• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I've just realized if this box set appeared I don't have ready access to a DVD player, I think I have one in the attic and the only CD player I have set up at the moment is in my car.

They better get a move on if they want to monetize this.
    I keep buying CD's and have to rip them on my old laptop. I didn't put an optical drive in the last desktop I built.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

5150 was originally intended to be a rehearsal space and used recording equipment was installed to record ideas and demos. It never was intended to record albums in but they ended up doing it. Ed said mostly what’s in the vault is recordings of guitar parts and riffs. Raw ideas to speak. The guitar nerds would be interested in that stuff but maybe the fan base in general wouldn’t be.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I doubt there’s anything mind blowing we haven’t seen yet. Ted Templeman would definitely make sure the real good stuff made it on an album. People think there is some tomb full of hidden treasures. I think it’s songs that didn’t make the cut and lots of noodling.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          I doubt there’s anything mind blowing we haven’t seen yet. Ted Templeman would definitely make sure the real good stuff made it on an album. People think there is some tomb full of hidden treasures. I think it’s songs that didn’t make the cut and lots of noodling.
          Obviously you didn't read what MA said.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
            We will be approaching 70 years old by the time CVH rarities are released from the vault. Imagine. 70 years old and we look forward to the release date. Move on. Nothing to see or hear.
            This gives me hope... 70 is just a few summers away for me! LOL
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I would think the final VH release of the live album would show that the remaining members aren't going to be obsessed about any "warts" like missed lyrics and flubbed guitar like they would have been circa 2002....

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                Obviously you didn't read what MA said.
                I didn’t read anything. I listened to an interview with Mike and all he said was the band filmed their shows to view to make their stage presence better and there was unreleased video and music various members of the band had. He was mostly talking about Alex being the hold up on doing an Eddie Van Halen tributes.

Ed himself mentioned what was in his vault. It’s recorded ideas for songs. Instead of writing notation down he put it on tape. It’s why 5150 was built. Now if you want to hear hours of Ed noodling and that’s interesting to you then that’s what’s there. It was cataloged on a computer that crashed and the index is gone. Someone has to listen to all that stuff and pull out what might be interesting.

Wolfgang is too busy to do it. I really doubt Al will. I have the gut feeling Al ain’t going to do anything. I don’t think cashing in on legacy is important to him.
                Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-28-2023, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Hell. The only band member who cares about Van Halen fans is Mike and that’s because he’s a fan himself. He’s the one Al stabbed in the back but they talk. Sam says Al won’t give him the time of day. Probably because Al knows Sam is about shameless self-promotion and money. Sam is all $$$$$ and Al knows it. Dave is lost in his own private YouTube world. Wolfgang is an asshole who shits on and teases Van Halen fans.

The ball is in Alex’s court and frankly, losing Ed hit him hard. He ain’t ready to deal with all the bullshit.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

If Mike was put in charge of things it would happen. He would be the best guy to get things rolling but Sam would be up his ass.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

The only hope is Al’s kids. If you are an avid Van Halen fan Wolfgang will wipe his fat greasy ass with you.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                        Is it too much to ask for a decent reissue of the CVH years? That's all I want. A retrospective, if you will that contains a acceptable remastering with no gimmicks and nothing added or taken away. I want photos of the sessions or even live tour ones that no one else has seen, interviews, gear talk, song writing process, all that shit. If Schleppy can do it why can the fucktards at Warner Brothers? I could give shit snot less about "rare videos" from the F A T Red Cocker shenanigans or what that idiot brought to the table in terms of his stupid lyrical input.

I want a nice box set that I can put on my shelf with my other box sets that I can listen to at will when I take a boatload of drugs. The 2015 reissues were okay and just that but I spend a lot of money on drugs and want my drugs to work for me and there is nothing more buzzkill than hearing S P A M M Y squelching out Right Now for a fucking corporation like Pepsi. No one is going to purchase that S P A M M Y-era shit other than his feces throwing monkey fan base of brain dead imbeciles. Yes, today's Roth is sad and it painful seeing him lose his god damn mind to what I can guess are the early stages of dementia but from what, 78-84-ish, Roth was brilliant.

Again, it is too much to ask?
                        I'm kinda lukewarm on (yet another) CVH reissue, unless it contained a lot of extras...but I'd certainly still have a strong interest in a CVH live audio/video box set.

I remain plain stumped as to why it hasn't come to pass yet. I figured once Roth rejoined after the first reunion tour something along those lines would happen, back when people were still buying DVDs: as Sesh says, were they to do it now it may well have to be via a streaming download.

The only thing I can figure is maybe it's as Nickd says, in that there's some sort of snafu with ownership rights and licensing the footage for sale - which entities/persons are entitled to whatever percentage of the cut - because outside of that the only other thing I can figure is Ed and /or Al just didn't want to do it because it was re-emphasizing the CVH years...but then the Van Halens were doing that from 2007-2015 anyway, so at that point 3 nostalgia tours in with Dave, what's the point of NOT putting out old CVH concerts for purchase? Especially after the Tokyo Dome release came and went with a whimper.

But, no, I don't think it is too much to ask...yet seemingly doing that is impossible while it's within the wheelhouse to re-release the Van Hagar stuff. I mean, it's not as if one is asking Roth, Alex or Mike Anthony to physically edit the material and prepare it for purchase. As mentioned on the thread, doubtless there wouldn't be a shortage of capable professionals used to working with/restoring old footage that could do the hands-on.

Fucking bizarre, but then Van Halen's whole modus operandi post-1995 was a bit scattershot.
                        Last edited by Terry; 04-28-2023, 05:50 PM.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          This gives me hope... 70 is just a few summers away for me! LOL
                          It's a bit more than a few for me, but not TOO much more than a few...and last time I checked I wasn't gettin' any younger!
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

The only reason any of the VH Roth reunion stuff happened was because of Wolfgang. Wolf said the motive of even doing reunions at all is Eddie was such a mess. The family thought being the pro he was, having the responsibility of having to do shows would break him out of the funk. Didn’t work.

What helped Eddie was His second wife Janie. She cleaned him up. He had one last good tour because of her.

Anyways Ed needed to be kept busy because an addict who can afford the seclusion and the fix ain’t a good combination.

What’s to motivate anything else from happening? Al is sober. He doesn’t seem to care about the money. If Sam was in charge he would put Gene Simmons to shame. There would be Van Halen butt plugs. Lube and rainbow body glitter would be included with the boxed set of Van Halen the Hagar years. A new track called Reams would be a bonus addition.
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-28-2023, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

From what I saw and heard, by the time the VHIII album and tour was over Ed was content to basically get fucked up. Sad part for me was hearing his ability wither on that 2004 tour because he plainly wasn't in a condition to play well, which was something new and troubling; whatever one thought of the VHIII album, Ed was still able to...you know...PLAY THE FUCKING GUITAR as well as he ever had. Seeing him futzing around at that 2006 NAMM show, I wasn't even sure I WANTED a reunion with Roth at that point if Ed wasn't up to it.

Ed had an uneven 2007/2008 tour, but the last two Roth tours he was at least back in relative command of his instrument inasmuch as he could execute the CVH parts competently. Shit, when I saw the band in Tampa in 2012 and they played Girl Gone Bad it sounded like Ed hadn't lost a lick since 1984...gave me 'de chills how G-U-D good he was playing. Ed being able to get his playing back up to that CVH level shouldn't have been an achievement...except for it was. And it was a nice ending to Ed's career and for me as a fan that Ed's last two tours displayed him playing well and giving flashes of the brilliance that turned me on all those years ago. Nostalgia? Yep, 100%, but at least Ed was able to deliver the goods in the end, even if it was merely looking backwards.

Whatever else I think about Ed's kid, if [Wolfgang] was the reason Ed managed to pull himself out of his alcohol-saturated/drug-addled seclusion and give us all a glimmer of past thrills long gone by then Ed's kid being in the band overall was a positive thing in that if that's what it took then that's what it took.

After Ed's passing...I mean, for all the ups and downs over the decades, Van Halen was over. If a bunch of unreleased stuff manages to get released, fine. If not, I've learned by now with this group to be content with the years up to and including 1984 that we got. Might as well be content, because that's all there really was when you boil it down.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                I really doubt Al will. I have the gut feeling Al ain’t going to do anything. I don’t think cashing in on legacy is important to him.
                                Ai is probably okay as long as he doesn't get another divorce. He's probably content with cashing the royalty checks.

Originally posted by Terry
                                as Sesh says, were they to do it now it may well have to be via a streaming download.
                                The Stones are putting out plenty of live BluRay/DVD's "from the vaults." I don't know how well they're selling though. Well enough to keep adding more titles.
                                Last edited by twonabomber; 04-29-2023, 03:19 PM.
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...