Thread: 'Van Halen Rising' Book Chat with Greg Renoff - Oct. 17th, 9pm ET

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-24-2015 @ 06:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Happy to say I don't want to read this book! I don't want to know any more about this band. The last 37 years would have been a lot happier if I was just a casual fan that liked their music than one that lived through the soap opera and the dirty laundry for most of my lifetime.

Happy to be over it finally.

Hope it's a success though for those involved!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Northern Girl for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-20-2015),Anonymous (10-20-2015),DavidLeeNatra (10-20-2015)

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    Happy to say I don't want to read this book! I don't want to know any more about this band. The last 37 years would have been a lot happier if I was just a casual fan that liked their music than one that lived through the soap opera and the dirty laundry for most of my lifetime.

NO- You don't understand......this is not a cheap ass tabloid bullshit gossip book or a cut & paste mish mash clusterfuck of stuff we already know......

This book is a high quality super highly detailed deep in depth chronological synapsis of factual anecdotes outlining the formation of VH from before the beginning even began...

We've heard of Trojan Rubber Company and Genesis......this book chronicles the details and fills in the blanks. So many names never known or mentioned before*have been interviewed and quoted in this book. So many bass players jammed with the brothers.

The author interviewed EVH & AVH's high school peers and outlines the detailed timeline of who where and what they played in the late 60's up to 1973 when they finally hooked up with Dave.

Dave's band Red Ball Jet previously had absolutely NO information AT ALL about them until this book. The pictures alone are more than worth the price of the book.

NEVER before had I seen pictures of Red Ball Jet and that flyer. Absolutely amazing chapter jam packed with brand new information that's NEVER been chronicled before. EVER. This is THE FIRST book to shed light on Dave's Red Ball Jet band.

Too much to mention in an internet post. The book is reasonably priced there's no excuse not to scoop up a copy. Every VH fan will be more than pleased with it.

Kirk Hammet is stoked to get his copy.

This book undoubtedly sets a benchmark for rock biographies. To reach out and interview all those folks from Pasadena who knew VH back then and capture their recollections for our enjoyment and knowledge is quite an amazing feat.

There's a zillion other things to rave about but I've got to take a leak. Buy the fucking book you'll be glad you did.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. 3 users say thank you to big fatty for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (10-20-2015),VAiN (10-22-2015),Von Halen (10-20-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    i think we got koozies....
    Praise be Koozies...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,999 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    NO- You don't understand......this is not a cheap ass tabloid bullshit gossip book or a cut & paste mish mash clusterfuck of stuff we already know......

This book is a high quality super highly detailed deep in depth chronological synapsis of factual anecdotes outlining the formation of VH from before the beginning even began...

We've heard of Trojan Rubber Company and Genesis......this book chronicles the details and fills in the blanks. So many names never known or mentioned before*have been interviewed and quoted in this book. So many bass players jammed with the brothers.

The author interviewed EVH & AVH's high school peers and outlines the detailed timeline of who where and what they played in the late 60's up to 1973 when they finally hooked up with Dave.

Dave's band Red Ball Jet previously had absolutely NO information AT ALL about them until this book. The pictures alone are more than worth the price of the book.

NEVER before had I seen pictures of Red Ball Jet and that flyer. Absolutely amazing chapter jam packed with brand new information that's NEVER been chronicled before. EVER. This is THE FIRST book to shed light on Dave's Red Ball Jet band.

Too much to mention in an internet post. The book is reasonably priced there's no excuse not to scoop up a copy. Every VH fan will be more than pleased with it.

Kirk Hammet is stoked to get his copy.

This book undoubtedly sets a benchmark for rock biographies. To reach out and interview all those folks from Pasadena who knew VH back then and capture their recollections for our enjoyment and knowledge is quite an amazing feat.

There's a zillion other things to rave about but I've got to take a leak. Buy the fucking book you'll be glad you did.
    Excellent description of the book.

I was amazed at the detail. I fucking loved reading about the backyard parties, all the jam sessions, playing in bars, and all the stuff Greg covered. Page after page, I sat there saying to myself, "How lucky were those fuckers that were there for those experiences".

7. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (10-20-2015),VAiN (10-22-2015)

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

#1 Best seller on Amazon doesn't just happen by accident.

The promotion has been deadeye steadfast & diligently consistent from the get go two years ago from the VH Rising Tumbler page and shows how " Taking it to the Streets" can get things done.

Now still awaiting a review or mention rom Rolling Stone magazine.

I wish they would've promoted " VAN HALEN; Exuberant California; Zen Rock and Roll" by John Scanlon the same way as VH Rising with a little promotion to raise the profile.

It's an outstanding unique profile of the band drawing numerous parallels from pop culture that paint the picture in bright vivid colours that dazzle your eyes and steam your senses truly a captivating read. A must have for all VH fans.

9. Thanked big fatty for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-20-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wish they would've promoted " VAN HALEN; Exuberant California; Zen Rock and Roll" by John Scanlon the same way as VH Rising with a little promotion to raise the profile.

It's an outstanding unique profile of the band drawing numerous parallels from pop culture that paint the picture in bright vivid colours that dazzle your eyes and steam your senses truly a captivating read. A must have for all VH fans.
    Agreed. I didn't even know about this book, but DONNIEP told me I should get it, so I did. If you're a fan of Van Halen, there is no reason not to read either of these books.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

Finally, someone with good sense!

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post

I was amazed at the detail. I fucking loved reading about the backyard parties, all the jam sessions, playing in bars, and all the stuff Greg covered. Page after page, I sat there saying to myself, "How lucky were those fuckers that were there for those experiences".

Dolemite MFR!! I had high expectations and they were thoroughly exceeded.

I knew about the EVH Goldenwest incident when VH opened for UFO..... But the anecdotes preceding the show....DLR saying he felt bad for Micheal Schenker..... then someone asks why???......Dave said EVH is gonna wipe the floor with him......

Then afterwards.....Phil Moog telling the guys....."You fucked with Micheal....he's Fucked Up".....

Welcome To America Motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!

UFO thought they were BIG SHIT.... About the hit the Big Time......

Then VAN HALEN opens up and blows them the fuck away!!!!!!!!

Dolemite Motherfucker!!!!

Dave called it days before he was telling everybody.

It's a Mans world bitches.

There's a lesson there to be learned....

Don't let VAN HALEN open your show.

13. 2 users say thank you to big fatty for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (10-21-2015),Von Halen (10-20-2015)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

"How lucky were those fuckers that were there for those experiences".
    That's how I feel about bastards like you that saw them multiple times in the glory days!

What was your favorite old school show and why?

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    That's how I feel about bastards like you that saw them multiple times in the glory days!

Front row for Fair Warning tour. Was so damned loud and the lighting rig was giving us in the front a sunburn! Unbelievable that they could perform under those heat lamps.
    Favorite memory: I threw a joint on stage and Dave stopped the song and had a roadie come out and fire it up!

16. 2 users say thank you to private parts for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-20-2015),chuckjitsu (10-20-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man, that's tough. The first one is hard to beat, because the anticipation was so great. Then Heavy pulling us into the pit for the show, just made it even better. They were just on fire. I will never, ever forget Ed fucking running and jump kicking the wall of speakers over and over. They were rocking so much, I thought for sure they were going to fall over. What could be better than having the Mighty Van Halen standing right over you, on their first world tour?

I would honestly have to say, my favorites are exactly in the order they appeared. The 80 Invasion was my second favorite show, with the 1984 show coming in last. 84 was my least favorite, because Dave just seemed to throw off the tempo a little, with all the costume changes, and a lot of it being about him. Don't get me wrong, still a KILLER show, but not as good as the rest. The fucking stage was unbelievable though. What a spectacle.

The 80 Invasion show was the one where they seemed like they were having the best time. From Ed taking a bottle of JD from Dave and "hiding" it on the speakers (I have pics of Dave crawling (sneaking) up to steal it, to Dave pretending somebody threw a joint on stage, stopping the show and calling a roadie on stage to light the joint for him. There was no doubt at that point in time, they were the kings. They knew it. The crowd knew it. It was one big raucous party, with the best music ever, as the soundtrack.

I apologize for watermarking these, but I've recently had issues with people stealing my photo's and posting them in other places, without acknowledging they're mine.

18. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (10-20-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

As far as VH books go, there are 3 important reads with 3 different reasons.

Everybody Wants Some!! - The history of the band's recording years
    Van Halen; Exuberant California; Zen Rock and Roll - the explanation of the band's mystique
    Van Halen Rising - the history of the band's creation

Lots of other good ones out there, but if VH were to be a college course, these would have to be required reading, along with Crazy From The Heat.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dolemite MFR!! I had high expectations and they were thoroughly exceeded.

I knew about the EVH Goldenwest incident when VH opened for UFO..... But the anecdotes preceding the show....DLR saying he felt bad for Micheal Schenker..... then someone asks why???......Dave said EVH is gonna wipe the floor with him......

Then afterwards.....Phil Moog telling the guys....."You fucked with Micheal....he's Fucked Up".....

Welcome To America Motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!

UFO thought they were BIG SHIT.... About the hit the Big Time......

Then VAN HALEN opens up and blows them the fuck away!!!!!!!!

Dolemite Motherfucker!!!!

Dave called it days before he was telling everybody.

It's a Mans world bitches.

There's a lesson there to be learned....

Don't let VAN HALEN open your show.
    I might be in the minority but that doesn't sound like something that would endear me to any band. If I was in UFO I'd have kicked them off the tour that night. I liked Dave's comments about The Clash at the US Festival but I heard The Clash bad mouthing Van Halen the night before from the house we were hanging out at across the freeway from the venue.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I might be in the minority but that doesn't sound like something that would endear me to any band. If I was in UFO I'd have kicked them off the tour that night. I liked Dave's comments about The Clash at the US Festival but I heard The Clash bad mouthing Van Halen the night before from the house we were hanging out at across the freeway from the venue.
    You need to read the book, before you comment on what happened. It wasn't a tour. It was a one off show. UFO was in town to make their mark. VH hadn't made it yet. They were on a mission. Theoretically, it was a competition, and VH not only won that night, they won in the big picture.

They did go on to blow Black Sabbath off the stage every night on a tour, and Ozzy admits it. That also is detailed in the book.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man, that's tough. The first one is hard to beat, because the anticipation was so great. Then Heavy pulling us into the pit for the show, just made it even better. They were just on fire. I will never, ever forget Ed fucking running and jump kicking the wall of speakers over and over. They were rocking so much, I thought for sure they were going to fall over. What could be better than having the Mighty Van Halen standing right over you, on their first world tour?

I would honestly have to say, my favorites are exactly in the order they appeared. The 80 Invasion was my second favorite show, with the 1984 show coming in last. 84 was my least favorite, because Dave just seemed to throw off the tempo a little, with all the costume changes, and a lot of it being about him. Don't get me wrong, still a KILLER show, but not as good as the rest. The fucking stage was unbelievable though. What a spectacle.

The 80 Invasion show was the one where they seemed like they were having the best time. From Ed taking a bottle of JD from Dave and "hiding" it on the speakers (I have pics of Dave crawling (sneaking) up to steal it, to Dave pretending somebody threw a joint on stage, stopping the show and calling a roadie on stage to light the joint for him. There was no doubt at that point in time, they were the kings. They knew it. The crowd knew it. It was one big raucous party, with the best music ever, as the soundtrack.

I apologize for watermarking these, but I've recently had issues with people stealing my photo's and posting them in other places, without acknowledging they're mine.
    Another tough one for you. If you could hot tub time machine back to one and only one of the shows you saw back in the day, which one would it be? Based on your comment, sounds like the '79 show was your fave, but would that be the one you'd go back to if you could only see one?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by private parts View Post
    Front row for Fair Warning tour. Was so damned loud and the lighting rig was giving us in the front a sunburn! Unbelievable that they could perform under those heat lamps.
    Favorite memory: I threw a joint on stage and Dave stopped the song and had a roadie come out and fire it up!
    Where'd you see them on that tour?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Another tough one for you. If you could hot tub time machine back to one and only one of the shows you saw back in the day, which one would it be? Based on your comment, sounds like the '79 show was your fave, but would that be the one you'd go back to if you could only see one?
    Actually, I'd probably go with the 80 Invasion show.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Von, did you see them in '82? I don't recall seeing any pics from that show.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Von, did you see them in '82? I don't recall seeing any pics from that show.

I don't have all my photo's on my computer. I seem to have misplaced some. Is this 82?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't have all my photo's on my computer. I seem to have misplaced some. Is this 82?
    I think those are Dave's '81 football pants. Is this that same jacket?
    image.jpg

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    NO- You don't understand.......
    No, YOU don't understand. I'm sure it's great, but I don't care beyond the music anymore. I couldn't even bring myself to read your synopsis.

Since '78, I was Van Halen obsessed. I had to have everything I could get my hands on. I had everything VH you could buy plus a trunk full of 5 inch thick scrapbooks full of every magazine article and picture I collected for years.

But a few years back I'm happy to say I was able to let it all go...so I gave it all away...hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. (Zing! got the last of it last summer.) I still have all the music and kept a boot from each tour. I kept a little paperback of Dave's book and two of the original VH necklaces. I'm not interested in anything else and couldn't be happier about that.

You probably don't get that, but you don't have to.

29. 4 users say thank you to Northern Girl for this KICKASS post:

Anonymous (10-20-2015),DavidLeeNatra (10-21-2015),DLR Bridge (10-20-2015),Terry (09-16-2017)

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

No, YOU don't understand. I'm sure it's great, but I don't care beyond the music anymore. I couldn't even bring myself to read your synopsis.

Since '78, I was Van Halen obsessed. I had to have everything I could get my hands on. I had everything VH you could buy plus a trunk full of 5 inch thick scrapbooks full of every magazine article and picture I collected for years.

But a few years back I'm happy to say I was able to let it all go...so I gave it all away...hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. (Zing! got the last of it last summer.) I still have all the music and kept a boot from each tour. I kept a little paperback of Dave's book and two of the original VH necklaces. I'm not interested in anything else and couldn't be happier about that.

The music is good. The rest is bullshit.

31. Thanked Anonymous for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-16-2017)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Dayum!! That pic could be 1981, 1982, or 2002! People bitch about Dave going back to his old look/stage antics in the late 90s/early 2000s but if I didn't know better I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between some pics from those tours.

And yes, I cropped The Bitter Old Cunt out of the picture. Fuck that guy.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can see where you're coming from. They've been an exhausting band to follow and enjoy. It is their fault that they've got fans like you who've taken it upon themselves to scale back their interest or dedication to them. I've got friends who were as nuts about them as me who don't know and don't care what the band is up to these days. That's not to say that they'd turn off Unchained if it came on the car radio. I get that. Me? I'm still a hooked sucker. No big 'ting.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I can see where you're coming from. They've been an exhausting band to follow and enjoy. It is their fault that they've got fans like you who've taken it upon themselves to scale back their interest or dedication to them. I've got friends who were as nuts about them as me who don't know and don't care what the band is up to these days. That's not to say that they'd turn off Unchained if it came on the car radio. I get that. Me? I'm still a hooked sucker. No big 'ting.
    Nope, no big 'ting. It's funny though how bad some people need to be right and convince you your feelings are wrong. Makes me giggle.

I'm not washing my hands of them or anything. I'm more interested in the future than the past. If there is any future. But since info from them is so scarce, I'm not sitting around rehashing, speculating, predicting or even hoping for anything. Whatevs.

35. Thanked Northern Girl for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-16-2017)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Whatevs.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Where'd you see them on that tour?
    Knoxville Tn! And the joint I threw on stage was the real deal. I did hear Dave say later on that it sort of became part of the show.
    They busted him in Cincinnati after someone threw a joint on stage and he told the crowd to light up! Chief of Police and Fire Marshall
    were waiting for him backstage.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Believe that was Diver Down tour

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by private parts View Post
    Knoxville Tn! And the joint I threw on stage was the real deal. I did hear Dave say later on that it sort of became part of the show.
    They busted him in Cincinnati after someone threw a joint on stage and he told the crowd to light up! Chief of Police and Fire Marshall
    were waiting for him backstage.
    That was all before the Fair Warning tour, as indicated by my pic from the 80 Invasion tour.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great pics btw!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

I got to meet a bunch of those people in Pasadena and was thinking the same thing!

42. 2 users say thank you to VAiN for this KICKASS post:

Dan (10-23-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (10-22-2015)

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

After Speaking To Pete's Brother Over A Few Beers,He Said He Meet Up With Very Cool Peeps From The Roth Army and Sweet As Peeps at the Book Signing.

44. 3 users say thank you to Dan for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-24-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (10-24-2015),VAiN (10-26-2015)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-20-2024 @ 03:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Just wanted to thank you for the spam that I received last night to inform me of this event. You fuckers were very timely...

"Dear former, present and future Roth Army participants:

We would like to invite you to a chat hosted by the Roth Army with Greg Renoff, Author of the new Van Halen Rising book that is now available and a #1 seller on Amazon, as well as the Van Halen Store. This book chronicles Van Halen's early years. The beginning. The trials, tribulations and pure fucking working ethic it took for a band that started out with the gay ass name of Genesis (thank goodness Phil fucking Collins ended up with that band name) then became Mammoth, and ultimately became the band we have known them to be for over 30 years, Van Halen. This book is a must read for any true Van Halen fan. You may think you know all there is to know about this band, but you will learn a few things from reading this book. The book ends as the band gets ready to embark on its first headlining world tour. Everything in this book is concentrated on all the stuff you've heard about over the years, but had never really been investigated and written about. That's right, the backyard parties. Covered, in depth. Dave auditioning in the early 70's, and getting shunned by Ed and Al. The path that the Van Halen's and Dave took, that finally got them together. The Gene Simmons Demo's. The night after night of playing seedy bars. The other musicians that became famous rock stars too. It's all in this great book about our favorite band, in great detail. Greg turned over rocks (maybe even some fossils!) during his research. It's all here, in Van Halen Rising - How A Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal.

Greg will be here to answer any questions you have. Well, not any questions. We know some of you are real dumbasses, and might ask something really stupid, so that won't be allowed. But, if you have any book or VH related questions for Greg, join us on Saturday October 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM EST here on the Roth Army for this event.

If you haven't been on the Roth Army in awhile, because you're too busy being in everybody's business on Facebook, or some other stupid social media avenue, or your Mom turned off the wifi in the basement, we're still alive and kicking. Granted, now that we're primarily run by a guy in a skirt, we're a lot more tame than we used to be. But hey, we're still the Roth motherfucking Army. We still honor the front man of the greatest American rock band on the planet. We still carry the Roth Army spirit.

We better fucking see you Saturday night, motherfuckers!"

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Whoever sent that lied. Stupid questions were asked. And answered. EVH has a small penis.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tommyv View Post
    Just wanted to thank you for the spam that I received last night to inform me of this event. You fuckers were very timely...

"Dear former, present and future Roth Army participants:

We would like to invite you to a chat hosted by the Roth Army with Greg Renoff, Author of the new Van Halen Rising book that is now available and a #1 seller on Amazon, as well as the Van Halen Store. This book chronicles Van Halen's early years. The beginning. The trials, tribulations and pure fucking working ethic it took for a band that started out with the gay ass name of Genesis (thank goodness Phil fucking Collins ended up with that band name) then became Mammoth, and ultimately became the band we have known them to be for over 30 years, Van Halen. This book is a must read for any true Van Halen fan. You may think you know all there is to know about this band, but you will learn a few things from reading this book. The book ends as the band gets ready to embark on its first headlining world tour. Everything in this book is concentrated on all the stuff you've heard about over the years, but had never really been investigated and written about. That's right, the backyard parties. Covered, in depth. Dave auditioning in the early 70's, and getting shunned by Ed and Al. The path that the Van Halen's and Dave took, that finally got them together. The Gene Simmons Demo's. The night after night of playing seedy bars. The other musicians that became famous rock stars too. It's all in this great book about our favorite band, in great detail. Greg turned over rocks (maybe even some fossils!) during his research. It's all here, in Van Halen Rising - How A Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal.

Greg will be here to answer any questions you have. Well, not any questions. We know some of you are real dumbasses, and might ask something really stupid, so that won't be allowed. But, if you have any book or VH related questions for Greg, join us on Saturday October 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM EST here on the Roth Army for this event.

If you haven't been on the Roth Army in awhile, because you're too busy being in everybody's business on Facebook, or some other stupid social media avenue, or your Mom turned off the wifi in the basement, we're still alive and kicking. Granted, now that we're primarily run by a guy in a skirt, we're a lot more tame than we used to be. But hey, we're still the Roth motherfucking Army. We still honor the front man of the greatest American rock band on the planet. We still carry the Roth Army spirit.

We better fucking see you Saturday night, motherfuckers!"
    Technical difficulties my friend. That's the honest truth.

We did way too big of an undertaking, all at once, with the switching of hosts, the database transfer, and the chat room. Not to mention the fucking piece of shit forum software that is VBulletin.

48. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-25-2015)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    Agreed. I didn't even know about this book, but DONNIEP told me I should get it, so I did. If you're a fan of Van Halen, there is no reason not to read either of these books.
    ..and then one can sell out and go corporate.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Cool pics Von!

Welcome to the Army Greg.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    Technical difficulties my friend. That's the honest truth.

We did way too big of an undertaking, all at once, with the switching of hosts, the database transfer, and the chat room. Not to mention the fucking piece of shit forum software that is VBulletin.
    Hey at least y'all are consistent when it comes to website challenges... That's what gives this place that comfy feeling of being at home vibe!! LOL

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds like you are happy too be getting old ! Bummer. Book is awesome. And I don't read.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    ..and then one can sell out and go corporate.
    Why are you here anyways ? You don't even like Van Halen ! Book is very interesting why not give it some pub ?

54. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (11-03-2015)

Thread Information