlier and found nothing. They'd be Sting songs anyways. During The Police reunion tour, they played most of the songs the same way Sting did on his solo tours.

57th and 9th was okay. A lot of the reviews said it was Sting's hardest rocking album since Synchronicity, and they were almost right. There are a few fast songs and then a bunch of mid-tempo stuff, just like Synchronicity. I listened to it a few times and haven't been back since.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  I googled it earlier and found nothing. They'd be Sting songs anyways. During The Police reunion tour, they played most of the songs the same way Sting did on his solo tours.

57th and 9th was okay. A lot of the reviews said it was Sting's hardest rocking album since Synchronicity, and they were almost right. There are a few fast songs and then a bunch of mid-tempo stuff, just like Synchronicity. I listened to it a few times and haven't been back since.
                  I dropped off of Sting's solo stuff after...what the fuck was that album that had If I Ever Lose My Faith In You (or whatever the song was titled)...Ten Summoner's Tales or something along those lines.

It's been fairly easy to stay dropped off since that early 1990s point, because any Sting solo stuff that gets played on the radio tends to be from his first two or three solo records anyway: unless one is actively searching out his newer material, it's unlikely one will hear it by accident.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

That's about when I quit. I have Mercury Falling but had to go back and look what was on it.

I saw Sting solo a few times, Blue Turtles tour, Nothing Like The Sun tour the day after I went to see Pink Floyd, and Soul Cages in '91 was the last one. Really started to get like that period Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood stuff: MOR, "adult contemporary" pap.

I remember standing in line for Police reunion tickets. Guy in front of me was a teacher, but could have been a salesman, you know, one of those guys who asks a question and it really doesn't seem like it's a question. He's asking me if I've got Sting's lute album, or some of the later stuff, and I flat out told him he's not going to like this reunion show, none of that shit is going to be played at this show.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I thought, and still think, The Dream Of The Blue Turtles album and the concert in the Bring On The Night movie were brilliant.

I liked Nothing Like The Sun, but it seemed with each subsequent Sting solo effort post-Turtles I found less and less to like, until the title track of Solo Cages, which was an okay tune, but right around the mid-1990s I checked out.

Sting solo had little of the creative tension The Police had, and I think you're 100% right that the longer Sting remained a solo act, the more his material seemed to be crafted for that MOR/Adult Contemporary slot. Which is fine if that's what he wanted to do, but when he was making that transition I was still in my mid-to-late 20s, and I still wanted a bit more from the bands/artists I liked than mere background music while consuming brunch with married couples friends on a Sunday mid-morning before I spent the remainder of the day antiquing.

I loved The Police. Was lucky enough to see them on the Synchronicity tour when my friends older sister took us along with her boyfriend (the two of whom proceeded to get high as kites on skunkweed throughout the show). I wasn't really bowled over with the footage I saw of the reunion tour prior to them playing in my area, so I didn't bother going. Sting gave off an attitude like he was doing Copeland and Summers a favor by reuniting, which in a way I suppose he was, but it took all three of them to make that sound: I never thought Copeland and Summers were merely Sting's sidemen when the band was active in the 1970s/1980s. For me, the drumming and guitar work was just as crucial as the vocals and the tunes (the majority of which Sting wrote).
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If the fucking cheese factory Bon Jovi is inducted into the HOF before Judas Priest or the MC5, then they might as well pull the plug on the whole fucking thing.

I thought the whole point of the Hall of Fame was to honor bands & artists who have had some sort of influence or impact on music? Who the fuck was influenced by Bon Jovi???
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

For the record, FORD's votes....

Bon Jovi - NO (For the love of God, no!)

Depeche Mode - YES

Dire Straits - YES

Eurythmics - YES (probably will get in because everybody in the music world seems to like Dave Stewart)

J. Geils Band - YES

Judas Priest - HELL YES

Kate Bush - YES (not a big fan, but she probably influenced a generation of chick singers, so why not)

Link Wray - YES (because you always have to throw in one of these really old dudes that was left off the previous ballots)

LL Cool J - NO (Not opposed to rappers being in the HOF, but did this guy really influence rock n roll at all?)

MC5 - FUCK YES Kick out the jams, muthafucka!

Nina Simone - Better her than Bon Jovi

Radiohead - NO (never got what was so great about these guys anyway)

Rage Against The Machine - YES (but not necessarily on the first ballot. Have they really been around 25 years already?? Geezus..... )

Rufus with Chaka Khan - YES (If "Tell Me Something Good" was the only thing they did, it would be more deserving than the entire careers of Bon Jovi & Radiohead combined)

Sister Rosetta Tharpe NO (only because I don't have any fucking idea who she is. Gospel singer? Nun who plays the blues??)

The Cars YES (But no Todd Rundgren performing with them. That album was an abortion)

The Meters NO (all I know about these guys was that their drummer was in the New Barbarians in 1979. Couldn't name a single song from them)

The Moody Blues YES (as long as they aren't allowed to mention their godawful 80s albums. But the 60s stuff was pretty good)

The Zombies YES (Not sure how influential they were, but they had some huge hits that still get played on the radio decades later, so they did something right)
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

You DO NOT get to speak about the great Depeche Mode on here.

Stick to your shitty hair bands and eat a dick.

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

Dave Stewart is a horrible mackem ......... just saying
                              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

...says one toothless limey about another.

Comment

Working...