The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Ya know guys, I'm just not sure...

I really miss those lyrics like "Owww", "C'mon Baby", "Dig it", every five fucking seconds....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• jero
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Great tune, reminds me of Down in Flames

Comment

• moose
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

After listening to it a few times I find that
        It's ok...not what I expected.......thought it would be a bit more old school
        Van Halen, you know 10 days in the studio.....RAW SOUNDING....not refined
        And it's "housewife to Bombshell"
        :-)

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

This song is bringing a truckload of groove.

Can't wait to hear how they revamped Bullethead.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by moose
            And it's "housewife to Bombshell"
            :-)
            No...it's "mousewife to momshell"

The lip sync is actually in phase for those parts, and watch the way their lips form when they say it.
            Originally posted by perilouspete
            fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• moose
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
              No...it's "mousewife to momshell"

The lip sync is actually in phase for those parts, and watch the way their lips form when they say it.
              Where can I see the full video bro?

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by moose
                Where can I see the full video bro?
                In this very thread...somewhere many pages back...

-OR-

On the home page of this very website...

-OR-

on YouTube...

-OR-

at the Van Halen News Desk...
                Originally posted by perilouspete
                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• LUDWIG USA
                  Groupie
                  • Apr 2009

I love It!!! Epic with a touch of bombastic and a pinch of stellar........I feel young again........Wooooooh....Yeeeeea!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• vh rides again
                    Commando
                    • Dec 2006

It's alright

I figure this is their attempt at a radio friendly song, I hope it is successful.

I hope they have some good hard sounding songs on the rest of the disc.

I'm not disappointed.

Comment

• GennyVH
                      Groupie
                      • May 2011

Van Halen are back!!!!!!!!!!

I fuckin' love the video and the song!!!!!

Comment

• LUDWIG USA
                        Groupie
                        • Apr 2009

I respect how Alex allways drums for the song first and foremost, never trys to over play and get to bussy. I think he did a great job on this one!!!

Comment

• lesfunk
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

well, it took a little osmosis, but now I Cant Get TATTOO out of my head! The video makes it better! Van Halen has unleashed a Monster!
                          http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Jagermeister
                            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by lesfunk
                            well, it took a little osmosis, but now I Cant Get TATTOO out of my head! The video makes it better! Van Halen has unleashed a Monster!
                            Pace yourself.

Comment

• K-tuna
                              Groupie
                              • Jan 2012

I bought the single. I listened to it multiple times. Listening to it now.

Just not enjoying it. I felt the same way with the 30 and 90 second preview. I couldn't quite put my finger on why before, but i have some idea. I WISH i could like it as much as some of you other guys ( or al least talk myself into liking liking like some of you seem to be).

I Love the 6 pack and I've been listening to VH since high school ( I was born in the early 70's ) and I've been waiting for things to go well with the Guys and Dave.

But this tune is uneven. The verses are clever and the Riffs and leads are smooth as hell. Some of the other lyrics are just cheesy ( "swap meet Sally..." really? and some of you are looking to even see what that means because its obscure and outdated ) "show me your/sexy dragon magic" .....ouch.

Also, I really don't need Dave to tell me about the Unions ( their purpose is fine but their leadership are thugs and bullies ) and his politics. ( BTW---this verse wasn't in the preview or else I would've brought it up then and to be fair , I don't wanna hear any musicians, writers, sports figures or actors politics--- I listen to music to get away from that crap).

Also , something about the synths in this make it feel like a leftover Robert Palmer tune ( for better or worse ).

I STILL think strategically, this song being the first release was a bad move...ESPECIALLY because of the good will they got in the press after the Cafe Wha' performance. Yeah , I know this was concrete before the gig, but i woulda scrambled to get STW out there instead.

I still have very high hopes for the rest of the album but this is a b-side at best.

BTW, NO WAY IN HELL does this out shine MWM. ( Still can't believe Im reading that one from some folks ).

let the flaming commence..... :P
                              Last edited by K-tuna; 01-10-2012, 01:01 PM.
                              "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                                Ya know guys, I'm just not sure...

I really miss those lyrics like "Owww", "C'mon Baby", "Dig it", every five fucking seconds....

Everyone has an opinion and music is subjective but I can't believe the comments you see from Van Hagar fans complaining about the lyrics.

I guess they are just really dumb and liked the Hagar lyrics as they were at the limit of their reading level...

Comment

Working...